how long must we suffer weak heroines in soaps?

tejaswiniwenham thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
in this new wave of interesting serials and especially interesting heroines, watching the typical rhona shona bahu is really quite nerve grating. maryam's weak characterization and lack of voice is really very tiresome. nowadays we have so many wonderful new age women in soaps that she seems just incredibly pathetic and regressive. the concept of the show is superb but it defo needs stronger characters. first of all, idk why she's dependent on her bro-in-law. she's EDUCATED and she's clearly a good seamstress (tausif on racket) then she shud make some contribution towards shud her daughters upbringing in someway! the show villanizes yousef (and really him and his wife are petty and awful) but this is how most ppl in the middle classes who struggle to make their ends meet approach life and such situations. i wish they portrayed the mother as someone of a bit more substance than a love struck teenager.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: tejaswiniwenham

in this new wave of interesting serials and especially interesting heroines, watching the typical rhona shona bahu is really quite nerve grating. maryam's weak characterization and lack of voice is really very tiresome. nowadays we have so many wonderful new age women in soaps that she seems just incredibly pathetic and regressive. the concept of the show is superb but it defo needs stronger characters. first of all, idk why she's dependent on her bro-in-law. she's EDUCATED and she's clearly a good seamstress (tausif on racket) then she shud make some contribution towards shud her daughters upbringing in someway! the show villanizes yousef (and really him and his wife are petty and awful) but this is how most ppl in the middle classes who struggle to make their ends meet approach life and such situations. i wish they portrayed the mother as someone of a bit more substance than a love struck teenager.

WORD...they really need to strengthen her characterization...all this mooning over Tauseef only ends up making her look silly rather than a mature grown woman.

As for the rest...well they are showing the background and culture she belongs to...a very conservative one...she's educated but still seemed to be content being a wife/DIL/mother...so hasn't stepped out of the house much...and maybe being a widow has brought on restrictions for her...they might show her growing stronger in order to support her daughter's dreams...let's hope...the show does have a lot of promise but they do need to strengthen and develop the characterization a bit better.
soapbubble thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7
I think you're being very unfair.
Silence isn't always weakness - and you have to appreciate the point at which we are catching up with Mariam's story. Her beloved husband has been two years dead - she is still raw with grief but life has other possibilities as well.

"Love struck teenager!" What a put-down for someone who's lost their bearings in life. I can only echo Salman Baig here - only someone who has lost a loved one can understand how much it can throw you off course.

Her dignity is threatened by subtle humiliation meted out by Younis and his wife - which is best saved by keeping rather quiet whenever possible. Yes, she has skills but there are constraints as well - she has to tread carefully. That is precisely what makes a soap interesting - the soft-footed negotiations of life. Frankly rampaging firebrands would bore me within a fortnight.

tejaswiniwenham thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: soapbubble

I think you're being very unfair. maybe you have a point and we should wait a few more episodes to declare judgment but watching the same kind of repetitive tear works and scenes is a bit frustrating for me as a viewer. It feels like studying. lol.

Silence isn't always weakness - and you have to appreciate the point at which we are catching up with Mariam's story. Her beloved husband has been two years dead - she is still raw with grief but life has other possibilities as well.

"Love struck teenager!" What a put-down for someone who's lost their bearings in life. I can only echo Salman Baig here - only someone who has lost a loved one can understand how much it can throw you off course.
Please lets not get personal with presumptions of who has and has not lost someone in life. I don't think we know each other well enough to simply make such a judgement call. Everyone deals with their losses differently I understand but in my opinion, 2 years is a significant amount of time and instead of constantly thinking about her loss, the focus should be on recovery, not from her grief (that never goes away), but rather recovering the practical aspects that have been lost...like financial security for her daughter and respect for herself.

Her dignity is threatened by subtle humiliation meted out by Younis and his wife - which is best saved by keeping rather quiet whenever possible. See, heres where our POVs differ. I don't think of the humiliation mariam and especially najma face to be very subtle at all! younis point blank said that they are a burden who have no idea how hard he works to earn money and has to bare their responsibility when he should've been saving for his daughter saba's wedding (when najma asked her dadu for RP60).
Yes, she has skills but there are constraints as well - she has to tread carefully. That is precisely what makes a soap interesting - the soft-footed negotiations of life. Frankly rampaging firebrands would bore me within a fortnight.
Agreed and acknowledged! But they are literally humiliating her and her young child everyday! Im not at all asking for rampaging firebrands giving long bhashaans on how terrible everyone is to her. taking a stance through actions is a lot more powerful than her bickering with them everyday! she seems good at handwork that can be done from home. she could help her BIL make embroidery samples that seem to be so expensive, or even do something of her own from home. her FIL is supportive and Im sure he'd not object to that. and if he supports her then Younis wouldn't be able to really object. and even if he did, if she silently stuck to her work, that'd be a lot more admirable in my opinion. you don't need to be a harpy to take a stance. But then again we don't know everything thats happened over the last two years yet!

I am very glad to see a contradicting opinion as that is the best part of discussing topics in a forum! But please lets not presume things about each other and get personal! Thank you! 😊
Edited by tejaswiniwenham - 10 years ago
nicki11 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
so far don't think she is weak and for her character she has to be quite because she has no choice but still do every thing for her daughter.
But agree I hate the shows where they show women weak and stupid like they have no brain specially when they are educated independent and then suddenly they get married and boom they turn in to dummies who just keep on getting bullied.
soapbubble thumbnail

Originally posted by: tejaswiniwenham

I am very glad to see a contradicting opinion as that is the best part of discussing topics in a forum! But please lets not presume things about each other and get personal! Thank you! 😊

Sorry for this late response. About the personal loss remark, fair enough.

But to Mariam, like I said, she is on the verge of new things - that is the point at which we have caught up with her, she's still grieving, still recovering from the shock of losing him but alive enough to be interested, intrigued by the new man next door.

I found Tauseef irritating when he just came sidling up and smiling at her at odd moments. But these flashbacks I do like. It gives us a nice rounded picture of what he was like, how lively the house must've been, why everyone from Najma to Salman Baig and even Younis miss him so much.

Mariam is subdued, she's backfooted because she's a widow in uncomfortable circumstances that surely is the starting point of the story?
Bubble
soapbubble thumbnail

There, what you said has come to pass. 😊

MasoomaBukhari thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 9 years ago
she cant go out and work for herself bcz she's a baig family member who do not allow their women to go out for work..!

and its jst 2 yrs since her husband's death.. so its pretty much obvious she'd behave the way she does.. n will follow orders of what her in laws say..

love Barkha ❤️
Mehek25 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 9 years ago
I think I am understanding what you are trying to express...but we must not forget that mariyam is from a muslim family which is orthodox to the core...head should be covered...girls can't take part in sports...etc etc...

Moreover she is a widow and dependant on her elder B-I-L...there are many families where widows are not treated with dignity...maybe if her own family had looked after her and najma ings would have been different...but I have a feeling her strength of character will come out for her daughter...waitng to see that...