Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sillage. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: BlackStar.

I don't know her personally Rupali I've just followed her career since she did Weekends with Mahira on Aag 😳 Other than that interacted with her during her LSA chat and twitter for the most part.

Thats nice.
But you are lucky as a fan since she knows about you.How did u become her fan?
Edited by -Crescendo- - 9 years ago
BlackStar. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Crescendo-

Thats nice.
But you are lucky as a fan since she knows about you.How did u become her fan?

I used to watch Weekends with Mahira on Aag, that's where I first saw her. She was my favorite VJ. I never kept in touch with her news once the show went off air I didn't even know she was married or had a son until I heard the news of her coming in Bol. I watched Bol and found myself becoming a fan again so I of course googled her up and pretty much updated myself with it all. Then when Humsafar's promo aired I went Mad like omfg it's Fawad Khan with Mahira what is happening 😆 after that pretty much been a hardcore fan with no turning back.
MaxMayfield thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
sana, this pic MK shared - this is from sadqay tumhare right? or its a new one? from her tweet it feels like her look is similar to ST in raees? I personally felt she looked breathtaking and her best in ST sofar..
BlackStar. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Hiral_Halwa

sana, this pic MK shared - this is from sadqay tumhare right? or its a new one? from her tweet it feels like her look is similar to ST in raees? I personally felt she looked breathtaking and her best in ST sofar..

It\s Sadqay Hiral 😳 you have to watch it for her, forward the unnecessary scenes but it's MK's best performance so far 😊
BlackStar. thumbnail
Mahira's OK!Pakistan interview was difficult to read so I typed it up for those interested 😳

She won our hearts through her role in Humsafar and has become quite the sensation ever since. Mahirah Khan takes time out from her exceptionally busy schedule and meets with OK!Pakistan for an exclusive interview.

We walk in to find Mahirah seated with her unkempt hair, makeup-free face, faded flares and loose T-shirt! It's clear that the actress has put in absolutely no effort yet she manages to look great. What people easily forget about Mahirah, however, is that there is a lot more to her apart from an undeniably pretty face. Mahirah Khan is an incredibly talented actress, who remains grounded despite so much fame at such a young age.

Mahirah has already had breakfast by the time we meet but when she looks at our bagel, she puts her Spiderman sticker clad iPhone down and takes a bite, claiming it's been way too long since she's eaten one. In the midst of discussing her son, Azlan's Spiderman obsession, we quickly realize that Mahirah appears to be what seems like her true self throughout our conversation, with no apprehensions, no facades, and no pretenses whatsoever. "I am who I am. Everyone who meets me, meets the real me. I don't hide my real self," she claims when we ask her to share with us something about her that not many know. We realize how accurate her statement is as she begins discussing how nervous she is about her upcoming project Raees and venturing into unfamiliar territory on the other side of the border. "I'm more nervous than excited," she admits.

We are happy to discover early on in our conversation that the conflict detesting, confrontation avoiding, peace loving actor has a magnetic quality about her as she tends to always bring people together, "the more, the merrier", she explains as she talks about how she likes to always be surrounded by people. And it is these people, Mahirah's closest circle of friends, who mention to us how their once extremely shy friend has always wanted to appear on television. "That's all she's wanted since grade school," they tell us, "absolutely". Mahirah agrees, and with that we begin our interview.

Most people only know the Mahirah they have seen on their television screens. Who is the real Mahirah? Tell us about yourself; your hobbies, likes/dislikes and passions (apart from acting).

I am someone who could spend all my days in a white shalwar kameez, sipping on chai with my friends and playing with Azlan. I'm laid back at home. I can't remember the last time I indulged in any of my hobbies. In fact, my hobby and passion is my job...thankfully I'm a foodie but I'm not at all fussy about food, just that I like having a big breakfast. I love to read; the last book I read was Meena Kumari's autobiography. I absolutely love old school music...Rafi, Noor Jehan, etc. Oh and I'm an insomniac. In fact, there's a joke on set that my eyes open after 12 am. I also like that I can have some time to myself while the world is asleep.

You have mentioned that you always knew you wanted to be an actor and that the movie Ram Lakhan had a lot to do with it, and that's when it all came to you. You told your mother you wanted to be on TV. What was her reaction? Did your family encourage you?

My family didn't obviously take a kid seriously. Also, I think if children are academically strong parents usually encourage them to pursue their studies. I was majoring in Chemical Engineering in college but I changed my major to Psychology. Even then, I knew I wanted to act. I would somehow make it to film festivals - even tried to get into an acting program. Life was different there though, I was in school and working to support myself. Anyway, getting back to my parents, they have always been supportive of my decisions no matter what they have been. Even when I wanted to apply to acting school I had asked my father and he said (still says this), "It's your decision, so long as you know that every decision comes with a price with its own consequences - good or bad." But my family isn't just my parents - everyone's opinion matters. My nani was wary of me acting, and she would probably love it if I decided to quit, even though she doesn't miss a single episode of my dramas! My khala, phupos and cousins were all like, "Finally!"

How did you deal with acting still being considered a taboo by many in the country?

I don't think acting is considered a taboo in Pakistan anymore, and definitely not acting in dramas. There might still be a notion about girls from good backgrounds going into films but I think those people are in the minority. Also for this reason alone I think it's very important that girls and boys should be encouraged to join the industry if that is where their passion lies.

You've lived in a joint family and have always been surrounded by people yet you made a decision to move to the States at only 16, leaving behind your sheltered life. Why the urge to get away to a place where you had to work two jobs?

The honest truth is that it was an impulsive decision made by me. My then fianc was in college there and I was going to leave in a year but I just wanted to get there sooner. Once I was there, I realized what it meant to live in the real world. Paying bills, working like a dog, cleaning up after yourself...stuff which was alien to me at the time. Funnily enough, when my father asked me if I wanted to go back, I did not want to. I enjoyed the independence. Also my brother who is a year younger than me was with me over there. It was probably the best thing that happened to the both of us.

There's no denying your beauty. Do you find it was challenging to constantly have to deal with the battle of good looks versus hard work or epic performances? You've spoken about how people tend to introduce you as "the gorgeous, beautiful, pretty Mahirah" but what you really want to hear is "the brilliant actor Mahirah."

I did say that, two years ago I think. Yes it has been a little challenging, but I think the problem is more to do with one's acceptance of who they are. I would get bugged with these adjectives instead of enjoying them. I wanted people to take notice of my craft so I took it up as a challenge to prove myself as an actor. And now I think I have to prove that I am a versatile actor...the challenges keep changing and that's the fun of it.

It must be difficult to take time out for your son Azlan in the midst of your busy schedule. Do you feel guilty about not being able to spend as much time with him as you would like to?

I think all working mothers feel guilty. And yes, there are times I feel extremely guilty about having to spend hours on set. But it is because I want to be there for Azlan that I do not take up many projects. Out of all the scripts I get, I choose one or maximum two for the year. All my decisions are based around Azlan. I am not working all year round and I do not like working on holidays. Even then, I constantly wish there were more hours in a day so that I had more time with him.

What has been your favorite role to date?

Khirad (Humsafar) will always remain close to my heart. Both Saba (from Bin Roye) and Manizeh (Ho Mann Jahaan) are very different characters and also ones that I have enjoyed playing.

Tell us about the roles you play in your upcoming films Bin Roye and Ho Mann Jahaan.

Saba was a difficult character to portray. She is a girl in love, blindly in love. She is also young and spoilt. Her heart rules her life. Bin Roye is a story about this girl, her love, her journey over a period of a few years. There was a particular scene which I just couldn't relate to before we shot for it. It's a sensitive scene, which really could become the deal breaker/maker for the film. It's so important for the audience to like Saba with all her complexities, and that would be the success of the film for me. Manizeh, from Ho Mann Jahaan, on the other hand is a confident girl who knows what she wants in her life. She also recognizes what she absolutely won't stand for. She's free and bohemian, yet focused and ambitious. Asim (director) was so clear in his head about what Manizeh was that it became easier for me to portray her. It is important for me to feel Saba' pain or Manizeh's passion to bring a certain amount of honesty to it.

Who has been your favorite co-actor?

I swear I have thoroughly enjoyed working with all my co-actors! But I have to give a special mention to Javed Sheikh - he's such a pleasure to have on set.

People you have worked with have mentioned that you connect quite a bit with the roles you play and that sometimes you need to detach. What would you say to that? (For instance, you weren't too happy about Khirad going back to her husband in Humsafar because you weren't comfortable with her character doing that.)

Why I connect with a character? I would say it's because I'm not a trained actor. This is something my co-actor Adnan Malik had pointed out. I'm also very emotional and I'm someone who finds it hard to let go...so for an untrained actor, these traits make a lethal combination. I do get very attached - not only to my character but also the people I'm working with.

You were going through a low in your personal life during the filming of Humsafar. How did you deal with that? Did it not come in the way of your acting?

I don't think I'd like to go into the way I dealt with the problems I faced in my personal life. It is important for some things to remain where they should be especially when everything else is known and picked on.

You have mentioned that you always try to avoid conflict whether it involves you or others and that you have seen too much conflict in the past to have to witness it in the present. Can you elaborate on that?

Maybe, yes. More than anything I think that's just my personality - I like everyone around me to be happy, I don't like getting into arguments or silly banter. And come to think of it, who likes conflict anyway?

You are known to be quite the perfectionist and always critical of yourself whether it's your acting or the way you look in a photo shoot. How do you deal with that?

That is an issue, yes. I don't know how I deal with it. I feel bad for others around me who have to deal with it. I think it might be becoming worse with age. I also think the more you are under the microscope and public eye the more you become aware of yourself, so whatever self-consciousness there was has heightened. The perfectionist in me is different, I'm not sure if it's about perfection as much as it's about constantly feeling like I can do better at everything.

In previous interviews you've mentioned that you've always been a fan of Shahrukh Khan... So it really is a dream come true, huh?

It is. I'm very nervous...it's a surreal feeling. I don't know how it will be...let's see.

What expectations do you have from appearing in this movie?

No expectations. I just want to give it the best I can.

You auditioned for this role and so did several other renowned Bollywood actresses but you bagged the role. Tell us about the entire process? How did it all happen? Did the script matter to you? Were you nervous about the auditions? Shahrukh Khan is said to have watched your audition - that must have added pressure.

I'm not sure who all auditioned for this role, but I was called in and I stood in an office and did two scenes. I had learnt them all night and I was nervous in the beginning but it went well after the first few lines. Of course the script mattered to me. After I was told they liked my audition, I asked for the script to make my decision. I heard that he watched my audition as well but since I didn't know while I was auditioning, I didn't feel the pressure. The idea of acting with him - yes, I feel the pressure!

What do you do when you're not working?

I'm always on the go; if I'm not working I'm with Azlan.

Proudest moment in your career?

Up until now, I'd have to say the moment when my father told me he liked how I had done a particular scene.

A moment you're not proud of and would like to change?

Not sure about not being proud but a quality in me I'd like to change is my indecisiveness.

How do you manage to keep your personal life personal? It must be difficult.

It is. But I don't allow people to get into my personal domain; the rest comes with the job.

What's next for Mahirah Khan?

I have two films coming out this year; Bin Roye on Eid ul Fitr and Ho Mann Jahaan on Eid ul Azha. And Raees next year.

Any crazy fan stories?

This time when I was in Dubai, there was a little girl who had been waiting for me since morning at the hotel. When we met, all she did was cry. It was humbling and heart breaking. We sat and spoke. I tried making her laugh. These moments make you realize the responsibility you carry.

A question all women want to know the answer to...what is your beauty regime?

I'm very basic with my beauty regime, which includes a good cleanser and moisturizer. I also do love indulging in a good face oil.

How do you keep fit?

I need to start the gym real fast. I also need to start eating healthy - I say this every year!

Do you think you're at peace right now?

I don't know the last time I felt at peace with myself.

BlackStar. thumbnail
Sherry, Adnan, Momina, Asim, Mehreen J, and MK's brother talking about her from OK!Pakistan:

Sheheryar Munawar:

The first time I met Mahirah was at a script read for a film project that unfortunately didn't materialize. The producer on the project introduced us and offered to help mediate so that we wouldn't be awkward. We spent the next three hours talking about films and books and basically everything under the sun so much so that our mediator got bored and left. She just makes it so easy for anyone to like her instantly.

As an actor she was just so much fun to work with. I had great work chemistry with here. We both would pick up on each other's cues so naturally, something that allowed us to be very spontaneous in our scenes. Between scenes we would joke around and be goofy and the little kid in her would come out and then as soon as it was time for work you would see a different Mahirah.

She's talented, beautiful, and a real trouper...she's just a big bucketful of sunshine!

Mehreen Jabbar:

Mahirah has a very child-like curious quality about her. She is a very good listener and someone who invests deeply into projects she gets into.

The first time and only time I've worked with her was during her first serial, Neeyat. Even though the series itself did not do well, we had an unforgettable time filming it and became really good friends. I think she's really grown as an actor and will continue to reach new heights. I remember two things I had told her during filming. One was to focus and the other was, "Mahirah you will go places but remember to keep your feet on the ground". On both fronts she's more than proven herself. I wish her all the best and hope we can work together again!

Adnan Malik:

I've known Mahirah for many years, back from when we were both VJs on MTV. So working with her was really easy and seamless. It was instant chemistry and it often felt like hanging out with an old friend just goofing around rather than "acting". That being said, she's a wonderfully talented actor but is also very down to earth. As an actor, she's thoughtful, patient and someone who really feels through the words she's delivering. One of the biggest gifts as a person and as an actor is her emotional intelligence. She emotes with honesty and integrity and is very present onset, to herself and others. She's also sharp-witted and has the ability to laugh off anything. Her sense of humor is always percolating under the surface, waiting to burst through at the slightest provocation!

She's also holistically connected to the process of storytelling and has instinctive opinions on everything from character to wardrobe to script development. She's definitely got a sense of the bigger picture.

You never feel like you are in the company of a 'star', just a very special and kind human being. That's her aura; true, humble and connected. On set, she builds relationships with everyone from the tea boy to the make-up artist to the director. There's always a crowd around her when she's on set.

We had a really fun time shooting for Sadqay! The best were the wild impromptu dance parties we would end up having in the make-up room!

Momina Duraid:

Mahirah is like a younger sister to me. I feel responsible for her and sometimes also feel protective towards her. She is soulful and carries her soul with her in everything she does and that's what's different about her. She cannot be emotionally detached from her work. You can see her soul in the acts she does. That combined with commitment makes her a true star. She is not a conventional method actor. It's hard to predict what she will do in a scene. I have always seen that what works best with her is to keep discussing the emotional graph of the scene before the take and let her discuss and argue even the smallest thing.

Once in front of the camera, let her free to make the act her own. She takes ownership of her projects, gets attached to her characters and has to really like the character she is playing. I feel it might be very challenging for her to play a purely black negative character as she lives with her characters, breathes her characters and gets affected by her characters. What's beautiful about Mahirah is that she is beautiful inside out. She is very sensitive and emotional. Although she thinks her being sensitive and emotional should change as one has to be very practical where work is concerned but having these traits is her strength.

One more thing about Mahirah is that she is a malang. Money does not matter to her. She always holds integrity, love and respect much higher than monetary gains. Once she came to HUM on a show for the flood victims. She also had to collect a cheque due for another hosting assignment in that visit, and on the way back she refused to take her cheque and donated it there and then for the flood victims. Let me tell you, very few would do this.

She has become family and a friend to me, and all her friends will agree with me that Mahirah Khan thinks from her heart and to me, that's her biggest strength. She has a golden heart and that will always show in her characters. She is always very respectful and gets attached to even the runner on set. She is humble, loving, caring, committed, artistic, and intelligent. I hope she stays like this and remains a beautiful, sensitive soul. I wish her the best of luck for Raees. SRK is definitely in for a surprise and might learn a few things on how to be original from Mahirah!

I do want to add a few things about the projects we have done together. We have done Humsafar, Shehr-e-Zaat, Sadqay Tumhare and Bin Roye. I have seen her as Khirad, Falak, Shano and Saba, and it's amazing when I think about the fact that the real Mahirah has some traits out of each of those characters. She is straightforward like Khirad, a malang like what Falak became, a believer in love like Shanoo and always on an emotional roller coaster like Saba. She has given her heart and soul to all these characters and it shows.

I like her best in romantic scenes because with her innocence and starry-eyed woman in love expressions, she makes you believe in true selfless love. Mahirah and I have a very special relationship; we are both crazy about our work, argue like anything till convinced, cannot detach from our projects and work till we drop, stand up for things that we believe in, trust each other and totally believe in team work. I believe that a producer-actor relationship like ours also shows in the projects that we have done together. In short, she is a true artist and I have thoroughly enjoyed knowing her as the person she is and the artist within.

Asim Raza:

Mahirah did her first TV commercial with me, hence she calls me her first director because before that, she had just hosted music shows as a VJ and a VJ is not really bound by directions on screen. The beauty of a VJ is to be as spontaneous as possible. Therefore, when she sat in front of me to understand what I was expecting from her in that ad, I could actually see a child who had been forced to sit down on a chair in her first kindergarten class, all restless, cranky and ready to run away. Since then, I have seen Mahirah grow from a young, vivacious, full of life girl to a serious actor and finally turning into a mature, full fledged "Star" in front of my own eyes. As a friend, I know that she has taken this tough and long journey in a very short span of time, through real thick and thins of life but the best thing she has done is that she tried to learn something from each and every experience which came her way.

As an actor, what I like best about her is the fact that she tries to understand her characters through her director's mind. Everyone sees a character or a scene differently when they first read it but what is great about her is the fact that she believes that it is her job or responsibility to try and get as close to her director's vision as possible and I feel this is the best quality an actor could have because that helps him or her keep their portfolio diverse and fresh forever.

Hassaan Khan:

It sounds clich but Mahirah has been more of a mother to me than anything else. She and her son, Azlan, are hands down the most important people in my life. I think everyone we know, including myself, would agree that she is nothing short of an amazing sister to me. We lived together in LA during the formative years of our lives and I think that played a huge part in the extremely close bond that we share today. What I love about her is that she's a self-made woman, she doesn't care much for socializing, and I can trust her with my life. A couple of things that people may not necessarily know about her is that she's the definition of technologically challenged, she breaks and loses stuff all the time (she's probably broken over four phones in the past year), and she would probably accept payments in ice cream if someone offered.

sillage. thumbnail
Thanks for sharing Sana and making an effort to type it all.
I had already read this.This interview gives a good insight on how she's as a person.

And from others' opinions as well she comes across as a friendly person.

Now I can't wait for Raees promotions!
sillage. thumbnail
BTW,I watched the first episode of Sher-e-Zaat yesterday.I had no plans to watch it but randomly came across a ghazal of Abida Pervin used for a sequence in this show.Impressed by the ghazal I started with the show.
MaxMayfield thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
sana, TFS😳 oh yeah on sadqay..will deffo watch it in entirety, thing is Ive saved, MK's sadqay and fawad's armaan for the rainy days😳😆 samose, baarish and FM ke unwatched shows/ telefilms😉
+++++
rupali - im sure ul love it..do pen down ur review😳

personally love Shehre..on another level altogether, ..it jolts one so much from inside..on execution, as much as there are glitches from direction, editing and even acting POV, it would have been very difficult to execute, spirituality as a central theme in a drama is definitely tough to embed..and effectively more like, instead of sounding preachy..sounding just right and bowing down with a universal message and teachings..

sillage. thumbnail

Originally posted by: Hiral_Halwa

sana, TFS😳 oh yeah on sadqay..will deffo watch it in entirety, thing is Ive saved, MK's sadqay and fawad's armaan for the rainy days😳😆 samose, baarish and FM ke unwatched shows/ telefilms😉

+++++
rupali - im sure ul love it..do pen down ur review😳

personally love Shehre..on another level altogether, ..it jolts one so much from inside..on execution, as much as there are glitches from direction, editing and even acting POV, it would have been very difficult to execute, spirituality as a central theme in a drama is definitely tough to embed..and effectively more like, instead of sounding preachy..sounding just right and bowing down with a universal message and teachings..

Yes Hiral..more than anything else I'm watching it for the concept.Spirituality is something which is rarely done and if its done it could be at extremes not fitting into viewers ideologies.But with Umera Ahmed on board I don't think it would be a problem.
So as u put it..its not that I'm looking for stellar performances or direction but the story in all.

BTW,whats up with their Humsafar obsession.If I'm not wrong that was the director in the first episode and their convo with background of HS was lolworthy.😆