HoMannJahaan; releasing January 1st 2016. Trailer pg28; Coke TVC pg29. - Page 13

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

BlackStar. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Ho Mann Jahan: Discovering your heart is not an easy journey

Is it any surprise that after 18 years of experience Raza has his finger on the creative pulse of the Pakistani youth?
IRFAN UL HAQ ABOUT 4 HOURS AGO

As I sat there in the magnificent Frere Hall listening to Asim Raza speak about his debut film, Ho Mann Jahaan', I felt like the filmmaker was telling my story.

Belonging to a middle class family, my parents always wanted me to pursue higher studies in a conventional field which would land me a nine to five job with a handsome salary. However, my 'mann' was somewhere else. I felt suffocated.

The journey to where your heart truly lies is an arduous one, and the story of Ho Mann Jahan where three young friends struggle to find their path is one that will ring true with most of us still on that difficult but necessary adventure.

The film's central characters Arhaan (Shaharyar Munawar), Nadir (Adeel Hussain) and Manizeh (Mahira Khan) try to make a career in music and not the fields their parents want them to.

This generation gap and fight for non-cookie cutter careers is all too familiar for many young people (and of course older ones too). It's a story about exploring yourself, your passions and the place where your heart lies along with balancing the pressures of the society.

Importantly, the coming of the age story, besides talking about the younger generation, also focuses on parents who impose restrictions and dictate terms out of love on their children. And Raza with the help of some seasoned actors of the television industry such as Sonya Jehan, Nimra Bucha, Bushra Ansari and Arshad Mahmud tries to show how parents can play a fundamental role in our part of the world where career counseling is almost nonexistent.

Almost 90 percent complete and shot entirely in Karachi, the film is also accompanied by nine songs composed by an intelligent mix of young and old of the Pakistani music industry along the likes of Atif Aslam, Tina Sani, Asrar and Zeb and Haniya.

The realistic film relies entirely on intelligent story telling and powerful acting as unlike many recent films billed as Pakistan's fist 'xyz' film 'Ho Mann Jahan' is a simple and honest story that will resonate with audiences.

Raza said that he named his film Ho mann Jahan because he believes in always following your heart.

Encapsulating the youthful plot the film's wardrobe, music and cinematography reflect a relaxed vibe that is trendy without being artificial.

Not surprisingly, Mahira wear best friend Feeha Jamshed. It is refreshing to see the actress in a more modern and confident role. Her character Manizeh is stylish and wears monochrome, stripes and headbands - definitely a hip rock star.

Ismail Fareed dresses Shaheryar Munawar and Adeel Hussain who look less edgy but certainly fashion forward.

Is it any surprise that after 18 years of experience Asim Raza has his finger on the creative pulse of the Pakistani youth?

The big question: is the fillm a love triangle?

While the cast was determined to let audiences make up their own minds about this the murmurings are that any film with two guys and one girl in the poster has to be a triangle.

BlackStar. thumbnail

Word Count: 0

serendipity. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
OH MY GOD.
OH MY DEAR GOD.
Is this like the best lollywood movie trailer or what?!
OMG I AM SO PROUD OF THIS ALREADY! GOD BLESS THESE PEOPLE! LOL SHIT THIS LOOKS AMAZING
MAAHIRAAAH KHAAAN! WHO ARE YOU MAN? PERFECTION PERSONIFIED!
Been shipping Adeel & Mahirah for so long and now seeing them finally come together, i cant express
and what an amazing amazing trailer! ASIM RAZA, YOU THE MAN, MAN! Bless you! <3
BlackStar. thumbnail
Meeting the shiny happy people of Ho Mann Jahaan
Pakistani cinema is to get a facelift and catch a feel-good vibe with the upcoming Asim Raza film
By Mehreen Hasan

Karachi

Blithe and bright-coloured, the first look teaser of Ho Mann Jahaan transported us all to a happy place on Wednesday night. In the film, a trio of best friends - Manizae (Mahira Khan),

The Kishmish with her Chwarey: The Ho Mann Jahaan band, featuring Mahira Khan, Adeel Husain and Shehreyar Munawar Siddiqui, makes its first public appearance.

Nadir (Adeel Hussain) and Arhaan (a handsomely moustached Shehreyar Munawar Siddiqui) - navigates through college life and the real world in pursuit of their passion to become musicians. In the minute-and-a-half teaser, we catch glimpses of their journey between takes of water fights and mehendi dances, railway side reunions and rooftop jams. The film is intrinsically musical, and desi - its nine song soundtrack boasts the best of Pakistani music, from Zeb Bangash, Jimmy Khan and Asrar to Tina Sani, Mai Dhai Band and Abu Muhammad and Fareed Ayaz, among others. Let's make it clear at the outset that there will be no item number in the film.

At the press meet organized at its majestic Frere Hall set - designed after the Mughal-inspired Oberoi Udaivillas in India - where a shaadi scene is situated, Ho Mann Jahan director Asim Raza and seven cast members shared their experiences of making the film.

"I think I had an easier job because I was the singer (of the HMJ trio's band, Kishmish Aur Chwarey, in the film) - Zeb did the singing for me," Mahira shared, while talking to Instep, "I learned to play the guitar a little bit for the role, but not like the boys who went all out with their training. But the real challenge was breaking away from all my previous roles. I'd say my dialogues and they'd say Tone it down. Just be yourself'." Mahira added that she will start shooting for Raees, the film she has signed up for in India, in May.

Devoid of dialogue, the Ho Mann Jahaan trailer made its point with great music and visuals.

Shehreyar, who returns to home ground at his alma mater IBA in the film, said that the experience was wonderfully nostalgic. "I graduated two years ago from IBA. All of these memories came flooding back - the assignments that I didn't do on time, the last minute exam cramming. Playing in my own university was great for me because I could draw from my own experiences."

The young actor is also co-producing the film, a striking move so early in his career. But he explains it as a calculated move. "I haven't been doing any acting for the past year and half; instead, I went under the mentorship of Asim Raza. I started as an Assistant Director with him, and worked as a producer as well. I've had a passion for directing, and the past two years have been like film school for me."

Director Asim Raza (second from right) with Bushra Ansari,Munawar Siddiqui, Arshad Mehmood and Nimra Bucha, who play proud parents of the above trio.

It was only last week that we saw the last of Adeel Hussain's vile avatar in Jackson Heights, and he seems to have spun 180 degrees for the HMJ role. Was it hard to shake off Jamshed's character in order to become Nadir, we ask him? "It was hard to shake off, especially since it was my first time playing such a negative character and I had to jump straight into the preparation for the film as soon as Jackson Heights shooting was wound up. But I had great support, so was able to manage it."

Asim Raza said that it's taken him time to make his first film because he was waiting to gather enough friends to make it possible. From his vast pool of friends, he has not only picked up the best of the young lot, but also roped in a few non-actors who we can assume will make a refreshing appearance on-screen. For instance, Gumby makes his acting debut, but doesn't stray too far from his real-life persona. "I make a brief appearance in the film," he revealed, "I replace one of the main musicians for a bit, so my role was pretty much what I do as a drummer. But I'm very camera shy, so my cameo took a lot of convincing from Asim!"

Arshad Mehmood returned to acting as Adeel Hussain's father in HMJ, and had a revelation during shooting: "I am now thinking that I will also make a film and cast Asim in it. That's something I found out during the making of the film... that Asim could do very well as an actor!"

Wednesday's press meet took place on the film's beautiful Mughal-inspired set at Frere Hall

The Ho Mann Jahaan team is hopeful for an Eid ul Azha release. Given that holiday season is chock-a-block with new film releases, the question on some people's mind was whether HMJ had what it takes to beat out Bollywood's looming presence in the box office. But Asim Raza is unfazed. "It's always been my personal opinion that may the best man win. Regardless of the masala and glamour on offer, if we bring substance and content, our film will make its place in the box office. And that's how you compete - in the midst of contenders, not in their absence."

-Kashmiri- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
You can tell Adeel and Shehryar went all out for the film. This is exactly the type of people we need in the industry 👏 Shehryar needs to work on his acting though 😆
serendipity. thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
just a few randoms because i couldnt resist

-Amyy thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
❤️
Edited by -Amyy - 9 years ago
BlackStar. thumbnail

Originally posted by: serendipity.

just a few randoms because i couldnt resist

babeee! idc you have to stack the small ones for me ☺️
natz thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
So going by the latest video of the making - MK's character has the hots for (possibly even in love with) one of the boys.. am guessing Shehryar's character.. ❤️
ruky786 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I see gifs going around and looked at the trailer, I love it!