Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

CatcherInTheRye thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago

Originally posted by: AreYaar

Younis's character was really humanized over the course of the past few epis...and this continued into today's epi...

was actually about to make a post on the same thingy๐Ÿ˜›

What I am liking more and more about this show is the way every character is being justified in their point of view...and where they are coming from...yes even including the vicious gossiper Shabnam.

1) Imran lashing out at Shabnam on realizing that she was the reason for Mariam being so rude with him and then him wallowing in guilt over that afterwards...this pinches him for two reasons...1)As he points out to his Maamu, who would know better than Imran himself what it feels like to live with a tohmat...i.e. an unfair accusation.....xactly he somehow manages to hide his grief and anxiety about that accusation for being a murder of his daughter and his wife left him cox he is sharabbi...huh...ppl dun know anything but hv took license to patch nything upon nybody ,he is being able to bear that by having drink n all but how Mariyam wud face those accusations being a woman in this conservative society..and that too the accusations are made by the lady who never thinks twice without saying anything.and 2) Cuz at his core, Imran is remarkably chivalrous...he feels worse that Mariam has to bear this being a woman...he can still live with the accusations as a man but it's all the worse for a woman in a conservative society like this one.
and one who is a single mother,her husband is no more..if it wud have been some sorta xtra marital affair in Tauseef's life thn it wud b some other matter...but as he is no more how she 'll bear all this in so conservative family?

2) The tiny bit on the terrace when Imran sees a Mariam pensive in thought and can't help but be concerned...but the moment she looks up and sees him, he INSTANTLY looks away to pretend like he wasn't watching her๐Ÿ˜†...i loved that๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†...wanted him to say that silent salaam but no๐Ÿ˜ญdil k armaan ansuon mein beh gaye๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜†

And then sneaks a look again when he sees her leaving...and then starts yelling at mamu๐Ÿ˜†..guess what i got...mamu its all coz of u that she went away today...if this wud have not happened then she wud have better telling me salaam at least๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

Nicely done bit...and ofcourse as soon as she leaves, Imran finds his fav. punching bag Maamu yet again to take out all his anger on and reminds him yet again that this is all HIS fault...lol which honestly speaking it actually is๐Ÿ˜†

3) The two most hard-hitting scenes in this epi belonged to Younis-Najma...the first being the one where Najma asks some very honest yet hard hitting questions to Younis with child-like innocence...why are girls and boys treated differently? Why can't a girl play for her country and her family feel as proud of her as they would if she was the son of the family? Does religion really prohibit girls from participating in sports and businesses? Then why did she hear otherwise from the priestess in the mosque? And Younis had no answers other than to stare at her...

What I loved about this scene was the way Younis told Najma that he wanted to clarify to her that he is not against HER specifically...to him she is evermore special because she is the only remaining symbol of his beloved brother...so to him she is precious beyond her understanding...but his own views about different rules for girls and boys hold true across the board to include his own daughters as well. This was a lovely follow up to the scene from two epis back when Younis gets emotional on seeing Tauseef's old blazer and reminisces about him with Najma...very very touching scene that was.
the thing regarding both the scenes..i dint get is ...that if Younis after hearing all that from Najma kept so mum...what can be the reason behind this??If he to some xtent gave thought to all those bitter truths which Najma told about the conservative society in which a boy and a girl is alwayz seen as different genders and being partialled by all at all level mostly or was it a reason that he went into deep thoughts how dare she stood infront of me and said all that so easily whose father never dared to say even a sigle word to me as Mariyam said to Najma???
means i wonder it which cud be the reason...untill and unless Nnajma dint come back for that apology i was thinking that she has scrumbled him somewhere..his heart went for Najma's reality those bitter truths...he was giving thought that really she was not telling any lie at all..but by the moment she came and ask for apology...i realized that no he was thinking how she can ask him those questions..means she is going against his values...how can he control her brain ...so i dint get yet what was the main reason behind all that silence

And then finally the most emotional moment of the epi for me was the way Najma just hugged Younis from the back...after the apology has been done with and Younis reminds her again why she is so precious to him for Tauseef himself placed her in Younis's lap and decreed her as Younis's daughter...what a beautifully written moment and so wonderfully enacted by the actors! I must say the actor playing Younis is doing a great job๐Ÿ‘...and Ashnoor toh has this special talent since her NBT days only to make her emotional scenes extra touching...you can't help but get teary-eyed...

Ashnoor is a gr8 actor no doubt..and the most awesomely done scenes by her are all these sad one..crying one๐Ÿ˜›

The way the conflicts have been written between these characters...just some EXCELLENT writing these past few epis๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘...and top notch direction...the core issue of a clash of ideologies...old and new...conservative and progressive...so nicely brought out without making it OTT or loud and dramatic for the sake of it.

I love how Najma's questions rattled Younis and he really couldn't stop thinking about them later on also but he really didn't hold it against Najma per se even as he feels justified in his POV...that was the beauty of this scene...the sensitivity with which it was written.
epi was amazing and all the actors done justice to their characters...whether Imran or Shabnm or Najma or Younis...all were fab๐Ÿ˜ƒ

the thing which i loved SABA...as her mum was yelling and ranting like hw dare that gilr...she was the one who said that might be she meant some thing else...and is misunderstood...being the eldest child...she cud even give a thought that how dare she talk like that to mu abbu but no...this bond among all the childern is amazing n they alwayz prove that their relation is above all others๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Love Hasan and Barkha...watching them for the first time on TV...n loving them more n more day by day...superb actors both are๐Ÿ˜ƒ...it seems as Hasan has gone thru same anxiety in his real life too๐Ÿ˜†i know its ridiculous..but i meant that perfectly he acts in that manner as Imran๐Ÿ˜ƒ
as alwayz Nice post btw๐Ÿ˜›

Edited by BabbaR_SheR - 9 years ago
alwaysaTVFan thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Hey... wonderful post again ๐Ÿ‘ I was looking forward to your views on the episode too ๐Ÿ˜Š

Originally posted by: AreYaar

Younis's character was really humanized over the course of the past few epis...and this continued into today's epi...

What I am liking more and more about this show is the way every character is being justified in their point of view...and where they are coming from...yes even including the vicious gossiper Shabnam.

@bold As much as we love to hate this woman, she is a realistic vamp. There are no real villains in this story. Each one of the negative traits are something you could come across in 'normal' people in our day to day lives. That's what makes them relatable!

1) Imran lashing out at Shabnam on realizing that she was the reason for Mariam being so rude with him and then him wallowing in guilt over that afterwards...this pinches him for two reasons...1)As he points out to his Maamu, who would know better than Imran himself what it feels like to live with a tohmat...i.e. an unfair accusation...and 2) Cuz at his core, Imran is remarkably chivalrous...he feels worse that Mariam has to bear this being a woman...he can still live with the accusations as a man but it's all the worse for a woman in a conservative society like this one.

@bold... that is so true. He knows how it is to live under a cloud of blame, and how much more Mariam would suffer because she is a woman. and When he said, the blame has already been laid, it made me emotional too!

2) The tiny bit on the terrace when Imran sees a Mariam pensive in thought and can't help but be concerned...but the moment she looks up and sees him, he INSTANTLY looks away to pretend like he wasn't watching her๐Ÿ˜†

And then sneaks a look again when he sees her leaving

Nicely done bit...and ofcourse as soon as she leaves, Imran finds his fav. punching bag Maamu yet again to take out all his anger on and reminds him yet again that this is all HIS fault...lol which honestly speaking it actually is๐Ÿ˜†

Haaye this scene. When he walks out, he seems like a petulant child (sorry, his face is too cute to make me afraid of his anger. he just looks to me like a kid who is mad because he lost his candy ๐Ÿ˜†)... he is boiling with anger, helplessness and guilt. But the moment he sees her, he knows the poor woman has bigger problems. All because of him. and You are right, it is because of him ๐Ÿ˜† I love both these actors, the don't need to say a lot... their changing expressions tell a story by themselves.

3) The two most hard-hitting scenes in this epi belonged to Younis-Najma...the first being the one where Najma asks some very honest yet hard hitting questions to Younis with child-like innocence...why are girls and boys treated differently? Why can't a girl play for her country and her family feel as proud of her as they would if she was the son of the family? Does religion really prohibit girls from participating in sports and businesses? Then why did she hear otherwise from the priestess in the mosque? And Younis had no answers other than to stare at her...

What I loved about this scene was the way Younis told Najma that he wanted to clarify to her that he is not against HER specifically...to him she is evermore special because she is the only remaining symbol of his beloved brother...so to him she is precious beyond her understanding...but his own views about different rules for girls and boys hold true across the board to include his own daughters as well. This was a lovely follow up to the scene from two epis back when Younis gets emotional on seeing Tauseef's old blazer and reminisces about him with Najma...very very touching scene that was.

And then finally the most emotional moment of the epi for me was the way Najma just hugged Younis from the back...after the apology has been done with and Younis reminds her again why she is so precious to him for Tauseef himself placed her in Younis's lap and decreed her as Younis's daughter...what a beautifully written moment and so wonderfully enacted by the actors! I must say the actor playing Younis is doing a great job๐Ÿ‘...and Ashnoor toh has this special talent since her NBT days only to make her emotional scenes extra touching...you can't help but get teary-eyed...

I will not say much here, but Bang on analysis and agree with every word. I am actually planning to make a separate post on Younis, so I will write some more there.

and double agreement about Ashnoor. I was recommended to watch NBT recently by a friend on another forum, and I caught up with all episodes while binge watching over a couple of weeks. This Girl is superlative. No more words to describe her !!!

The way the conflicts have been written between these characters...just some EXCELLENT writing these past few epis๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘...and top notch direction...the core issue of a clash of ideologies...old and new...conservative and progressive...so nicely brought out without making it OTT or loud and dramatic for the sake of it.

I love how Najma's questions rattled Younis and he really couldn't stop thinking about them later on also but he really didn't hold it against Najma per se even as he feels justified in his POV...that was the beauty of this scene...the sensitivity with which it was written.

SoreThumb thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Nicely written post..
Having finally caught up with the show, I have to say the way they are building up the characters (save Marian whose character I still find a little flat even though ai do understand her actions if seen from her POV) and the interactions is a delight to watch. The pace or the lack of it was an issue for me initially but now I seem to like it just as it is...the pace seems to be in tandem with the setting of the story.

Imran is one of the well written characters..he has an unfortunate past (like almost all leads do) but he isnt your caricaturish AYM..the way he was so restless knowing the truth from Shabnam..he hates the fact that somewhere he is the reason for Mariam's trouble..he wouldnot want to be the cause for anyone's trouble..least of all a widow..the scene on the balcony..it was short but effective

@Younis: I am really liking the way they are shaping his character..esp last few episodes..it makes him real..he isn't being mean to or targeting Najma per set but this what his (regressive) beliefs are when it comes to girls..it will be interesting to if and when they change
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: spidie

The kids and their equation is the USP of this show. ๐Ÿ˜Š Their excitement and enthusiasm for the simplest things in life is so refreshing.

Imraan is a sweet heart. Bas apni baat bol nahi paata and end up shouting or getting angry at others.๐Ÿ˜†

Totally agree on both these points...Imran toh๐Ÿ˜†...I feel bad for him also lekin I start laughing also seeing the levels of irritation/frustration in his anger๐Ÿ˜†...bilkul kheej jaata hai...it's almost like he has a tic on his face the way he's shaking/rolling his head while talking in anger and yes he has trouble expressing himself almost like he's biting back words even as he's lashing out full on๐Ÿ˜†...and then there's nothing left to do but shout at good old Maamu๐Ÿ˜†
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: soapbubble

Lovely reviews on this thread, Anu, Sadhana...

I've been intrigued too by the character development of Younis... the strength of this serial is in the depth of detail it invests in the writing of the support cast.

Younis seemed so close minded, so beastly in the way he tightly held Najma's arm, shook her in anger on the street, wagged an admonitory finger in her face... but now he seems capable of enjoying a cricket match, backslapping his friends in congratulations and thinking deeply about a child's near 'impertinent' questions... nice!

I'm a bit disappointed with Mariam on a temporary basis. I know they're working up to it but hated the way she tried to shush Najma today. And really hated that she frogmarched her to apologise to Younis in that way. Do children not deserve some dignity after all?

But there is no pleasing daily soap watchers - I thought she was a touch too lax with Najma only a couple of weeks ago, and now I think she's being too unfeeling ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

Imran, of course, has completely melted with the explanation for Mariam's behaviour. No anger remains, only concern that she still seems perturbed, and he's conscious both of the impulse to step forward and offer help, and yet, situated as they are, keep out of her way and save her trouble.

You're right - maamu is indeed his punching bag, but frankly Mamu can be very silly. He's been told again and again not to call across the terraces and engage in conversation - surely he can abide by that. The Baigs are more conservative but he should respect that. But he's bored, poor fellow and besides, who else will give him the recipe for adrak wala achaar? His bhanje's favourite pickle, too! I felt Mariam has stored away that nugget for future use... romantic me! ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Superb acting by everyone!
Bubble

Thanks, Bubble :-)

Yes when the show started, I didn't think we would see this side of Younis...not that I ever fully considered him an out and out villain...he had his shades of grey since day one but we rarely ever saw a soft side to him...these past few epis however have shown his POV regarding Tauseef and Najma beautifully...the blazer scene was just lovely...I didn't have time to make a post that day but I really was touched by that scene...

So it's interesting how the writing has now given us more perspective on Younis...he is a man very set in his ways and he pushes back when people question his rules...but otherwise he too has plenty of love in his heart for the children as well as his late brother...One cannot expect overnight change in such a hardcore patriarchal society...it will not be accepted calmly...but Najma has created the needed ripples for eventual change...maybe?

LOL yeah we all have different bits that irritate us...Mariam frustrated me more in the earlier epis...now she's settled in for me more in comparison to those days...the apology wasn't about dignity...children are treated different in our society, it's a fact...this isn't America where even scolding a child is cause for calling 911...In India, kids are raised on a steady diet of thappads and scoldings...yahaan toh phir bhi it's not like anyone is raising a hand on Najma needlessly...making her say sorry was expected...cuz the adults are aghast that she questioned years of established rules in this manner and in the process supposedly "insulted' them...Mariam had no choice but to get Najma to do this to maintain peace...what I appreciated was the fact that Younis didn't crow over the apology or act smug about it...he is still upset with Najma but he doesn't dismiss her apology either...the situation was wrapped up nicely for the moment.

Yes, Imran now has clarity regarding Mariam's behavior...and the concern toh has always been there...it's ingrained in him...even as he chastizes Maamu for getting involved, Imran himself is always concerned too.

LOL Maamu is silly no doubt but I dunno even he has grown on me now...I've become FOND of all these characters so even their mistakes don't irritate me as much๐Ÿ˜†...I LOVE Imran and Maamu's bond...the way Maamu tries to cheer him up even when Imran is totally down in the dumps...it's adorable.

Haha that adrak wala achaar...no doubt it will resurface very soon...I have a feeling that will be soon after Mariam agrees to let Najma pursue her Tennis dream...it might be a peace offering from Mariam to Imran๐Ÿ˜†
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: Allbut1

Fantastic review as always! They're definitely humanizing Younis' character more and more as the episodes go by...this week has been extremely revealing for his character and this episode was just the icing on the cake! He was genuinely shaken by Najma's questions because he didn't have any answers for her! But the way Najma hugged him was extremely heart touching...a really wonderful scene, beautifully enacted by both actors!

And I absolutely LOVED that miniscule balcony scene between Imran and Mariyam! Imran's concern and worry for Mariyam was written all over his face, and it's what prevented him from looking away or walking back immediately as soon as he saw her! Somewhere I feel like he wishes he could help her, clear the misunderstandings between them, and try and convince her to let Najma play tennis...but he knows that he is the last person who should be trying to fix anything where Mariyam is concerned! Already because of Mamu and Shabnam, he name has been connected with her in an unfavorable way, the last thing he wants is to make things worse, and that is why he NEEDS to keep that distance (like he keeps reiterating to mamu)! Anyways, you captured that little scene so nicely with the caps! I totally LOLed at the way he immediately turned his head away when Mariyam looked up to see him (I'm actually using the GIF you made of that moment)!

Thanks! :-)

@bold: Exactly...you've summed it up aptly...that is definitely what Imran is feeling right now...he does want to help but he is aware that he will be misunderstood for sure...if not by Mariam then by her family and it would only get her into more trouble...which is the last thing he wants to do.

haha that moment was too hilarious to resist gif-ing it...Hasan enacted that quite well...Glad you liked the gif! Thanks for using๐Ÿ˜Š...
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sadhana_pr

Thanks a lot dear. I would surely try and be more regular here๐Ÿ˜Š.

Oh good you reminded me of the initial episodes. I had quite forgotten those flashbacks(I used to forward them actually๐Ÿ˜ณ). Yes, true that she has crawled a bit up in her character graph. And from the spoilers, very soon we will see a peak. I think this is the correct time too. They have established her conflict well. We understand her compulsions too. I just hope this is not overdone coz we get the point!

I notice that there is an interesting shade to her character as well-she is struggling with parenthood woes, which again is realistic. She is not sure of how to curb Najma's unwarranted craze for a game out of bounds for her and her family. She tries various means from rebuke to cajoling to distracting to finally (quite cruelly) erasing the painstakingly collected tennis memorabilia. Not the best way, but then there is no 'best way' of dealing with kids, is there? It is trial and error all the way.๐Ÿ˜†

LOL I think we all forwarded those endless Tauseef FBs...I would like to believe that we all cribbed so much that finally they decreased those Tauseef FBs...really it was getting too much.

Another lovely point you've made about how there is no best way of dealing with kids really...and Najma is a precocious handful...it's tough for Mariam to navigate b/w consoling Najma as well as pacifying the family...so she's had to make some hard decisions...as she was thinking to herself also last night...She wishes that God takes this Tennis craze out of Najma's head...or else the few moments of happiness that mother-daughter manage to create for themselves will also be gone cuz of the constant issues this will give rise to in the family...

Ofcourse Mariam will have to eventually take a stand for Najma's sake...and that is where hopefully we will see her character evolve more too.
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Swetha-

^ Excellent analysis of the episode by u, Anu! ๐Ÿ‘

Loved it! ๐Ÿ˜ณ

Thanks, Swetha!
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: BabbaR_SheR

the thing regarding both the scenes..i dint get is ...that if Younis after hearing all that from Najma kept so mum...what can be the reason behind this??If he to some xtent gave thought to all those bitter truths which Najma told about the conservative society in which a boy and a girl is alwayz seen as different genders and being partialled by all at all level mostly or was it a reason that he went into deep thoughts how dare she stood infront of me and said all that so easily whose father never dared to say even a sigle word to me as Mariyam said to Najma???
means i wonder it which cud be the reason...untill and unless Nnajma dint come back for that apology i was thinking that she has scrumbled him somewhere..his heart went for Najma's reality those bitter truths...he was giving thought that really she was not telling any lie at all..but by the moment she came and ask for apology...i realized that no he was thinking how she can ask him those questions..means she is going against his values...how can he control her brain ...so i dint get yet what was the main reason behind all that silence It's not as simple as that...Younis's thoughts on this gender differentiation are very deep rooted...he is also convinced that his religion justifies these thoughts as well...and it's never easy for adults to listen to harsh truths from children...they don't take children seriously enough...especially not in conservative Indian society...so while Najma's questions definitely unsettled Younis cuz he had no answers to them...at the same time he doesn't agree with her questions either so he and the others felt the apology was justified...

The silence is precisely because no one has easy answers for Najma's questions...all they can do right now is accept her apology and avoid the issue...he doesn't want to control Najma's brain...this is a question of his own values which naturally he expects to inculcate in all the children of the house since that is the norm in their society...Change is gradual...it will take a while for Younis to understand what Najma was trying to say...

the thing which i loved SABA...as her mum was yelling and ranting like hw dare that gilr...she was the one who said that might be she meant some thing else...and is misunderstood...being the eldest child...she cud even give a thought that how dare she talk like that to mu abbu but no...this bond among all the childern is amazing n they alwayz prove that their relation is above all others๐Ÿ˜ƒ Yes I loved that Saba stood up for Najma despite being scared of her parents...the bond b/w the children is just too beautiful.

Love Hasan and Barkha...watching them for the first time on TV...n loving them more n more day by day...superb actors both are๐Ÿ˜ƒ...it seems as Hasan has gone thru same anxiety in his real life too๐Ÿ˜†i know its ridiculous..but i meant that perfectly he acts in that manner as Imran๐Ÿ˜ƒ LOL haha interesting point about Hasan...maybe he has indeed...cuz yeah he does seem to portray Imran's bitterness and anxiety quite well๐Ÿ˜†
as alwayz Nice post btw๐Ÿ˜›

Edited by AreYaar - 9 years ago
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: always_a_TV_fan

Hey... wonderful post again ๐Ÿ‘ I was looking forward to your views on the episode too ๐Ÿ˜Š Thank you!๐Ÿ˜Š

Word Count: 0