In reality, are Korean men really possessive?

kshows_fangirl thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago
You know, I googled this question up after watching so many dramas where Korean men are portrayed very territorial of their leading female counterparts.
What I found out after researching on this, that majority of the people said YES!! 

So, I am just curious...does anyone here knows any Korean friends or guys or your girlfriends boyfriends who are Korean and have this characteristic of being possessive?

You see personally what I have noticed is that Korean guys who are born in the U.S. are quite the opposite in fact. They are not possessive or jealous. I guess it is b/c they have adopted a bit of westernized culture in them. My best friends are mostly Korean, and their boyfriends are Korean guys who were born in the U.S. They are mostly like part American and part Korean. So, I have hardly seem them being jealous or possessive. 

So, this is an interesting topic for dicussion! If any of you all know any Korean guys, or even have friends who are dating Korean guys, tell me about your observations! I am very curious to know about it!😆

Thoughts?

I found this on a blog btw..:)..I tend to agree!😉😆

1. Korean men tend to be more considerate. My boyfriend would never walk in a door before me, he always offers to carry my heavy bags (shopping, or my purse or backpack or whatever... he's even offered to carry me up stairs or somewhere because my legs or feet hurt or are sore), they take their hat off when they greet someone, they always offer their coat. That kind of thing. I think Korea just has a stronger culture of respect (and also lack of feminine self-reliance) and it makes it more natural for men to do these things, and women to accept them.
  2. Korean men are more romantic in a traditional way. Korean men give a lot more gifts, although they are usually smaller. I've seen men give single roses ALL the time. Also, there are tons of couple holidays and most men oblige and buy some small gifts for their girlfriends. This often has to do with culture, and the social pressure for a man to create "events" for his girlfriend, and to create special memories in special places. My students often ask me what events my boyfriend has done and I'm like, uh, what's an event?
  3. Korean men love their mothers more than your average American men. My brother loves my mom, sure. But it is not uncommon to see a Korean man holding his mother or grandmother or aunts hand or arm everywhere they go together. Korean people are just generally more physically affectionate to their family and friends.
  4. Korean men can be extremely possessive. I've heard horror stories about Korean men who date women and don't let them do anything. Their girlfriends must always be at home ready for their boyfriend's call at any time. Additionally, if a man says no, you can't do that, she can't do it. Example: a friend was dating a Korean guy (she was also Korean) and we made plans to get some piercings (ears) and her boyfriends said he didn't want her to go, so she cancelled last minute.
  5. Korean men like to touch their girlfriends. I don't mean this in a bad or nasty way. I mean, Korean couples are ALWAYS holding hands or snuggling up or something. I've found that Korean men seem to really like touching their girlfriend's hair. I don't know why, buy my boyfriend does it and you see men on the subway do it all the time. It's some sign of affection, like petting a dog or something. I don't know. You also see women with their legs propped up on a boy's lap or her head on his shoulder in the subway and that's not weird at all. A single peck, however, and she's a hussy and he, a playboy.
  6. Korean men are more self-obsessed than American Men. Strictly in the appearance department. The number of men who carry mirrors in their pockets or in apps on their phones is completely astonishing. Men use make-up on occasion, and care a great deal about their hair, their complexion, their personal clothing style, and the cleanliness of their shoes. Appearance is just extremely important in this country.
Answer

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-SilverAngel- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
lol I would say yes Korean men are possessive and they do like to touch. I was just a good friend, not even a gf and my male Korean friend rubbed my shoulder  a few times while I was typing the data on the lab lol. 
But I feel (IMO) a lot of Asian men are possessive. Its a trait not hoarded just by Korean men but by most Asian men. There is nothing wrong with being possessive (to a normal extent) as everyone has that instinct in them for their partner but men going out of control is something that I doing like.
kshows_fangirl thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: -WhisperMahi-

lol I would say yes Korean men are possessive and they do like to touch. I was just a good friend, not even a gf and my male Korean friend rubbed my shoulder  a few times while I was typing the data on the lab lol. 

But I feel (IMO) a lot of Asian men are possessive. Its a trait not hoarded just by Korean men but by most Asian men. There is nothing wrong with being possessive (to a normal extent) as everyone has that instinct in them for their partner but men going out of control is something that I doing like.

Really?! I would disagree that a lot of Asian Men are possessive..I rarely see Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese men possessive or even jealous..Also, Indian men may be traditional but I don't think that Indian men are possessive, certainly not from what I have seen in my family and friends circle.

But, out of all Asian men I truly do believe that Korean Men tend to take possessiveness up a notch a bit..They really are sometimes too possessive..I don't think any other men from other Asian origins are that possessive as Korean men are..:)

And, yes lol..same thing happened to me..one of my Korean friends introduced me to this other Korean guy who was really cute btw..He was very touchy as in always trying to rub my shoulders, just putting his arm around my waist. I was kinda getting nervous w/ that sort of bold affection.😆
Thank God, now he has a girlfriend so he has stopped doing it except just hugging me when we meet..But, I did ask him why he used to do that since now we are great friends, he said that he wanted to us to go out on a date back then! I was speechless!😆 

But, now he has truly found his soulmate so we now joke about it. ðŸ˜Š
OtakuGirl-Debo thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
lolz..I guess and also feel that they are also honest with their partner..
bewakoofLadki thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Woww
tfs i never knew abt it