REBLAST 1 Episode 1 - 5 - Page 42

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

kizh72 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: rulama

You are not rambling...
I agree with you... Karna is the most powerful character and Krishna knew it too...

You know about Ramayan... Ravan was powerful... but his actions and his coterie made him dig his own grave... I always felt how could Ram listen to a dhobhi's talk and banish his wife? What was the need to listen to any Tom Dick or Harry when he had the proof that she had given up all the luxury to be with him during his exile... She could have gone to her Maiyka with Urmila and lead a comfortable life till he returned... She had followed him all the time...

One thing I have noticed is... anyone with the name Sita has a tough life...

I remember my paternal grandmother saying that girls shouldn't be named sita, because of the life she had! Janaki is fine, because that means, Janaka's daughter.
Edited by kizh72 - 9 years ago
indi52 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Indi...

See the two images...
Mangalsutra used in the beginning is different... And there was no shopping for another one in the serial... 😉

yeah, hi rulama, the mangalsutra changed a couple of times i think. there's the long one and the short one... hmm, inbhestigasson as mami ji has advised, kareka padi... need to write my pocket book detectibh book. 😆 maybe fashion magnate made aman arrange for a suite of mangalsutras, so that his biwi could change according to the look. 😃

oh a mangalsutra buying trip... that sounds so good. we need one. and an asr putting sindoor with melting brown eyes... butterflies dakdhak even though i don't wera mangalsutra or sindoor.
indi52 thumbnail

You are not rambling...
I agree with you... Karna is the most powerful character and Krishna knew it too...

You know about Ramayan... Ravan was powerful... but his actions and his coterie made him dig his own grave... I always felt how could Ram listen to a dhobhi's talk and banish his wife? What was the need to listen to any Tom Dick or Harry when he had the proof that she had given up all the luxury to be with him during his exile... She could have gone to her Maiyka with Urmila and lead a comfortable life till he returned... She had followed him all the time...

One thing I have noticed is... anyone with the name Sita has a tough life...

😃

karna... so so wronged. such terrible demands made on a young man, so many sacrifices... yet he rose above that. never faltered, never became less.

sita too... so wronged and rising above.

just winning and conquering and sitting on the throne may not be the role of a hero or signs of heroic nature.

bengalis i think don't name girls sita but i had a kashmiri classmate with that name, sounds pretty.

rulama thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8

Originally posted by: indi52

😃

karna... so so wronged. such terrible demands made on a young man, so many sacrifices... yet he rose above that. never faltered, never became less.

sita too... so wronged and rising above.

just winning and conquering and sitting on the throne may not be the role of a hero or signs of heroic nature.

bengalis i think don't name girls sita but i had a kashmiri classmate with that name, sounds pretty.

Another thing in Mahabharat that I have found unpalatable is Bheeshm's silence on matter of justice... What exactly Bheeshm had vowed to??? Alliegance to the throne and thereby the citizens... But he seemed to have forgotten that.. He shifted his alliegance to the king rather than the throne... Satyavati's father never specifically asked him to be the shadow of his first grandson's family... But that is what he did... He forgot the essence of his vow according to me... Even if he had sided Kauravs he should have thought Pandavs as citizens and when Draupadi was dishonoured in the court not a word came out in dissidence of the act!

Another point I would like to state is the injustice done to Ekalavya...
indi52 thumbnail
^^^

agree, rulama,

bhishma started out noble and pristine and finally a bit effete... didn't quite get it. of course, in extreme patriarchy there's no real understanding of women so i won't even go there... what was that with draupadi in the sabha, being undressed before all... i mean what. was. that. and yudhisthir silent... all husbands other than bheem, silent. but again, patriarchy... i once bothered to read about the ashwamedha yagna, still reeling... women really were just things, that's all, in the system... which is why beautiful female characters become even more poignant.

eklavya... must read again, but the thumb taken away... imagine how the mind had to play with truth to justify that.

mahabharath showed the human frailty of all characters i guess... no one was an out and out ideal anything... even krishna had his flaw.

rulama thumbnail

Originally posted by: indi52

^^^

agree, rulama,

bhishma started out noble and pristine and finally a bit effete... didn't quite get it. of course, in extreme patriarchy there's no real understanding of women so i won't even go there... what was that with draupadi in the sabha, being undressed before all... i mean what. was. that. and yudhisthir silent... all husbands other than bheem, silent. but again, patriarchy... i once bothered to read about the ashwamedha yagna, still reeling... women really were just things, that's all, in the system... which is why beautiful female characters become even more poignant.

eklavya... must read again, but the thumb taken away... imagine how the mind had to play with truth to justify that.

mahabharath showed the human frailty of all characters i guess... no one was an out and out ideal anything... even krishna had his flaw.

You know in Krishna avataar... Kams knew the eighth child of Devaki would kill him... But wasn't it foolish of him to keep Devaki and Vasudev together??? Logically he was a fool right? Doesn't seems to know about the birds and bees...😉
Horizon thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Bheeshma's vow is to celibate and not having his children compete for the throne which he stuck by until the end. But as a forebearer of the Vamsha, his duty is to protect the kingdom which also he did. But the complexity of Mahabharatha, the fight was between siblings of the same clan and the fight for justice. Technically, Dhrutharashtra is the first son of Satyavathi and Kauravas her sons, natural successors, they were in Hasthinapur for the longest as princes, Bheeshma's allegiance with them and duty to fight for them although through out he is intensely caught in this inner struggle for the same. But he did it as his duty.. and becos Dharma is not in his favor, he didn't walk to heaven unlike Pandavas, but died in the end in the hands of Amba, the woman he wronged unknowingly.
Similar would be the case for Karna, although he knew justice is not in favor of Duryodhana, he stuck by his integrity, his word to his friend..

These two WILL remain greats as ardent followers of that Yuga dharma and marks of integrity although they ended up siding with the injustice. These two take the cake over Pandavas any day

The public humiliation Draupadi had to go through will remain the darkest mark in our history if she were to be divine like Sita, she would have asked mother earth to part and take her in.

About Ramayana, some references point to it originally named as Sita Charithra, rightly so. And, Rama was the ideal man, becos earlier it was ll about Divine folks, he was the first human as a hero, obeyed his father, remained monogamous, big deal for those days.
rulama thumbnail

Originally posted by: Horizon

Bheeshma's vow is to celibate and not having his children compete for the throne which he stuck by until the end. But as a forebearer of the Vamsha, his duty is to protect the kingdom which also he did. But the complexity of Mahabharatha, the fight was between siblings of the same clan and the fight for justice. Technically, Dhrutharashtra is the first son of Satyavathi and Kauravas her sons, natural successors, they were in Hasthinapur for the longest as princes, Bheeshma's allegiance with them and duty to fight for them although through out he is intensely caught in this inner struggle for the same. But he did it as his duty.. and becos Dharma is not in his favor, he didn't walk to heaven unlike Pandavas, but died in the end in the hands of Amba, the woman he wronged unknowingly.
Similar would be the case for Karna, although he knew justice is not in favor of Duryodhana, he stuck by his integrity, his word to his friend..

These two WILL remain greats as ardent followers of that Yuga dharma and marks of integrity although they ended up siding with the injustice. These two take the cake over Pandavas any day

The public humiliation Draupadi had to go through will remain the darkest mark in our history if she were to be divine like Sita, she would have asked mother earth to part and take her in.

About Ramayana, some references point to it originally named as Sita Charithra, rightly so. And, Rama was the ideal man, becos earlier it was ll about Divine folks, he was the first human as a hero, obeyed his father, remained monogamous, big deal for those days.

Satyavathi had two sons from Shantanu... Chitrangada and Vichitravirya... Chitrangada died early and Vichitravirya who ascended the throne married Ambika and Ambalika won by Bhishma for him but died issueless... Then she recalled her first born from Rishi Parashara, Vyas and convinced him of having niyoga with the widowed daughters-in-law... Thus Dhritharashtra and Pandu were born and so was Vidura to a maid... But Dhritharashtra was blind and hence he was not qualified to rule as the rule stated that the King should have all his faculty intact... And Pandu ascended the throne... Due to a curse while on a hunting spree... he abdicated, went to a forest to live and Dhritharashtra ascended...
Edited by rulama - 9 years ago
Horizon thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 2
Yes, their family genealogy is quite interesting. For the same reason in fact Kauravas and Pandavas are not even authentic Kshatriyas.. their grand father Vyas being the son of a Brahmin and a fisher woman (Parashar and Satyavathi). Duryodhana enunciated the same while supporting Karna quoting his Kuru dynasty to be diluted long time ago, then why/ how should anyone have issues if Karna belonged to a lower caste...

indi52 thumbnail
^^^

interesting that, indu... so it is also called sita charitra...

i believe there's pondering by some writers on ram's relationship with dasharath and how he found his father's marrying of many wives especially his sexual excesses, his lust for the young kayikeyi unsettling, he never disrespected his father, being the ideal son he was, but he didn't want to be like his father. i was told about this by someone, haven't read this. what you say about him being the first hero of the human kind, yeah, the very fact that he didn't marry several wives and was an obedient son i guess was a major thing. i wonder if in world stories the appearance of the human hero happens around the same time and if they can be compared in any way.

bheeshma. despite my respect for a man of that time saying he would not ascend the throne although he had every right to and his sense of duty and love for his father, i do feel he became somewhat unreal as we went along. but yes, he had qualities that were unique and a bent of mind that was independent, brave, honourable... upright.

and with all our talk of caste and purity of caste, etc., again lovely trick by writer... as you say, vyas was the child of a brahmin and a fisherwoman who never got married, not even in the gandharva way... so, what's the caste of the kauravs and pandavs? beautiful.

and ipk takes us into serious chats about the epics... some tv serial this.

Edited by indi52 - 9 years ago