Interview with Asif Sheikh ie 'Younis Baig'

soapbubble thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 9 years ago

TV shows of today lack 'soul' - Asif Sheikh

Asif Sheikh, the veteran actor is happy that he has bagged a show that is creatively satisfying in Tum Saath Ho Jab Apne on Sony PAL. "This is one of the best shows that I have done in a very long time. It is different and genuinely a beautiful project. I feel glad to be a part of it," avers the actor.

Tell him that in spite of having a different concept, the show has not yet clicked with the masses in terms of ratings, and he explains, "The channel (Sony PAL) is a new one and I am sure it will take time to pick up. But people who have seen the show have definitely liked it a lot. Also with Bigg Boss being on air at the same time, people must be hooked to that (laughs). But after a long time a show with such warmth is seen on TV."

The actor interestingly has been part of Hum Log, the first TV opera. Talking about the vast changes TV has seen over the years, he states, "Honestly I feel the soul is missing from shows these days. Everything has become mechanical. There is hardly time for writers and actors to think and work creatively; it's all a rat race now. Having said this, technically we have surely become much more advanced."

"The problem also lies with the audience who do not wish to get evolved. They are still stuck with the saas bahu sagas. I think we need to bring out different shows to educate audience with the variety TV can offer. Look at world cinema; it has gone to great heights. As an actor I also believe in variety and have thus taken a break from comedy to try something else. I feel it's time to move ahead and take some risk, for that will only benefit us in the long run," adds Asif.

The actor was also recently seen spoofing Arnab Goswami in Ekkees Toppon Ki Salaami. On that particular stint, Asif says, "I changed the name last moment to Arnab Sharma, to make it a combination of Arnab and Rajat Sharma. I hope to try interesting roles next in movies in the coming days."

Good luck Asif!

From TC

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nicki11 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
well he is wright show is different and genuinely a beautiful project and I love it and also I do believe if it was coming on any other channel or even on sony it would have been much more hit because sony pal is a new channel and most people don't get it or know about it and I don't even get the channel so I watch it online.
Edited by nicki11 - 9 years ago
AreYaar thumbnail
Thanks for sharing!
So he was a part of Hum Log too? Interesting! This show deffo has an old world DD charm to it and one can see the actors themselves valuing that...he's doing a fab job as Younis👏

Hmm so the ratings are low indeed...I figured...such shows never get their due...now let's see how long Sony Pal supports this show and whether or not they let it run it's course the way it's supposed to.

This is the total other extreme end of the spectrum from Big Boss...lol so ofcourse majority of people in India will pick the crazy drama of Big Boss to watch rather than the sweet, simple show that this is.
soapbubble thumbnail

Originally posted by: nicki11

well is wright show is different and genuinely a beautiful project and I love it and also I do believe if it was coming on any other channel like or even on sony it would have been much more hit because sony pal I don't even get the channel so I watch it online.

Oh what a pity! I hope it gets its due though - the channel will pick up I hope.
soapbubble thumbnail

Originally posted by: AreYaar

Thanks for sharing!

So he was a part of Hum Log too? Interesting! This show deffo has an old world DD charm to it and one can see the actors themselves valuing that...he's doing a fab job as Younis👏

Hmm so the ratings are low indeed...I figured...such shows never get their due...now let's see how long Sony Pal supports this show and whether or not they let it run it's course the way it's supposed to.

This is the total other extreme end of the spectrum from Big Boss...lol so ofcourse majority of people in India will pick the crazy drama of Big Boss to watch rather than the sweet, simple show that this is.

Yes, I was surprised about the Hum Log info too! I dug around a bit and found out that he played the role of Prince Ajay Singh, the man Kamya (Nanhe's former girlfriend) married.
I can imagine that he's enjoying Younis Baig thoroughly! There are so many shades to the character, any actor would love it.

I don't know about ratings but I'm really happy to have such a quality show to watch. Good writing, nice, slow, even pacing of story, build up of sub-plots and peripheral characters, a comedy track (which we don't see these days), relatable scenes... and all set in an old world, with old values, with ordinary people like school teachers, small enterprises and postmen.

And like you say, there is Bigg Boss competing. 😕 I hope TSHJA picks up once BB is over. Sony needs to push!
Bubble

Swetha-Sai thumbnail
Thanks for sharing! :)
Asif S is doing a fabulous job as Younis Baig! 👏
Allbut1 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
One question though, how does that TC reporter know what the TRPs of TSHJA are? As far as I know, the TRPs of individual Sony Pal shows have not been released to the public...none of the sites that release TRPs have their numbers! Like I understand that the PH and actors would know about it, but the interviewer making that claim is interesting!

Honestly though, like Asif sir said the TRPs of all Sony Pal shows are on the very low end, so we can't single out any one show for that! It's a brand new channel launched off Sony TV which isn't doing very well itself, despite being a really old GEC. It's going to take time for Pal to pick up, and I just hope that they don't start handing out cancellations before that can happen!

As for Asif sir, he's doing a fantastic job as Younis, and I am so glad that he's having a good time playing the character!
nicki11 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
I don't see much advertising for the channel or shows .
sony should advertise sony pal shows on sony so more people know about it.