Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DrShindeSweety thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: AnuMP

If there was no human staking then the whole epic of Mahabharat gets reduced to a war for land between two sets of cousins. All the misdeeds of DDSK become justifiable as they were just trying to protect Dury's claim to the throne as the Ps were protecting Yudhi's claim. The Krishna that 1 billion people revere as God, becomes reduced to a partisan player in the family circus over bits of land (his towering intellect as evidenced by the Gita, not withstanding). Let me add here that I don't see any of them as Gods or Godesses.

Then Yudhi becomes an emperor propped up by Krishna's strategy and his brothers' muscle power who then proceeded to foolishly lose his empire on cards. Then after the prescribed exile fought a catastrophic war that led to the annihilation of the entre clan over power and property. I would say that would make the Ps and P and Krishna the antagonists of the epic if that was true

I agree 100%. Loved your way with words and the thought behind them.
DrShindeSweety thumbnail
[Quote: That Yudhi staked his brothers and wife was just a Political Propaganda of the Kuru-camp to demean Yudhi and prove to the mass that he was inept as a Ruler. Vyaasa retains that as it is ... that is his greatness as Kavi ...]
I did not understand your point. Vyaas does not need to further anybody's propaganda. Neither of Kauravas nor Pandavas.
His greatness lies in his neutral dispassionate narration, with the complete detailing of every characters's flaws and highs.
Are you saying Draupadi was molested and insulted in court WITHOUT her being staked? Or are you saying she was NOT insulted (By which I mean dragged to court and spewed with foul words. Plus/minus disrobing episode) at all? So what was Kurukshetra all about?
What about 13 year exile? Wasn't that a direct byproduct of a lost dice game too - or are you suggesting even THAT was a propaganda?
Edited by shindes - 9 years ago
DrShindeSweety thumbnail

Originally posted by: Maverick_me

Sir, though I am convinced on Krishna's offer to Karna (Udyoga 138-9) I had read your answer on geocities by Sushma ji .

Please add your views on it ; I know it must be clichd for you but ...
your thoughts on: sasthe cha twam tatha kAle Draupadyupagamshiyati

'Convinced' as in? I hope you mean what I think you mean 😃
P.S- Could you please give a link of Geocities reply by Prof IB?
Maverick_me thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: shindes

</div>

<div>

'Convinced' as in? I hope you mean what I think you mean 😃

P.S- Could you please give a link of Geocities reply by Prof IB?

Convinced as, in , Krishna never ever offered Drau as 'wife' to Karna

http://www.sushmajee.com/mahaabhaarat/mbh-notes/genealogy.htm

read answer to question 2
Hope this helps ...
but an answer here in this thread by IB sir will be icing on cake 😊
ashne thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Hello Professor,

Your articles on the logic behind MB makes for an interesting read. Like others here have already pointed out, I have similar doubts -

"YES, Human-staking at that Dice Game is a simple absurdity.

That Yudhi staked his brothers and wife was just a Political Propaganda of the Kuru-camp to demean Yudhi and prove to the mass that he was inept as a Ruler".

If there was no staking, what was the game all about and for what. What resulted in their vanvaas then. According to you they played Dyuuta - so did he stake just his kingdom, and lost in turn?

"distasteful' - YES! But when everything is at stake, 'distasteful' seems 'tasty.'

Your answer on the Panchali's assault was interesting. But this whole thing about Yudhi asking her to come minimally clad into a courtroom full of men to recover from the mess he got them into is horrible. As far as I know she refused to come and she ran into the women's quarters.

So if there was no human staking, why was she insulted in court or was she insulted at all.

Again like the others have said here, was the war just a squabble over land?

AnuMP thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
1) Yudhi's request to Panchali in DS - Am quite certain that your take on this is correct and that Yudhi meant for her to come down to the room full of men, minimally clad and begging for mercy. However, I believe that shows him in an even worse light. What I can see is that his own greed and weakness trapped him and he asked his wife to bail him out by dazzling and then melting the elders in the Kuru court.
"although she was attired in one piece of cloth with her navel itself exposed, in consequence of her season having come, she should come before her father-in-law weeping bitterly".
The most beautiful woman of the times, barely clad and at their mercy. Yudhi was asking that his wife appeal to their basest inclinations. It may have been crafty of Yudhi but am pretty certain Panchali did not find it a picnic and IIRC, she never let him forget it.

2) DS / human staking - as @shindes asked do you mean the assault happened in spite of there being no human staking? Or do you mean none of that happened?

If the assault (with or without VH) happened without the staking, why did the Pandavas and the Kuru elders not respond right then and there? The whole argument was that none of them could react to any of the events because they decided Draupadi was truly won. True it was ignorance of the real concept of dharma, but it was still done out of ignorance. If not, then all 5 Pandavas and Bheeshma, Drona et al deserved penalty of the highest order for letting it happen. The Patis especially so, because they were her Patis

But if the assault did not happen, then the whole conflict becomes so small and so without meaning
Edited by AnuMP - 9 years ago
amritat thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Nomoshkar Sir...
Welcome to our forum...
I had read your articles long back n was actually intrigued by some of the metaphors that u interpreted...

Firstly...I would say that I agree with some points of yours...

* Draupadi was not born of fire. That is only a poetic expression...Like u said, an ordinary woman becoming extraordinary by her merit rather than being born as a Goddess is far better... 👏 Despite being an ardent supporter of Draupadi, I do not see her as any Devi or Goddess...
I completely agree with u on this...

* Draupadi was no vile, vengeful woman like most novels n serials portray her...She definitely had shown outbursts on certain occasions but that does not necessarily signify that she was always so vile...Thank u so much for clearing this...
I wish people could read this...

* I also feel that Draupadi was a very politically adept woman...She had suffered immensely but she knew how to handle difficult situation with intelligence...n thats wat sets her apart from all the other female characters in our mythology...

* Finally, I would thank u for another point that u raised...I had thought about it before but never raised it due to my lack of knowledge in the rules of dice game...
Why was Yudisthir staking his family one by one alone? And y was Duryodhan not doing the same thing in return?
There have been quite a few debates here that Duryodhan would have never staked his wife...but my point is...why would then Yudisthir stake his family members one by one? Where was Duryodhan's counter stakes?

Now coming to the points I disagree with...

* Firstly, I disagree with your take on feminists...

* Secondly...I find the whole Yudisthir asking Draupadi to come out like that...n Draupadi doing all that, quite distasteful.
If Draupadi came out of her own accord to gain sympathy, then that means that there was no assault at all...
Then how did the whole thing take place?
How did Dushasen drag her? Or was there no dragging at all? Please elaborate...

Thank You
Amrita 😊
Edited by amritat - 9 years ago
DrShindeSweety thumbnail

I think it's bcos Yudhi was losing stake after stake. So Dury need not counterstake at all. It has nothing to do with Dury being 'nice' enough not to counterstake. It was simply the losing candidate who needed to stake next valuable possession. Only if Yudhi won that round , would Dury need to stake as his turn.
Alas that never happened, so yudhi kept on staking without Dury needing to counterstake.
What say?
amritat thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Word Count: 0

ashne thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: shindes

Yes, probably that's the reason Dury wasn't staking anything. But if there was no Human staking, what exactly did Yudhi do? Played, lost, hence staked his kingdom and lost again - and thus had to go into exile. Where does the other P's and Panchali feature in this. Did they go with him just as a support system? Why was Panchali insulted then? Was it just because Yudhi lost his kingdom? And if there was no apparent reason, why did all the elders keep quiet?