Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

_vash_ thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

Originally posted by: Medha.S

After reading the reviews on Ajaya, i seriously had thought that the foreign prince who wanted to destroy India was actually Krishna, since i assumed that if Duryodhana can be portrayed as the Kind saintly Suyodhan then why not Shakuni take up Krishnas role and vice versa.

Yeah exactly one can write anything if they want to show their favorite character as the greatest one and the characters they personally hate as the worst human being ever born. 😆

IMO The author here has mostly focused on the weaker characters of Mahabharata and have given them more importance but one cannot change the actual truth. Can they?

Making up stories to portray Kaurava as great hardly changes people's actual perspective but as I have started this book already I will have to read this as some well written fiction and nothing else.
SonaSA thumbnail
Ajaya as a book is very difficult to read for those of us who have always seen the Pandavas as the protagonists and Arjun as the nayak ro Krishna's Mahanayak. It paints Duryodhan as a hero and not the antagonist he actually was.
But hey, its a POV and the author is entitled to it.
As for switching sides and saying Krishna was the schemer and plotter then there are people who say that if one takes out the fact that one knows he is God then he is a brilliant politician and a king maker who did everything he could for the future of a unified India. There has been this POV put across by people who are non believers. But when they are asked how they explain the baal leelas and the miracle during the vastraharan then they really have no response

Disclaimer: I do not support the POV raised above and the views I have posted are those of people who have read the book but are not Hindus and therefore do not see Krishna as the Supreme Personality
Medha.S thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: SonaSA

Ajaya as a book is very difficult to read for those of us who have always seen the Pandavas as the protagonists and Arjun as the nayak ro Krishna's Mahanayak. It paints Duryodhan as a hero and not the antagonist he actually was.

As for switching sides and saying Krishna was the schemer and plotter then there are people who say that if one takes out the fact that one knows he is God then he is a brilliant politician and a king maker who did everything he could for the future of a unified India. There has been this POV put across by people who are non believers. But when they are asked how they explain the baal leelas and the miracle during the vastraharan then they really have no response

Disclaimer: I do not support the POV raised above and the views I have posted are those of people who have read the book but are not Hindus and therefore do not see Krishna as the Supreme Personality

Yes, i understand that.
I have read my fair share of evil Krishna vs saintly Shakuni. 😆
Vr15h thumbnail
IPL 2024 Participants 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Thanks, Medha. I knew there had to be a Priyamvada somewhere 🤣
Vr15h thumbnail
IPL 2024 Participants 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

Only Vaishnavs see Krishna as the supreme personality. Granted, they are 86% of the global Hindu population, but that doesn't make the other 14% non-Hindus.
_vash_ thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Yes i agree @Bold and all have a right to express their view but no matter how many different POVs we read changing ones own perspective is very different. For example if I read this book am sure this author cannot make me like Dhuryodhan neither i will end up disliking my favorite character Bheem for that matter.
Medha.S thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
OH!! I have a great/ dreadful News for all who are getting tired of the Karna-Arjuna bromance in the show.🥳

It is not actually just CVs imagination, they actually did some research.👏🤣

Arjuna actually kneeled touched Karnas feet at some point.😆

Apart from that, whoever is dreading the moment when Karna and Arjuna embrace each other and weep.🤗

Beware, it can come true.

Indo MB mentions how on before Karna joins the war as the Commander-In-Chief, Arjuna goes to meet him and respectfully talks to him, it is hinted that Arjuna somehow came to know about Karna being his brother.

Though they don't actually talk about that. Karna is moved to tears seeing his youngest brother coming to him and showing him respect and affection. He is moved to tears and they hug.

There are talks of changing sides but in the end they decide that their Kshatriya duties and Dharma have to be followd.
They embrace one last time without any words and then Arjuna leaves with Karnas permission.
DrModel thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

Only Vaishnavs see Krishna as the supreme personality. Granted, they are 86% of the global Hindu population, but that doesn't make the other 14% non-Hindus.

I think Sona meant people of DIFFERENT FAITHS from Hinduism e.g. Caucasian or African people from a christian background who are archaeologists or historians or interested in religious studies; before you pounce on her.
Edited by DrModel - 10 years ago
Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: ashwi_d

Anybody here interested in discussing 'Yuganta' by Irawati Karve?

ya what is it about i havent heard of this book so would love to hear about it
Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: _vash_

Right now am literally struck with this book Ajaya: Roll of the Dice (Epic of the Kaurava clan, #1) by Anand Neelakantan I am finding it rather difficult to read it.The perspective of this author is way too different. The way he is portraying Dhuryodhana or in his words Suyodhana as some kind of saint and Bhima as some cruel being who doesn't respect anybody even elders like Vidhura or Dhritarashtra, its really hard from me digest. I am not saying Bhima doesn't have any bad quality or doubt Dhuryodhana having some good quality in him but here the portrayal is way too negative and very much differently done.

Agreed its difficult to read for pandava fans who have grown up with notion that pandavs are the heroes.But i enjoy reading the writers perspective for entertainment purpose.But in no way i consider this as Mahabharat or it wont in any way change my view about pandavas they are heroes and will alway be heroes.Books like Ajaya,palace of illuions or even Mrityunjay i read only for entertainment purpose not for gaining knowledge.My opinion about characters will remain as per ved vyas' translated version
And why only Bheema even yudi is potrayed as an opportunist who manipulated Dury a peron who just pretends to be good but actually is two faced.Even Bhishma is potrayed as some one who killed Gandhari' entire family in war abdcuted her and foreced her to marry Dhrit and was about to kill shakuni a a child but refrained from it.Arjuna is potrayed as some one who is always jealous of karna and actually sabotages his attempt to win Drau's swyambar.So for me this is only entertainment and nothing more