AreYaar thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
There are many promising things about this show...the PH has done a good job in the past of showing relationships in a sensitive manner in their shows...the setup director Mr. Siddharth Sengupta for however long he directs this show will likely make it worth the while...and then the cast overall is very well cast.

Some of the things that I liked more specifically:

1) Ashnoor...baccha it's so good to see you back on screen againπŸ€—...she's grown so much! Not just in height but her acting abilities continue to grow...and that's lovely to see...as Najma, she is both innocent and sweet yet headstrong and fiercely protective of her mother...and her screen presence is as delightful as always.

2) Barkha is doing a lovely job as Mariam...as the widow still madly in love with her husband and imagining him around her every few minutes and the mother nurturing Najma to the best of her abilities.

3) The backdrop...now there has been a rise of shows with Muslim backdrops recently but somehow they all fall prey to trite cliches...for once, I liked how this show opened up...the scene in the mosque where the questions were raised about whether women should work...the hijab scene and the way Mariam decides to walk home regardless .showed a world where conservative viewpoints struggle alongside a newer/more liberal approach in society...a world still not having fully emerged from the old conservative norms...

At the same time, I liked that none of it was preachy about what makes for right/wrong...that values come from within and not from what you wear...that point was made nicely without going OTT about it.

Lucknow really has a lovely charm to it and no wonder a lot of shows are based there but I hope this show can continue to find that balance b/w the backdrop as well as the story without compromising on either.

4) The other characters...especially Jamaal and the grandfather...lovely casting! I loved the dialogues of both these characters...and I like how they strike a balance in contrast to the ultra-conservative viewpoint of Yusuf and his wife...Jamaal is really funny with his one-liners and shaayari and I love the tehzeeb with which the grandfather (Salman) talks.

5) For once, they actually showed a Hindu character in a Muslim worldπŸ˜†...the friendship b/w the two oldies was sweet and I hope they can show more of a mix of characters rather than keeping it one-dimensional with all Muslim or all Hindu characters...especially considering the fact that we all live in a more secular world now and mix with people from all kinds of backgrounds and religions...and even for Lucknow, I'm sure that is true within neighborhoods as well.

6) The show has a slice of life feel to it that I hope lasts...I noticed that it's written by Zama Habib who wrote stuff like SGP and Saas Bina Sasural so that might be the reason the show has this feel but regardless I hope it continues...

7) The show opened with the usual marriage issue but I liked how Mariam stood up for herself and refused the rishta when the guy wouldn't accept Najma...It's interesting that in an uber-conservative society, they are still showing the women speaking up and that is nice...maybe the fact that her late husband seemed like a liberal guy adds to this dimension in Mariam...also issues like gender inequality are being addressed.

8) The guy playing Imran has a good voice...noticed that in the bit when he was shouting at his Mamaji...lol...also the character of Rehmat Khala is funny too with the way she keeps muttering and complaining while she works.

Good stuff so far...looking forward to the next epi.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MasoomaBukhari thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
beautiful post πŸ‘ and definitely this show has come up with a different idea
Swetha-Sai thumbnail
Anu πŸ€—
Beautiful post by u dear! πŸ‘
Supporting cast of this show is quite good! πŸ‘
Mr. Sengupta is known to quit shows also quite often! πŸ˜†
I hope quality and storyline of this show doesn't suffer in long run as this show airs 6 days a week! πŸ€”

P.S Mohan - Megha were also neighbors in NBT ... aur yahan pe Imran -Mariyum ! πŸ˜†
soapbubble thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7
the most promising of the Sony Pal lot, I felt. Quite excited!
What has Mr. Siddharth Sengupta done before this?
Bubble
Swetha-Sai thumbnail

Originally posted by: soapbubble

Bubble

He has directed shows like Balika Vadhu, Jyoti, Radha ki betiyaan kuch kar dekhayein gi, Gulaal! 😳
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Swetha-

Anu πŸ€—

I hope quality and storyline of this show doesn't suffer in long run as this show airs 6 days a week! πŸ€”

P.S Mohan - Megha were also neighbors in NBT ... aur yahan pe Imran -Mariyum ! πŸ˜†

Thanks, Swetha!

LOL yes Mr. Sengupta never stays for long with a show but maybe he might stick with this one for a bit if it's a Sphere Origins show? Let's hope.

Woah 6 days a week? Hmm then it's gonna be tough to maintain qualityπŸ˜•

LOL you wanna talk NBT deja vu? Yes they are neighbors, the whole mohalla feel is also very similar...the widow remarriage talks...and to go a few steps further...grown up Addu ki gf is now Najma ki cousinπŸ˜†...and Megha ka chipku almost fiance Manav is the "Amar" of this showπŸ˜†

Aur Nanhi toh Nanhi hi rahegi humesha...what a gorgeous screen presence this child has...God bless really.
AreYaar thumbnail

Originally posted by: soapbubble

Bubble

I haven't checked out the other shows yet but even from the promos this one looked the most promising of the lot...hope it sticks to that.

Mr. Sengupta is generally what can be called a "set up" director on Indian television...he's directed the first 7-10 epis of many recent shows like Jee Le Zaraa, Rangrasiya etc...but I primarily admire him for his work with shows Gulaal and Balika Vadhu...he's absolutely brilliant at bringing about the nuances of relationships and various emotions.

For example if I was to point out a scene from this very show...the way that whole perspective of Mariam was shot when she was stuck at the mosque without her hijaab...the way she looks out at the street from behind the gate...the way the people are milling about in the street...actually that whole mosque bit was so nicely shot without it being a typical dargah scene as they show in any desi soap when it comes to a Muslim backdrop...
MasoomaBukhari thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4

Anu πŸ€—

@red.. so u mean ashnoor (in her shows) always gets her neighbour for her widow mom πŸ˜†

well NBT was an amazing show πŸ‘πŸΌ so is TSHJA πŸ˜ƒ
Swetha-Sai thumbnail
@Anu
Can u pls ripp the Title track and Maula mere maula song played in these episodes na? 😳 Pls upload them to ur YT a/c na ..? 😊
soapbubble thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 7

He has directed shows like Balika Vadhu, Jyoti, Radha ki betiyaan kuch kar dekhayein gi, Gulaal! 😳

Oh, quite an impressive line-up! thanks for telling me 😊