Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

amritat thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

Originally posted by: Eternized_Blues

Very interesting post. You have done a beautiful job laying out the Arjun-Draupadi feelings.

My personal take on Arjun-Draupadi relationship and most important Arjun's silence is that Arjun did not expressed himself because of his brothers. He had a great sense of responsibility not as much as Yudhishtir but he was right behind him as he was supposed to be as cool headed and someone who put everyone's feelings before his be it his mother, brother or Madhav.
His open feelings about Draupadi would have other brothers uncomfortable as Arjun was the one who won her in the Swayamvar. He never expressed himself blatantly because he did not want to cause a rift between his brothers. So he made extra efforts in order to maintain that unity among the brothers. After all he loved his brothers above all.

Blues

Thank u so much. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Well, I have heard of this theory, and to some extent, I do agree with it.
He loved his brothers more than his wife, and that clearly reflects in some scenes.
He refrained from showing his love openly, to keep the unity intact, but this probably hampered his equation with Draupadi. Maybe, or maybe not.
Thanks again for commenting. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
luv_sakshi thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
@Amrita:
What a Beautiful piece of Writing Yaar!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ And so Wonderfully Poetic๐Ÿ˜ณ...Hat's Off to you for Writing this!!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ..It Touched me !๐Ÿ˜ญ

ArDi๐Ÿค—...Forbidden Love..or True Love that was only Destined for Sacrifices...no one knows but them..there were so many things that seemed so Mysterious about their Relationship and its Depth..

I don't Know if True Love can be Measured and How its Defined...but One Thing's for Sure...ArDi had a Connection๐Ÿ˜Š...a Connection that was more Spiritual..and for either, each will always remain as the First Love of their Heartsโค๏ธ..the First Ones to Take each other by the Hand and Heart..Arjun's first Wife and Draupadi's first Husband...and this will Always be Special!!โญ๏ธ
amritat thumbnail

Originally posted by: luv_sakshi

@Amrita:

What a Beautiful piece of Writing Yaar!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘ And so Wonderfully Poetic๐Ÿ˜ณ...Hat's Off to you for Writing this!!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ..It Touched me !๐Ÿ˜ญ

ArDi๐Ÿค—...Forbidden Love..or True Love that was only Destined for Sacrifices...no one knows but them..there were so many things that seemed so Mysterious about their Relationship and its Depth..

I don't Know if True Love can be Measured and How its Defined...but One Thing's for Sure...ArDi had a Connection๐Ÿ˜Š...a Connection that was more Spiritual..and for either, each will always remain as the First Love of their Heartsโค๏ธ..the First Ones to Take each other by the Hand and Heart..Arjun's first Wife and Draupadi's first Husband...and this will Always be Special!!โญ๏ธ

Thanks dear. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Yes, Arjun and Draupadi had a connection, and that is y, there are people, who love this pairing, despite all the silence.
Many people think that Parth-Panchali pairing has been endorsed by Star Plus, but that's not completely true.
I have been a fan of this pairing since childhood.
And there are many others like me too.
Thanks again, for commenting. ๐Ÿ˜Š
srishtisingh thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
abt ar di equation I understand he did.love her but most of the time wjen decision making things came he was overshadowed by his two bros. also women in that era held second priority for responsible family guys. I too think arjun knew severity of situation! and I really do think if he had returned the same passion or possesiveness as bheem, it would have become an uncontrollable fire because it will b like mixing ghee in fire. and that celebrated pandava unity would b nowhere. another theory which I have in my mind is way of thinking of those era people was different. they didn't fantasize abt love or expressing like we do in today world.

saying all this still I am a big ar di fan and believe there was mutual love from both side
sanayabarunlove thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
loved your post!! and here's what i always think. draupadi was arjuna's first love and vice versa, to say arjun didn't mind his first love being shared is completely not human but he remained silent like you've said. i think arjun practiced silence in some instances because he had faith in his brother bheem. arjun and draupadi shared a very silent bond. they loved eachother for sure. he knew she loved him the most and because draupadi belonged to all five of them he never wanted to lead her on so that she could remain a dutiful wife to all five of them. had arjun cared for her as much as she cared for him, she probably wouldn't have been a very good wife to the others and that would mean trouble for her. so i always believe he was only trying to protect her in a whole. and i recently read arjun the saga of a pandava prince by anuja chandramouli. i liked it and there during their last trek, when draupadi falls, arjun has some inner thoughts that reflect my exact thoughts. it always seemed like he didn't love her as much as she loved him, but in reality he loved her just as much as she loved him.
Edited by sanayabarunlove - 10 years ago
bunnylovessunny thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: sanayabarunlove

loved your post!! and here's what i always think. draupadi was arjuna's first love and vice versa, to say arjun didn't mind his first love being shared is completely not human but he remained silent like you've said. i think arjun practiced silence in some instances because he had faith in his brother bheem. arjun and draupadi shared a very silent bond. they loved eachother for sure. he knew she loved him the most and because draupadi belonged to all five of them he never wanted to lead her on so that she could remain a dutiful wife to all five of them. had arjun cared for her as much as she cared for him, she probably wouldn't have been a very good wife to the others and that would mean trouble for her. so i always believe he was only trying to protect her in a whole. and i recently read arjun the saga of a pandava prince by anuja chandramouli. i liked it and there during their last trek, when draupadi falls, arjun has some inner thoughts that reflect my exact thoughts. it always seemed like he didn't love her as much as she loved him, but in reality he loved her just as much as she loved him.

You know I think I made a comment on similar lines before in the forum! I think the exact same thing about their relationship, but then again, you know that! :D :D Wonderful post amrita, loved how you've analysed their relationship! :D :D
Eternized_Blues thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: amritat

Thank u so much. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Well, I have heard of this theory, and to some extent, I do agree with it.
He loved his brothers more than his wife, and that clearly reflects in some scenes.
He refrained from showing his love openly, to keep the unity intact, but this probably hampered his equation with Draupadi. Maybe, or maybe not.
Thanks again for commenting. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@ italics- Interesting thought.

I have always thought after the decision was made that Draupadi was going to marry all the Pandavas, he took a step back emotionally where his feelings for her were concerned. I am sure he still loved her very much he just did not advertise it like the other brothers. And to compensate that he became her friend as well as her husband which I think the other four didn't. So, in his own way, Arjun gave her an extra right on him that she did not have with other four brothers. Yudhishtir was all about Dharma, so he offered guidance when she was confused about her feelings. Bheem gave her that unconditional love. Nakul and Sahadev were younger than her. Arjun became her friend whom she could tell her feelings without being judged as sometimes he dealt with the similar issues.

Blues

amritat thumbnail

Originally posted by: srishtisingh

abt ar di equation I understand he did.love her but most of the time wjen decision making things came he was overshadowed by his two bros. also women in that era held second priority for responsible family guys. I too think arjun knew severity of situation! and I really do think if he had returned the same passion or possesiveness as bheem, it would have become an uncontrollable fire because it will b like mixing ghee in fire. and that celebrated pandava unity would b nowhere. another theory which I have in my mind is way of thinking of those era people was different. they didn't fantasize abt love or expressing like we do in today world.

saying all this still I am a big ar di fan and believe there was mutual love from both side

Hmm. That's an interesting theory. ๐Ÿ˜Š
And I think that u r right.
Many reasons could be there, as to y he remained silent.
And I am a die-hard Parth-Panchali fan, and I too want to believe that they loved each other a lot.
Anyway, thanks for commenting. ๐Ÿ˜Š
amritat thumbnail

Originally posted by: sanayabarunlove

Thanks a lot. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
Yes, I have heard of that novel, where in the end, Arjun admits to himself, that he loved Draupadi just as much. I hope, Ved Vyas had mentioned it.
Thanks again for commenting. ๐Ÿ˜Š
bheegi thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Great post as always Amrita
As eternalized blues mentioned above, I think Arjun's silence is a reflection of his dedication to the unity of the Pandavs. Even in the dyut sabha when Bhima was ready to burn Yudi's hands, Arjun restrained his brother as he didn't want a fall out between the brothers. I think he always knew that Draupadi loved him the most as she was quite an expressive lady and if he reciprocated that affection openly, it could create a potential rift among the brothers.

The only time Arjun let loose his feelings was during the war when Yudi insulted his Gandiv (just before the battle with Karna)

I think we see the pent up feelings pour out at that moment. Of course, Arjun regretted saying all those words to Yudi later but in the heat of the moment he did say: when you mocked me from Draupadi's bed. For me, that one line in the whole epic says it all.