TOI: Probable reasons why Yudh may be a disappointment

Minionite thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
Amitabh Bachchan's debut into fiction through Yudh on Sony Television Entertainment was an awaited event of the small screen. Undoubtedly, Big B's performance on the show is outstanding and flawless as usual. However, the show which was launched with much hyped pomp and funfair is not living up to its expectations. The show in spite of having everything which is needed is somewhere failing to impress the audience. If we look at the TVTs of the show, they are not at all impressive. Here we pen down a few probable reasons why Big B's TV fictional debut has come as a disappointment to the audience.

Too many characters- Yudh is a psychological thriller series which is directed by Ribhu Dasgupta. Sarika, Zakir Hussain, Mona Wasu, Nawazuddin Siddiqui and Kay Kay Menon also star in the 20-episode mini-series. However, the creatives of the show might have somewhere failed to give justice to each and every character and define it in a proper way as the major focus is on Amitabh Bachchan's character Yudh. The cast of the show is also confusing, for example Amitabh Bachchan's family in the show has a lot of baffled relationships which challenges a viewer's memory to keep a track on all the characters. In spite of having many other known personalities from the entertainment industry, they are hardly seen in the episodes.

Anurag Kashyap's touch to the show is clearly visible. Anurag Kashyap is one of the creative directors and audiences found it dark. The show doesn't look like a daily but looks more like a film which might be the reason why TV audience didn't give a good response to it. Viewers on the small screen are used to see the long running rona dhona shows and light hearted comedies so this dark and complicated show came as a challenge for them to acknowledge.

Time slot- In spite of providing a prime time slot which was ruled by Balaji Telefilm's show Bade Achhe Lagte Hain, the channel has failed to cash in on the TRPs. May be because the audience is used to seeing light hearted family drama in that particular slot and not a hard hitting story like Yudh. Similarly, there are many other light hearted family dramas aired on other channels which might be keeping one Amitabh Bachchan fan away from the show. As we known TV is said to be dominated by saas bahu dramas and their kitchen politics.

Slow moving storyline with a fast pace- Apart from being dark and complicated, the show which is made as a film has a very fast pace. In the sense if a viewers misses a scene of the show, he won't be able to link it with the rest of the episode. But when it comes to the story of the show, it is slow and does not move to any conclusion. It seems like the creative wants to convey more detailing of the show in a short period of span. With the fact that the series is the most expensive series on the small screen, it is not getting any positive response when it comes to ratings.

It might be too early to say that Yudh being a thriller series is not gripping which a thriller series is expected to be. If compared to Anil Kapoor's 24 which was again a thriller, Yudh is less gripping. Each episode does not allow a viewer to watch the show again the next day. The only factor which drives the audience to the show is Amitabh Bachchan and the cast's efforts. May be the audience is used to see a finite series same as they enjoyed Anil Kapoor's 24 which was crisp.

The show leaves a lot many things for the viewers to assume- Being a 20 episode finite series and with the fact that the makers want to give out more details in less time, many of them are left up to the audience to assume and link it to the series on their own. Even though Yudh has started with a not so good opening, you never know what is in store for the audience in the coming episodes. So just wait and watch!

Edited by KhotaSikaShreya - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ghalibmirza thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
tfs! the show is a thriller and it will not enter the brains of majority trp janta because their brains can only grasp ott drama of the sbs type! simple as that!
ghalibmirza thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
the trp janta will only accept Amitji in alok nath type roles where he is the head of the family and sbs happens within the family and it stretches like a chewing gum forever!
VIMAL.SM thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
This why no one take risk to do something new on TV. Yudh is awesome show .I am liking it .Indian TV audience taste does not change the love the normal saas-bahu saga.

I feel we should eradicate TRP system.TRP does not give the actual figure.
-Mahima- thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
yudh is an amazing show.
beautiful and completely diff from those normal boring shows.

Minionite thumbnail

Originally posted by: mandyg

the trp janta will only accept Amitji in alok nath type roles where he is the head of the family and sbs happens within the family and it stretches like a chewing gum forever!

I don't care what the TRP janta wants. I love the show as it is. Yes I was confused in the first episode but that's what made me want to continue. Because I wanted to know what was happening!
Minionite thumbnail

Originally posted by: VIMAL.M

This why no one take risk to do something new on TV. Yudh is awesome show .I am liking it .Indian TV audience taste does not change the love the normal saas-bahu saga.

I feel we should eradicate TRP system.TRP does not give the actual figure.

Sadly the TRP janta will have to change their tastes soon. Nowadays more and more different concepts are coming on TV now like Yudh, Laut Aao Trisha, Ek Nayi Pehchan, Main Naa Bhoolungi, Ek Hasina Thi, and so on.
munni_rajatfan thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
thts why sbs shows rule the TV. a stupid male lead , in the name of women liberalization rules the charts. but when shows like yudh, 24, ek hasina thi comes people dont have the mentality to watch them. why cant audience themselves bring the reqd change???
Yajnaseni thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
I kind of watch Yudh everyday. I hv missed till episodes till now but was able to catch up with a little effort. Acting of the crew is brilliant. But I think Yudh did its worst episode on the very first day. Amitabh Bachan's voice was too low to be heard some of the times.
They showed everything of everything. Not everyone understands economics and politic to its core. So it got people confused.
There is something in the show may be the too much complexity that makes the show likable but not something you can bee lost in.

Comparing the show with 24 and Ek Hasina Thi, 24 was somewhat fast paced yet understandable to every audience. Both the shows are based on not-so-complex emotions like desire for revenge for a murder or things like like that. The shows are both light hearted. Yudh has everything but lacks a certain comical and excitement factor. It kind of repels people away. This is my belief and may not be the truth.
Edited by Yajnaseni - 10 years ago
Minionite thumbnail

Originally posted by: Yajnaseni

I kind of watch Yudh everyday. I hv missed till episodes till now but was able to catch up with a little effort. Acting of the crew is brilliant. But I think Yudh did its worst episode on the very first day. Amitabh Bachan's voice was too low to be heard some of the times.

They showed everything of everything. Not everyone understands economics and politic to its core. So it got people confused.
There is something in the show may be the too much complexity that makes the show likable but not something you can bee lost in.

I think that's what caused the reason for Yudh's supposed fail. The first episode was truly confusing with a bit of everything and many viewers base their assessment on the first episode. Very few are like us who continue even after being confused.