Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Ashwini_D thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Hi Krishna! Its really great for all of us to have you here again!
I haven't read the books yet (hoping to remedy this, with Govinda, if not all, before the 16th).

I have a question which, in all sincerity, has been on my mind for a long time now. Whenever the Mahabharata is mentioned, the concept of Dharmayudh is not far behind. While I agree that the Pandavas fought the war to claim what was rightfully theirs- IP, built from their own sweat and toil, which was refused to them even after they had completed the mutually agreed terms of exile (Well, not according to Duryodhan, but I digress), making it the result of a personal feud. That is probably why the war has been given that appellation. What I'm doubtful about is the greater good theory. No doubt that the war itself had wide political ramifications, but whether they were for the good is something that is not made entirely clear in the epic (as far as I know of course) Even if we do consider fighting the rot in the system (which had given rise to numerous political rivalries) through war was going to render Aryavarta more peaceful to an extent, the age old question of whether the end justifies the means comes to mind, especially when so many lives were lost. A distinct tone of melancholy underlines the post war parvas in the epic. What I would like to know is your take on this- whether the war indeed had some larger good for the society at its agenda? I know there is neither an easy answer to this nor a yes or no simplistic one. With corrupt kings like Kansa, Jarasandh and their supporters like Shishupal out of the way, was there really a need for such a full scale, debilitating war? It is true that the staking of the Pandavas and Draupadi and the latter's disrobing indicated that things had gone too far, but again was war going to help remedy that?

I can understand how the war was inevitable- with the land fraught with numerous political rivalries and conflicts (who ended up taking sides in the war)- there was bound to be some sort of escalation. I also agree that when a system gets so corrupt to the point of stagnation, it needs to be attacked using unconventional wisdom to pave way for an overhaul. But was there really a need for an overhaul at such a dramatic price in the Mahabharata? Also aren't intentions to change the system, though possibly noble at first, liable to be undermined by vested interests somewhere along the way? And not to mention how violence leads to a vicious cycle of more conflict- the tribe of takshak (I hope i got the name right) which was killed and banished from the Khandava forest, make an attempt to kill Arjuna and later succeed in killing Parikshit? This something that I think illustrates this vicious cycle of one-upmanship.

Sorry for making this very long!
Edited by Ashwini_D - 9 years ago
amritat thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I have similar questions as asked above...

What was the real cause for the war? For years a thought has been implanted into the minds of people...
'Draupadi was the root cause of Kurukshetra War'

It is true that Draupadi wanted war...but how can she alone be responsible for something as great?
I would really love to know ur views on this...And was it really for the greater good?

And y is Suyodhan so white in the novel? I know that Duryodhan had quite a few positive sides but was he really this innocent?
LiveYourDream thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

The Aryavarta Chronicles - A review

Simply saying that I thoroughly enjoyed reading The Aryavarta Chronicles is an understatement. Reading these three books was an experience in itself and each one offered me a totally new perspective on the great epic, being the perfect mix of both surprising and intriguing. The author, Krishna Udayasankar, must be commended for her remarkable ability to recount a story that draws her readers into its plot.

I found Govinda very enthralling. Though it was a lengthy one, the detail with which Udayasankar has described the events, the intrigues and the detail of characters themselves, and each character's individual and intrinsic motivations compelled me to finish the book as quickly as I could. Govinda Shauri comes out dominating the book, garnering both awe and admiration.

It was the second book, Kaurava, that I loved the most; once I started the book, I could not put it down. In my opinion, the book should have actually been named Panchali, as, to me, she is both the hero and heroine of the Mahabharat, and nothing has depicted this more clearly than Kaurava. Panchali's trials and tribulations, grit and determination were all brought forth in equal measure in this book. Reading the author's vivid descriptions, all the events seemed so plausible and so realistic; it was almost as though I was seeing them live!

Waiting more than a month for the third book Kurukshetra to be released was a test of my patience. Though I missed Panchali, since Abhimanyu and Uttara are given center stage in the first part of this book, it was great reading about the dynamics of these two young heroes. The war strategies and the plots within plots were engrossing and simply a treat to read! Finishing the book was a catch 22 for me, since I was eager to see how everything ended while at the same time knew there were no more books left in this series for me to read. I was faced with the wonderful dilemma of rushing to satiate my curiosity and finish reading or savor the experience and prolong completing it.

I am hoping the author will come up with another series for us to read soon. Thank you Krishna for taking us on this wonderful journey with both the characters we love and the characters we love to hate!

AnuMP thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Mamatha
😆 Govinda, Panchali, Kurukshetra - would have pretty much covered the epic
Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
@Anu:Book chat is tomorrow right?what time
AnuMP thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sabhayata

@Anu:Book chat is tomorrow right?what time

IST 730 PM
Sabhayata thumbnail

its for how long?

i mean is there any time limit
AnuMP thumbnail
Nope, there isn't

Except KUS is a newbie and cannot do more than 10 posts 😆

Who knows, if the chat is interesting enough, she may want to come back and answer some more Qs
KrisUdayasankar thumbnail

Dear Friends,

Thank you all very much for inviting me to be a part of your discussion here. I really loved reading your questions, and hope to do some justice to them.

Please find below a pretty long post in which I try to cover some of the main/ recurrent questions so far. My intent here is to a) allow us to move deeper into these issues, or move forward with new questions in the evening's chat and b) make the most of the ten posts per day that I am currently restricted to L

Consequently, I will also have to combine reponses to your questions later on too.

I have not directly addressed some of the more detailed questions some of you have posed. I shall go through the posts again over the next some days and try to cover what has been missed.

Thank you for your patience with me, and if I have inadvertently not responded to you, please do feel free to post your query again.

Now, on to the questions (and my attempt at answers):

Why did Govinda choose Dharma to marry Panchali/ become Emperor?

Many of you have pointed out possible reasons, and all of these are, to some extent part of the larger web. Govinda's distrust of Syoddhan's brothers, the intent to put a Kuru on the throne... all of these are part of the web of reasons. I will add one more:

What we must also remember is that Govinda was not working in isolation, but was working to weave his own plans around those of Vyasa and other players. He did the best he could with what he had. He wasn't always right, and he knew it, which is why he descends into despair when things backfire. But at the end of it all, he discovers a deeper strength and meaning that brings him back to Kurukshetra.

Negative (really?) portrayal of Dharma 😊

Let me say this, many of the statements Dharma makes are taken directly from the KMG ed, sometimes even the critical ed. I too was initially shocked to find that Dharma's behaviour was not always consistent with the picture that was painted of him. But I feel I've done little extra to make him seem negative, and this is really the impression he gives of himself, when we view him from contemporary perspectives.

For example, Dharma does not believe himself to be in the least error in staking his subjects at dice - not even after the war. If you went and asked him today, he'd probably protest saying he did no wrong (I think there was a question about why he does not repent). He does not repent because he thinks he does right. And I agree that he is undoubtedly principled and honest about that. Nowhere have I said that he did wrong. All the other characters say is that his beliefs, which are representative of the larger system, are wrong. Dharma is a symbol of the (then and now) existing hierarchy. And that structure is, I think you'll agree, not a positive one at all.

Arjun/Partha

We are used to thinking of the epic characters as one-dimensional, perfect from the get go, and that, IMHO is a disservice to their true heroic natures. Heroes are those who rise above themselves, who learn and grown. And that is what happens with Partha - he is the symbol of... well you and I, really. People who are not Govinda, but who realize that life is all about trying to get there. Over the three books, Partha is one of the characters who changes the most - from being a womaniser' to someone who is clear and noble in through and intent. But to see this characters growth, you'd have read all three books J

The same goes for his relationship with Govinda. It evolves over time (and the books). Also, Partha was the only one to say anything in question of Dharma's authority at the dice game (other than Bhim's ineffectual rants) - something that would certainly serve to strengthed the bond between Govinda and Partha - not just emotionally, but also at a rational, philosophical level.

As for his getting educated' on flame tailed and flame-tipped arrows by Uttara - why is that such a shock. I doubt a truly noble warrior such as he would have had ego-issues when it came to knowledge of that sort. It doesn't diminish Partha in the least that there are things he does not know - he is willing to learn, that is more valuable than all knowledge he holds.

Why is Panchali childless?

First, let me state for the record that I personally object to the notion that a childless Panchali is incomplete.' Women are not defined by their wombs alone. She is completely capable of being a mother - not just to Abhimanyu - but a woman who feels like mother-like compassion beyond ties of blood and kin. At the same time, she does not have to be a mother, to be deserving of our compassion. She is human, that is all that matters.

Second, both timelines as well as event descriptions are pretty sketchy when we come to the Upa-Pandavas. Nor, as you all know, do the five have any major roles to play. I remember a statement which, roughly rendered, said "by giving each of her husbands a child she fulfilled her duty to them." - suggesting it was put in as a matter of propriety. Otherwise, it does seem quite a feat to deliver exactly one child each with calendar precision, and then have no further children, no?

Missing events

One word answer: Interpolation 😊

Please see my blog (I can't post the link here coz Im a newbie) for more on this.

The War

Why war? What purpose did it serve? Why did Panchali want it? Why did Govinda want it? These are precisely the questions that made me begin writing The Aryavarta Chronicles. How could rational and compassionate individuals like these two want or sanction the killing of hundreds of thousands. Many years and 500K words later, I have an answer, though I do not claim it is the only answer: revolution.

Thanks, and look forward to continuing the discussion!

PS. The books are not available in the US because the publisher does not have US rights (ie US rights available for sale, hint hint!)

Sabhayata thumbnail

Originally posted by: KrisUdayasankar

Dear Friends,

Thank you all very much for inviting me to be a part of your discussion here. I really loved reading your questions, and hope to do some justice to them.

Please find below a pretty long post in which I try to cover some of the main/ recurrent questions so far. My intent here is to a) allow us to move deeper into these issues, or move forward with new questions in the evening's chat and b) make the most of the ten posts per day that I am currently restricted to L

Consequently, I will also have to combine reponses to your questions later on too.

I have not directly addressed some of the more detailed questions some of you have posed. I shall go through the posts again over the next some days and try to cover what has been missed.

Thank you for your patience with me, and if I have inadvertently not responded to you, please do feel free to post your query again.

Now, on to the questions (and my attempt at answers):

Why did Govinda choose Dharma to marry Panchali/ become Emperor?

Many of you have pointed out possible reasons, and all of these are, to some extent part of the larger web. Govinda's distrust of Syoddhan's brothers, the intent to put a Kuru on the throne... all of these are part of the web of reasons. I will add one more:

What we must also remember is that Govinda was not working in isolation, but was working to weave his own plans around those of Vyasa and other players. He did the best he could with what he had. He wasn't always right, and he knew it, which is why he descends into despair when things backfire. But at the end of it all, he discovers a deeper strength and meaning that brings him back to Kurukshetra.

Negative (really?) portrayal of Dharma 😊

Let me say this, many of the statements Dharma makes are taken directly from the KMG ed, sometimes even the critical ed. I too was initially shocked to find that Dharma's behaviour was not always consistent with the picture that was painted of him. But I feel I've done little extra to make him seem negative, and this is really the impression he gives of himself, when we view him from contemporary perspectives.

For example, Dharma does not believe himself to be in the least error in staking his subjects at dice - not even after the war. If you went and asked him today, he'd probably protest saying he did no wrong (I think there was a question about why he does not repent). He does not repent because he thinks he does right. And I agree that he is undoubtedly principled and honest about that. Nowhere have I said that he did wrong. All the other characters say is that his beliefs, which are representative of the larger system, are wrong. Dharma is a symbol of the (then and now) existing hierarchy. And that structure is, I think you'll agree, not a positive one at all.

Arjun/Partha

We are used to thinking of the epic characters as one-dimensional, perfect from the get go, and that, IMHO is a disservice to their true heroic natures. Heroes are those who rise above themselves, who learn and grown. And that is what happens with Partha - he is the symbol of... well you and I, really. People who are not Govinda, but who realize that life is all about trying to get there. Over the three books, Partha is one of the characters who changes the most - from being a womaniser' to someone who is clear and noble in through and intent. But to see this characters growth, you'd have read all three books J

The same goes for his relationship with Govinda. It evolves over time (and the books). Also, Partha was the only one to say anything in question of Dharma's authority at the dice game (other than Bhim's ineffectual rants) - something that would certainly serve to strengthed the bond between Govinda and Partha - not just emotionally, but also at a rational, philosophical level.

As for his getting educated' on flame tailed and flame-tipped arrows by Uttara - why is that such a shock. I doubt a truly noble warrior such as he would have had ego-issues when it came to knowledge of that sort. It doesn't diminish Partha in the least that there are things he does not know - he is willing to learn, that is more valuable than all knowledge he holds.

Why is Panchali childless?

First, let me state for the record that I personally object to the notion that a childless Panchali is incomplete.' Women are not defined by their wombs alone. She is completely capable of being a mother - not just to Abhimanyu - but a woman who feels like mother-like compassion beyond ties of blood and kin. At the same time, she does not have to be a mother, to be deserving of our compassion. She is human, that is all that matters.

Second, both timelines as well as event descriptions are pretty sketchy when we come to the Upa-Pandavas. Nor, as you all know, do the five have any major roles to play. I remember a statement which, roughly rendered, said "by giving each of her husbands a child she fulfilled her duty to them." - suggesting it was put in as a matter of propriety. Otherwise, it does seem quite a feat to deliver exactly one child each with calendar precision, and then have no further children, no?

Missing events

One word answer: Interpolation 😊

Please see my blog (I can't post the link here coz Im a newbie) for more on this.

The War

Why war? What purpose did it serve? Why did Panchali want it? Why did Govinda want it? These are precisely the questions that made me begin writing The Aryavarta Chronicles. How could rational and compassionate individuals like these two want or sanction the killing of hundreds of thousands. Many years and 500K words later, I have an answer, though I do not claim it is the only answer: revolution.

Thanks, and look forward to continuing the discussion!

PS. The books are not available in the US because the publisher does not have US rights (ie US rights available for sale, hint hint!)

Hello Mam

First of all thank you so much for agreeing for this chat.And i have to say i am very found your books.Like you said it isn't a retelling but you just included different parameters and for me these parameters makes the epic that we know very interesting.I really like the way you have weaved in actual Mahabharta events into this knew world of Aryavrata chronicles.
I have some more questions to the above points but let me first say i have read Govinda and Kaurava and have just begun with Kurushetra so my curiosity is on a high .So in case my queries will be answered in Kurushetra you don't need to answer them since i dont want you to waste your posts as you have very limited posts to make

In any case some more of my questions

)Regarding why Govinda chooses Dharma i think Govinda already answers these questions in Kaurava to Balbadara.But for me his answers weren't satisfactory and like you said he wasnt always right so in this case his decision as per me was wrong

But my question is why did Vyasa also choose Dharma over Suyodhan?Is it because Vyasa knew that Dharma was a more strict follower of Divine order?

The other question i have is why in Kurushetra does Govinda again want Dharma to be an emperor its pretty clear now that Suyodhan will be a better emperor?I mean why is he repeating the same mistake?Is it only because of panchali or is there some other reason as well?

Regarding Yudi's potrayal.I still think its slightly unfair.Because he did feel guilty about what happened at the dice game.In Vana parva when Bhima is blaming him he does say that Bhima's words are like needles for him but he deserves it as he knows it to be true.Which shows that he did feel guilty .Yes he never says that what he did was wrong in clear words but he does feel guilty as is shown in Vana parva.Also i remember there is another incident where he feels guilty for what his brother's and wife are suffering its also in vana parva i think its just before rishis tell him Damayanti story
Edited by Sabhayata - 9 years ago