Custody - A comparison

ankita_sidana thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 9 years ago
Hey everyone...I recently read custody novel on which our show is based. Here is my point of view regarding the book and the show.

Warning: This post is a long one. This is my 500th post on IF. I knw mre than 450 of them are just comments but still I wanted to make it a special one. Hope u lyk it.

Custody-A book about life of two children and their parents. The fight for their possession by parents. The turnmoil of children of seperated parents. Their feelings when they see their parent with someone else. A must read book-blend of emotions and naturality.

Yeh Hai Mohabbtein-A fresh serial of Indian television. Story of two mature dejected individuals who are bound by a common love of a child. How they find support in each other..as they understand each other while behaving as a family. Different from typical Family Drama, the love betwen two individuals is portrayed in a very mature way.

The story of novel starts with a couple in bed. As we Ishra fans, I was imagining Ishita and Raman...but it turns about to be Ashok and Shagun. Shagun, a mother of two kids ditching her husband. Initial chapters focus on the marriage of Raman & Shagun, their kids and their married life.Ashok, Raman's boss falls for Shagun nd then starts the drift in the family.

Neglecting kids, coming latenight, ignoring in bed - all this led to a doubt in his mind and he hired a detective to check his wife. Relevations, then talks ultimately leading to his heart attack. Shagun left home and he disapproved giving divorce. To pressurize him, she kidnapped her own children from their home.

Then started the battle in court. For custody, for visitation rights. After many hearings, children gets sliced between their parents - every weekend with father & weekdays with mother. The son becoming dull, bunking schools and then day boarding. For the sake of divorce, Shagun gets ready to give custody of her children to Raman claiming only visittion rights.

Again a new journey for children. Ruhi with her dad, Arjun at hostel...twice in a year both to newyork with their mother. Ishita, on the other hand is a divorcee, seperated from her husband as she cant concieve due to TB she got in childhood. The writer has focussed on her attempts to come out of her trauma. As destiny had it, she meets Ruhi and then starts a new bond.

Raman and Ishita develop feelings for each other while caring for Ruhi and get married. Again a new battle for children, since Ishita wont allow Ruhi to go to Shagun now.

The story ends wid Ishra getting permanent custody of Ruhi and Shagun of Arjun.

Pheww...i hope it didnt become a very long overview.

Now we all know about YHM.Our Raman, Ishita and Ruhi.

Here is my take on comparison between these two:

RAMAN:
Raman is as caring and loving husband and father in the novel as he is in show except for the fact that he never hated his daughter or any other women. Infact after divorce, he himself was ready for new relationship with Ishita, his only concern being his children dont take it wrong. Its Raman in the novel who has suffered the most. Even in the end, he is left alone to think about a very big loss of his life - his son. But m pretty sure, in our show..Ishu never gonn make him feel alone. And yeah Raman in novel openly talks about her Previous husband having litle knowledge of sex to Ishita. Hope we get some scene like this in the show.

ISHITA:
Our Ishu is more homly, calm and loving as compared to that of the novel. Infact more educated and self dependent also. Ishita left her jobe after marriage, she never lived in joint family with her inlaws, she told her parents after her marriage with Raman. Moreover, unlike show wali Ishu, this Ishu can never be friend wid Arjun. M pretty hopeful, we'll see a very good bonding of Ishu-Adi one day. On the whole, I like YHM Ishu more than custody Ishu...though she becomes more mahaan and give lectures. BUt the character of novel is more natural.

SHAGUN:
Shagun is not actually the vamp of this story. Though she is selfish. All she wanted was to get seperated from Raman...she, her children and Ashok living the life of luxury. She used to talk to her children, but the moment Ashok entered, everything was ignored. He had made her such materialistic that she ignored everyone in front of the luxuries. Whenever she tried to make some sense out of her feelings, he would shut her and show her the brightness of money. She wanted to meet her children but never sticked to them. Infact they were hinderance in her New Year Celebrations. The main difference is that Shagun used to run her own import export business which seems lameless in case of our Airhead lol.

AsHOK:
Not much to say. But he loved Shagun and didn't play his games on her or either Raman also. Infact, he considered Raman a hardworking person and respected him fr it. BUt he just couldnt help fall for his wife. Though he never loved his kids much. Just for Shagun's sake, he got Arjun admitted in India's one of the best school and used to talk to him about his school life. But he was never able to connect himself to kid Ruhi. Due to his behaviour, Shagun dropped the idea of keeping Ruhi and left him with Raman forever. Ashok in the show is much more dangerous than that in the book.Fingers crossed, Adi now considers him as his enemy.

ARJUN/ADI:
A much focussed character of novel...rarely seen in show lol. I liked his character portrayal best in the book. His feelings, his turnmoil - though he is more influenced by his mother, he culdn't help but compare his own father with the newly found one. The touch of some other man on his mother's body made him feel as awkward as was Ishita's Raman's mariage. For him, Ashok was his uncle and Raman his dad though he expected the fact that his parents had their own parteners now. He never wanted to be a laughing stoke in school, hence moved to boarding. Even with his mother, he found it necessary to call his dad informing about his departure. But with time, he become more of Mammas boy as she fills his mind against Ishita which Raman never could do for Ashok. Again, a little hope one day our Adi sure gonna consider Ishita his mother.

RUHI:
Our angel...but she got less focus in the novel. Maybe, her dailogs are less thats why though her appearance is there but she hardly speaks. She feels connected to Ishita..but unlike show, it takes time for her to register her as mother. A child who is always lost, unable to speak in an interview, a pathetic condition. Frankly speaking, I was just reading this part but was not able to connect much to this character, as only I remebered was our little angel of YHM which she is not. Thank to cvs for giving such a wonderful chaacter of Ruhi.

Except for these characters, there was a much mentioned bond in the story whcich was of Raman and Shagun's mom. The two shared mutual love and understanding. Shagun's mother always stopped her from leaving him. During his heart attack, during the courtcase, she was the one who tried whatever she could to stop them. Ultimately being the mother, she favoured her daughter making Raman realise - Blood is Blood.

If Purnima is really Shagun's mother, then I m eager to see what cvs have in store for us.

On the whole, our show has much more bondings than that book viz. Ishu-toshi, Raman-amma, Ishu-bala, Raman-Mihir etc etc. Actually an Indian soap has much more characters and sideline stories to cover whcich cant be expected from a novelist.

Well Ishu and Raman are single child of their parents and not much family hipe is there. Moreover, the book is not a blend of 2 states with Tamil Punjabi flavour.

But its interesting enough to keep u hooked. Infact one day I read it for 9 hours out of 24. If u start reading, u'll gonna enjoy it. Me to Ishra love story ki start hone ke w8 me hi itne chapter prh gyi lol.

P.S. Hope i didnt bore u much with my bakbak. Feel free to share your views and hit like. pls tell me how u find it.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

karela63 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
thank u ...i really wanted to someone to compare the story of yhm n custody...its good...just wishing tht cvs dont spoil n keep this as mature as they can...w/out so many twists n conspiracy ..
The_Imane thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Thank u for sharing, difference between novel n shows, and characters difference...
Congratts on ur 500th post
ankita_sidana thumbnail

u welx dear..thnks 4 liking
VENBA thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
It was a lovely post and good comparison...πŸ‘πŸ‘
tdto thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
congrats on you 500th post!
Also read Custody and found it interesting and really enjoying the show. In my comparison, I like the characterization both Raman and Ishita better in the show.  I felt really bad for the book Raman, I felt he was always trying to do the right thing and always got short changed. Found the book Ishita desperate to petty especially the way she manipulated Ruhi and Raman against Arjun, I get that Arjun didn't like her but he was child with split feeling, confused and conflicted between 2 parents.
Really like the show Raman, his strength and the show Ishita's willing to compromise and reach out both children.

Great postπŸ‘
-AditiS thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Thank you for the post.
It gave me a quick insight to the novel n the creative liberty yhm team had taken for the serial. .
ankita_sidana thumbnail

Originally posted by: karela63

thank u ...i really wanted to someone to compare the story of yhm n custody...its good...just wishing tht cvs dont spoil n keep this as mature as they can...w/out so many twists n conspiracy ..

aawww...thnku..hope i kept ur expectations
nd yeahh...hope our show remains unique n mature always..fingers crossed..
ankita_sidana thumbnail

Originally posted by: The_Imane

Thank u for sharing, difference between novel n shows, and characters difference...
Congratts on ur 500th post

u welxx dear...
thnks 4 likingg
ankita_sidana thumbnail

Originally posted by: VENBA

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">It was a lovely post and good comparison...</font>πŸ‘πŸ‘

thnkewww