Firaaq-Episode 4 Review

Winterbear thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago

link: http://desirantsnraves.com/2014/09/27/firaaq-episode-4-review/

Do people have to be related by blood in order to inherit the hey-look-I'm-a-nutso-ands-I-am-the-happiest-when-I-mess-with-other-people's-lives DNA?

No! After today I'm convinced these mutated genes are just as easily passed on via rishtedaari. Don't believe me? Okay fine, don't take my word for it, just watch the latest episode of Firaaq. If you thoughtMaa ji was a gone case then check out her bahu, Sara's equally bad, if not worse, harkats. Roomi ko ek baat, Payman ko doosri baat and Shams ko teesri baat... uff! Wonder how she keeps all these convoluted stories straight in her head!

While Sara's machinations remain a conundrum- yes, I get that she doesn't trust Imroz and therefore wants to keep him away from Shams, but to go to such extents is mind boggling - I do now understand why Shams married her. Ji bilkul! Aap sahi samajhey - 'cause she reminds him of his crazy mother!

Compared to Sara, Maa ji's dictatorial tendencies seem almost, just almost, understandable. Underlying all her craziness there was genuine, though totally out of control, desire to protect her daughter. I am in no way condoning Maaji's behavior, but merely saying that her autocratic tendencies pale in front of Sara's shrewd games. With Maa ji it was all upfront. Payman knew what kind of a personality she was dealing with, magar hamari bhabhi tau mithi churi nahin balke poori ke poori saccharine coated tegh hain!

Ek taraf Shams is thrilled with the concern and interest his wife is displaying for his sister, doosri taraf Roomi is confused as heck by Sara's statement that Payman like him and Shams approves of her choice, tau teesri taraf there is the self-assured psychiatrist who seems to have fallen for Payman hook line and sinker and claims that Payman's is equally interested in him. Ab itni saari gol gol baaton ne tau becharey bak bak Roomi ki bolti hi band kar di hai. Bechara! Much as he talks about colors breathing life into paintings, he is now learning that randomly added colors, without giving composition much thought, leave behind a mother of all messes. Yes, the canvas of life is barren and needs color to come alive, magar saleeqey, tareeqay se lagaey huey rung.

And the lady at the center of all this fuss, Payman, remained blissfully unaware of the maelstrom brewing around her till the very last minute - brilliant hook by the way - so absorbed was she in trying to understand this beautiful turn in her life. Imroz's entrance has introduced a whole rainbow of colors in her so far bejaan berung zindagi. Love the way we are seeing her gradually blossom. The tight choti, dull clothes, expressionless face, dead eyes, all are gradually giving way to a younger, fresher and most importantly happier looking Payman - aur tau aur she even smiles now and then! Sanam Saeed, abwhat to say about her... she's just too good as Payman here! Loved all her scenes today. The final scene, in particular, where she realizes that she and her brother had been talking at cross purposes was simply fabulous. Her face said it all - what a way to end the episode!

Imroz, the man largely responsible for Payman's blossoming, claims to have fallen head over heels for her. While I have a feeling there is a lot he's not telling her, and perhaps not really as madly in love as he proclaims to be, I do think that Imroz is hitting all the notes just right. Handling Payman with kid gloves, wooing her gently, allowing her time to trust him, and yes, looking hot as heck while he's doing all this ... Poor girl, she never stood a chance, did she?! I knew he was a good actor even before Firaaq, but here the whole package, acting, looks, styling, works just right- forget about Payman, us ko tau phisalna hi tha, magar I wouldn't be surprised to hear Mohib's earned himself quite a few new ACs and fans after this episode.

Apart from the Payman-Imroz scenes, the one other scene stood out was the chance meeting between Tabasssum and Shams. I say this every week, but wow, wow, wow!!!! Uzma Gilani is simply amazing! Respect! Mazhar Ali didn't say more than a line so, but even in that he made his presence felt. Junaid Khan has taken giant strides as an actor in this serial and proved to be a apt foil to Uzma's brilliance in that particular scene.

While Junaid Khan has shown growth, sadly Cybil has really disappointed. She is good in places where she doesn't have much to say, but is in no way suited for a complicated role like Sara. I agree with MD's instinct to go with a new face, but they should've looked harder for something with a bit more acting experience.

My issues this week are the still loud background music, particularly in the car scenes, and the use of flashbacks today. Sanam is such a good actor and uses her expressions so well that there was no need to replay a scene that had just happened a few minutes ago. Similarly, Roomi thinking back to his earlier conversations also seemed redundant. Apart from these, the episode played out like a charm - yes I am hooked! Mustafa Afridi and Aabis Raza have done well in maintaining suspense and keeping the audiences intrigued, FB spoilers notwithstanding. Here's to hoping the rest of the serial unfolds just as smoothly.

Now looking forward to your thoughts. How do you think Payman's return to Maa ji's house is gonna play out? Is Imroz as on the up and up and as besotted as he claims to be? What is Sara's real game here? What is it about his past that Shams refuses to forgive Maa ji? Did he really "save Payman for her sake, or because he sees her as another pawn in his game of one upmanship with Maa ji? Where does Roomi fit in to the picture (pun intended) here? Come on guys, let the mumkinaats roll!

Written by SZ~

Credit: Desirantsnraves.com

Edited by ..ManoBilli.. - 9 years ago