Frequent Posters

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 17 years ago
Paraya Dhan: A big mistake
By: Subhash K Jha
December 12, 2006

Manish Goel

Ever since Manish Goel quit the Star One show, Paraya Dhan, there has been a lot of speculation about why he walked out.

According to Star's creative head, Shailja Kejriwal, "After the immense popularity Manish and his wife Poonam Narula achieved on Nach Baliye, I saw that he had no serials in hand and got him into Paraya Dhan.

After 30 episodes, Manish decided to walk out this week because he had to wait for a couple of hours for his shot. He failed to understand that there were 18 other actors on the set. His time was being paid for, so he should have been more professional."

Deliberate delays

Manish, on the other hand, blames the serial's producer Sanjay Wadhwa for his ouster. "I'm not mad to leave my only serial without a back-up plan. From day one, Mr Wadhwa wanted me out. He thought I charged too much money.

Since we're paid according to the number of days, my work was deliberately minimised. I was repeatedly forced into a corner through deliberate glitches and delays."

Manish chose to do this serial for a specific reason. "At this juncture, I only want to do roles that will help me grow as an actor. I selected Paraya Dhan because my look and character of a romantic goon appealed to me. Also, this was my first show since Nach Baliye 11 months ago. Though the soap was about six sisters, I was excited when the producer assured me of a meaty role.

To my dismay, I found myself shooting for barely an hour everyday. You won't believe this, but out of 30 days, I shot for only four days! I called up the producer and asked him how I could support my wife and child if I work for only four days."

Big mistake

Matters eventually came to a head last week when Manish had to wait the entire day in drag. I was on the sets at 1 pm, with 40 bob-pins in my hair, a brassiere, blouse, chunni, the works. I finally gave my first shot at 8.45 pm. Until then, I wasn't even allowed to drop my pallu or got to the loo!

There was no room for me to sit since the set was really crowded. I was pushed from one corner to another. What really pissed me off was the producer's attitude. He told me I was being paid, so I should jolly well wait as long as I am asked to. If this isn't highhandedness, what is?"

Manish is very happy to be out of the project now. "I was really stressed. I was treated like trash. When the producer signed me, he didn't make one announcement about my presence in Paraya Dhan.

But when I was out, he called up every friend he had in the media. He never wanted me in the serial because he didn't want to pay me my price. Problems were created to make sure I left. I finally obliged. Paraya Dhan was the biggest mistake of my life."

http://www.mid-day.com/hitlist/2006/december/148293.htm

virgoqueen thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Sop story

Deeya Singh refuses to let Rahul of Jab Love Hua sign a new serial, has promised him an increased track instead

Back to Section Stories

Sapana Patil Poojary

Prize catch: Mohit Mallik
Mohit Mallik, aka Rahul in Jab Love Hua was very excited when he got an offer to play the negative lead in Kulvaddhu on Sony. The actor was all set to sign on the dotted line, when he suddenly backed off saying that he didn't have dates. Sources say that although the actor had to back off against his wishes. Apparently it was Deeya and Tony Singh (producers of Jab…) who did not want him to take on the new show, since he would have to give more time there, being the lead character. They refused to let him go.

Mohit says, "I was offered the role of Agni in Kulvaddhu. But I am already acting in two serials - Jab Love Hua on Zee and Betiyaan Apni Ya Paraya Dhan (Star One). I had a meeting with the producers but the dates couldn't be worked out. Kulvaddhu obviously needed more dates, since I was supposed to play the lead. If I had accepted that offer, I wouldn't have been able to do justice to the role."

So did Deeya and Tony ask him not to take on the serial? Mohit says, "Yes. Actually when I spoke to Deeya, she told me that she wanted me to be in her show. They've assured me that my track will become more prominent (he has recently re-entered their show) in the serial. So I decided to stay back. I believe whatever happens, happens for the best. After all, Jab… has given me a good publicity."

Anuj Saxena, producer of Kulvaddhu, said, "We wanted to cast Mohit as Agni which is an important negative lead in Kulvaddhu. But Mohit has cited date problems for not doing our show. So we started considering other options and zeroed in on Shaleen Bhanot who fitted the bill. We are planning few other shows and may be we can get Mohit work in those projects".

Edited by virgoqueen - 17 years ago
shruti thumbnail

Manish spits fire

Manish Goyal had been accused of playing dirty with co-stars and throwing tantrums on the sets. The actor has decided to clear the air this time.

It seems that Manish Goyal and controversies go hand in hand. Comment. I'm an actor who is always hungry for good roles. I never intended to hurt any actor deliberately. This is a huge industry where there is work for every actor. I was accused of playing dirty with Gaurav Chopra in Paraya Dhan and apparently it was my starry tantrums that got me replaced by Chetan Hansraj in Kaajal. I would like to know who is spreading these rumours.

Coming of rage: Manish Goyal

Can you deny that it was your high handed attitude that led to your ouster from Paraya Dhan?

I had a squabble with the director of the show because he had been treating me like a doormat. Post Nach Baliye I was inundated with offers on television but I turned them down. I wanted to do one good show at a time. But things went awry. Since I want to work and sustain in this industry, I know I cannot be bad to any one.

You sound bitter…

Of late, I've realised that people around me have changed. I admit that I'm going through a lean phase. But in a way it is working for me. At least, now I know who my friends in need are and who are not.

How are you coping up on personal and the professional front?

Personally, I'm trying to keep my cool and take everything in my stride. I am fortunate to have a family, which always stood by me through thick and thin. With people spreading rumours around, it has indeed affected my professional reputation. I'm sure, under these circumstances, the producers are apprehensive of approaching me. But I want to do good work all I'm waiting for is an opportunity to prove myself.

Do you blame anyone in particular, responsible for the situation you are in?

I've a mind of my own and I don't get influenced by what others say. So, I won't go around blaming anyone for the mess I'm in. But, there is certainly one section of people in the industry and media who are out to malign my reputation. They have made sure that I lose out on work. But I'm sure that my hard work and perseverance will pay and I'll emerge a winner.

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/net/mmpaper.aspx?page=article&am p;sectid=12&contentid=20061217024557171a8e12fae

shruti thumbnail

Rahil Azam does a Dilip Kumar Act!

After Resham Dankh, Rahil has replaced Mannish Goyal in the role of Vedant in Betiyaan Apna Ya Paraya Dhan which is a tapori character. A little birdie from the sets told us that the unit is very happy with Rahil replacing Mannish and recently a sequence has been shot wherein Rahil will mime Shahrukh Khan, Dilip Kumar and Sanjay Dutt.

The said sequence unfurls when Rahil enters a hospital to take his mother's report and is intimidated by the live cameras. We already know Rahil's admiration for the veteran actor Dilip Kumar and he makes it a point to wish the actor every year on his birthday. If you can't get to work with the stars, at least you can act like them. What say Rahil?

http://www.tellychakkar.com/y2k6/dec/21dec/grapevine.php

monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Bhairavi quits!

The actress was unhappy about the way her character was shaping up in Paraya Dhan

Back to Section Stories

Ranjib Mazumder

Bhairavi Raichura has quit Paraya Dhan, leaving the director in the lurch. Apparently her character in the show was being sidelined in the show. Bhairavi, who played Sati Bua, was upset about the way her character was shaping up in the show.

Found and lost: Bhairavi Raichura

When contacted, Bhairavi said, "I was not at all happy with the way. They had promised that it will be one of the prominent characters, but nothing like that happened. My role started getting shorter by days. When I protested and requested the authorities to look into the matter, they assured me that it will get better with time. But, I could barely be seen on screen."

Bhairavi continued, "Unfortunately, after Hum Paanch, I did not get any good role that can do justice to my acting prowess. Although in the meantime, I did one or two serials, but just for the heck of it. Then, I was offered the role of Sati Bua. It was supposed to a vibrant and bubbly character with comic touches. But it turned out to be a tragedy for me."

So how bitter has been the experience for you? "I informed the producer and left the show for good. There are no hard feelings. In fact, the producer and the writer called me up and told me that they want to work with me in future," she says.

Producer Sunjoy Wadhwa, when contacted, said, "We are looking for a suitable replacement. Since there are a lot of sub-plots in a daily soap, so we eventually had to make her role smaller. Bhairavi was unhappy and she decided to quit."

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
shruti thumbnail
Paraya Dhan ordered to wind up
By: Vickey Lalwani
December 27, 2006

OUR TIME IS UP: The cast of Paraya Dhan
Expectations were high when Sphere Origins (makers of the super successful Saat Phere on Zee), launched Betiyaan… Apna Yaa Paraaya Dhan on Star One two months ago.

But in what will be one of the shortest stints for a soap on Indian television, Paraaya Dhan will pack up even before it is 100 days old. Star One has told Sphere Origins to wind it up within 30 days.

A source tells us, "Star One was never happy with Paraaya Dhan. Initially, they wanted the look of the show to be changed. Now they are unhappy with the content too. It's a simple case of poor TRPs that is responsible for the axe. Star One also feels that since the story of Paraaya Dhan is the same as Zee's Ghar Ki Lakshmi… Betiyaan, people already know what is going to happen in Paraaya Dhan and do not want to watch it."

Channel not right

Even the otherwise frank Rekkha Modi (writer of the show) chooses to play it safe this time around. "I've been hearing that Paraaya Dhan is going off air. In fact, I've been getting lots of calls from actors enquiring about this but I really don't know what's going on. I haven't spoken to the producer Sunjoy Wadhwa about this," she says.

But Rekkha doesn't deny that the show hasn't clicked. She would rather blame it on the channel though. "Paraaya Dhan is on Star One, which is watched by lesser people than Zee. If Paraaya Dhan had been on Star Plus, Zee or Sony, it would have done very well. Star One's connectivity is not very good. Many people tell me that they don't get the channel in their homes."

Meanwhile, Star India's Shailja Kejriwal didn't respond to our messages about why the show was going off air.

Producer Sunjoy Wadhwa too was unavailable for comment.

http://www.mid-day.com/hitlist/2006/december/149103.htm

shruti thumbnail
'I don't have a back-up plan'

... says Mannish Goyal who's New Year resolution is to keep away from controversies

HARSHADA REGE

Mannish Goyal has been in the news more often for the wrong reasons than the right ones. Not surprisingly then, his new year resolution is to stay out of any controversies. "I have had enough of them this year," he laughs adding, "In the coming year I am going to concentrate only on my work and family." The actor says that though he has faced a lot of trouble, the year is ending on a good note. "I am looking at two film scripts as well as two TV scripts. Also, I plan to produce the script that I have penned. So, there's lots in store. I can say that 2007 will be my year." says Mannish. Mannish who was in the news for his ouster from Star Plus'
Betiyaan Apni Ya Paraya Dhan says he is surprised that producers are still willing to work with him. "I have never given any producer a reason to complain, but after the controversies I have been dragged into, I am surprised that people still approach me with work. I always reach the sets on time, so it's only fair that I expect my producers to be organised. I am not one of those actors who are happy to sign the daily register and not be concerned about the shots that are being canned. Acting is my bead and butter, I don't have a back-up plan," he says. Mannish says he had worked very hard on the character Vedant in Betiyaan.. and does feel sad that he is not doing the role anymore. "I had worked on the look of the character, his mannerisms etc. And though I am sure Rahil will do an equally good job, I feel bad that I am not doing the role," he says.
Mannish has also made peace with actors Anuj Saxena and Rohit Roy. He says, "Anuj and I were not on talking terms, but we have sorted that out. And with Rohit, there was a small misunderstanding that was sorted out within two days. In fact, I even met him during Diwali."

shruti thumbnail

It was a year of debuts. When it came to making an impact on television's prime time these youngsters were the clear winners. A.L. Choughule presents the year's best debutants who have made a mark.

Mouni Roy
As Krishna Tulsi she is the mini version of Kyunki's powerful Tulsi. Ekta found her second Tulsi in Mouni Roy, a post-graduate in mass communication, when she went for a Balaji audition to Delhi. "I was keen on doing theatre and choreography," she says. But the audition helped her get a role in a show that was to be launched a few months later. But Ekta decided to cast her as Krishna Tulsi. "I am really lucky to get such an important role in a popular serial. Destiny has played a major role in it," says Mouni adding, "Whatever success I have got so far has made me more confident."

Priya Badlani

The bratty, selfish, impulsive and demanding Ananya Shroff of Jab Love Hua who lands up in a village may have discovered true love in the village bumpkin Raghu. But it's for sure that Priya Badlani is a successful television debutant. A popular face in the world of advertising, Priya says modelled for the Coke commercial with Aamir Khan which was the turning point in her life. "Ashutosh Gowarikar, who directed the ad told me to take up acting. says Priya adding, "Acting gives me a high. It's my life, it keeps me alive," she says.

Rajashree Thakur
Quite unexpectedly she came and conquered it all. With her dusky complexion and average looks, she became the face of Zee's prime time simply because her personality suited the character and the story. Saloni, the protagonist of Saath Phere, became the darling of viewers. And Rajshree Thakur who had done an Indo-French film Hawa Aane De before Saloni's role came her way became a television star overnight. "Purnedu Shekhar, the serial's writer, approached me to play Saloni," recalls Rajshree, adding that she did not expect so much name, fame and success. "But behind the success there is lot of hard work. I have done my job very sincerely and genuinely. When you work hard success follows," she says.

Gauri Negudkar

A post-graduate in chemistry, Gauri also wanted to do her doctorate in the subject. She had acted in a National award-winning Marathi film Uttarayan which made Gauri gravitate towards acting. "I decided to work on television because I was getting a lot of offers," says Gauri who chose Betiyaan Apni Ya Paraya Dhan for her television debut.

Prachi Desai
She is soap queen Ekta Kapoor's major discovery who has made her presence felt on prime time television this year. "It's very rare that a starter gets to play the lead role in Ekta's serial. I didn't even dream about it," gushes the petite starlet who had not even dreamt of playing the lead role of Bani in Kasamh Se. In fact, she gave her first audition for the role in Pune where she was studying for her HSC exams. But when Balaji called she couldn't even wait till she finished her higher secondary exams. "I got something for which people struggle for years. It's a dream-come-true for me," says Prachi.

Pallavi Subhash

Like Rajshree Pallavi Subhash is yet another example of unexpected prime time success. She was happy doing regional theatre and television till Ekta Kapoor who was desperately hunting for an actor to play Gauri in Karam Apna Apna saw her in a miniscule role in Tumhari Disha. Ekta didn't wait and Pallavi didn't get much time to think before saying yes. "It was as if I was destined to play Gauri," smiles Pallavi who had never imagined that a central role will come her way in a Balaji show without even trying for it. "I get recognised easily and people want to talk to me which was not the case before," she smiles. "My phone keeps buzzing and known and unknown relatives visit my home." Her life has changed completely. "I go home only to sleep. There is no time to meet my friends but I'm not complaining," says Pallavi.

Pulkit Samrat

Post-generation leap, as Laksh he plays the central character in Kyunki's third generation of spoilt brats. Sahil and Ganga's son, in terms of character importance Laksh is only next to Mihir. A graduate in advertising Pulkit Samrat who plays Laksh gave an audition for the role in Delhi. The next thing he did was to travel to Mumbai to play the role. "There was lot of pressure in the beginning but now I have got used to working in a daily. It is great fun," says the young actor ading, "But this is just the beginning and I have a long way to go. Right now I am concentrating on my role totally. Laksh is a very important character and I am doing my best to do justice to it. Television is here to stay so there will be no dearth of work," he quips.

Vikas Manaktala

He believes in being at the right place at the right time. As a fashion model he has walked on the ramp besides doing quite a few commercials, including the prestigious Reid and Taylor with Amitabh Bachchan. Vikas was getting lot of offers for serials. "There was no dearth of roles for me but I wasn't very keen on working in serials," he says. Having rejected several roles he found the role of Hooda in Left Right Left appealing and interesting. "But I had to give several auditions before I was finalised for the character," reveals the actor who has seen his popularity soaring in the last couple of months. "This is just the first step. There is a long road ahead and I will make my moves slowly and wisely," he adds.

http://www.deccan.com/TV%20Guide/TV%20GuideDescription.asp#B est%20debutants%20of%20the%20year

shruti thumbnail

The last to know

The whole industry knows that Paraya Dhan will go off air, except, er… the entire cast of the show.

At sea: The cast of Paraya Dhan

Paraya Dhan's premature demise on Star One is causing the show's actors severe palpitations. Apparently, niceties like the production house giving notice to its stars have gone out of fashion.

No notice means that any dhan and role that the actors could have laid their hands on is now paraya as well. They have turned down several lucrative projects owing to their commitment to the show.

Gauri Nigudkar, who plays Krishna, vents her feelings, "There was no official notice served to us. The buzz is already all over town, and we are the last to hear it. As it's my debut, I have rejected two or three projects already to do justice to this show. If the serial goes off air, it will be a big loss for me. I am very upset."

Faisal Raza Khan who plays the villain, Paras, says, "I could not do Solhah Singarr and Aek Chabi Pados Mein as I had given bulk dates to the show. In September, I was offered the lead role in Mohalla Mohabbat Wala; but I turned that down too. I asked Rekha Modi, the writer of the show and the crew members too whether it was going off air, but they all gave vague answers."

He adds, "Most of the actors are frustrated. We just want to know what's happening, so that we can look for work."

Itishree Singh who plays Koyal says, "I rejected one big budget Bhojpuri film because I did not have bulk dates to give. After that, I lost two shows on Doordarshan too. I think the production house wanted to play it safe. They assumed that if they informed us actors in advance, we wouldn't co-operate while winding up the show."

Atishree Sarkar aka Gunjan says, "I was doing Woh Rehne Wali Mehlon Ki, but I ditched it as I thought Paraya Dhan is a bigger project. I have lost good roles in shows like Saarthi and Kahaani Ghar Ghar Kii and many other good projects. Now, I am regretting it as I could not go for the audition of Durgesh Nandini, which is Sony's next big ticket. And all for a show where my role is getting so little footage that people don't even know who Koyal is!"

Sunjoy Wadhwa, producer of the show says, "We are yet to get a notice from the channel. We are going to have a meeting with the channel tomorrow and things will be decided thereafter. So there is no question of informing the actors before."

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/net/mmpaper.aspx?page=article&am p;sectid=12&contentid=200701040216527963daad53e

shruti thumbnail

There is good news in store for Viraasat and Betiyaan Apni Ya Paraya Dhan. Both the shows which were supposed to go off air have gotten an extension although on different channels. To make way for KBC from January 22, Star Plus has decided to shift Viraasat to Star One and Betiyaan… will be shifted to the 11:30 pm slot on Star. Karam Apna Apna, which was also rumoured to be shutting shop, will now air at 8pm instead of its original 9:30 pm slot on Star.

While reshuffling existing shows on the same channel is a done thing to accommodate a new show, what one fails to understand is why Viraasat is being shifted from Star Plus to its sibling Star One which ranks at no. 4 among the general entertainment channels. "It was my call to shift the show from Star Plus to Star One," says producer Ravi Chopra. "Since KBC will occupy my slot the options were either to take a 13-week break or move to another channel on the same network. Viraasat has its loyal viewership. A break would kill the show." According to Shailja Kejriwal, Star India's senior creative director, "Viraasat has a lot of potential to notch up more eyeballs. Shifting it to Star One makes more sense because it can deliver higher numbers for the channel." Chopra agrees with Shailaja's view and feels, "It can become Star One's number 1 show."

Moving on to Betiyaan…, Shailja feels the KBC impact will rub off on the show which has not been doing too well on Star One. While it will continue to air on Star One in its existing 9.30 pm slot a lot of buzz and promotional campaigns will be created to boost the show's repeat telecast on Star Plus at 11.30 pm. "We are expecting good results," she adds. On the other hand, Karam Apna Apna is not a worry at all for Star Plus. "It's peaked at 11.8 TVRs for the last three weeks and we don't expect much of a downward impact on the show with the change in the time slot," says Shailja. In fact, Karam's re-slotting has been done with the idea of hitting at Zee's Dulhan which is doing pretty well with 5 TVRs. "It will be very interesting to see how Karam competes with Dulhan," says Shailja, sounding quite confident of cutting into Zee's channel share at 8 pm on weekdays.

http://www.deccan.com/Sunday%20Chronicle/Sunday%20ChronicleD escription.asp#Viraasat%20on%20Star%20One,%20Betiyaan…%20mov es%20to%20Star%20Plus