Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ashne thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: ltelidevaralak

Leave alone Arjun as he came with the bride.Yudhi and kunti's are the main players here.

Originally posted by: ashne

I don't believe Arjun was a fool. If all this had to happen he also had to be part of the planning process. Specially since he was also present when Vyasa told them about Panchali.

Yes.He is not a fool not to know the value of Draupadi.He said thus to Yudhi.MA mam narendra...Aham Tati nakulo...Iyam cha kanha bharatha sma sarve...Panchala rajasya cha yay priyam syat...O king...Do not make me a participant of sin.you should wed first. Then Bheema,then myself, then nakula and then sahadeva should wed.Bhima,me,twins and this girl await your commands.Do with reflection which would be proper,virtuous,productive of fame and likeable or desirable to the king of Panchala.Allof us are obedient to thee.Command us as you like. Yudhi said...Sarvesham bharya bhavishyati...The auspicious Draupadi will be a wife to all of us. Arjun just said he can wed only after his brothers.He also pointed out that it should be desirable to Drupada.Well..Drupada's desire is known if not to all at least to pandavas by then.Shinde's aptly said options always exist.unless we close our mind to them.I find no fault with Arjun in this situation.He never endorsed sharing irrespective of Vyasa's words.

Its upto each of us to interpret it the way we want. Why would Arjun say' not to make him participant of sin', when he very well knows all r going to marry her. What u say can be true only if Vyasa's revelation is an interpolation. If not then, all of them except Panchali knew how they were going to play out things.

What right does Arjun have to tell Yudhi, that Panchali will also listen to him. SHe is not married to him, just engaged. And Im assuming Arjun did notice that his older brothers are yet to be married. That was again not a sudden revelation right. If he wanted Y and B to marry first, why go to the swayamvar and participate, then.

He does say that Yudhi should do what is desirable for Drupad, but when Yudhi comes up with 'all shall marry her', he seems to agree with it, without knowing or asking what would Drupad want. Arjun may not have endorsed the sharing, but the very fact that he goes to the swayamvar, wins it, brings the girl back and lets Yudhi decide what to do, clearly shows that he was with the family decision.
Edited by ashne - 9 years ago
AnuMP thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
@Itdevaralak

How was Arjun not part of the plan?😕 Vyasa said it to all of them and Arjun went for the SV knowing the plan. Of course he went ready to share her. The drama was for Panchali's benefit, looks like.

And by what right is he saying Panchali will obey Yudhi's orders unless he already felt her to be his wife? In which case he knowingly shared his wife and has a bigger share of blame.

Unless of course that convo with Vyasa is thought to be an interpolation. But then it will raise the question of what else is an interpolation😈😆
Edited by AnuMP - 9 years ago
ashne thumbnail
I think it was all a big drama for the mom and sons, Sadly at the account of Panchali. If it was all destined, I don't understand why they didn't take Vyasa's help and go ask Drupad directly for her hand. Or was the swayamvar already announced by then and they had to go this round about way.

Its sad to notice how Yudhi (and Arjun), think their mom's words should be followed, but no step taken to see that there is another parent in this equation, who may or may not agree.

ltelidevaralak thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

I think it was all a big drama for the mom and sons, Sadly at the account of Panchali. If it was all destined, I don't understand why they didn't take Vyasa's help and go ask Drupad directly for her hand. Or was the swayamvar already announced by then and they had to go this round about way.

Its sad to notice how Yudhi (and Arjun), think their mom's words should be followed, but no step taken to see that there is another parent in this equation, who may or may not agree.

Indian family system always gave The power to the head of the family.Not only the brothers but also their wives and children have to obey the family head.As Draupadi already became his wife asper the usage of the word patnya Saha along with the wife by Vyasa.So Arjun just followed the norm and said that the new member of the family will also obey him.Vyasa might have predicted the sharing but no man wouldbe able to share he artfully.Arjun's disapproval to share Draupadi is clearly indicated by Vyasa in karna Parva.He blames Yudhi thus. Yatami nit yam ...daaraih,sustain..."I always strive to do you good with my soul,wives and sons. Still you are not satisfied.Aavamanstha ma'am Draupaditalpa sanstho...Lying on Draupadi's bed you insult me...Vyasa gave enough proof for Arjuna's displeasure.As per Arjun participating in the context,destiny made Arjun do so and earn fame just like Yudhi was made to play the dice by humans taking and get ill fame. Now back to the main topic, after observing Drupada'sdesire to have Arjun as SOL,I would like to present Vyasa's description of Arjun done at many places even in war.Father of the bride will look for skills and capabilities,mother looks at the money factor and the bride looks up to beauty.Famous saying in Sanskrit.Let us see.To be contd.
ashne thumbnail

Indian family system always gave The power to the head of the family.Not only the brothers but also their wives and children have to obey the family head.As Draupadi already became his wife asper the usage of the word patnya Saha along with the wife by Vyasa.So Arjun just followed the norm and said that the new member of the family will also obey him.Vyasa might have predicted the sharing but no man wouldbe able to share he artfully.Arjun's disapproval to share Draupadi is clearly indicated by Vyasa in karna Parva.He blames Yudhi thus. Yatami nit yam ...daaraih,sustain..."I always strive to do you good with my soul,wives and sons. Still you are not satisfied.Aavamanstha ma'am Draupaditalpa sanstho...Lying on Draupadi's bed you insult me...Vyasa gave enough proof for Arjuna's displeasure.As per Arjun participating in the context,destiny made Arjun do so and earn fame just like Yudhi was made to play the dice by humans taking and get ill fame.

So Panchali was already Arjun's wife when he told Yudhi that she will also obey u? I would think that makes him more of a callous human being that he was willing to let his brother (who apparently had no reason to but into this situation) decide the fate of his legally wedded wife.

Yes I believe Arjun was resentful about it, too.
ltelidevaralak thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

So Panchali was already Arjun's wife when he told Yudhi that she will also obey u? I would think that makes him more of a callous human being that he was willing to let his brother (who apparently had no reason to but into this situation) decide the fate of his legally wedded wife.

Yes I believe Arjun was resentful about it, too.

options do exist unless we close our mind to it.sweety Shindey's statement through her novel voiced by Draupadi holds true.
ashne thumbnail

options do exist unless we close our mind to it.sweety Shindey's statement through her novel voiced by Draupadi holds true.

I do know options are always there, but here the P's took the option that was beneficial for them. I haven't read Dr. Shinde's book, so don't know what Panchali's statements were in that.
DrShindeSweety thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Elders have to take the onus of responsibility, especially when they know a younger person looks up to them on par with God.
Exploiting that trust is misuse of power.
Yudhishtir also told Drupad all 5 brothers were brahmacharis, even when he knew Bhim already had a wife & a son. Truthful Yudhithir???
ashne thumbnail

Originally posted by: shindes

Elders have to take the onus of responsibility, especially when they know a younger person looks up to them on par with God.

Exploiting that trust is misuse of power.
Yudhishtir also told Drupad all 5 brothers were brahmacharis, even when he knew Bhim already had a wife & a son. Truthful Yudhithir???

That's what I have been trying to say. The general consensus is the P's can do no wrong. So any questions regarding their actions are met with strict disapproval. I know Kunti and Arjun deferred the matter to Yudhi - but, I don't think he used his position wisely, with regards to Panchali.

The reasoning that all 5 were in love with her is quite lame. What happenes if another woman who was even more beautiful than Panchali comes along and all are attracted to her. Will all 5 go on and marry her too.

As far as I have understood, this was a pure political move from Yudhi's (and the rest of P's and K) part. Of course all of them being attracted to her was just a bonus.

Dr. Shinde, could u elaborate on what ltelidevaralak mentions about Panchali's statement in ur book.
AnuMP thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Yudhi and Kunti bear more blame for it to be sure. But Arjun did plenty to blamed for as well.
1) he went there knowing a human being is going to be parcelled between the 5 of them. He was not a fool from any reading of the epic. Neither was he that devoted to Yudhi that he could not see the wrongness of what they were about to do

2) He made a decision for Panchali without having the right to do so. Engaged or married, to suggest one's fiancee/wife consider taking on 5 men, is not something even men of that Era did on their own.

There were always options for Panchali

1) Insist that Arjun marry her, which he wouldn't given the God like esteem in which he held Yudhi.
2) Insist she be married to only Yudhi which is where the disunity business comes in, I suppose. That's why Kunti had to say it.

So rejected she could

1) go back to the same Panchal which rejected Amba's request for sanctuary under similar circumstances and take the same path that Amba did and kill herself
2) Go to Dwarka and live a life of obscurity