Views

Users

Frequent Posters

goody2shoes thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

Originally posted by: sona89

Hi Naila
wow! What a start...Awesome...Naku running from her own wedding...waiting to read further...plsss UD soon😊

Aww thank you, the next update will be soon :) Glad you liked it. Thank you for reading and commenting. :)
mirage123 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Hi naila

Thanks for starting new story...it makes forum worth coming...fab story of run away bride...looking frwd to knowing this stranger...ud fast😊

goody2shoes thumbnail

Originally posted by: mirage123

Hi naila

Thanks for starting new story...it makes forum worth coming...fab story of run away bride...looking frwd to knowing this stranger...ud fast😊

HI mirage, thank you for reading. Indeed run away bride. This Nakusha is anything but meek ;) keep reading all shall unravel soon, I promise :)
Hamlet53 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail
@naila edited my comment on pg.1.. once again jolly good ..
love hammie.
goody2shoes thumbnail

*Hey Guys. First and foremost: thank you for reading, liking and commenting. It warmed by heart so much. The words of encouragement really were like elixir to me :) SO thank you. Ok so some of you have some queries and rather interesting theories. I love it. Keep them up, I won't divulge (just yet) whether you're right or not. But keep reading, hopefully some of your thoughts will be put to rest. If not? Well what are the other (upcoming) chapters for? Either way, long story short. Disclaimer: I own nothing from LTL, nor any other movie/show mentioned herein this chapter, albeit the characters portrayed here are my own doing. But above all please do enjoy*

-----------------------------------------------------

Chapter Two: Two sides of the same coin

Date: April 2004
Time: 8.03 a.m
Place: West End London, rented flat
Mood: Ambitious

It was the year 2004. Ten years ago. When lip gloss, sweat bands for wrists and low waist jeans were the highlight of any fashionista. Alas as Nakusha would now cringe, she too had succumbed to such fads. That and wearing pink on Wednesdays- if nobody got the reference they were clearly not cool, that and they must have been responsible for pushing Regina under the bus before prom. Yes it was 2004. When Mean Girls was given birth and TV became one giant pain in the arse in the form of all the Reality TV. Yet for Nakusha the med student it was the fad crazy diet; Atkins, that had her head fuming. Especially since her best friend had succumbed to such stupidity.

"Leela, you're a med student, you of all people should realise this is insane." Nakusha scowled, peering over her anatomy textbook at breakfast as she- unfortunately- witnessed Leela devour a steak.

"The pounds speak for themselves, dear. Six, in one week and counting." Leela grinned, as she sloppily munched-partially because she was a massive meat eater but mostly to annoy Nakusha.

This is what you get for vacuuming when I am nursing a hangover.' She amused to herself as she bit into more meat.

"Whoa if looks could kill ey? Main kab ki mar jaati" Leela mocked dramatically.

Nakusha raised her eyebrow at her;

"Nope I'm using my jedi mind tricks to give you food poisoning" She winked.

"Dude, you're such a geek." Leela laughed.

"Toh?" Nakusha chided back, failing to suppress her grin as she saw Leela roll her eyes in response.

"Have you seen the trailer for The Notebook?" Leela asked as she bit into more steak

"Not another RomCom" Nakusha groaned as she highlighted her book.

"You're joking right, have you not seen Mr Fan-Yourself-Because-His-Hotness-Will-Melt-You?"

"If you're referring to Gisling..."

"Gosling" Leela corrected disgusted at Nakusha's complete lack of interest

"Gisling-Gosling same thing- as to hot really? Sweetie get your eyes tested."

"Says chashmish." Leela taunted,

"Exactly, unlike you with the aid of my specs I have perfect vision. So pay heed to my advice." Nakusha responded back with her witty remark.

"C'mon we should so go to see it this summer." Leela pleaded.

"Can't, I have my summer internship remember, the one you are seriously about to miss if you don't get your act together. Deadlines are approaching you know." Nakusha warned.

Leela rolled her eyes.

"Relax, I'll get onto it, it's on my to do list,' right below Ricky." She winked.

"Eww," Nakusha pulled a face;

"He looks like he could do with a long wash. A month long soak should cover it."

"It's his artist look. Ok."

"It's called being homeless, which you'll be if you don't get your backside into gear. This month's rent is due." Nakusha forewarned.

"Always the killjoy. We have are whole lives to be doctors, but now, now is our student being time."

" Student' being the operative word." Nakusha replied back raising an eyebrow

Leela gave her a dead pan look adding;

"University is more than just getting a degree you know."

"And that's exactly the type of thinking which won't get me into the Mckenzie Neurology programme." Nakusha informed as she picked up her empty mug and placed it into the sink.

"Uff." Leela sighed, picking up her own plate too.

"Galti hogaye." She teased, as Nakusha closed her book, and walked off to her room to study for her practical at UCL, smiling at her unnecessarily dramatic best friend.

It wasn't that Leela wasn't as ambitious as Nakusha. Surviving medical school, becoming a doctor meant that everyone was ambitious. It just so happened, that Nakusha had that fire in her belly. To her medicine as clichd as it sounded was her passion. She was the person who enjoyed reading medical journals, who volunteered, who sought out lectures, seminars and workshops held by renowned surgeons and physicists even if that meant she would have to drive all the way to Scotland-to another country-to hear the lecture. For as long as she could remember her ambition and goal in life had been to be a Neurologist.

The human brain is the most remarkable. People often mock that the heart trumps the brain, but Nakusha knew very well that the brain was for more powerful. It was in control, while the heart succumbed to needless urges the brain sought to separate whims from rationality. The latter always shining through. The medical world was thriving and Nakusha wanted to be a part of it. Nay, she wanted to be at the heart of it. She wanted to be there for all the medical going-ons, she wanted to partake in research, to explore potential avenues. She didn't just want to be a doctor; she needed to be a doctor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

It was nearing 10 a.m when Leela knocked on Nakusha's door;

"Come in."

Leela opened her door,

"Are you not going today?" She asked, the concern and worry for her friend elevating.

In reality Nakusha had completely forgotten that she was going to go today. Last time had been torture enough that she didn't even realise the month was up and she was due for another visit.

"I can come with..."

Nakusha cut across her, rather quickly;

"No, it's ok. I'm going to go later today."

"Are you sure?" Leela asked with trepidation, being completely aware that her best friend was hurting.

"Yes I am" Nakusha responded masking her pain. She saw that Leela was not convinced and so added;

"Honestly, I'm fine. It's just a visit; truthfully I'm immune to it now." She half laughed.

Leela still looked cautious.

"L, I love you for caring, but frown anymore and you'll get wrinkles."

Leela couldn't help but shake her head; clearly Nakusha didn't want to talk about this matter anymore.

"Seriously, I'm right here if you want me to come with, I know last time she was awful to you. Just say the word. OK."

"Yes Madam." Nakusha replied teasing Leela by saluting her in exaggeration.

"I mean it. Rehab is hard. I don't want you to go alone."

Nakusha who had been sat cross legged on her bed, amongst her books, scooped them aside, getting up she rushed over towards Leela, hugging her she whispered.

"I know. I do appreciate all the support, even though at times I might not show it, but trust me, I'm ok."

She hugged her tighter before finishing;

"When I need help I will ask for it. Be rest assured on that."

-------------------------------------------

Date: November 2004
Time: 2.26 a.m
Place: Washington D.C, hotel room.
Mood: Celebratory

"I know you'd rather walk through a furnace in a gasoline suit than consider the possibility that John Kerry would lose Ohio." CBS anchor Dan Rather mocked. The clip had been shown for the fifth time that night. He was clearly never going to live this down.

Two time president. Apparently ghaddon ka raj hain' Dutta murmured to himself, as he turned away from the TV screen, sighing a little.

Yet another four years with this clown in office, it's a good job I'm skipping town.'

Dutta, turned off the TV, making his way to the mini bar-with nothing taking his fancy he resorted back to his half empty Starbucks coffee cup. Something was off today, he had been sat before his computer since this morning but could not for the life him, get his words right. He'd flicked through all the major news channels, even the lesser known ones and had even braved watching Fox news-a mistake when he realised he must have lost a brain cell or two-but as luck would have it, he just could not write his article. At that point he thanked his lucky stars that he had been promoted, after months of hard work and extra credit, his new job was on the horizon. Come New Year, Dutta could sense he'd be a new person too. Research was his thing-it would always be his thing, but now he'd get to travel as a political correspondent and he could not ask for more. After the years of hard work, it finally felt like he's achieved his dreams.

This piece on the election night was his last political satire, for almost a year now, Dutta who had landed a job with this quaint paper when he graduated from Yale, had been stuck writing his political satire column, although that meant heaps of research and experience, it also meant stationery. The one thing Dutta hated more than the black tie events his parents always arranged. He needed to fly. He needed to move; he couldn't sit still and watch his life fly by. He wanted to live. He did not want to be his father. Replaying the same year, over and over and calling it a life. Even if in his heart of hearts he knew he was destined that way.

Political journalism was his passion. It wasn't just a matter of power and who could bend the masses mind the best, but it was crudely put humanity at its best. If on the one hand you had an idiot in office, his lack of ability would give birth to a future revolutionary. If on the one side a political state oppressed the people of another, then that would beseech demand and change, it would generate solidarity. After all the American civil rights movement hadn't occured over night.

But alas, it may have been 2004 and the red's may have had won, yet again, with the elephant taking home the trophy and though, the inner democrat in Dutta remained bitter about that, especially every time he recalled yet another savage massacre in Afghanistan, he couldn't help but feel celebratory. This time next week, he'd be in Thailand (perk of the promotion was this two month holiday/research in Thailand, focusing on political disharmony and change the century had brought.) A week from now, Dutta would be experiencing the culture, meeting the people, learning the language, trying the cuisine and seeing all the historic places.

Truthfully that is all Dutta had ever wanted in life. To travel. To travel and write. Although he'd been fortunate enough growing up to travel-and writing had always been his passion he had never been given the opportunity to mash the two together and forge what was his lifelong career goal. So naturally when the opportunity was thrust in his way, he could not help but grab it with both hands. Next Week Thailand, then Europe, then Australia...the sky really was the limit.

------------------------------------------------------

Accepting that his wits were just not about him today, Dutta sighed. He needed a distraction. And as luck would have it, that distraction came in the form of phone call from his one and only;

"Bhau!" He had to hold the phone away from his ear, Dutta shook his head half amused, apart from knowing his best friend Bajirao was drunk from the volume in which he'd spoken, Dutta could have sworn he could smell the alcohol through the receiver.

"Are you drunk dialling me again?" He questioned.

"Hic-Nahi Toh-Hic-I just wanted to hear your voice." Bajirao hiccoughed back in response.

"How about you sober up first, then we'll talk." Dutta amused. He could hear music in the background; clearly Baji was at yet another party.

"Wait wait, when you leaving for Thailand?" Baji managed.

"Next week. Why? You're not coming with me. The wife should stay at home." Dutta ridiculed.

"Hardy-ha ha" Baji scorned.

"Where are you?" Dutta asked as the bass grew louder.

"Hang on." Baji yelled,

Dutta could hear him rummage through the crowd; presumably he was headed for somewhere quiet.

"Ok, is that better?-hic"

"Yeah, go on, so why are you asking?"

"Because I need to give you a visa..." Baji responded back sarcastically before continuing

"Kya yaar, my best bud is off away to another hic-country-on the other side of the world, I just want to hang out before you up hic-and leave-and this time before you reach the airport."

"Who told you to come running in at the airport like some majnu half naked, last time."

"Ok firstly I was wearing boxers, all parts needing covering were covered..."

"Barely." Dutta interrupted as he smirked remembering the reaction of the older lady who'd seen much more of Baji than she had bargained.

"COVERED," Baji repeated and then continued quickly before Dutta could interrupt him again.

"Last time you just up'd and left with no warning, this time I'm not going to let that happen."

"So?"

"So? Party dude" Baji responded, shaking his head at Dutta's lack of interest.

"If by party you mean the black tie dinner event Mom has arranged, then sorry I'll tell you what I told her: I'm not coming."

"C'mon man, it's the after party we're interested in. Think of all the booze, the food, and mostly the girls."

"I said no, I know why she's doing it. It's not going to broker any peace, so no. Besides it's going to be a bunch of fat cats in pin stripped suits discussing shares and stock markets, I clearly don't fit in."

"Bhau..."

"Look, Baji, I'm more than happy to hang out, we can grab a bite to eat, and hit a club like old times. But I am not going to go to that event. I've told mom myself. But since she does not get the message and has clearly gotten to you to, I will repeat myself for the last time. Make sure she understands. I won't be there."

----------------------------------------------------

It was 6.43a.m by the time Dutta had finished his article. There was no point in sleeping now, in an hour it would be dawn, and then work, after which he'd be meeting Baji. Baji was just like his little brother, a year apart, the two had literally grown up together. What with both their families being professionally linked, it made sense. Yet Dutta knew, he wouldn't have maintained that friendship had it not been for Baji himself. He may have been another rich heir, like Dutta, but in reality he was as far removed from that social circle like Dutta was. Although Baji unlike Dutta, had gone into finance and banking just as his father had wanted him too, Dutta had forged his own path-much to his own father's chagrin. Yet somehow despite this, the two were still best buds. Scratch that they were brothers. Although Dutta did have a younger sibling, he never had that bond-nor did he believe he ever would-with Roop, that he shared with Baji. It was as simple as that.

After years of anger and resentment his father had seemed to relapse into the view that, Dutta would come round, eventually. For now he was going to go off and live his life, but eventually he'd come back. All roosters came home to roost. Dutta would need to roost soon. Dutta who had spent years away from the kind of lifestyle his parents relished, couldn't help but irk that may be they were right. May be what his destiny had planned for him was his family business. A trophy wife. A picture perfect family. Being settled in one place. Everything he now ran away from.

But that was his far off future. For now he was going to live in the present.

Carpe Diem.' Dutta amused

------------------------------------------------

Thank you for reading. Hopefully you enjoyed it. Next update shall hopefully be in a couple of days :)

Edited by goody2shoes - 9 years ago
Iridescence1 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Hey Naila, glad to see you're writing a FF here. I'm excited to read it.
Am a bit busy these days. I've read the first part and loved it...you have great writing style...I have yet to read the next part but I will be back to comment on both parts as soon as I can :)

Take care. Phir milenge chalte chalte
Edited by -daya- - 10 years ago
goody2shoes thumbnail

Originally posted by: -daya-

Hey Naila, glad to see you're writing a FF here. I'm excited to read it.

Am a bit busy these days. I've read the first part and loved it...you have great writing style...I have yet to read the next part but I will be back to comment on both parts as soon as I can :)

Take care. Phir milenge chalte chalte

Hi Daya, thank you for the sweet words :) and thank you for reading.
Nakusha thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Hi naila

I knew u have a good observation & point of view while reading your comment...but you surprised me...have I missed any of your writing before ...you seem pro...😳we have exceptional good writers & you deserve to be part of...loved the story

Read the first part ...naku ditching the guy & running off...me m sure he doesn't deserve her...stranger appear ...I m waiting to read further...neurology student...she has brain...intro of dutta & baji...good

Continue soon...big welcome😊

Edited by Nakusha - 10 years ago
goody2shoes thumbnail

Originally posted by: Nakusha

Hi naila

I knew u have a good observation & point of view while reading your comment...but you surprised me...have I missed any of your writing before ...you seem pro...😳we have exceptional good writers & you deserve to be part of...loved the story

Read the first part ...naku ditching the guy & running off...me m sure he doesn't deserve her...stranger appear ...I m waiting to read further...neurology student...she has brain...intro of dutta & baji...good

Continue soon...big welcome😊

AAAH Nakusha how sweet of you. I am positively beaming. Thank you so much for reading and your kind words!!!!

Nope not a pro. Although I have written a few stories on Fanfiction.net befoe :) I just love writing, nearly as much as reading lol. But seriously thank you.

Yes our Nakusha is a smart cookie, as is Dutta: naturally sparks will fly :) keep reading, update will be soon. I'm hoping in the next couple of days :)

once again thank you for reading
jedy25 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Hi naila

Superb SS...run away intelligent bride & intelligent dutta...chemistry is bound to take...pls ud soon😊

Edited by jedy25 - 10 years ago