Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AnjanaYYZ thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 10 years ago
Yagaseni top of my read list - hear there is a scene in it where Karna saves D in the forrest! Vrushali is a dasi. If one can add then...
===
I braved half of Peter Brook's version last night. All should see it - very liberal interpretation. Draupadi & Yudi give Bheem to Hdimba during their exile and Arjuna triggers the whole "thumb" thing. Parashuram is late entry in Karna's life to counter Arjuna's search for other worldly weapons during exile.
Edited by AnjanaYYZ - 10 years ago
devashree_h thumbnail
I just read a long rant against Yajnaseni. Seems like its another 'Palace of Illusions' where Draupadi has a thing for Karna.
AishwaryaRathod thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: devashree_h

I just read a long rant against Yajnaseni. Seems like its another 'Palace of Illusions' where Draupadi has a thing for Karna.

I am reading Yagyaseni and have reached halfway and so far I do not see much of ANY resemblance between it and palace of illusions...in the Yagyaseni i am reading, D longs for A and vice versa.

PoI was IMHO a story of what the author wanted to happen because I feel she nurses a soft spot for Karan and was upset that Parth got all the attention
Edited by gossipgirl21 - 10 years ago
AishwaryaRathod thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: AnjanaYYZ

Yagaseni top of my read list - hear there is a scene in it where Karna saves D in the forrest! Vrushali is a dasi. If one can add then...

The scene in Yagyaseni where Karan saves Draupadi shows Karan holding a grudge and shows him to be quite contemptuous of Draupadi and her decision. The Yagyaseni i am reading has Karan mock Draupadi every single chance he gets.
Edited by gossipgirl21 - 10 years ago
Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: ...Diala...

Thanks for the thread DT... I wish to know what is there in Jaya..

Jaya is a book which is written by Devdutt patnaik about Mahabharat its quite a good book.It doenst not only tell incidents that are there in ved vyas's MB but also what it says about the same incident in diferent folk lores and dance dramas.I quite like that book i suggest after reading ved vyas's translation you should read this book first and then books like mrityunjay,ajaya or POI which is from different characters perspective As far as i remember there isnt any major deviation between jaya and ved vyas's translated version.Its quite close only major deviation i remember is towards the end.In Ved vya's translated version the whole incident of pandavas going to hell is just yudi's illusion but in jaya it was a reality.That is the only major deviation as per me As per Jaya pandavas go to hell becuase of the following reasons
1)Bheem-Glutonny
2)Arjuna-insecurity
3)Nakul-Pride
4)Sahdev-smugness
5)Drau-Becuase she loved arjuna the most and manipulated Bheem
6)Karna-Becuase he wasnt loyal to Dury as he promised not to kill 4 pandavas
Infact Yudi is the actual hero as he is the true Jaya becuase in teh end when he took a dip in the holy water he was truly able to overcome hsi hatred for his cousins and forgive them hence he is the true Jaya
Edited by Sabhayata - 10 years ago
Sabhayata thumbnail

Originally posted by: AnjanaYYZ

Aside from books, I would like to know if anyone here seen the following versions:
1. Peter Brook's Mahabharata

2. Sanjay Khan's Mahabharata

i have seen the second version wasnt very found of it .Mandira Bedi really disappointed me as Draupadi.Presentation was very simple and nothing exciting.I feel after roopa ganguly as Draupadi pooja sharma is the nest best Draupadi in my mind
Regarding Peter brook's please elaborate more on shikhandini's love for Bheeshm?
Sabhayata thumbnail

Originally posted by: LeadNitrate

Also are local interpretation allowed? I woule like to discuss Parva in kannada and panchajanya in bengali very muxh.

Please tell more about these books intresting facts .
devashree_h thumbnail

Originally posted by: gossipgirl21

I am reading Yagyaseni and have reached halfway and so far I do not see much of ANY resemblance between it and palace of illusions...in the Yagyaseni i am reading, D longs for A and vice versa.

PoI was IMHO a story of what the author wanted to happen because I feel she nurses a soft spot for Karan and was upset that Parth got all the attention

Thanks a lot. I actually read a whole article against it. Now, I think they got confused between 'Yajnaseni' and 'POI'. Because, while reading it felt like they were talking about 'Palace of Illusions' but that article was explicitly for Yajnaseni.

http://www.dailypioneer.com/state-editions/bhubaneswar/shocking-pratibha-rays-yajnaseni-has-dishonoured-draupadi.html
Sabhayata thumbnail

Originally posted by: devashree_h

Thanks a lot. I actually read a whole article against it. Now, I think they got confused between 'Yajnaseni' and 'POI'. Because, while reading it felt like they were talking about 'Palace of Illusions' but that article was explicitly for Yajnaseni.

http://www.dailypioneer.com/state-editions/bhubaneswar/shocking-pratibha-rays-yajnaseni-has-dishonoured-draupadi.html

Thanks for this article specifically mentions yajnesani so no intrest in reading it now.Below is another review that basically confirms what this article is saying.Will now have to cancell the order for Yajnaseni no intrest in reading another palace of illusions
Druapadi first loved krishna then wanted to marry karna but it was her brother who stooped him and then when she was married to arjuna fell in love with him but never got over her longing for karna.Her main issue was that she never got love and respect from her husbands or may not in the way she wanted it.
Edited by Sabhayata - 10 years ago
devashree_h thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sabhayata

Thanks for this article specifically mentions yajnesani so no intrest in reading it now.Below is another review that basically confirms what this article is saying.Will now have to cancell the order for Yajnaseni no intrest in reading another palace of illusions

Druapadi first loved krishna then wanted to marry karna but it was her brother who stooped him and then when she was married to arjuna fell in love with him but never got over her longing for karna.Her main issue was that she never got love and respect from her husbands or may not in the way she wanted it.

Sabhayata, thanks a lot for confirming it. I am very saddened. I was looking forward to reading it.