...A tale of loss and love...

Sadhana_pr thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Hello everyone😊.
My first post on this forum, though I had been wanting to pen down my thoughts about the show for quite some time.Finally found time!

This is by far the most promising show amongst the crop of the newly launched shows.
The writing is crisp and all characters are fleshed out really well. So well that you can almost predict how each would react in a given situation. But the best part is the human drama is laced with realism. Nasima is not your daily soap vamp-she is as real as any insensitive, opportunist and authoritative women would be. Younis too has his rigid and rude outbursts but at least he has the magnanimity to ask Maryam to buy a dress for Najma or Sabah to behave well with her younger sister. It is these small touches which contribute to the various layers of characters. Also the tragedy here is sublime. A widow and an orphan coping with a massive loss are stuck in a not so favourable environment. There is no overt torture here-no physical torment-no inhuman verbal attack. Just a very subtle display of being unwanted and deprived. And Tauseef's absence is affirmed every time he shows up in a well integrated flashback. His family has moved on but still throbbing with pain of his loss.

And loss extends across the window as well. I must applaud the makers as Imran is an outstanding piece of writing. Also,Hasan breathes life into a character which could have become a caricature of 'angry-young man' heroes with a customary dark past filling up the screen in every other show nowadays. What makes him different is his genuine nonchalance. He does not impose himself upon people, does not confront them, does not even try to clear airs about himself-he REALLY wants to be left alone. The disinterest in his eyes for everything the world has to offer is well evident. But the masterstroke of writing is Imran is no self proclaimed saviour of his poor neighbours. He knows his limits and does not try to engage with the lives of Najma or Mariyam, unless circumstances force him. He helps Maryan on two occasions but does not treat her as an object of sympathy. He feels a pinch of worry for Najma after he witnesses Younis publicly scolding her but immediately shrugs off the care. He understands that there is some issue when Najma does not bring the tennis form the next day but shows no interest in delving deeper. It took time (a lot of it)and her tears to finally move him from his indifference. Things such as these are a proof of nuanced writing. A broken man does not just randomly jump into a saving act. Also the way he looks and does not look at Maryam. There is genuine respect and a sense of hesitation in those expressive eyes.

Najma is another star performer-both character and actor. I cannot wait to see her developing a rapport with Imran. Their chemistry looks very promising. At present, I would not type cast Imran-Maryam equation into a love story. But with Najma he can surely regain a lot of what he has lost. At least the hardened heart and dried up soul can find some redemption here.

Looking forward to the future episodes😊

Edited by Sadhana_pr - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

nicki11 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
100% agree love the show and so far it seems real this kind of things do happen.hope show stay this way.
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sadhana_pr

Hello everyone😊.
My first post on this forum, though I had been wanting to pen down my thoughts about the show for quite some time.Finally found time!

This is by far the most promising show amongst the crop of the newly launched shows.
The writing is crisp and all characters are fleshed out really well. So well that you can almost predict how each would react in a given situation. But the best part is the human drama is laced with realism. Nasima is not your daily soap vamp-she is as real as any insensitive, opportunist and authoritative women would be. Younis too has his rigid and rude outbursts but at least he has the magnanimity to ask Maryam to buy a dress for Najma or Sabah to behave well with her younger sister. It is these small touches which contribute to the various layers of characters. Also the tragedy here is sublime. A widow and an orphan coping with a massive loss are stuck in a not so favourable environment. There is no overt torture here-no physical torment-no inhuman verbal attack. Just a very subtle display of being unwanted and deprived. And Tauseef's absence is affirmed every time he shows up in a well integrated flashback. His family has moved on but still throbbing with pain of his loss.

And loss extends across the window as well. I must applaud the makers as Imran is an outstanding piece of writing. Also,Hasan breathes life into a character which could have become a caricature of 'angry-young man' heroes with a customary dark past filling up the screen in every other show nowadays. What makes him different is his genuine nonchalance. He does not impose himself upon people, does not confront them, does not even try to clear airs about himself-he REALLY wants to be left alone. The disinterest in his eyes for everything the world has to offer is well evident. But the masterstroke of writing is Imran is no self proclaimed saviour of his poor neighbours. He knows his limits and does not try to engage with the lives of Najma or Mariyam, unless circumstances force him. He helps Maryan on two occasions but does not treat her as an object of sympathy. He feels a pinch of worry for Najma after he witnesses Younis publicly scolding her but immediately shrugs off the care. He understands that there is some issue when Najma does not bring the tennis form the next day but shows no interest in delving deeper. It took time (a lot of it)and her tears to finally move him from his indifference. Things such as these are a proof of nuanced writing. A broken man does not just randomly jump into a saving act. Also the way he looks and does not look at Maryam. There is genuine respect and a sense of hesitation in those expressive eyes.

Najma is another star performer-both character and actor. I cannot wait to see her developing a rapport with Imran. Their chemistry looks very promising. At present, I would not type cast Imran-Maryam equation into a love story. But with Najma he can surely regain a lot of what he has lost. At least the hardened heart and dried up soul can find some redemption here.

Looking forward to the future episodes😊

Fantastic post👏👏 Really loved reading how you described the show and Imran's character in particular. I feel the show was still finding it's feet in the initial weeks and the Tauseef flashbacks were being overdone but the writers seem to have taken some feedback into consideration and the show has finally settled in well now.

The bits in blue...you've described Imran perfectly...it is genuine nonchalance indeed...not the cliched "angry young man" of Indian soaps...after seeing cookie-cutter characters one after the other, there is something about Imran that strikes a chord...the loss he is coping with...his bitterness, his struggles, his genuine sense of detachment yet inability to totally forego compassion...these things have been written so subtly and nicely enacted...especially some recent scenes of Imran's with Mariam and Najma have been so perfectly done.

There is a sense of TEHZEEB and CULTURE to this show that is generally missing in Indian shows these days...even Muslim dramas are made very crassly currently on other channels but this show actually portrays this micro-cosm of a mohalla in Lucknow very genuinely with an old school charm reminiscent of DD shows.

I love that for once they address the way equations b/w neighbors can evolve in a mohalla rather than caricaturizing it as nosy people on one end and aloof on the other...the way Maamu ends up speaking with Mariam or Najma over the terrace and invariably Najma or Mariam bump into Imran in the streets or see him across the window is so naturally done rather than making it contrived...love the point you made about Imran looking yet not looking at Mariam...a genuine sense of respect for a woman...I dearly hope they don't attach contrived romantic implications to Imran-Mariam instantly and let the subtlety develop over time into whatever it's meant to be.

Right now Mariam looks very spooked by the obvious ways in which Imran seems to be taking Tauseef's place...first Tauseef's job, then his house and now people insinuating that Imran has a romantic interest in her...I hope this doesn't go the typical Hindi soap way of Mariam going OTT on the topic and it's handled nicely.
soapbubble thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7
Lovely insightful post! 👍🏼
Really, TSHJA is indeed the best of the Sony Pal crop. Well etched characters, impeccable ambience, great dialogue and an old fashioned style of story-telling about an old-fashioned world.
I love that nothing really happens every episode but we inch forward bit by bit.
Bubble

CatcherInTheRye thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
Amazing post indeed...agree with whole stuff...Even i dun wanna see Imran n Mariyam getting all that bond this soon.
Yes this is really close to the soceity and human behaviour,as Nasima behaves and manages to change her way according to situation,as Younis still says that he and Tauseef never had a fight,he knows that Mariyam n Najma are his responsibility and he is fulfilling that somehow.
Imran being a gentleman although called Sharabi by ppl usually,he respects Mariyam and never wanna spoil her reputation but last gesture was not that apt,though he was pushed by Mamu or by Najma,or he wanted to do a favour to that little girl,but as he got that Mariyam dint wanna listen him he shud not force his sayings like that,he shud leave her way but he dint so he had to listen all those harsh words which made me sad😔..but i love the way instantly he derives his xpressions and while talking to Mariyam he behaves as he respects her and never wanna be person by whom her reputation gets spoiled..Hasan he amazing
and whole drama is well placed and so yr post😎
Swetha-Sai thumbnail
^ Excellent post by u dear! 👏
Mehek25 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Wow what a wonderful post dear... loved your insight into the characters...beautifully written...enjoyed every word of it...and yes this really looks like turning into a sweet love story...something similar to NBTNMKK...not exactly like it but on similar lines...

As you wrote everh character is well-etched and each actor is doing full justice to his/her role...this show is surely going to gain a lot more fans and greater popularity if it progresses in the same way in the future...

Thanx for the wonderfully enlightening post and looking forward to reading many more such beautiful posts from u in the future also...