Arjun and Draupadi..........A Love Lost in Translation.....

amritat thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

I had once said in one of my previous threads, that I read Mahabharat for the first time, when I was in class V, and it was one of the kiddish versions, by Upendrakishore RayChaudhury. My tryst with Draupad started there itself.

Once, someone asked me, how can u relate to Draupadi, at such a young age?

I was in school then, and our Bengali teacher was reading out the part, where Arjun had kidnapped Subhadra. The moment that part was read out, one questioned echoed in my mind, "Isn't Arjun already married? What will happen to his first wife, now that he has fallen madly in love with Subhadra?"

And that was the moment, I became attached to her. I wondered, does Arjun not love Draupadi anymore? Has the separation of 12 years made him forget her? I was a child then, and didn't quite comprehend the idea of polygamy. Draupadi had obligations, and so she married 5 men. What obligation Arjun had, I wondered. Although, I love Subhadra as a character, but that feeling for Draupadi echoed, in my heart and mind.

Many, many members of this forum have made various posts regarding the relationship between Arjun and Draupadi. There is probably no doubt about the fact, that Draupadi loved Arjun, the most. However, what did Arjun ever feel for her? That is often a debatable point. Some people believe that he never loved her, some people believe that he loved her the most, and some others like me console ourselves with a "silent love" theory.

But today, without going into philosophy...let's analyze the moments of Arjun and Draupadi that, we have in the epic, as seen in KMG.

Arjun and Draupadi first met at Swamvar, where Arjun won Draupadi's hand by a winning a tough archery competition. Soon after reaching the potter's house, Draupadi was declared as the common wife of all 5 Pandavas. Arjun remained silent, and so did Draupadi. Why? It's difficult to say.

Next, we find Arjun leaving for exile, where he fell in love with Chitrangada and Subhadra, and came back to Indraprastha, with Subhadra. Draupadi felt wrathful, hurt, and jealous, and her distress was lessened by an innocent and lovely Subhadra. Soon after, both Draupadi and Subhadra gave birth to Arjun's children. Later, Draupadi was staked and dragged, and disrobed and all her husbands watch silently. Apart from Bhima, ALL of her husbands remained quiet, during her most difficult time.

But somehow, it is only Arjun's silence that pinches me the most. And I can give valid reasons for that.

Firstly, Draupadi loved Arjun the most, which is quite palpable. Moreover, Draupadi was being insulted by Karna, who also happened to be Arjun's greatest rival. When Duryodhan showed his thigh to Draupadi, Bhima stood up, to take a vow. When Dushasen touched her hair, Bhima stood up to take another vow. The childhood rivalry between Bhima, and the Kauravas, stirred in him, and unable to bear his wife's insult by those rivals, he promised to avenge everything. But Arjun remained quiet when his greatest rival called his wife a prostitute, and instigated her disrobing. Even later, it was Bhima who declared that Arjun would kill Karna...Arjun, himself, did not say it.

This similar silence can also be seen, when Arjun left to do Tapasya for Lord Shiva. Draupadi poured her heart out to her favourite husband, of how she would miss him, of how that moment of parting was more painful to her, than the moment in which she was getting dragged by her hair. But again, Arjun did not say much. Or maybe, Ved Vyas did not bother to record the words of Arjun. But it's intriguing that he gave importance to the words of Draupadi only.

Another time, we see this silence, when Draupadi's sons died, where as usual only Bhima seemed to be the one reacting violently. Arjun did go after Ashwathama and shoot Brahmastra/Brahmashira(whichever it was), but somewhere, that wrath seemed to be missing. Yes, Yudhisthir too did not react violently. But, a man who calmly stakes his wife, calmly watches her getting disrobed, calmly accepts another round of dice game, after the debacle, is expected to remain calm, when his son is dead.

But we do get to witness Arjun's wrath, after Abhimanyu's death. The ever calm Arjun lost his patience, and killed Jaydrath, and even Vrishasena, in front of Karna's eyes, to avenge his son's killing. Then why did his wrath seem missing when, another son of his, with Draupadi died? Abhimanyu was slaughtered in a cruel manner, but Draupadi's sons, too did not die in a normal battle. We often say that Arjun refrained from expressing his love to Draupadi, and shared a silent bond with her. But does a father's love also need to be silent?

Once again, we see this same silence, when Draupadi died, and Yudisthir declared that Draupadi loved Arjun the most. Yes, they were following Yoga, and so did not look back. But did Arjun not feel anything after hearing that? Did he not feel like saying anything, to his brothers, at that moment? Or did Ved Vyas, not bother to record his words again?

However, amidst these silent moments, there are other moments too, which prove that Arjun did care for Draupadi, after all. Why else would he bother to console her after marrying Subhadra? In those days, Kings and princes married many times, and Draupadi herself had 5 husbands. So, why did Arjun bother so much, that he even sent Subhadra to appease her? He did console his beloved, in exile, when she poured her heart out to her Sakha regarding her humiliation. There's even a beautiful scene, where he carries a tired Draupadi, right before entering Virat, although at insistence of his brother. Their common connection with Lord Krishna can be felt in many scenes.

So, he did care for her. He did love her. But how much, that remains unanswered.

Often, Arjun's silence takes over those moments of joy, and his "love" for Draupadi gets lost somewhere, in translation, in between. Often his silence gets more etched in our minds, than his words with her.And it is for this reason, I guess, that Arjun and Draupadi's equation is called a forbidden love story.But what is it that makes Draupadi so expressive and open about her love for him, and Arjun so silent? Was it the polyandry? What is the reason, for which Draupadi despite having 4 more men in her life, did not forget the man, who had originally won her hand, and continued to love him the most till the very end...and yet, Arjun fell madly in love with another woman?

Was it the sharing? If women could share their husband with other co-wives, and yet continue to love him, with all their hearts, then why couldn't men share their wives with others? Was it the ego, or the social set-up?

But one thing remains clear, and that is, despite all this "silence", Bhima's unflinching loyalty and other factors, Draupadi continued to love Arjun the most.

There's probably only one reason for this...The heart wants, what it wants.

Amrita

(Anu and Bheegi...this post is probably an outcome of that verse in Parva) 😆

Edited by amritat - 9 years ago

DO NOT COPY THIS POST AS THIS IS EXCLUSIVE TO INDIA FORUMS

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

RosChel.Lobster thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
How did I miss such a wonderful post 😲
You have done such deep analysis ⭐️
Great post Amrita u have blended it just beautifully ⭐️

I truly believe he loved Panchali I don't claim most or stuffs but he did love her n very much 😊
amritat thumbnail

Originally posted by: Rushika

How did I miss such a wonderful post 😲

You have done such deep analysis ⭐️
Great post Amrita u have blended it just beautifully ⭐️

I truly believe he loved Panchali I don't claim most or stuffs but he did love her n very much 😊

Thanks Rushika. 😊
Well, I have a lot of confusion, when it comes to Parth-Panchali.
One moment, I believe in their love, and in the next moment, I get confused.
Arjun's silence is very confusing.
Thanks again, for commenting!! 🤗
RosChel.Lobster thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: amritat

Thanks Rushika. 😊
Well, I have a lot of confusion, when it comes to Parth-Panchali.
One moment, I believe in their love, and in the next moment, I get confused.
Arjun's silence is very confusing.
Thanks again, for commenting!! 🤗

as u always say the ambiguity in their relationship make so many crazy for them 😉
I don't know it's Arjun's silence or Vyas missed on his emotions for Panchali 😛
I believe in their love coz they were bound by God himself 😊
amritat thumbnail

Originally posted by: Rushika

as u always say the ambiguity in their relationship make so many crazy for them 😉

I don't know it's Arjun's silence or Vyas missed on his emotions for Panchali 😛
I believe in their love coz they were bound by God himself 😊

Yes dear, they were the Krishnas of the One Krishna.
And it is probably this confusion and silence, that makes people like u and me go crazy over these two...😃
Regina_Lupa thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
you are right amrita!! 👏 👏 👏
wonderful analysis!! 👏 👏
draupadi n arjun shared the silence most... and for me thats the beauty of their love.
as you see the most wonderful love stories in world history never had happy endings. . and this is the mahaepic itself...
I don't know if we can measure out love... draupadi may or may not be arjun's fav queen.. but she is his maharani his first queen...
I think my point lies there...
Edited by Krishnaa_Nair - 10 years ago
amritat thumbnail

Originally posted by: Krishnaa_Nair

you are right amrita
draupadi n arjun shared the silence most... and for me thats the beauty of their love.
as you see the most wonderful love stories in world history never had happy endings. . and this is the mahaepic itself...
I don't know if we can measure out love... draupadi may or may not be arjun's fav queen.. but she is his maharani hus first queen...
I think my point lies there...

Well said!! 😊
Draupadi was his first wife, and maybe this is y I feel for her more.
Thanks for commenting dear. 😃
bloodline thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2

Great analysis Amrita. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! :)

I have read a book in Gujarati that was more like a fictional biography of Draupadi. A very beautiful book written by Kajal Oza Vaidhya.

In one of the passages, Draupadi explains why she loved Arjuna the most among all the brothers. Even though it's fictional book, I found it really heart touching.

The books is best read in Gujarati...the English translation would probably take away 50% of the charm. However, I will try to roughly translate it here:

"I used to feel very lonely whenever Arjuna went away.

Bheem was really caring and loved me a lot but he never understood the small things which my heart desired. His love for me was immense but I could never find the passion and fervor in his love, like I did in Arjuna's.

Nakul and Sahdev were younger than me. I used to take care of them more as a mother than wife.

Yudhisthir lived his life almost like a saint, The Yudhisthir in Indraprasth, who once used to call me 'Priya' or 'Priyamvada', now would call me 'Devi' after the Dhyutsabha. We rarely ever had any conversation.

Arjun, however, would understand me most than the other brothers. He would understand the smallest of my heart's desires. Even in the forest he would bring me flowers, bark of the beautiful trees, or different fragrances. Whenever I did my hair using the beautiful flowers that he brought me, he would always complement me and make me blush. Even when it was not my year to live with Arjuna, I always kept desiring him.

I don't know if it was the influence of Arjuna's friendship with Sakha (Govind), but Arjun really did have an uncanny knack of charming and mesmerizing any woman. Even the smallest of his touch would get my heartbeat up and racing. A mere eye-contact with him would wake up the woman in me. Even when I spent time with other brothers, a corner of my mind was always alive with thoughts of Arjuna.

Was I being unfaithful to the other Pandavas? Was I being unfair in loving Parth more? These questions arouse in mind many times. They kept coming back to me whenever I thought of Arjuna. I knew the answer to them somewhere deep down in my heart but I just never had the courage to admit it."

Edited by bloodline - 10 years ago
amritat thumbnail

Originally posted by: bloodline

Great analysis Amrita. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! :)

I have read a book in Gujarati that was more like a fictional biography of Draupadi. A very beautiful book written by Kajal Oza Vaidhya.

In one of the passages, Draupadi explains why she loved Arjuna the most among all the brothers. Even though it's fictional book, I found it really heart touching.

The books is best read in Gujarati...the English translation would probably take away 50% of the charm. However, I will try to roughly translate it here:

"I used to feel very lonely whenever Arjuna went away.

Bheem was really caring and loved me a lot but he never understood the small things which my heart desired. His love for me was immense but I could never find the passion and fervor in his love, like I did in Arjuna's.

Nakul and Sahdev were younger than me. I used to take care of them more as a mother than wife.

Yudhisthir lived his life almost like a saint, The Yudhisthir in Indraprasth, who once used to call me 'Priya' or 'Priyamvada', now would call me 'Devi' after the Dhyutsabha. We rarely ever had any conversation.

Arjun, however, would understand me most than the other brothers. He would understand the smallest of my heart's desires. Even in the forest he would bring me flowers, bark of the beautiful trees, or different fragrances. Whenever I did my hair using the beautiful flowers that he brought me, he would always complement me and make me blush. Even when it was not my year to live with Arjuna, I always kept desiring him.

I don't know if it was the influence of Arjuna's friendship with Sakha (Govind), but Arjun really did have an uncanny knack of charming and mesmerizing any woman. Even the smallest of his touch would get my heartbeat up and racing. A mere eye-contact with him would wake up the woman in me. Even when I spent time with other brothers, a corner of my mind was always alive with thoughts of Arjuna.

Was I being unfaithful to the other Pandavas? Was I being unfair in loving Parth more? These questions arouse in mind many times. They kept coming back to me whenever I thought of Arjuna. I knew the answer to them somewhere deep down in my heart but I just never had the courage to admit it."

Thank u. 😊
Beautiful piece of writing...ofcourse, these stories are all fictitious...
However, it is the author's perspective, that changes everything.
Thanks for posting this, and thanks for commenting. 😃
Eternized_Blues thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Very interesting post. You have done a beautiful job laying out the Arjun-Draupadi feelings.

My personal take on Arjun-Draupadi relationship and most important Arjun's silence is that Arjun did not expressed himself because of his brothers. He had a great sense of responsibility not as much as Yudhishtir but he was right behind him as he was supposed to be as cool headed and someone who put everyone's feelings before his be it his mother, brother or Madhav.
His open feelings about Draupadi would have other brothers uncomfortable as Arjun was the one who won her in the Swayamvar. He never expressed himself blatantly because he did not want to cause a rift between his brothers. So he made extra efforts in order to maintain that unity among the brothers. After all he loved his brothers above all.

Blues