Some feedback about the show

AreYaar thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
This is strictly my opinion but I feel some things need to be pointed out to the writers.

1) The Tauseef flashbacks are just WAY TOO REPETITIVE...you are diluting the whole effect of his character by using him every 5 minutes in the show...we get it...Mariam loved him madly and misses him so sees him around her all the time as a guiding light/companion...but showing him every 2 seconds just makes me get sick of him rather than empathize with the situation.

2) This way too OBVIOUS way in which Imran is being shown to LITERALLY take Tauseef's place...I wish it was more subtle...these scenes were Imran is literally transplanted into Tauseef's shoes and made to mouth the same lines as him...kinda disconcerting...I wish Imran-Mariam could have their own equation develop rather than this repetition of Tauseef scenes on them.

3) Sometimes Imran just seems indifferent to the point of BLANK...I don't know if that is the actor or the direction but that is something that can be worked on...some more nuance would be welcome.

4) Jamal is a fun character but these long drawn out sequences b/w him, his mother and his wife could use some trimming editing wise.

Overall the story and the characters need some spark to them...and by spark I'm not talking of cliches or glamour...spark from the interactions...simplicity need not be dull...it can be made quite engaging...NBT is a great example from which this show is so obviously inspired...except the fact that the female lead in that show had spark in her to begin with...she was no bechaari...and Mariam in this case doesn't seem to have more personality other than going gooey-eyed over Tauseef flashbacks.

And this is not to say that there aren't good subtle touches...for example, Mariam sitting at night trying to nail Najma's racket together...but I wish these scenes were shown more poignantly...somehow the show ends up falling just short of the mark for me...it can be better.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Swetha-Sai thumbnail
^ WORD to your post, Anu!
Its surprising to see Sphere Origin PH who gave excellent shows like Jyoti, Gulaal are giving such repetitive scenes b/w main characters and too much FB's! 😲
Also, leads Hasan and Barkha need pull up their socks and learn to emote well .. in future scenes!
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Swetha-

^ WORD to your post, Anu!

Its surprising to see Sphere Origin PH who gave excellent shows like Jyoti, Gulaal are giving such repetitive scenes b/w main characters and too much FB's! 😲
Also, leads Hasan and Barkha need pull up their socks and learn to emote well .. in future scenes!

No I won't say it's surprising...not all their shows are Gulaal...that random Love v/s Arranged marriage show on Sony was also a khichdi😆

But you know one positive? I do like the clashes b/w Najma and Imran so far😆...cuz of how she riles up Imran with her sarcastic taunts😆 and he just sits there bristling and fuming about it...so childish the two of them😆...Mariam-Imran ke interactions toh boring nikalte hain lekin Najma and Imran atleast have some spark...Ashnoor is awesome as always.

I liked Dada Jaan's scene today as well :-) He really is the most consistently likeable character in this show.
BinKuchKahe. thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Hi! I remember you from Jee Le Zara & Gulaal forum. I only commented a few times but enjoyed reading your thoughts. Hope you continue the same for this show.
Regarding your points, I agree.

1. I am ok with the flashbacks. At certain important events like Najma winning the trophy, it was a nice touch for her to imagine Tauseef right there sharing that moment, but I agree that she needs to stop imagining him there every second. And the whole idea of him just smiling in every freaking flashback makes it seem like it was just a dream. Rather I would have liked to see some flashbacks of any differences they shared (if there are more flashbacks they are going to show). It just adds a real touch to their story & also would give insight into where Mariyam's issues/imperfections lie besides the fact that she is a widow currently.

2. I also would have liked Imran to have a different equation with her. But then I think the way the show is going with him repeating similar dialogues like Tauseef is interesting. Its a little different. Because if not for that, I cannot imagine Mariyam even looking towards him. She is quite trapped in her own world & she's also meek to a certain extent. So I believe the similarities are needed to drag her out of the four walls of the house. And also the dialogues may be similar, but as of now, its quite obvious that Imran-Tauseef are very different. In fact I also feel that what connects with Mariyam is how Imran seems to voice a little bit of how she feels more than the similarities with Tauseef per se. Also as per the promos, the focus of this show seems to be how these 2 people make Najma's dreams come true not so much on how they fall in love.

3. Regarding Imran, I think he is indifferent because of the demons in his past that continue to haunt him. I don't think its really the actor's flaw. But then let's see what the writers have in store for him. There is very little we know about his character so far so that might make him seem ambiguous.

4. Yes, Jamal & his wife/mother-in-law scenes are not needed in every episode. It doesn't add much to the story, except for when Jamal comes to Mariyam's house & supports Najma by giving her sweets etc.
I hope he remains in support of mother/daughter.

I didn't watch NBT.. only the first few episodes (my mum used to watch though so i know the story)..but I feel like this show is quite different except for the obvious similarities (widow with a daughter, a neighbour, oppressive family etc)

I am enjoying the show so far.

Edited by prc_fan1 - 10 years ago
staceyandhitesh thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I just think they need a character development and give mariyam more courage and be able to speak up about her thoughts! after seeing the first episode i thought she would speak up when its needed but not really! she needs to speak up because shes not no bachari there making her look like one when shes not!!
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: prc_fan1

Hi! I remember you from Jee Le Zara & Gulaal forum. I only commented a few times but enjoyed reading your thoughts. Hope you continue the same for this show.

Regarding your points, I agree.

1. I am ok with the flashbacks. At certain important events like Najma winning the trophy, it was a nice touch for her to imagine Tauseef right there sharing that moment, but I agree that she needs to stop imagining him there every second. And the whole idea of him just smiling in every freaking flashback makes it seem like it was just a dream. Rather I would have liked to see some flashbacks of any differences they shared (if there are more flashbacks they are going to show). It just adds a real touch to their story & also would give insight into where Mariyam's issues/imperfections lie besides the fact that she is a widow currently.

2. I also would have liked Imran to have a different equation with her. But then I think the way the show is going with him repeating similar dialogues like Tauseef is interesting. Its a little different. Because if not for that, I cannot imagine Mariyam even looking towards him. She is quite trapped in her own world & she's also meek to a certain extent. So I believe the similarities are needed to drag her out of the four walls of the house. And also the dialogues may be similar, but as of now, its quite obvious that Imran-Tauseef are very different. In fact I also feel that what connects with Mariyam is how Imran seems to voice a little bit of how she feels more than the similarities with Tauseef per se. Also as per the promos, the focus of this show seems to be how these 2 people make Najma's dreams come true not so much on how they fall in love.

3. Regarding Imran, I think he is indifferent because of the demons in his past that continue to haunt him. I don't think its really the actor's flaw. But then let's see what the writers have in store for him. There is very little we know about his character so far so that might make him seem ambiguous.

4. Yes, Jamal & his wife/mother-in-law scenes are not needed in every episode. It doesn't add much to the story, except for when Jamal comes to Mariyam's house & supports Najma by giving her sweets etc.
I hope he remains in support of mother/daughter.

I didn't watch NBT.. only the first few episodes (my mum used to watch though so i know the story)..but I feel like this show is quite different except for the obvious similarities (widow with a daughter, a neighbour, oppressive family etc)

I am enjoying the show so far.

Thank you :-) I think I vaguely remember interacting with you in the Madhubala forum too...lol...

Anyways coming back to this show...interesting point@ bold regarding Imran...yes they are deliberately keeping him ambiguous and they show flashes of there being more to him from time to time like the way he rebuked his colleagues for speaking cheaply about Mariam or the way he reacts to Najma...just that the pace of the show being as slow as it is, the drinking ends up getting very repetitive...however in recent epis I liked how things picked up vis a vis his and Najma's interactions...those show some promise.

Re: focus of the show...well if the intent really was to put Najma's dream more front and center than the love story b/w Imran-Mariam, then they could lay off the endless "Maula mere" voiceovers for their scenes...but they don't...so it's obvious that they will push the love story more and if that is their intention, they need to make their interactions more interesting than just Mariam zoning out into Tauseef flashbacks yet again.

I do like the slice of life feel of the show otherwise but I am wary of whether they will live up to potential...most shows these days don't.

Re: NBT...yeah I can see that only the general premise is similar...NBT's cast had more spark to it too.
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: staceyandhitesh

I just think they need a character development and give mariyam more courage and be able to speak up about her thoughts! after seeing the first episode i thought she would speak up when its needed but not really! she needs to speak up because shes not no bachari there making her look like one when shes not!!

Good point...yes I would also like to see Mariam speaking up more rather than just wallowing in her Tauseef flashbacks...it really stagnates the story...she deffo needs more character development...I'm not saying she can't think about Tauseef but surely there should be MORE to her than just that and playing the dutiful daughter in law and mother.

Even in the scenes when she's interacted with Imran so far, it's all been quite bland...they don't give her much weighty stuff to say.
BinKuchKahe. thumbnail
@ TM
Thanks for replying! Agree with the points you made :)
Oh I don't remember you from MB forum lol..
And btw, I loved Khoobsurat too..hehe :)

Oh and 1 more point..decide to add it here since its a feedback thread.
The CVs should stop mixing up badminton/tennis. In the episode when Imran was showing his CV to the principal, they mentioned he is a state level tennis player & even the promos mentioned tennis. But clearly what Najma & Tauseef play is badminton. They should not mix this up. It is too obvious a mistake to be made.
Edited by prc_fan1 - 10 years ago
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: prc_fan1

@ TM

Thanks for replying! Agree with the points you made :)
Oh I don't remember you from MB forum lol..
And btw, I loved Khoobsurat too..hehe :)

Oh and 1 more point..decide to add it here since its a feedback thread.
The CVs should stop mixing up badminton/tennis. In the episode when Imran was showing his CV to the principal, they mentioned he is a state level tennis player & even the promos mentioned tennis. But clearly what Najma & Tauseef play is badminton. They should not mix this up. It is too obvious a mistake to be made.

Yeah Khubsoorat was a fun watch :-)

Re: Tennis and Badminton...they aren't mixing them...I read a synopsis for the upcoming epis and it seems that Imran will tell Najma that her playing style is more suited to Tennis than Badminton and that is when Najma will likely want to make the switch to Tennis which might upset Mariam for a bit since she's attached to badminton cuz of Tauseef.
BinKuchKahe. thumbnail

Originally posted by: AreYaar

Yeah Khubsoorat was a fun watch :-)

Re: Tennis and Badminton...they aren't mixing them...I read a synopsis for the upcoming epis and it seems that Imran will tell Najma that her playing style is more suited to Tennis than Badminton and that is when Najma will likely want to make the switch to Tennis which might upset Mariam for a bit since she's attached to badminton cuz of Tauseef.

Oh ok. Thanks for letting me know :)