Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 10 years ago
@Devashree:You can still read this book as per this article and others that i have read about this book seem to suggest good scenes between Arjuna and Drau as well so as their fan probably you can read those scenes and skip imaginary Karna and Drau scenes
bhas1066 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Just a suggestion- u can try the Karna's Wife - The Outcast Queen by Kavita Kane. The central character Uruvi is totally a fictional one but its a book Karna lovers will love.

THE FIRST TALK ...when Karna meets his bride (excerpt from the novel :

"
Why did you marry me?' Karna asked quietly, without preamble.
Famous first words, Uruvi thought wryly, and definitely not the
most romantic either. She looked at him, her eyes gazing straight into his, undaunted and calm. I married you because I have loved you since the day I first saw you,' she replied with equanimity.
"I invited you because you were the only one I wanted to marry. Had you not turned up, the swayamwara would have been called off and I wouldn't have married anyone else.' The finality of Uruvi's words shocked him. Karna could not help being moved by her determination and love for him.
Watching the small, slight figure in front of him, he felt his
rage subside. She was like a fountain of water, reviving him with the water of life and love. He felt a strange emotion, a surge of protective affection for this woman who had fought so desperately to get him. She had him, yes, she did, Karna thought with a sense of fond pride. He felt the first glow of her love and basked in it. He didn't want to ever see her hurt. He recalled the pain in her eyes when she had been insulted by the angry suitors at her own swayamwara. Anger flamed in his heart but a larger guilt tore him. It was because of him that she had to hear those terrible words. His conscience, always sensitive, was troubled. A pang seized him when he realized that their future would be an uneasy one; he would be responsible for many more bitter blows to her pride. He had experienced this humiliation himself and knew he still would but from now on he would be dragging her along with him... "
Medha.S thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: bhas1066

Just a suggestion- u can try the Karna's Wife - The Outcast Queen by Kavita Kane. The central character Uruvi is totally a fictional one but its a book Karna lovers will love.

THE FIRST TALK ...when Karna meets his bride (excerpt from the novel :

"
Why did you marry me?' Karna asked quietly, without preamble.
Famous first words, Uruvi thought wryly, and definitely not the
most romantic either. She looked at him, her eyes gazing straight into his, undaunted and calm. I married you because I have loved you since the day I first saw you,' she replied with equanimity.
"I invited you because you were the only one I wanted to marry. Had you not turned up, the swayamwara would have been called off and I wouldn't have married anyone else.' The finality of Uruvi's words shocked him. Karna could not help being moved by her determination and love for him.
Watching the small, slight figure in front of him, he felt his
rage subside. She was like a fountain of water, reviving him with the water of life and love. He felt a strange emotion, a surge of protective affection for this woman who had fought so desperately to get him. She had him, yes, she did, Karna thought with a sense of fond pride. He felt the first glow of her love and basked in it. He didn't want to ever see her hurt. He recalled the pain in her eyes when she had been insulted by the angry suitors at her own swayamwara. Anger flamed in his heart but a larger guilt tore him. It was because of him that she had to hear those terrible words. His conscience, always sensitive, was troubled. A pang seized him when he realized that their future would be an uneasy one; he would be responsible for many more bitter blows to her pride. He had experienced this humiliation himself and knew he still would but from now on he would be dragging her along with him... "

This reminded me of another Swayamvara😆
Medha.S thumbnail
Is anyone interested in the INDO MB?
There, draupadi is Yudhishtiras wife and Shikhandinin married Arjuna.😆
Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
@Medha :Yes very intrested😆
this is the same one in which Gandhari is in love with pandu and tries to kill kunti right.Please tell me can i read it online
Vr15h thumbnail
IPL 2024 Participants 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Medha.S

Is anyone interested in the INDO MB?

There, draupadi is Yudhishtiras wife and Shikhandinin married Arjuna.😆

This looks interesting. There, was Draupadi elder to Shikhandini? It would be odd of elder sister marrying younger brother.
bhas1066 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
its not available online, but the variations are listed here in this article:

http://www.boloji.com/index.cfm?md=Content&sd=Articles&ArticleID=1751
Medha.S thumbnail

Originally posted by: devashree_h

Thanks a lot. I actually read a whole article against it. Now, I think they got confused between 'Yajnaseni' and 'POI'. Because, while reading it felt like they were talking about 'Palace of Illusions' but that article was explicitly for Yajnaseni.

http://www.dailypioneer.com/state-editions/bhubaneswar/shocking-pratibha-rays-yajnaseni-has-dishonoured-draupadi.html

You can kill me if you want but if you are reading Yajnaseni and POI, you might as well read " Draupadi In High Heels".😆

Anyways, the biggest difference between POI and Yajnaseni is that Yajnaseni Draupadi is depicted as a Doormat, slavish kind of woman while in POI she is a strong woman with a mind of her own.

Literature wise, Yajnaseni is written in a much better way, if you are a fan of over dramatized English.

Also, in Yajnaseni, Arjuna is a complete heartless B*****d while Lord Krishna makes a lot of sexual jokes. Come on, dont you want to read that.😆

warning: SPOILERS

Draupadi clasps at Arjunas feat after the pandavas escape death:

"Arjun quickly removed his feet, As a wife, all [the Pandava brothers] are your husbands. You ought to behave in the same manner with all... If we countenance injustice then the defeat of the Pandavas is inevitable. Draupadi, remove this mountainous burden of unjust love from me. That is all' I thought my grief would provide Arjun with some encouragement. But lecturing me regarding justice, law, rules, he again turned me into an untouchable. My tears keep flowing, washing away the guilt and sin of loving my husband."

See, heartless.😆

Karna to Draupadi:

"Mocking, Karna said, Lady! I acknowledge that your husband [Arjuna] is brave. But I fail to understand what sort of man he is. If I were in Arjun's place and Ma [Queen Kunti] had ordered that the woman I had won in the svayamvar [contest to win a bride] was to be shared by other brothers, I would have left that kingdom...I do not consider blindly obeying improper directives as the sign of manhood. This is the only difference between Arjun and myself."

He is the best character in the book, not Draupadi. Compared to Karna, Draupadi is bland.
I mean, yes. She expresses her disgust for the things that are happening to her now and then. She is ever suspicious of Yudhishtira and vehemently hated that she is being distributed among five brothers who will enjoy her, obviously.

Karna is the hero and Draupadi is the heroine. Karna brings her a blue rose while the Pandavas dont even know that blue roses are her favorite.

Karna saves her life when she is drowning while Arjuna is away on exile.

Her first love was Krishna, then Arjuna and she was equally attracted to Karna.

At one point she doubts if she wants Krishna or Arjuna.

While also laments the fact that Karna would have been the best husband for her had Dhrishdhyumna not interfered. Also, she cherishes all the physical contact between them.

Ray Mam materialized so many meetings between Karna and Draupadi.

Kunti asks Draupadi to cook food for Karna when he is visiting Indrapratha and she does, she takes the food to his room, waits outside the door, Karna refuses to eat food made by her since she is a w***e. Draupadi is deeply ashamed but tolerates it all while in her mind, she blames her Husbands.

I am sure it is supposed to make us sympathise with Draupadi, love her and respect her for her plights, but the author overdid it in her attempt to draw the most tragic picture of Draupadis life.This Draupadi has no respect for herself.

Draupadi as a helpless woman who stands quietly, cursing her luck, lamenting her decisions is actually annoying. Personally, i find this novel the best example of internalized misogyny.

POI:

Now, this Draupadi, in her intelligence and wisdom is on Par with Vyas.She has a lot of inside information like how Balram became Duryodhans friend because he sent Balram a ton amount of Alcohol .She seems to know everything that is going on in the brains of the character.

Karna feels obligated to Duryodhana.

Karna and Draupadi are secretly in love.

POI is a forbidden love story of these two. I, once read a review of POI and it described the Love story as the forbidden love between Jack and Rose in Titanic because of how it ends.

In POI, Kunti tries to make Karna join the Pandavas, and she is the one who offers Draupadi to Karna and Karna is a little swayed.

And this Draupadi swears that something happened after the death of Karna, that Ved Vyas did not tell us :-

"It grew into a great radiance around me. A feeling emanated from it that I have no words for. It wasn't sorrow or rage. Perhaps, freed of its mortal bondage, Karna's spirit knew what I hadn't ever been able to tell him."

A glow travels from his dead body to draupadi and surrounds her who is crying.

The book actually ends with Draupadi reaching heaven and reuniting with her true Love, Karna.

Quite similar to Titanic ending, where Rose reaches heaven and reunites with Jack in the beautiful ball room while people of all status look on, even those of the higher status who used to insult Jack.

Draupadi says, "Karna is no longer the forbidden one. I can take his arm in view of everyone. If I wish I can embrace him with all of myself."

while Yajnaseni is sad and dark, POI had a beautiful happy ending.

It was almost like reading OS and Fanfictions, just more elaborate ones with these books.

devashree_h thumbnail
Exactly why I was disappointed Medha. I wanted to read something from Draupadi's perspective. I thgouht Yajnaseni is a book from that perspective. But I dont want something in Alternate Universe😆, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for elaborating with examples.😉
Medha.S thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

This looks interesting. There, was Draupadi elder to Shikhandini? It would be odd of elder sister marrying younger brother.

Oh yes i was wondering about it! Shikhandni tricked Arjuna into marrying him i think. She was a very good archer and she used to learn from Arjuna. She saw him during his marriage to Subhadra and after that she was hellbent on becoming his wife.She somehow had him become his teacher. Then after the completion of her education, she told him that she would marry him if he would find a woman who could defeat her in Archery.

Draupadis swayamvar ( which was actually an archery comp. between Kauravas and Pandavas😆) was won by Yudhishtira.

But Draupadi was the younger one out of the sisters.