Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
You know
A show like that is going to be COMPLETE,, BIG , FLOPπŸ˜†
AnuMP thumbnail
Nidhi
I am a Drau fan. I am not arguing she was an atheist. And even if she was I wouldnt care. But the general vibe of the Indian version points to her being an impulsive and venomous sort. The 'andhe ka putr' and 'sootaputr' comments are both there in KMG translation, I believe, but not in CE

My point was not about that. By looking at other versions or by choosing to believe them we are not opening Drau up to any more ridicule than the Indian version does

I looked at the Kakawin version and it does explain a lot of things for me. By bringing it up in this thread, I dont think I did Drau any harmπŸ˜•. And I am more and more inclined to believe it, the more I read about it.

I tend to look at these characters as historical characters anyway and very much human. So, I will leave the conjecturing about who did and did not go to heaven and why and in what order, to others. My personal belief is that Vyasa was tying up all loose ends nicely and couldnt explain her being a wife and widow at the same time
amritat thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: AnuMP

Arjun -

You led her away from her father's house, didnt you feel ANY responsibility to protect her from you older brother?
You went off on a 12 year exile and came home with thrice over re-married? Were you trying to beat Drau's record?πŸ˜²πŸ˜†
Why didnt you object during DS/VH? Is your obligation to your brother bigger than your obligation to protect a wife?
Worst, why did you leave your wife at the bottom of the cliff to die alone, when her only 'sin', per Dharma raj, was loving YOU more?😭

Agreed...especially the fourth one... πŸ‘
As much as I love Arjun's character...I just cannot take how he didnt even turn to look back for once...
Granted he was observing Yoga...n he didnt turn even wen his other brothers fell...
But none of his brothers fell bcoz of him...but Draupadi fell bcoz she loved Arjun more... 😭

Y did he not look back once like Bhima? 😭
Edited by amritat - 9 years ago
amritat thumbnail

Nidhi

I am a Drau fan. I am not arguing she was an atheist. And even if she was I wouldnt care. But the general vibe of the Indian version points to her being an impulsive and venomous sort. The 'andhe ka putr' and 'sootaputr' comments are both there in KMG translation, I believe, but not in CE

My point was not about that. By looking at other versions or by choosing to believe them we are not opening Drau up to any more ridicule than the Indian version does

I looked at the Kakawin version and it does explain a lot of things for me. By bringing it up in this thread, I dont think I did Drau any harmπŸ˜•. And I am more and more inclined to believe it, the more I read about it.

I tend to look at these characters as historical characters anyway and very much human. So, I will leave the conjecturing about who did and did not go to heaven and why and in what order, to others. My personal belief is that Vyasa was tying up all loose ends nicely and couldnt explain her being a wife and widow at the same time

Andha Ka Putra Andha is not there in KMG...
In fact her name is not even mentioned in the scene where everyone laughed...

Its only later wen Duryodhan is venting out his frustration to Dhritarashtra that he says that Draupadi had laughed at him...if I am not wrong...
AnuMP thumbnail
You are right, Amrita. We had discussed previously on IF😳
Factual error. My point though, was that our versions do paint Drau in a bad light on their own. Why are we afraid to look at other versions? Its not as though we have the original manuscripts written in Ganesha's hand to compare to! These were all oral traditions handed down from generation to generation that some have put on record, centuries, even millenia, later

So who is to say ours is right and theirs is wrong? There are people who believe Kakawin version is less adulterated. I dont know enough to argue that point. What I am saying is that I am finding explanations I can buy to some of the Qs I have had about the Indian version. Therefore, I choose to believe that one

Challenging long-held ideas is a good thingπŸ˜†, esp as Draupadi herself did it. Facts that we do have, cannot hope to confirm any version as we have so little facts. But a version cannot go against a person's character and the circumstances, as it would with Karna-Draupadi. But if we wonder if Drau was married only to Yudhi, its certainly a possibility even in the same set of circumstances and with Drau's personality as we know it

Edited by AnuMP - 9 years ago
amritat thumbnail
I guess if all the versions of Mahabharat are brought together n the common facts skimmed out...from both Indian n foreign versions...
Then those fact together may create a text closest to the actual Mahabharat...

But that is an impossible task, as it would require scholars of a high degree n due to diverse languages, it would require a lot of effort...
AnuMP thumbnail

Originally posted by: amritat

I guess if all the versions of Mahabharat are brought together n the common facts skimmed out...from both Indian n foreign versions...
Then those fact together may create a text closest to the actual Mahabharat...

But that is an impossible task, as it would require scholars of a high degree n due to diverse languages, it would require a lot of effort...

Someone who is independently wealthy tooπŸ˜†. That kind of work doesnt pay!
amritat thumbnail

Someone who is independently wealthy tooπŸ˜†. That kind of work doesnt pay!

Hmm...it would require a LOT of marketting...someone like Chetan Bhagat can give tips... πŸ˜†
But lets imagine...if such version can be created...hypothetically... πŸ˜‰ ...n promoted widely, it might clear the misconceptions about various characters of Mahabharat...
People will realize that 'Khalnayika' 😑 wasnt as vicious as people make her out to be...n not all 'heroes' were washed n cleaned angels as they are popularly believed to be... πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜†
Maverick_me thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Anu I didn't say you meant harm to Drau; where did you get that from?πŸ˜”
My objection is with the perception that people have , they use these instances to put her down and in this process they put down her husbands also saying they didn't love her or cared for her specially using the Mahaprasthanika
You asked me : " If you look at the Yudhi-Drau convo during Vana Parva when she is accused of being bitter and venomous (general impression, not the same words) or when he has Yudhi say it was a sin to love Arjun?"
I wrote what I felt from reading CE and I also know there are no satisfactory explanations
And I repeat andhe ka putra statement is attributed to her as late as 1960's
In dharmakshetra they used fake incidents of she being attracted to karna and the andhe ka... to build up a fake case they have to resort to this . It only means that Draupadi was sinless
LiveYourDream thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I am most looking forward to the episodes where they will have Kunti on the stand...want to see what great justifications she is going to come up with for all the wrongs she has done !!
I was shocked to see her accusing Draupadi in the first episode...so eager to see her in the hot seat and I do not want Keshav to come to her defense!!

The second one is Arjuna...I mean following your elders words is great but to such an extent? Did that Dharma supercede everything else...what about his Dharma as a husband? Want to see if that will even get addressed and if so how he is going to justify it.

Yudhi - i don't even care what justifications or explanations he comes up with , as a husband he was the worst!!

And as for Dury,,Dushy and Shakuni ...i hope they don't do some clever legal gymnastics and end up with a acquittal...that would be too much to digest!!

In summary i am mainly interested how everyone justifies themselves to Draupadi,for all the wrong they have done her!!