Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sukanya_Datta thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
Vana Parva - Arjun's Quest for Weapons - Part II

Arjun took off his armour and lay down his weapons. He took bath in the river nearby and then sat down for his meditation.

During the first month Arjun used to eat one fruit every third day, in the second month, one fruit every six days, and in the third month, once a fortnight. In the fourth month, Arjun survived on the air only, standing on the tips of his toes with folded arms raised above his head. He bathed three times a day and kept his mind and senses under perfect control. Because of his intense meditations, Arjun began to glow like the Sun.

As the days went by, the warmth spread to the surrounding and very soon it became intense heat. But this caused the celestial rishis to worry a lot. They went to Shiva and said, "O Lord, Arjun is performing intense prayers in your name. His whole body is glowing effluent and the surrounding has become cloudy and murky. The earth is becoming heated and emitting smoke. O Mahadev, please stop him before he upsets the balance of the universe."

Shiva assured the sages and said, "You need not worry about Phalguni. He does not desire eternal life or glory or the place of Indra. I know his purpose and I shall go today and satisfy him." The sages bowed to Shiva and returned to their abode in the heavens. Shiva then assumed the form of a forest dweller and a hunter and went to the place where Arjun was meditating. Parvati, Shiva's wife and consort accompanied him as did many of Shiva's followers.

Just as Lord Shiva and his party reached their destination, Shiva saw a danav assume a form of a large boar and charge at Arjun. The boar shrieked loudly with an intent to kill Arjun. Arjun saw the boar and picked his bow and arrows. He said aloud, "O vile creature, I have done you no harm. Yet you are trying to kill me. I shall now send you to Yama's abode." Shiva on the other side said, "Stop. I saw this boar first. He is my game. I reserve the right to kill him."

Arjun ignored the hunter and shot his arrow. Lord Shiva also let off his arrow. Both the arrows struck the boar at the same time. In quick succession both of them shot more arrows at the boar. With a terrible cry the danav gave up his life and assumed his natural form. Arjun looked around at the hunter. His body shone like a golden mountain. He was surrounded by hundreds of women. Arjun glared at him. "Who are you, dressed like a hunter and wandering in this solitary forest surrounded by your followers? Are you not afraid? Why have you pierced this boar which I targeted first? Do you not know that this is against all accepted practices in hunting. Indeed you have insulted me and so I will punish you by taking your life."

The hunter replied with a smile, "O hero, you need not be concerned about me. I always dwell in the forest. But what brings you here? You are obviously royalty, used to living in luxury. How is it that you have adopted an ascetic life?"

Arjun held his bow tightly. "Depending on the strength of my arms, I live in this forest. See how I killed this fearful Rakshasa who was intent on killing me."

The hunter laughed derisively. "It was I who killed this one, not you. I saw him first, and it was by my arrow that he was sent to Yama's abode. You are overly proud of your strength. Do not accuse others when you yourself are at fault. O wicked-minded wretch, you have wronged me and will therefore not escape with your life. Stand and receive my arrows. Try to defend yourself, if you can."

This further infuriated Arjun. He started shooting arrows at the hunter. But the hunter received all the shafts and they bounced off him while he did not even flinch. Arjun increased the pace of the attack but the hunter was unmoved. Seeing this Arjun could not but help cry out in admiration, "Bravo! Bravo!" He looked at the hunter closely. Surely this was no ordinary mortal. Perhaps he was a celestial. Perhaps he was Shiva himself as he was sure none other could match him prowess. He decided to use the celestial weapons at his disposal.

Arjun then invoked weapons which fired thousands of arrows blazing like the sun. Shiva cheerfully received all his shafts as a mountain receives a downpour of rain. Then to Arjun's amazement he found that his celestial quivers were suddenly exhausted. How was that possible? Who was this who swallowed up all his arrows? With what could he fight now? Arjun raised his great bow like a club and rushed at the hunter. He struck him a number of heavy blows, but Shiva snatched away his bow and drew it into his body. It simply vanished. Arjun then drew his sword and brought it down upon the hunter's head with all his strength, but it shattered to pieces.

Arjun started hurling trees and large boulders at the hunter. But the hunter absorbed all these. Then Arjun started to fight with his fists but the hunter returned the blows that caused Arjun to swoon. They wrestled with each other until the hunter caught Arjun is a powerful bear-hug and due to that Arjun fell down unconscious like a lump. Arjun's whole body was full of wounds and embellished with his own blood. When Arjun came around, he was in despair. He then quickly made a small Shiva-ling, started worshipping Mahadev and placed a garland across the linga. And to Arjun's amazement, the garland flew in the air and adorned the head of the hunter.

Arjun at last recognized who the hunter was. He was Lord Shiva. Arjun felt overjoyed as well as ashamed. He fell down to the hunter's feet and begged his forgiveness. Arjun felt his fatigue go away and his wounds healed. The hunter said, "Rise, O hero. I am please with your gallantry. There is no kshatriya equal to you. You have proved today that you are my equal to me in power and valour. I grant you divine vision and you will conquer all your enemies even if they happen to be the devas themselves."

Then Arjun beheld Mahadev and Mahadevi (Parvati) in their divine form. Arjun bowed to them again and said, "O Devaadhidev (God of all Gods), I came to this mountain inhabited by celestials with the desire to behold you. But O Shankar, I fought you out of ignorance and pride. Please forgive me for this audacity." Shiva smiled to him and the omnipotent God took his hand and said, "O Phalguni, you are already forgiven." Shiva embraced Arjun and comforted him saying, "O great warrior, in your previous birth you were the universal man, Nara and along with Malayan (Vishnu) upheld the entire universe. Here is your Gandiva and your inexhaustible pair of quivers back as they were. Now ask me any boon and end this penance of yours as it is disturbing the earth a lot."

Arjun said to Shiva, "O Lord of Lords, if you are pleased with me, please give me the supreme destructive weapon, the Pashupata, also known as the Brahmashira. With this weapon I will go into the war and inflict defeat on Karna, Bhishm, Drona and Kripa. Give me the this weapon which when fired, will produce thousands of spears, innumerable arrows, menacing maces, each as venomous as the most poisonous snake." The Lord said, "O Pandava, I am giving you my dearest weapon, the Pashupata. I give you the knowledge on how to hold it, wield it and retrieve it. Let alone humans, even the Gods like Indra, Yama, Kuber, Varun, Pavan, etc. are unfamiliar with it. But I wish you to exercise caution. Do not use this weapon on whim or impulse. If this weapon is used on anyone with inferior strength, it will destroy the entire universe."

With this Shiva gave Arjun the deadly weapon with the knowledge of its application and retrieval. The weapon submitted itself to the will of Arjun just as it did to Shiva. As soon as Arjun received possession of the weapon, the earth along with the mountains, forests, trees, oceans and rivers, cities and villages trembled. The sky and the wind vibrated with the sounds of thousands of conch-shells, drums and trumpets. All the celestials gathered in the sky to witness the historic event. Then the Lord left with Parvati and his party. Arjun thought with delight that he had as good as defeated his enemies. (see pics)

-----

Soon after the Lord left, Varun, the Gods of water, oceans and seas appeared before him holding his pasha (noose) accompanied by the Gods of the rivers, Daityas and sadhyas. Following him came Kuber on a radiant sky-chariot, his complexion as radiant as the waters of the Jambu river. All the yakshas accompanied him. In another viman (airplane) came Yama, the son of Surya, the God of Death and the upkeeper of Dharma, beholding his Danda. He was accompanied by ancestral spirits in human form. Immediately later came Indra, the king of Gods, riding on his white elephant Airavat and holding his thunderbolt. Indra was accompanied by his wife Indraani (Sachi devi). Many Gods accompanied Indra. They all assembled in all four direction corners surrounding Arjun. The sight was wonderful to behold.

And then, Yama, the God of Dharma, who was stationed South, said in a booming voice, "Behold O Arjun, great warrior. Look at us. We are the Lokpals of the world. Each of us rules the quarter of the universe. We have come here powered by your penances. In your previous birth you were Nara, the great soul. You have be ordained to be born as a man with the purpose of removing from the earth the evil kshatriyas. You will triumph in war over the righteous and gallant Bhishm, a Vasu, to inflict defeat on the kshatriyas protected by son of Bharadwaj, Drona and to kill the mighty danavas including Nivatkavachas born as men. And then you will also fight and kill the valiant Karna, who is born to my father Surya."

Then Yama said, "O Mightiest amongst the mighty, now take my irrepressible weapon, the Danda."

Varun came forward and said, "I am giving my Varunpasha to you, the inescapable noose. I used this against the battle with Tarakasur. While the mighty son of Shiva, Kartikeya, was engaged with Tarakasur, I used this noose to enchain and kill thousands of danavas in Taraka's army. If you desire, even Yama shall not escape the clutches of this noose."

Kuber, the resident of Mount Kailas, came forward and said, "Take this powerful antardhahana, the all effacing destroyer of the enemies. With this I burned powerful asuras while Shiva was engaged in killing Tripura. With this one single weapon, you shall be able to burn the entire army of Duryodhan."

And one by one, all Gods came forward and gave their favourite weapons to Arjun with the knowledge of their application and retrieval.

Then Indra said, "O mighty son of Kunti, you have now attained divinity. You must now accompany me to swarga (Indralok, heaven), the abode of the devas. There you will spend some time with me and you will perform certain duties for the devas. So be ready. Matali, my charioteer will soon arrive to bring you there."

Then Dhananjay, still awestruck on seeing all the lokpals, worshipped them devotedly and offered them fruits and water. The lokpals took leave of Arjun and went back to their respective worlds.

Source : Click here...
Sukanya_Datta thumbnail
Embedded image permalink

Word Count: 0

Sukanya_Datta thumbnail
On Star Plus, Diya Aur Baati Hum' returned to the top in the UK ratings with 192,400 viewers - peaking at 253,800 viewers. It was followed by Mahabharat' with 180,700 viewers and Pyar Ka Dard Hai' 156,500 viewers.
Mahabharat was the second top-show... 🥳

http://www.media247.co.uk/bizasia/overnights-khatron-ke-khiladi-passes-100k-mark
Edited by Sukanya_Datta - 10 years ago
RosChel.Lobster thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: devashree_h

So True Rushi, I saw the most pain in Arjun's eyes for Panchali.😭 His helplessness, his pain was so shown so brilliantly by those beautiful eyes.

devu all actors did a fab job all acted really well...but Shaheer didn't act...his emotions looked soo real I felt it...n those eyes damnnn they were so painful n tears didn't stop rolling from them even for a sec...it was so depressing to c the best warrior so helpless when his wife needed him the most 😭

Loved the way they showed Draupadi's red eyes n she asking for his help n Arjun had no audacity to even look at her 😭
During the first month Arjun used to eat one fruit every third day, in the second month, one fruit every six days, and in the third month, once a fortnight. In the fourth month, Arjun survived on the air only, standing on the tips of his toes with folded arms raised above his head. He bathed three times a day and kept his mind and senses under perfect control. Because of his intense meditations, Arjun began to glow like the Sun.

As the days went by, the warmth spread to the surrounding and very soon it became intense heat. But this caused the celestial rishis to worry a lot. They went to Shiva and said, "O Lord, Arjun is performing intense prayers in your name. His whole body is glowing effluent and the surrounding has become cloudy and murky. The earth is becoming heated and emitting smoke. O Mahadev, please stop him before he upsets the balance of the universe. [/QUOTE] @bold heperformed such penances 😲 I respect Arjun alottt more now 😃

@red wow he performed such penances that he could have created an imbalance in universe 😲 what a sight it would b

thnks suku for posting these articles 😃
Sukanya_Datta thumbnail

Originally posted by: Rushika

thnks suku for posting these articles 😃

You are welcome, Rush.. 😃
And if anyone is interested, then I will post another article in the evening. 😛
Regina_Lupa thumbnail

Originally posted by: Rushika

OMG!!!!!!!! 😲 😲 😲 😲 😲

thanks suki for the article!!

Word Count: 0

Arijit007 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
suki thank you for the article, arjun ki tapasya bhi uski hi tarah adbhut thi.
@suku of course evry1 r interested to read about Arjun...do post it in evening 😊
@all I have a doubt in the 1st article he didn't recognise indra who met him on mountains..but how come he didn't recognise Indra when he fought him after Khandav dahan 😕
srishtisingh thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
r u guys on fb? if yes go visit starplus factually incorrect mahabharat.another gr8 article abt arjun urvashi encounter is given.