Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

DharmaPriyaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago
Why did prajas follow that 'bad' King to exile? Were they fools 😆 I think they knew their King better but we don't know!
Crazypheonix008 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: AnuMP

I did like AC version of saving Arjun from Nagastra though. I cant give details without including spoilers, but for Parth fans that should show how much bandhan there was between them

Yeah. But in AC the "bandhan" had no premise. I don't want to spoil it for others but I think Govinda states that he did it mainly because Paartha spoke up for Panchaali in DS.
DrShindeSweety thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
As for ancient rishis telling the truth - well, to be honest I lost my reverence the day I read Vyasa/Dharma's vividly sexual description of Panchali in multiple places. Either one of these gentlemen has to take responsibility for that, no?
What? ??
Vyas is a master storyteller and recounter of History. He writes as passionately about greed, hatred and evil as he writes about nobility and diplomacy.
A sage is not one with zero desires - he is one with strength and restraint to tide over desires and reach for a different 'high'.
Lastly, which 'sexual' description warrants this disgust, could you elaborate?
AnuMP thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Crazypheonix008

AC is a "non-divine' or rather a more rational version of the epic. Akshay Patra which means a utensil that gives endless supply of food. tell me how do you explain that rationally? and Yaksha Prashna involves Yaksha taking the brothers' life and then giving it back again after YUdhi answers his question. Again it cannot be explained rationally. It's not hard to believe that these are interpolations

Could be just an indulgent description as well

Ex - my brother is a bottomless pit!

It may mean Panchali always had food ready for guests and waited to make sure everyone was fed before she ate
Crazypheonix008 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: AnuMP

Could be just an indulgent description as well

Ex - my brother is a bottomless pit!

It may mean Panchali always had food ready for guests and waited to make sure everyone was fed before she ate

Exactly. We must consider that the real MB is a POEM and Vyasa may have used metaphors fr many things. You're right it may mean that, so how does Yudhi get credit of Panchaali's attentiveness?
ashne thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

Hello Krishnaa, 😊

Few thoughts and questions -

"Dharma is the'winner' and winners write history'.

I think this aspect is true. The little that I have read, I have found that many events seem to be interpolations. In that context, it could be true that the story has been rewriiten to showcase one side in a positive light. One is left to wonder, what exactly could have the original story. Was it just a small squabble between cousins?

"First, let me state for the record that I personally object to the notion that a childless Panchali is incomplete." - Noted, most of us asked that question out of curiosity that's it. Your answer seems possible. I have always wondered - the upapandavas - with a mother like Panchali and the Pandavs as fathers, they should have risen to a even more prominent place in history than their parents.

What's your take on us Kaliyug people using our sentiments to analyse Dwarparyug events/characters. Through my discussions on the foum, I have come across many who have said that it is not fair to do so. Is that so wrong. Can we really understand events/people using Dwaparyug sentiments. Would we be able to discuss anything then, other than saying, that's what happened then, its beyond our comprehension' Also since major characters are either gods or children of gods - they are beyond criticism or faults. Do you think that's the way to look at such stories?

"MB is Dharma's story, because that is the winner's version which remains. In fact, the little that survives of Jaimini's version, ASFAIK, shows the brothers in a different light, post-war". - Can u elaborate on this. Would be interesting to read.

DharmaPriyaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
@Crazypheonix008
because it was Yudhi who prayed to God for that akshay patra so that his people did not have to starve. & he also, ate after everybody, just before Panchali.
Edited by Urmila11 - 9 years ago
KrisUdayasankar thumbnail

Originally posted by: shindes

As for ancient rishis telling the truth - well, to be honest I lost my reverence the day I read Vyasa/Dharma's vividly sexual description of Panchali in multiple places. Either one of these gentlemen has to take responsibility for that, no?

What? ??
Vyas is a master storyteller and recounter of History. He writes as passionately about greed, hatred and evil as he writes about nobility and diplomacy.
A sage is not one with zero desires - he is one with strength and restraint to tide over desires and reach for a different 'high'.

Found one. There's another in which Vyasa describes her. Shall look for that.

"Yudhishthira said,--'With Draupadi as stake, who is neither short nor tall, neither spare nor corpulent, and who is possessed of blue curly locks, I will now play with thee. Possessed of eyes like the leaves of the autumn lotus, and fragrant also as the autumn lotus, equal in beauty unto her (Lakshmi) who delighteth in autumn lotuses, and unto Sree herself in symmetry and every grace she is such a woman as a man may desire for wife in respect of softness of heart, and wealth of beauty and of virtues. Possessed of every accomplishment and compassionate and sweet-speeched, she is such a woman as a man may desire for wife in respect of her fitness for the acquisition of virtue and pleasure and wealth. Retiring to bed last and waking up first, she looketh after all down to the cowherds and the shepherds. Her face too, when covered with sweat, looketh as the lotus or the jasmine. Of slender waist like that of the wasp, of long flowing locks, of red lips, and body without down, is the princess of Panchala. O king, making the slender-waisted Draupadi, who is even such as my stake, I will play with thee, O son of Suvala.'"
DrShindeSweety thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: KrisUdayasankar

Indeed it is simple physics. The chariot rigs mechanisms (imagine the front and rear axles of a car, and the suspension system), allow it to remain on a separate plane of movement from the horses - a necessity because the horses dont always act as one unit.

For example, if out of 4 horses two kneel and two stand, what would happen to the chariot?

Krishna was a master charioteer. The very original 'horse- whisperer' .
Even if 2 of 4 horses knelt, the axle would still be tilted. The front half would be angled atleast 45 degrees to back half.
Chariot lowering does not mean 'in toto' crashing of chariot to the ground!
Maverick_me thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: shindes

What? ??

Shindes ,Yes! Then what should one call Bhagwan Valmiki who describes Sita's body in detail through Rama , after Sita has been abducted or Ravana's bedroom, which is described in detail
Later poets take this as inspiration when describing Shrngar rasa ;