Some Gender Biased Perceptions?

silvermoonlight thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 10 years ago
When Shobha found out about the affair, her close friend essentially gave her a dose of reality and shared some harsh words ...a tough love approach I would call it.

When the IF Members saw this, there was mixed reaction...many said that her friend was being too harsh, should have "given her a hug", be gentle with her ..essentially the traits of a female/woman. I guess this was because Shobha's friend really spoke like how a man a would..

When Vikram broke Garima's engagement and also gave Shobha a dose of reality, IF members ohhed and ahhed...how brilliant he was...how it was needed...how it made it into a great epi...very little criticism...I suppose cause Vikram spoke like a man and its expected and okay coming from a male?

So why the difference in attitudes to essentially the same message both Shobha's friend and Vikram gave to Shobha?

I found the comments a bit..shall I say..gender biased...

My opinion anyways

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Huma.Malik thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
i have no idea about others but for me i was happy at that time too when her friend gives shobha a reality check and now too when vikram was telling her too.. because i too think that shobha needs to open her eyes
NandiniRaizadaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Ohh and ahhh is for Apoorva i guess every one here said Vikram is nasty but his words are still True if Sanjay and Garima had mature relationship it wouldn't have broken down because someone said something/ Even for Usha I had said the same thing that she was right but may be she was a bit too harsh and same opinion I have of Vik
Edited by -Gitanjali- - 10 years ago
mudraswathi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail
I beg to differ.
When that friend spoke harsh, Shobha was in the denial state and a shock.. in her friend's words.. So, whatever that friend said, would spark angry interactions between Sho and friend.. where as, Vikram's gyaan of life was a bit expected for Shobha and IF members (I mean viewers) ..there was stage setting up slowly in the background... So, fitted well... thats all..

No gender related issue i see here.

By the way, very keen analysis and perfect parallels you drewπŸ˜ŠπŸ‘
poo_s thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
I liked it when Usha told sobha the truth about her husband becoz sobha was in a denial stage as correctly told by usha & I loved it when vik said the same thing.. it maybe sound harsh but does it not it right that marriage is not just about two hormones coming together and having fun?

For me both usha & vik r right in their respective places.
kiranpri thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
May be construed as gender biased if people expect women to be gentle and comforting whilst men to be frank and harsh. I for one agreed with her friend's advice though it may have seemed harsh and could have been a bit too early as shobha had just discovered her husband's affair. Maybe the time was not appropriate but the lesson was needed.
Edited by kiranpreethee - 10 years ago
Ecrivain thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: -Gitanjali-

Ohh and ahhh is for Apoorva i guess every one here said Vikram is nasty but his words are still True if Sanjay and Garima had mature relationship it wouldn't have broken down because someone said something/ Even for Usha I had said the same thing that she was right but may be she was a bit too harsh and same opinion I have of Vik

Gitanjali I think u echoed my thoughts ...
I loved Usha who gave shobha a "dose of reality " n I loved vikram showing her the mirror ...some questions we all Ignore but are true ..for instance , he questioned the belief of marrying off two young people ...so I guess I will keep it to the fact tht Samarth was sugar coated n a cheat , while vikram is upfront but trustworthy ..n yes I did say in a few posts tht he IS RUDE ...no doubt but the man's intentions are true ...

There is a saying too in Hindi " Nindak Niyare Rakhiya , Angan Kuti Chhvaye , Bin paani Sabun bina, Nirmal KARE , Subhaaye " ...

Cheers
582445 thumbnail
I missed the scene where Shobha has a convo with her friend n didn't visit the forum after that .. However, I believe the Truth is ultimate and no matter if it seems harsh/rude one must speak and accept it Irrespective of the Gender ..

About the forum reaction .. I have seen worse forums with such gender biased ness .. this is not unexpected .. but this forum is still a nice place
jyoti06 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 8
I can speak for myself and members who had replied in my regular posts

In Usha's case I had praised her for being practical and in some other post I said she should hv consoled her friend along with being practical

Yesterday again in my post if u read it , I praised Vikram for bring brutally honest but at the same time I wrote that he is prejudiced about his views on marriage and woman which need to b changed .. just because two people r not ready for marriage does not mean they should never marry ..

So I hv tried to see both sides of coin here πŸ˜ƒ

I guess most members hv said the same too ...

Its individual perspective I guess 😳
Fahadkrazywish thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I'm new here I've no idea about comments and all..
But for me both are ryt on their own places..
Her friend was actually want to shw her reality..
And Vikram reacted on that thing which he knew...