Najma - Crossing the Line

soapbubble thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 9 years ago
I don't know about you guys but in the past few days, I have been feeling that Najma is really really crossing the line when it comes to disrespect to elders - ie, Imran and even Mamu.
She even yelled at the doctor and Mamu had to say 'Doctor ko toh baksh do!' Ok, fine, she was upset... let's stretch that and forgive her. But it's getting to be a character trait!

When Mariam was hurt, she yelled at Imran. Ok, once - she was upset. But it was an accident and he kept apologsing and she went on and on! Then she turned to Mamu and said 'Aap kya kar rahe the, aapko kya saanp soong gaya tha?" Is that any way to speak to a neighbour and an elder, no matter how close?๐Ÿ˜ฒ

Then yesterday, because the training fees were too high, the minute she saw Imran, she started scolding him again, saying do you think we're so rich? ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Isn't there something called taking someone for granted?! This man has gone out of his way to resurrect your dreams! A little gratitude would be nice. ๐Ÿ˜ณ

And at the restaurant, Imran referred to someone was 'another Younis miyaan' and she let loose again, holding out a finger and saying 'Dekhiye hamare bade abbu ko kuch mat kahiye!' ๐Ÿ˜•

Frankly, I'm getting irritated with all this rudeness. And Mariam is just standing there, yelping "Najjo, Najjo.." I would have been tempted to admonish her pretty seriously if she had been my daughter. ๐Ÿ˜ก

The writers are thinking that all this is cute - but frankly, it used to be, but it's not anymore. Now she's just shrill, rude and comes off as quite a brat. Being close to someone doesn't mean you can take liberties like this!

What do you think, people?
Bubble
Edited by soapbubble - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

bewakoofLadki thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Exactly my thots...i dont know i never liked her from before...she acts to mature fr her age n meddle between d elders...d qualities i hate hate in kids...n since quite few epi i m happilyy skipping through her scenes...the makers should tone down her act...everything a kid does is nt always cute or lovely
soapbubble thumbnail

Originally posted by: bewakoofLadki

Exactly my thots...i dont know i never liked her from before...she acts to mature fr her age n meddle between d elders...d qualities i hate hate in kids...n since quite few epi i m happilyy skipping through her scenes...the makers should tone down her act...everything a kid does is nt always cute or lovely

Well, she's supposed to be a spontaneous kid - and I did like her. But now, I feel they're overdoing it.
The Baigs supposedly bring up their kids fairly strictly and yet Fiza and Waqar and Najma all seem to think they can say anything to neighbours and get away with it. Fiza has threatened to break Imran's windows with stones if he doesn't coach Najma properly (I mean, who does that to a teacher, for heavens' sake?) and Najma is consistently disrespectful.

Well, for that matter, Younis and Nasima have very bad manners themselves, so I guess the kids pick it up.
Bubble
Sadhana_pr thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I cannot tell you how glad I am to see this post!

Today morning after catching up with the episode I was actually feeling very disgruntled. And thats an unusual reaction for this show. I realised it had a lot to do with Najma's behaviour. The Cvs have gone a bit too far and need to hold some reins before its too late.

I get the point that she is impulsive, she is fiercely protective of her mother and her dreams, she speaks without caring a damn. But there is a limit to everything!

In fact I found the entire paper plane sequence strange. I almost thought Najma has lost her mind๐Ÿ˜†. A day earlier you were crying for that man and when an already recluse man approaches you that too across your window, he surely wouldnt come for a chit chat. And I wonder what music she was listening to which made her act as if she was on a high! Did she really think her naye padosi would play with the paper plane while nursing an injury that too??! She went on shouting for a bit too long to call it an impulsive burst.

And today again the line was crossed. Imran is not her punching bag, that the moment she sees him she starts ranting. I understand the Cvs want to show their nok-jhok, but they should not take it to a point where the relationship almost seems unconvincing. In such moments I don't find Najma tolerable, leave alone loveable so its hard for me to understand Imran's affection for her. And I so love it when he puts her in place occasionally.

And yes, I realise that Najma goes very soprano in these yelling scenes which makes it hard on the ears as well๐Ÿ˜†. Though I am very against hitting kids, I was surprised to find myself wanting someone to just slap her and tell her to shut up. The entire world does not exist to make you a tennis player and the one person who is making some efforts deserves basic respect at least.
It will be sad if she turns into yet another precocious kid๐Ÿ˜’. I am really hoping some toning down happens soon.
Edited by Sadhana_pr - 9 years ago
EkPagliLadki thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 2
And all these days I thought I was the only one unhappy with Najjo's behaviour. I think Mariam should correct her instead of only saying Najjo beta. If I would speak to anyone in my neighbourhood or to a stranger like this, my mom would yell at me then and there and correct me till this day.

And I love it when Imran tells her to lower down her volume and behave.

*p.s. Is it only me or everybody feels Ashnoor's acting is not innocent anymore but way too mature? And I fells sometimes she goes OTT and ruins the scene with her constant handmovements and over acting.

Its just my opinion abotu the previous epispodes. And I used to love her in NBT. Mohan and Nanhi were my favourite father daughter duo.
-beena- thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Thankyou so much for this post.

I was also finding her behavior intolerable since several episodes.And what is more surprising is that,all Mariam does is stand there saying her name.She is not so small that she cannot be reprimanded.

In the episode,when she starts blasting Imran,having destroyed her dreams by drinking in the school and prior to that when she started ranting out at Atlaf telling about Imran,was just too much.She was accusing Imran of destroying her dreams.She needed a reality check there,she was talking about the same person who made it possible for her to even think about fulling her dream and went out of his way to help her.

Actually that shoes part was really too much.Asking Imran to carry her shoes,both Najma and Mariam were literally taking undue advantage of his kindness.when Najma demanded shoes at night asking them,to throw it from the window,Mariam should have stopped her.She is not a toddler,that everyone should act on her whims and fancies.Inspite of all this,the manner in which both Mariam and Najma behaved with Atlaf and Imran,after the incident at school is intolerable and unforgivable.There is a limit to everything.

And then,the plane sequence,just a day before she was crying and concerned about Imran.When Imran was at his window trying to get her attention and tell her about the form,the way she reacted was dumb.Najma is not so naive,not to understand that Imran was trying to tell her something.She saw him standing at the window,he even signed her that he wanted talk,yet she very ignorantly was sitting there listening to music.After the plane hit Mariam,she went on and on shouting at Imran first and then the words she said to Atlaf was too much.And in all this Mariam doesn't even scold her in the required manner.Is that the way to behave with elders?

Ok,CV's are trying to show their nok-jhok.But what is being portrayed doesn't even come close to that.Her behavior is not at all loveable.It is impossible to tolerate Najma's behavior.Her behavior is neither cute nor lovely.And Mariam is at fault too in all this.

Edited by beena.thomas - 9 years ago
-meera thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I felt the same way especially the past two episodes. She could have at least listened to him and I can understand yelling at him once for getting her mom hurt, but she wouldn't stop. Her nok jhoks with the Mamu and Imran are funny, but she really crossed a line. Anybody could have seen that it was an accident and then to yell at him for their financial problems?
Ashnoor was really amazing in NBTNMKK, but she was much younger there. I feel she is more aware of her acting now and that is why it comes across as off sometimes.
soapbubble thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sadhana_pr

I cannot tell you how glad I am to see this post!

Today morning after catching up with the episode I was actually feeling very disgruntled. And thats an unusual reaction for this show. I realised it had a lot to do with Najma's behaviour. The Cvs have gone a bit too far and need to hold some reins before its too late.

I get the point that she is impulsive, she is fiercely protective of her mother and her dreams, she speaks without caring a damn. But there is a limit to everything!

In fact I found the entire paper plane sequence strange. I almost thought Najma has lost her mind๐Ÿ˜†. A day earlier you were crying for that man and when an already recluse man approaches you that too across your window, he surely wouldnt come for a chit chat. And I wonder what music she was listening to which made her act as if she was on a high! Did she really think her naye padosi would play with the paper plane while nursing an injury that too??! She went on shouting for a bit too long to call it an impulsive burst.

And today again the line was crossed. Imran is not her punching bag, that the moment she sees him she starts ranting. I understand the Cvs want to show their nok-jhok, but they should not take it to a point where the relationship almost seems unconvincing. In such moments I don't find Najma tolerable, leave alone loveable so its hard for me to understand Imran's affection for her. And I so love it when he puts her in place occasionally.

And yes, I realise that Najma goes very soprano in these yelling scenes which makes it hard on the ears as well๐Ÿ˜†. Though I am very against hitting kids, I was surprised to find myself wanting someone to just slap her and tell her to shut up. The entire world does not exist to make you a tennis player and the one person who is making some efforts deserves basic respect at least.
It will be sad if she turns into yet another precocious kid๐Ÿ˜’. I am really hoping some toning down happens soon.

What a lovely post, Sadhana - each and every point makes sense.
And yes, although I find dominating children physically to be a very coarse method of parenting, I found my fingers itching to give her one smack.

You're so right - the whole world does not exist to fulfil one person's dream. The creatives are somehow bringing Najma's tennis dreams to the forefront and although that is the main thread of the story, I don't hold with making it a sacred cow like this or letting Najma ride roughshod over everyone else - whether they're tennis prodigies or not.

Imran is capable of bringing her in line but Mariam needs to do her part too - not pander to Najma constantly just because she's a single mother with her back against the world.
Bubble

soapbubble thumbnail

Originally posted by: PagliLadki

And all these days I thought I was the only one unhappy with Najjo's behaviour. I think Mariam should correct her instead of only saying Najjo beta. If I would speak to anyone in my neighbourhood or to a stranger like this, my mom would yell at me then and there and correct me till this day.

And I love it when Imran tells her to lower down her volume and behave.

*p.s. Is it only me or everybody feels Ashnoor's acting is not innocent anymore but way too mature? And I fells sometimes she goes OTT and ruins the scene with her constant handmovements and over acting.

Its just my opinion abotu the previous epispodes. And I used to love her in NBT. Mohan and Nanhi were my favourite father daughter duo.

Yes, my mother would have glared me down for a single wrong word! ๐Ÿ˜†

Re Ashnoor... hmm, maybe she does need to be reined in a bit esp with voice modulation and hands but frankly it's the director's job to see if she's getting it right. She's talented but a young actor, after all.

My reading is that they have become a little lax with their writing. They used to have much tighter scenes earlier. Now, it's not so well scripted. Take, for instance, Najma's reaction to the airplane. She starts yelling at Imran and Mamu. Nasima comes in and they all move downstairs. Then Najma brings Mariam back up again and once again lets loose on Imran and Altaf. The dialogues were very similar - almost the same and she repeated herself so much without advancing the story. All they wanted to establish was that Imran is trying to tell them what it is and doesn't manage.

Take in contrast a scene from before. A absolute favourite of mine - in which Najma is trying to make Rs 60 by 'chatkoing' Dadajaan's fingers. It's a gem of a scene, and the viewer keeps up with each finger... till she reaches the twentieth digit. See that one again - for the writing, for the inherent comedy and poignancy of the scene, for Dadajaan's indulgence, for Najma's utter charm.

(See from 13.32)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjHiUVozoj8

If the writing is of that caliber an actor can perform. It's when it becomes sloppy that actors find it necessary to ham and the character suffers.
Bubble
Edited by soapbubble - 9 years ago
soapbubble thumbnail

Originally posted by: beena.thomas

Thankyou so much for this post.

I was also finding her behavior intolerable since several episodes.And what is more surprising is that,all Mariam does is stand there saying her name.She is not so small that she cannot be reprimanded.

Ok,CV's are trying to show their nok-jhok.But what is being portrayed doesn't even come close to that.Her behavior is not at all loveable.It is impossible to tolerate Najma's behavior.Her behavior is neither cute nor lovely.And Mariam is at fault too in all this.

Beena, I agree Mariam is to be blamed for simply not checking her. But not just her - everyone spoils her. Salman Baig too said the other day - let them have their equation. And Altaf even went to the extent of saying "Apne teacher ki kya class leti ho, beta." As if that's a very great commendable thing!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฒ To be impertinent to a teacher. And Najma's reaction was worse: "hai na?" she says in triumph.
It's one thing to affectionately scold - like Mariam does with Abba jaan, and quite another to behave like a precocious brat.

I found the carrying of the sports shoes ok - because she would have been in trouble if she took them home each day, after having said that they belonged to a classmate. But the way she talks is the real problem.
Bubble