Stalk and Tree - Oct 28

Eyes-Wide-Shut thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago

I apologize in advance and I cannot believe I am talking about a fictional show using Socrates and Pluto, this is supposed to be fun but the episode was so good, it made me think about love and marriage. You have been warned, read at your own risk lol

Also blame this post on GanBarunFan, she made me write this one 😳

Note to the makers: I enjoy a drink myself and I do not see anything wrong with Raman drinking but can we please for the love of all that is holy NOT HAVE HIM DRINK AND DRIVE! I know creative liberties and all but please this a prime time show, and people sadly get influenced by TV so let's be a little responsible. Sorry for the rant.

Stalk and Tree

One day, Plato asked his teacher, Socrates, "What is love? How can I find it?" His teacher answered, "there is a vast wheat field in front. Walk forward without turning back, and pick only one stalk. If you find the most magnificent stalk, then you have found love." Plato walked forward, and before long, he returned with empty hands, having picked nothing.

His teacher asked, "Why did you not pick any stalk?" Plato answered, "Because I could only pick once, and yet I could not turn back. I did find the most magnificent stalk, but did not know if there were any better ones ahead, so I did not pick it. As I walked further, the stalks that I saw were not as good as the earlier one, so I did not pick any in the end. His teacher then said, "And that is LOVE."

On another day, Plato asked his teacher, "What is marriage? How can I find it?" His teacher answered, "There is a thriving forest in front. Walk forward without turning back, and chop down only one tree. If you find the tallest tree, then you have found marriage". Plato walked forward, and before long, He returned with a tree. The tree was not bad, and it was not tall either. It was only an ordinary tree, not the best but just a good tree. His teacher asked, "Why did you chop down such an ordinary tree?" Plato answered, "Because of my previous experience. I had walked through the field, but returned with empty hands. This time, I saw this tree, and I felt that it was the first good tree that I saw, so I chopped it down and brought it back. I did not want to miss the opportunity."

His teacher then said, "And that is MARRIAGE."

Today when I watched the episode and cringed at a few scenes I had to remind myself of Plato and Socrates' teaching about love and marriage, and in my humble opinion this teaching about love and marriage fit perfectly to our beloved couple Ishra.

Socrates here makes few important points:

1. For love we try to find the most magnificent thing alive and hence lose out on true love, because true love is in the eye of the beholder. A stalk magnificent to me might not be magnificent to others.       Raman might not be a perfect man for many on the forum, but he is the most magnificent stalk in Ishita's eyes, and Ishita the most magnificent stalk in Raman's eyes.
  2. In our immaturity we search for perfection and err in love, and hence Pluto returns empty in search of love, Raman searched for perfection in the form of Shagun and returned empty handed. Love between mature adults is finding perfection in our imperfect partners, like Ishita does in Raman and like Raman does in Ishita.
  3. In marriage, Plato states that due to his previous experience he chops the first good' tree because he did not want to miss the opportunity. This marriage is a second opportunity at gaining love for Ishra, so they might not be the tallest' tree but are good' trees for each other. Marriage is a process of falling in love with all of your spouse and not a part that is most appealing.

Raman and Ishita might not be the most magnificent and/or tallest tree in the forest but they are good' trees for each other. Today Raman in his drunken stupor expressed his desire to be close to the one he loves the most, the one he craves, the one he wants to touch and the one he wants only for himself. We saw a husband being possessive, expressing his desires, and expressing his grief at the 'indifference' of his wife towards him. A man fighting with his past, walking with the crutches of alcohol towards his desire, his wife.  His alcoholic tendencies and his behavior last night might not be very knightly but Ishita didn't fall in love and marry a knight she married a man who is her Hero. And her hero isn't a knight, he is man with many flaws, Ishita married the man and his flaws, now she is trying to fall in love with his flaws. She didn't have to deal with Raman in his drunkard state, she didn't have to answer back to his slurred speech, she didn't have to tolerate his alcoholic breath and those accusing eyes but she did! Love is often difficult, and very hard to navigate but we don't fall in love with the tallest stalk, we cut down the tree that is just about right for us and in our eyes that tree becomes the tallest' tree.  Raman with all his flaws remains the 'tallest' tree in Ishita's eyes, and Ishita with all her flaws and her insecurities remains the 'tallest' tree in Raman's eyes.

Inspite of all the hate Raman has towards Ishita, he is unable to take his eyes from his 'tallest' tree. He opens the door to ensure she enters his house and remain close to him, he stares at the bracelet to remind him of her love and her 'betrayal', he keeps rubbing the bracelet to see if he can rub off the 'betrayal' but how can he rub off a smudge that exists in his mind.

Ishita on the other hand, far away from the crutches of alcohol wanted to be coddled by her mother today, she needed her mother's lap after she bore her husband's hateful rant, she needed her family's support to forget her husband's accusing eyes. Ishita being Ishita, still hurting decided to return to her husband to be his support not knowing that she is the medicine he needs to heal while she remains the reason he bleeds.

The truth is, everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for.

Edited by Eyes-Wide-Shut - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Gan- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Awesome albeit a bit philosophical ...but it fit the episode like today's, explained the Ishra equation well... This observation is mindblowing:

"Ishita being Ishita, still hurting decided to return to her husband to be his support not knowing that she is the medicine he needs to heal while she remains the reason he bleeds."

great job...And don't say I'm making you blush..I tried to tone down my 1st impression superlatives.

I may add something later tonight.😳
Edited by GanBarunFan - 9 years ago
-kri- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
WOW... What was that? Literally bewitched by that writing... 
People say that Raman did a grave by forcing himself on his wife... Those dialogues were derogatory, his approach was not pleasant but he didn't stoop low before my eyes after this incident... Ishita pushed Raman to the floor because he allowed her to do so...  Raman was stronger enough to subjugate his wife but he didn't want that...

Since last night, he has been breathing with the fear of losing his love... He got drunk even while witnessing his desire moving with another man... He was touching her...right before his eyes when he couldn't take that liberty with her. 

Then, he degraded himself that he's unworthy of Ishita because he couldn't satisfy her... He couldn't stop her from seeking another man... So, he agreed that there is a lacuna in their relationship...

With all these thoughts circulating inside his mind, he took one wrong step...His approach was wrong but the fact was right... There was no 'Intimacy' between them... (Finally, i got that Ruby but i'm restricting myself here. That was a mature thought and this is a public forum) He didn't want to let go of her... Intoxicated by her desire and the love which he has for her, he forced himself on her... But, he allowed Ishita to push him away...That was where his love prevailed over his passion. After opening his eyes, the first thought to strike him was his behaviour towards Ishita... There has was, RKB whom we have been loving from day one of YHM...

cv's clearly have a vision and i respect the same... Thanks for this post yaar...
Edited by krikumar.91 - 9 years ago
---CoCo--- thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
res
****Edited****

Hey Sia! great post again. What can I say about today's episode because you just took the words out of my mouth. 👏

Your chose of philosophy fits the perfect scenario about the current situation in Ishra's marriage. You are right Ishra fell in love with each other and their flaws. I didnt like Raman manhandling Ishita and thankful he drank enough to be pushed by Ishita. I am glad she stood up for herself. These two are way to much in love. After the way Raman treated Ishita, she still went to check if he was okay. Raman has this so called hate for Ishita but he opened the door to his house and when he realized what he had done he feared that she left him for good. This is called love and marriage. Loving your spouse when they don't deserved to be loved. Sticking with them through the bad times too. Ishra will get through this and their relationship will be stronger.

Again beautifully written.😃

Edited by cocololo123 - 9 years ago
Amii90 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Take a bow, Doc!! This is just amazing & this whole philosophical bit actually brought a smile to my face! How true though!!!! Ju are going good my friend 👍🏼
Let-It-Go thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

I have found the paradox, that if you love
until it hurts, there can be no more hurt,
only more love.
-Mother Teresa

Hii.
I have read so many post of yours and honestly, they just hit bang on !
The story ! Oh Man.. I can read that one paragraph all my life to guide me through.

Coming to Ishita and Raman.
The very first scene was immensely significant. Raman was angry at Ishita, he hated her for her betrayal yet opened the door of his house for her. He could have walked through (like he always does) to let Ishita figure if she wants to enter or not but didnt. He opened for her.

How madly does he despise her at that moment but he doesnt want to let her go. He is not ready to give up on her (Aani, I remember you here. ) He will try to bring Ishita back to him, he will always leave option for Ishita with open heart.
And then, when Ishita - How much she hated the man in question, she went in. She could have slept on the sofa for the rest of the nightor could have just walked through the room & return back without noticing him but despite that She went in and saw him broken. How much he shatter her, but she will still be there to heal him.

The Ishra scene was epic - though I detest the thing of a man forcing on a woman but what highlighted for me after I saw the episode again was Raman's turmoil. He wanted to shout about Mani, with every line there was question left and not a full stop. "Kisi aur ka haath thamna hai?"
"kisi aur ke pass jaaana hai?"
He probed her to let out her heart. More than fighting with Ishita, he fought with himself.
This scene only gave me the satisfaction that Raman will not give up on Ishita even if he have to fight with world for her.

Ishita - I cant describe what she went through. The man he loved, tore her apart. Applied all sought of allegations on her but when she is in trouble the first person she ran to was her husband. The husband whom she took steps for 6 months, whom she expected to trust her, whom she confided in but when she opened the door- it was not her husband but was the man lurking in his past, an unknown to her.

Today we completed a complete circle but this time Ishita will face the man haunted by his past & broken by his present while Raman will again lurk in darkness only to be pulled out in lightEdited by Let-It-Go - 9 years ago
sravvu74 thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Hellooo eyes wide shut(don't know ur name) . I only have two sentences to say for your post: 1. Amazing analysis
2. I am a BIG FAN of you and ur writings. Bas...
Eyes-Wide-Shut thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks for all the wonderful comments, I have to run some errands but I will come back and reply to all your beautiful posts 😊
-HoneyDukes- thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
B.R.I.L.L.I.A.N.T. is the word doc.. ⭐️
I can't even imagine how you do this.. This is writing to PERFECTION ❤️
Frankly, I don't have words and praise this one because it just was APT to the core. My words can't do justice to yours..😳😆

Thank you so much for this beautiful piece of writing.. 😃
usaonly thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Wonderful post I always waitng for your writing.It give me  a peace of mind better than point out who is right and who is wrong. No one perfect it is true.And  one more thing that you are right SHOULD NOT DRINK AND DRIVE.Thanks for remind everybody for safety first.👏👏👏