Shashi Godbole and Shobha Sachdev

807116 thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

I understand why CVs hesitated to show Shobha having any feelings for Vikram apart from seeing him as a genuine friend (may be pressure of TRPs). .

They want to portray her as adarsh Bharatiy naari, who is a devoted mother, wife, daughter in law who gets betrayed. She is allowed to think alternatives only after the betrayal, after she cuts off her relation with her husband. That is where I loose connection with Shobha. Even after having a husband like Samarth and a nice person like Vikram to compare with, her mind is so stable which I feel is an unrealistic portrayal.
I would compare her to Shashi Godbole of English Vinglish, whose husband was not as horrible as Samarth, still not a nice man either. She values when Laurent appreciates her beauty. Her mind wanders off for a moment and comes back, before she chooses to settle with her reality but with dignity. (Though I had no dispute with her choice, I felt Laurent deserved a coffee session at least, which he persistently asked).
I could connect with Shashi more than Shobha. I felt she was more human.
Shobha is one super human being. Even if we create a man who is as handsome as Hritik, who is witty and has sense of humour like Obama, who is as romantic as Sharukh and who can promise commitment like M A K Pataudi, still she never gets perturbed. Shobha Atal Sachdev. 👏
Edited by bollyfood - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rangamma thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Yes, Shoba seems farce.
Shoba's characterization is some what unrealistic so far.

She seems like a super human being ...her mentality being above the normal level.

But Vikram is witty, sexy, articulate, affluent ,courageous, intelligent and romantic.

They try to show caste her as a normal woman, unknown

to her own feelings which are being camouflaged by her present day miseries

The CVs symbolically show their up coming bond then and there... there by preparing the

audience to meet the bold and controversial,

I suppose,

In the course of the play, by the compulsion of her kith and kin

she will accept him

807116 thumbnail

Originally posted by: rangamma

" ...They try to show caste her as a normal woman, unknown to her own feelings which are being camouflaged by her present day miseries ..."

"...The CVs symbolically show their up coming bond then and there... there by preparing the audience to meet the bold and controversial,..."

I suppose, In the course of the play, by the compulsion of her kith and kin she will accept him

My argument for red; the present day miseries cannot make Shobha blank over her feelings. In fact, they would have been the reason for diversion. (Comparing the two).
Blue : They don't have to underestimate viewer's judgement. In fact, we would be disappointed, if they hurry in ViBha union or leave it symbolically, it is testing audience's patience.
Green : If she is accepting Vikram out of compulsion (and not genuine attraction) , I would rather prefer her leaving him. Vikram would anyway stay in most of the women's heart in the forum, as we are not saints like Shobha. 😆
Edited by bollyfood - 9 years ago
shanti05 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
They gave kept Shobha's character graph just same same and the way it goes it goes!!!
Another member JC has put forth it well let me pull it for you..

I always thought there was a lot of fluctuation in Shobha's character after the time Samarth came back but well her pblm is she is good very very good she sees things she sees ahe hears things she hears she believes & trust things around her which she wants to trust but the world is selfish the world is full of mean horrible people !! Goodness wants goodness around them there are a hand picked ones yet her own family there is none whom she trusts !!

For me I see Vikram as a Devine Soul he also has always been a giver a giver of Love and hope to get same love hope may not get the same in return ... I am happy that Shobha never crossed the line as she is still married she values marriage her values do not allow her to do so fair enuf well shown ..yet sometime in life if u need a companion yes Vikram a wonderful man is always there!!

To me the way they show love here is very nicely shown Shobha is Shobha who is pure soul her commitments to her family is most important she is also a giver and expects nothing but hope that happiness prevails so till the end she will remain the same ..., her ways of rising and fighting is normal & just like simple ..

So the characterization of Shobha is this way only and in a way maybe its different & no character female protagonists is shown like this..to my knowledge.

Added it here the link of JC's post for read if u like.

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4292224
Edited by shanti05 - 9 years ago
rangamma thumbnail

From the beginning the CVs depict the Shoba's character on the same track.

Still now she considers Vikram as her friend and nothing more than that.

The channel people keep it as a guarded secret and make

the audience to sit on the edge and do the various guesses .

Now " Vikram loves Shoba" has become a universal secret. Shoba also knows that.

But the CVs always make her cry and indulge herself in self pity.

In the remaining up coming episodes she may wake up from her sleep .

Her first priority is family, but she doesn't understand that her

life intermingles with the kids and family.

But we may get more twists from the cvs here after.
vibg thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: bollyfood

I understand why CVs hesitated to show Shobha having any feelings for Vikram apart from seeing him as a genuine friend (may be pressure of TRPs). .

They want to portray her as adarsh Bharatiy naari, who is a devoted mother, wife, daughter in law who gets betrayed. She is allowed to think alternatives only after the betrayal, after she cuts off her relation with her husband. That is where I loose connection with Shobha. Even after having a husband like Samarth and a nice person like Vikram to compare with, her mind is so stable which I feel is an unrealistic portrayal.
I would compare her to Shashi Godbole of English Vinglish, whose husband was not as horrible as Samarth, still not a nice man either. She values when Laurent appreciates her beauty. Her mind wanders off for a moment and comes back, before she chooses to settle with her reality but with dignity. (Though I had no dispute with her choice, I felt Laurent deserved a coffee session at least, which he persistently asked).
I could connect with Shashi more than Shobha. I felt she was more human.
Shobha is one super human being. Even if we create a man who is as handsome as Hritik, who is witty and has sense of humour like Obama, who is as romantic as Sharukh and who can promise commitment like M A K Pataudi, still she never gets perturbed. Shobha Atal Sachdev. 👏

very well said. my first time writing comment here but love the show and love reading all comments.

this is a show for mature audiences.. not typical saas bahu same old drama. i have a feeling shobha is understanding her true feelings... as of now.. being a wife and mother.. she thought she wasn't allowed to think outside those parameters. because that is natural for most Indian women in india. but i have a strong feeling that now... that she has realized she needs to stand up for herself too along with her children... she will realize her feelings for vikram are not just of friendship.. at least I am hoping. the show is coming to an end soon so I hope they don't end with shobha being shown as an alien void of any real passionate, natural feelings towards a man who truly cares and respects her as a person and madly loves the woman she is.
fanraya thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
You are absolutely right, I am watching this show from the beginning, do not comment much, but always read posts, and I agree with you, some how I feel they fail to get that connection in this show, they should have given more conversations to Vikram and Shobha, they could have done an awesome job, this is a good show, I am surprised that's is coming from Kekta, but still it is not up to the mark, writing is not that great, they still get these negative characters for no reason, I keep wondering why they can not create beautiful mature romance like Pak dramas? ( ref: Dhoop Kinare, Mere humdrum mere dost) of course the one that I am referring to have different plots and stories but they can create a story without being negative, these writers lack depth, I always feel that, They do have some awesome characters in the show, like Nani and Vikram but somehow they could not make use of that. show lacks the intensity an depth, Still I enjoyed watching, but there is some disconnect, it lacks the emotional connect. I have no idea why they did not show Shobhaa falling for Vikram, anyone will fall for him after all what he has done for her, it is very unreal, so what she is still married, she can still have feelings for him, after all her husband is one horrible guy, Overall there are lot of missing links, they just rushed the story, and focus was more on stupid sarika and Samantha, for no reason,why they could not focus on both Vibha.. it 'd have been amazing. Somehow I feel writers are very shallow. they just think about trips and that is the reason we can not come up with awesome stories.. sadly..
rangamma thumbnail

Originally posted by: fanraya

You are absolutely right, I am watching this show from the beginning, do not comment much, but always read posts, and I agree with you, some how I feel they fail to get that connection in this show, they should have given more conversations to Vikram and Shobha, they could have done an awesome job, this is a good show, I am surprised that's is coming from Kekta, but still it is not up to the mark, writing is not that great, they still get these negative characters for no reason, I keep wondering why they can not create beautiful mature romance like Pak dramas? ( ref: Dhoop Kinare, Mere humdrum mere dost) of course the one that I am referring to have different plots and stories but they can create a story without being negative, these writers lack depth, I always feel that, They do have some awesome characters in the show, like Nani and Vikram but somehow they could not make use of that. show lacks the intensity an depth, Still I enjoyed watching, but there is some disconnect, it lacks the emotional connect. I have no idea why they did not show Shobhaa falling for Vikram, anyone will fall for him after all what he has done for her, it is very unreal, so what she is still married, she can still have feelings for him, after all her husband is one horrible guy, Overall there are lot of missing links, they just rushed the story, and focus was more on stupid sarika and Samantha, for no reason,why they could not focus on both Vibha.. it 'd have been amazing. Somehow I feel writers are very shallow. they just think about trips and that is the reason we can not come up with awesome stories.. sadly..

Well said friend,

They did not give as many scenes to the lovely duo ViBha.

Being a short and sweet story they could have allotted more space to ViBha.

Still they keep Shoba's attitude towards Vik in abeyance

What a combination ,the lovely pair ViBha. We can write volumes on them.

Such a combination is rare to see in any serial or film.

The negativity prevails every where and the evil is in the air of ADHY.

Even they are not showing the lovely children properly.

It seems the ViBha group persists there in borrowed time

Well, it is all in the hands of CVs

807116 thumbnail

What I meant to say is, I was not looking for typical trip, fall and catch scenes, eye locks blah blah.. I have seen that in plenty. They don't suit in ViBha's relation. I was not looking for romance in any physical form. I am fine with that. All I wanted is Shobha to recognise her feelings (even subtlety), accepting them and respecting them.

She may not show it to Vikram (obviously due to social obligations). But she should have felt it. There is no way, a woman in her place can't develop any feelings to a man like Vikram. She is not mother Teresa, come on.
shanti05 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Thats what we do not know she smiles she is happy with him around what is feeling has she ever explored when she is with Vikram her priority always always was her kids she has never thought abt her self the graph of her character ... She has never explored anything beyond that feelings passion love what are those in her dictionary ?? No
Idea.. The way Vikram shows passion Towards her she is not gettin that intensity pr she is too scared thats the only conclusion...

Any woman can see how much passion he has what is love her reasoning is trust faith understanding & respect maybe she sees that in him she will
Never confess if she feels for Vikram does she have any feelings???

Beleieve me thats what they are showing from Shobha she may not say she loves Vikram
But her glow her happiness resides in being with him ghats the dastaan ...

Its just pure soulful love maybe!!