which movie deserves Oscar nomination? - Page 2

Poll

Which Indian movie deserves Oscar nomination?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Though I am not a Mahesh Bhatt fan but I liked what he said about Oscars in an old article...

http://ww.smashits.com/video/zoomin/30/lagaan-s-oscar-run-ma hesh-bhatt-comments.html

On the eve of the Oscar awards, with a lot of hype built up around Aamir Khan's 'Lagaan', noted filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt has come out very strongly against the importance being given to such awards. He has said that "the manner in which people wag their tails in front of foreign academies and get swayed by them is pathetic and unacceptable."

In a video interview to Smashits.com, Bhatt has said that "there are one billion people in this country and they are a better judge of an Indian film than those who sit on foreign soil and pass judgment. The yardsticks are completely different. I think the box-office rating given by the rickshaw-puller in this country who watches the film and determines whether it is worth watching or not is far more important for any filmmaker. When you make a film, you have to keep in mind the interests of the billion people you are catering to here. The idea is not to make crossover films, which a majority in this country may or may not like. If you want to cater to the international audience, go raise your money there!"

It is well known that Aamir Khan has left no stone unturned to ensure that 'Lagaan' bags the coveted award On March 25. He has been traveling abroad for the last couple of months, first lobbying for the nomination in the Foreign Films category and then trying to ensure that the film bags the award. He has approached every person he knows overseas to promote his film. There are official lobbyists who have been in touch with members of the Oscars jury.

Bhatt's strong remarks evidently are directed at Aamir, who has said in the past that he has scant respect for most awards as they are rigged. Even though 'Lagaan' has been named for many awards in the last few months, Aamir has not been present to receive any of these.

Bhatt's strong views are likely to spark off a lively debate on the issue and rekindle the controversy. Many eminent filmmakers seem to be on his side. They feel that going by the past treatment meted out to Indian entries, one should not be very optimistic about 'Lagaan's chances.

I always used to wonder why Aamir who shuns every Indian Movie Award (bec'se of favouritism I think) agreed to lobby for Lagaan.😕

Edited by SolidSnake - 17 years ago
TheRowdiest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: bhilwara

KANK! 😆 😆 😆 -I just read somewhere that Kank is a Kalank!  

😆 wah wah kya baat kahi hai. True

IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Why the hell we should bother about Oscars?
Oscars are very biased,the parameters which they consider for awarding the films are not suitable for South Asian films.
According to me:
Rang De Basanthi:Very good film but the ending is quite disturbing,very impractical.
KanK:As you all said its kalank
Fanaa:Good film
15 park avenue:very intersting film.I liked it very much.

cheers,
Mythili

I got an sms and i wish to share with all of u:
"I suggested you to Karan Johar's next film and its title is Akal ho Na Ho"
Edited by mythili_Kiran - 17 years ago
Pradarshak thumbnail

Originally posted by: mythili_Kiran

Why the hell we should bother about Oscars?
Oscars are very biased,the parameters which they consider for awarding the films are not suitable for South Asian films. 

Yes you are very right in your second sentence, our genre of movies are very different from those of the foreign movies. It's made based on Indian viewers taste, which might not always interest a non-Indian.

Whatever they say, every producer-director would run for showing his film in the film festivals when get a chance. I never heard anyone declined that chance. However proud we are of our films, we all know ke ghar ke bacchey har ghar mein hi acchey hotey hain. When it comes to an international level, ghar se nikal ke one has to compete with others. May be unfortunately but the fact is it's the oscars, which gives the recognition and the prestige in front of the whole world. It's sad that it's taking so long to impress the panel of judges with all our beautiful creations.

Even though Bruce lee, Jackie Chan, Ziyi Zhang, Akira Kurosawa are from the same continent as ours, but it took the Hollywood or Oscar nomination/win nod to make them famous to us. Which artist/director does not want to be world famous or get the world recognition?

Pradarshak thumbnail

Originally posted by: SolidSnake

Though I am not a Mahesh Bhatt fan but I liked what he said about Oscars in an old article...

http://ww.smashits.com/video/zoomin/30/lagaan-s-oscar-run-ma hesh-bhatt-comments.html

On the eve of the Oscar awards, with a lot of hype built up around Aamir Khan's 'Lagaan', noted filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt has come out very strongly against the importance being given to such awards. He has said that "the manner in which people wag their tails in front of foreign academies and get swayed by them is pathetic and unacceptable."

In a video interview to Smashits.com, Bhatt has said that "there are one billion people in this country and they are a better judge of an Indian film than those who sit on foreign soil and pass judgment. The yardsticks are completely different. I think the box-office rating given by the rickshaw-puller in this country who watches the film and determines whether it is worth watching or not is far more important for any filmmaker. When you make a film, you have to keep in mind the interests of the billion people you are catering to here. The idea is not to make crossover films, which a majority in this country may or may not like. If you want to cater to the international audience, go raise your money there!"

It is well known that Aamir Khan has left no stone unturned to ensure that 'Lagaan' bags the coveted award On March 25. He has been traveling abroad for the last couple of months, first lobbying for the nomination in the Foreign Films category and then trying to ensure that the film bags the award. He has approached every person he knows overseas to promote his film. There are official lobbyists who have been in touch with members of the Oscars jury.

Bhatt's strong remarks evidently are directed at Aamir, who has said in the past that he has scant respect for most awards as they are rigged. Even though 'Lagaan' has been named for many awards in the last few months, Aamir has not been present to receive any of these.

Bhatt's strong views are likely to spark off a lively debate on the issue and rekindle the controversy. Many eminent filmmakers seem to be on his side. They feel that going by the past treatment meted out to Indian entries, one should not be very optimistic about 'Lagaan's chances.

I always used to wonder why Aamir who shuns every Indian Movie Award (bec'se of favouritism I think) agreed to lobby for Lagaan.😕

That's because before "Raja Hindustani" in 1996 he never got a Filmfare Award(now we have many awards but before it was only filmfare awards) , which he deserved long back.

The following years he got the nominations, but won none.

1988 - QSQT(Lost to Anil Kapoor "Teezab", if you look back I think Raj played by AK is more remarkable than Munna of Teezab, in my opinion)

1990- Dil(Lost to Sunny"Ghayal", while his co-star Madhuri got it for "Dil")

1991- Dil hain ki manta nahin(Lost to Big B "Hum", we still remember "Raghu", don't remember Big B's character's name)

1992- Jo jeeta wohi Sikandar( Lost to Anil Kapoor"Beta", it's debatable)

1993- Hum hain rahi pyar ke(Lost to SRK"Bazigar", SRK was indeed good. But Aamir's co-star Juhi in HHRPK got best actress. I think for any talented hero this is an insult when a female co-star gets  the credit and he gets none. Happened twice. Did ever happen with SRK? I think at this point 92-93 he decided to stop attending the awards show)

1995 - Rangeela(SRK for "DDLJ", again debatable, Raj or Munna)

How long did it take SRK to win a Filmfare, just 1 year. For AK it took 8 long years. Do you think AK'a acting skill is nothing or less compared SRK's? I think his decision is fully justified.

Edited by Pradarshak - 17 years ago
Krishana Tulsi thumbnail

Originally posted by: bhilwara

KANK! 😆 😆 😆 -I just read somewhere that Kank is a Kalank!

Definatly agree with u...it is a big disapointment and its about time Karan Johar stops flying in the air too high!!!!...

In my opinion Rang de Basanti was the only one to come even close in going to the Oscars for a nomination...Fanna was gud but not that gud!!!...Omkara - havent seen ...n i dont want to but its a copy of Shakespeare...not quite sure if we can copy movies that well ...just yet!...but i would hav to see the movie before saying that!...Krrish - dont see wat the fuss was about ...its a BIG dissapointment and just...ewww....it was not gud at all...mayb for kids but otherwise a complete waste...Lage Raho Munna Bhai...havent seen ...umm well in my opinion ...umm will state after seening it!😳...

mkzara thumbnail
I would go with Rang de Basanti because it discussed something that is a problem and it was discussing something real and important rather than some stupid lovey-dovey story.
bollywood_queen thumbnail
mujhe LRMB bahut pasand aaya 😊 ... i loved the teachings of Gandhiji in it.... so i would choose that

although i feel that RDB is equally deserving

i'm generally not too keen on the oscars though... we have so many more prestigious awards in india... y r we so bothered about getting recognition from people who dont even know about our culture and language?

well i'd still be happy if they won tho 😊

just hope there's no associated controversy this time 😕
anjali.nair thumbnail
I would go with 15 Park Avenue. A fine performance by Konkana.
insouciance thumbnail
Quoting Rahul Bose "And talking about our films making it to the oscars,let me tell you that the oscars are a small West Coast American Awards Ceremony-they recognize only English films.And when any other language film including Hindi,enters the event,it qualifies for a foreign language category.Its the colonialism of Hollywood and sheer arrogance.And when a mediocre film like Mystic River wins an award,why would we even want to enter a competition between mediocre films"