Younis: The questions that prick!

alwaysaTVFan thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 9 years ago
Hello All

I am a regular viewer of the show, and a mostly silent reader of posts here.

I felt very moved by the Younis/Najma scenes yesterday and thought I'd make a post. Please do let me know what your views are ๐Ÿ˜Š

When Najma said she would also play for her country, the change in Younis' face was stark and visible. Here was a man, who'd just been celebrating players who'd done a fabulous job for their country, and mentioning how he would embrace them if he ever had the chance. And suddenly, the innocent voice in his house says she wants to be able to play for her country too.

As much as the grown-up, individual woman in me detests the restrictions Younis imposes on the women in his family, the character is so deeply rooted in reality that I cannot seem to hate him.

He made quite a few things clear yesterday:

- He LOVED his brother, he loved sports. He also revolted against his father for his brother.

- He loves Najma as he does his 2 girls, and hence he expects her to follow the same rules and principles too

- Najma has a special place in his life because she is the reminder of his dead brother

The reason I thought of making a separate post for this man is, I believe he is more conflicted than he lets on. What I saw in his face yesterday (and that could because of the excellent acting too!) was a puzzle he couldnt solve. It was not about the love he had for Najma. It wasn't even about the restrictions imposed on the females by traditional values.

I believe, it was a conflict between the individual in him versus the family-man in him.

The family-man wants to protect everyone in his home. He is so to speak the head of the family. He is now responsible for his kids' education, future, protection. He also needs to take care of his brother's widow. And for some reason he also seems to be responsible for his wife's sister and her marriage. The family-man in him has been brought up in a society where women are meant to be protected, and are supposed to live a more demure life than the opposite sex. And I do feel for the family-man in him. He's been overburdened by the responsibilities. The only male members in his family are an older father and a very young son. Jamaal is there, but he isn't shown to be a 'serious'/responsible man.

The individual in him is rational and practical too. It's the individual in him that agrees to take Mariam's jewellery, its the individual in him that accepts that he may need a loan from his mother-in-law. Its the individual in him that makes him rebel against his father's wishes and buy a blazer for his brother. It is the individual in him that remained in the shadow of his brother's aura (even after his brother's death). It's the individual in him who enjoys sports himself. Finally, the individual in him who's tormented that he cannot answer his niece's questions.

- He was angry at first because he was misunderstood to be against Najma... he clarified that.
- He was angry because he couldn't slap Najma the way he would have to Touseef... he explained that too.
- He forgives Najma when she comes to apologise... because, come on, who wouldn't melt at a young child's tears!

But his face still remained stern. And hence his statement about the "questions that prick". The way he reacted to Najma's questions (with his silence) and her apology (by actually avoiding the topic of her questions) makes me think that he is also looking for the answers to Najma's questions.

And maybe, just maybe, like Mariam, he also feels guilty of being unfair to Touseef's memory by curbing Najma's passion for sports.

*** sorry that was a long post๐Ÿ˜›...

but yesterday's episode made me hope that in the end it may be Younis who may end up championing Najma's cause (and not really his father as I previously thought)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AreYaar thumbnail
Lovely post๐Ÿ‘

You've made some great points here! I definitely agree that Younis is more conflicted than we all expected previously...a lot has changed thanks to the past few scenes they showed of him...the blazer scene, him talking about the pride one feels in playing for country etc...

So yes, Younis too has his share of burdens and responsibilities that he has to balance with his own individual point of views...He does not in any sense resent Mariam and Najma for adding to his burdens like that...but at the same time, we do see how from time to time how the stress and frustrations of juggling so many responsibilities gets to him too...he is the only breadwinner of such a large family.

But the core conflict in my opinion is a cultural and religious one...the fact that they show Younis repeating many times that their religion does not allow women to be "displaying" themselves in public...be it by uncovering their heads or going much beyond that and actually playing SPORTS on a natural platform...this is against Younis's cultural and religious beliefs for whatever reason...he seems to interpret these things more strictly than his own father...that is why he pushes back more strictly each time Najma in her innocence expresses her passion for Tennis.

I don't think as of now Younis is looking for answers to Najma's questions...those questions are too uncomfortable for him right now...and I think it is more likely that he will only react in anger hereon rather than rationalizing those questions...he has been left confused and stumped by those questions...and for a man already so burdened with other issues in his life, it seems unlikely that deep introspection will happen right now.

Younis in my opinion will be the FINAL roadblock for Najma...the final hurdle to overcome in pursuing her dream...I don't think he will support her easily...they may show that he will be conflicted from time to time and I have a feeling Naseema will do her part in messing with his head anytime he tries to be softer on Najma over this issue.

Also past soap-watching experience assures me that they will mix in Imran in this issue and Younis will resent Najma more for her closeness to Imran and probably irrationally forbid her even more from Tennis cuz it will mean contact with Imran.
BinKuchKahe. thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Beautiful post! And welcome to the forum :)
I completely agree with you. Somewhere Najma's questions hurt Younis not because she was being rude, but because he knew how valid her questions were. He knows deep down that she is not wrong & unlike his wife, he knows that Najma is a pure soul.

But he can't answer those questions. Because he is supposed to be the head of the family. He is supposed to be right always. Acknowledging Najma's point IMO will not only hurt his pride because he was wrong but also the amount of ridicule he will face from the society which believes that women should cover their heads when outside & be made responsible for kitchen work only. Just because of any girl if he can stop Mariyam from speaking to the new neighbour, what makes you think he will let Najma play at such a high level & be the talk of the town.

Despite all this, it is definitely difficult to dislike Younis because he so obviously cares for & loves Mariyam & Najma, like his own family. He has been written beautifully.

And yes, I also feel that he will come around to supporting Najma one day. But not anytime soon. There are a lot more arguments to come.
Edited by prc_fan1 - 9 years ago
CatcherInTheRye thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Hello All

๐Ÿ˜ฒSL..really???๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†js kidding

I felt very moved by the Younis/Najma scenes yesterday and thought I'd make a post. Please do let me know what your views are ๐Ÿ˜Š

When Najma said she would also play for her country, the change in Younis' face was stark and visible. Here was a man, who'd just been celebrating players who'd done a fabulous job for their country, and mentioning how he would embrace them if he ever had the chance. And suddenly, the innocent voice in his house says she wants to be able to play for her country too.

As much as the grown-up, individual woman in me detests the restrictions Younis imposes on the women in his family, the character is so deeply rooted in reality that I cannot seem to hate him.

- He LOVED his brother, he loved sports. He also revolted against his father for his brother.

- He loves Najma as he does his 2 girls, and hence he expects her to follow the same rules and principles too

- Najma has a special place in his life because she is the reminder of his dead brother

The reason I thought of making a separate post for this man is, I believe he is more conflicted than he lets on. What I saw in his face yesterday (and that could because of the excellent acting too!) was a puzzle he couldnt solve. It was not about the love he had for Najma. It wasn't even about the restrictions imposed on the females by traditional values.

I believe, it was a conflict between the individual in him versus the family-man in him.

The family-man wants to protect everyone in his home. He is so to speak the head of the family. He is now responsible for his kids' education, future, protection. He also needs to take care of his brother's widow. And for some reason he also seems to be responsible for his wife's sister and her marriage. The family-man in him has been brought up in a society where women are meant to be protected, and are supposed to live a more demure life than the opposite sex. And I do feel for the family-man in him. He's been overburdened by the responsibilities. The only male members in his family are an older father and a very young son. Jamaal is there, but he isn't shown to be a 'serious'/responsible man.

The individual in him is rational and practical too. It's the individual in him that agrees to take Mariam's jewellery, its the individual in him that accepts that he may need a loan from his mother-in-law. Its the individual in him that makes him rebel against his father's wishes and buy a blazer for his brother. It is the individual in him that remained in the shadow of his brother's aura (even after his brother's death). It's the individual in him who enjoys sports himself. Finally, the individual in him who's tormented that he cannot answer his niece's questions.

- He was angry at first because he was misunderstood to be against Najma... he clarified that.
- He was angry because he couldn't slap Najma the way he would have to Touseef... he explained that too.
- He forgives Najma when she comes to apologise... because, come on, who wouldn't melt at a young child's tears!

But his face still remained stern. And hence his statement about the "questions that prick". The way he reacted to Najma's questions (with his silence) and her apology (by actually avoiding the topic of her questions) makes me think that he is also looking for the answers to Najma's questions.

And maybe, just maybe, like Mariam, he also feels guilty of being unfair to Touseef's memory by curbing Najma's passion for sports.

but yesterday's episode made me hope that in the end it may be Younis who may end up championing Najma's cause (and not really his father as I previously thought)

even i was confused by that silence...n even thoughts were having a rash conflict in my mind...that y that silence...???
if that was for sympathy..that oh yeah y the girls r treated partially in this conservative society
or was that for how dare she stood like that infront of me ??
so yeah after watching last epi..my views are a bit clearer now๐Ÿ˜‰
it was his ego which got hur by Najma's questions and her true but harsh words...he was not able to bear that...though he loves Najma coz she is the last memory of his late Brother...but then too some where his male ego alwayz comes there in between...whether u consider it a man of family or Younis as individual...ego is alwayz there in him...but yeah ...as u never know...he might stood up for Najma one day and give her that support which her actuall abbu cud give๐Ÿ˜›
loved last epi...as abbajaan ne ki Younis ki bolti bnd๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†Nasima begum aur bitching ki jiye abbajaan k saath ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
the most adorable and favourite scene till date for me was from last epi๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ
i hope u can get that๐Ÿ˜›then too wud love to tell...hm apke padosi hain...ye apka mohalla nai hai school hai...and after that that smile...haye...le doobi muje to vo smile๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
wud love to have that smile as a daily dose๐Ÿ˜†
i love that humour which takes place among Younis n waqar...belt chotti nai hui ap zada phel rhe hain๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
this show is becoming a habit for me...kinda a daily dose without which i'll get affectedamazing done by all...though yeah as bubble said in some post that Mariyam's charater is so flat...so i thought that till date she has nothing to do more thn this...giving sharbat and telling najma to not to think abt tennis...she is js a home maker...but by the time Imran will enter her life...m sure her character will start growing up more n more๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
ILOVEIMRANMIYAN๐Ÿ˜†and so yor post buddy๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Edited by BabbaR_SheR - 9 years ago
Swetha-Sai thumbnail
@TM
Beautiful post by u, dear! ๐Ÿ‘
alwaysaTVFan thumbnail

Originally posted by: AreYaar

Lovely post๐Ÿ‘

You've made some great points here! I definitely agree that Younis is more conflicted than we all expected previously...a lot has changed thanks to the past few scenes they showed of him...the blazer scene, him talking about the pride one feels in playing for country etc...

So yes, Younis too has his share of burdens and responsibilities that he has to balance with his own individual point of views...He does not in any sense resent Mariam and Najma for adding to his burdens like that...but at the same time, we do see how from time to time how the stress and frustrations of juggling so many responsibilities gets to him too...he is the only breadwinner of such a large family.

But the core conflict in my opinion is a cultural and religious one...the fact that they show Younis repeating many times that their religion does not allow women to be "displaying" themselves in public...be it by uncovering their heads or going much beyond that and actually playing SPORTS on a natural platform...this is against Younis's cultural and religious beliefs for whatever reason...he seems to interpret these things more strictly than his own father...that is why he pushes back more strictly each time Najma in her innocence expresses her passion for Tennis.

I don't think as of now Younis is looking for answers to Najma's questions...those questions are too uncomfortable for him right now...and I think it is more likely that he will only react in anger hereon rather than rationalizing those questions...he has been left confused and stumped by those questions...and for a man already so burdened with other issues in his life, it seems unlikely that deep introspection will happen right now.

Younis in my opinion will be the FINAL roadblock for Najma...the final hurdle to overcome in pursuing her dream...I don't think he will support her easily...they may show that he will be conflicted from time to time and I have a feeling Naseema will do her part in messing with his head anytime he tries to be softer on Najma over this issue.

Also past soap-watching experience assures me that they will mix in Imran in this issue and Younis will resent Najma more for her closeness to Imran and probably irrationally forbid her even more from Tennis cuz it will mean contact with Imran.

Hey Thanks for commenting ๐Ÿ˜Š

You know, till yesterday's episode I thought that too (that this was more about the cultural belief versus 'modernism'. But somehow the episode made me think that he may actually help her, and he already started the introspection. But having read your reply, that makes sense too, that it may be too early for him to start his reformation!

@bold - Oh yes, even if what I think does happen, we will get Imran in the mix before that! Irrational is right!... dislike for Imran will surely factor into Younis' decision to help Najma.

alwaysaTVFan thumbnail

Originally posted by: prc_fan1

Beautiful post! And welcome to the forum :)
I completely agree with you. Somewhere Najma's questions hurt Younis not because she was being rude, but because he knew how valid her questions were. He knows deep down that she is not wrong & unlike his wife, he knows that Najma is a pure soul.

But he can't answer those questions. Because he is supposed to be the head of the family. He is supposed to be right always. Acknowledging Najma's point IMO will not only hurt his pride because he was wrong but also the amount of ridicule he will face from the society which believes that women should cover their heads when outside & be made responsible for kitchen work only. Just because of any girl if he can stop Mariyam from speaking to the new neighbour, what makes you think he will let Najma play at such a high level & be the talk of the town.

Despite all this, it is definitely difficult to dislike Younis because he so obviously cares for & loves Mariyam & Najma, like his own family. He has been written beautifully.

And yes, I also feel that he will come around to supporting Najma one day. But not anytime soon. There are a lot more arguments to come.

Thank You ๐Ÿ˜Š

I think the actor's expressions and the way he said that the questions still prick him made me form the opinion that he wasn't angry at Najma, but restless because he couldn't answer the questions himself.

and yes, it is difficult to dislike Younis, because he is stern because he cares. He has too much responsibility on his shoulders. so for him, its a case of better safe than sorry.

@bold... I think I am hoping too soon for too much ๐Ÿ˜†

alwaysaTVFan thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Swetha-

@TM

Beautiful post by u, dear! ๐Ÿ‘

Thank You ๐Ÿ˜Š
CatcherInTheRye thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
hv unresed my post at page 1..:)
alwaysaTVFan thumbnail

Originally posted by: BabbaR_SheR

Hello All

๐Ÿ˜ฒSL..really???๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†js kidding

Mostly silent re ๐Ÿ˜†

even i was confused by that silence...n even thoughts were having a rash conflict in my mind...that y that silence...???
if that was for sympathy..that oh yeah y the girls r treated partially in this conservative society
or was that for how dare she stood like that infront of me ??
so yeah after watching last epi..my views are a bit clearer now๐Ÿ˜‰

Yes, the 18th Oct episode clarified it a bit for me too... after his discussion with Salman Baig, I was like... dude, I am still waiting for the answers ๐Ÿ˜†
it was his ego which got hur by Najma's questions and her true but harsh words...he was not able to bear that...though he loves Najma coz she is the last memory of his late Brother...but then too some where his male ego alwayz comes there in between...whether u consider it a man of family or Younis as individual...ego is alwayz there in him...but yeah ...as u never know...he might stood up for Najma one day and give her that support which her actuall abbu cud give๐Ÿ˜›
loved last epi...as abbajaan ne ki Younis ki bolti bnd๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†Nasima begum aur bitching ki jiye abbajaan k saath ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
the most adorable and favourite scene till date for me was from last epi๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜ณ
i hope u can get that๐Ÿ˜›then too wud love to tell...hm apke padosi hain...ye apka mohalla nai hai school hai...and after that that smile...haye...le doobi muje to vo smile๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
wud love to have that smile as a daily dose๐Ÿ˜†

On the days that Imran smiles, I have to re-watch scenes after his smile, because I am too distracted.Focus goes haywire after seeing him smile ๐Ÿ˜ณ And Najma is a firecracker too... she knows how to give it back to him... LOVE her spirit...

i love that humour which takes place among Younis n waqar...belt chotti nai hui ap zada phel rhe hain๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

I ROFLed at that... Imran is fair... bete ko bhi nahin chhodta ๐Ÿ˜†
this show is becoming a habit for me...kinda a daily dose without which i'll get affectedamazing done by all...though yeah as bubble said in some post that Mariyam's charater is so flat...so i thought that till date she has nothing to do more thn this...giving sharbat and telling najma to not to think abt tennis...she is js a home maker...but by the time Imran will enter her life...m sure her character will start growing up more n more๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†
ILOVEIMRANMIYAN๐Ÿ˜†and so yor post buddy๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Thank you so much ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Yes, its becoming a habit for me too... and I am waiting for Mariyam's character to be explored too. But I think they are resolving the Imran-Najma equation first so they can then delve into romance. I can wait... because Imram-Najma scenes are soo good...

Word Count: 1