Are children really ignorant? Are they amoral?

-Imu.M- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 10 years ago

Hello guys, I am not sure if any of you remember me from my previous posts or not. I am back again. My comment is for the episode where Ruhi decides and says that she wants to live with Ishita Iyer.

First of all, the word amoral refers to those who don't know what right or wrong is or maybe they don't know what it means for something to be right or wrong and an example given in my Philosophy and Ethics class are always children. We often assume that kids are ignorant they never have the knowledge of right and wrong and that's parents feel that they need to make the decisions themselves for their children. Do you think maybe we underestimate the power of a children mind or heart?

Yes I understand it's a show and the little girl was made to say such a decision. But I'm into philosophy and I often like to look into people's action and people's behaviour. Watching Ruhi make such a decision struck a thought across my wondering mind. Clearly Ruhi is able to differentiate the kind of love she gets from her father's side and her mother also, in comparison, to the love she gets from Ishita allowing her to decide that her happiness lies in with Ishita. If she was able to decide that do you not ever think that maybe kids are more than capable enough to decide for themselves what is good for them or bad? Maybe.

I personally, post watching such a episode, feel that maybe we have underestimate children really young and therefore impose our views of right and wrong on them. I have always believed that what is right for you does not ever mean that it's right for someone else. I have never thought that 'this particular someone' could apply to children too. Surely they're young and they have not yet seen the world. They're probably only exposed to what they have seen for example the locality Ruhi lives in but from her experience from there she should still understand what brings her happiness and laughter. Therefore, I believe maybe children are able to decide for themselves from a young age we probably never let them take decisions for themselves because we claim we have seen a bigger world but we never concentrate that what we see in the outside world probably has no relevance to our smaller world, such as our locality and our family.

I'd probably say we should give kids more chances to give their opinions from a certain age. But some people take it as if they'll make the wrong decision. Surely that kind of feelings coming from love and willing to protect our loved ones. But kids only rebel or employ tactics such as lying, smaller form of betrayal to do what they feel is right for them! Do you think maybe we could change our upbringing and embrace the decision-making power children 'may' have within them?

Feel free to dispute against any comments I have made. It's only my analysis! 😊

Kind Regards
I look forward to your comments and feedbacks :)

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

PyaarDostiHai thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
To some degree, you are right in that adults often underestimate children and what they know about the world.

But that doesn't mean children are capable of making decisions for themselves.Ruhi reacted the way she did only because she understood that ishitha made her happy. Children cannot get morals and cannot differentiate between right and wrong on their own. And the idea that they will resort to stealing or lying is true, but only because they have seen someone else do such things.

I personally don't think its a good idea to not teach young children. Once they're a little older you can stop enforcing your opinions but until then... Well they need guidance

Hope that responded well to your post. I wrote this in a bit of a rush...
-ChutkiBajake- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Such a powerful and meaningful post πŸ‘
I agree in some point where we should let children to decide what they want but not always. No parents will ever think bad for their children. Therefore, the decisions they take are often turn out to be right ( even after some time )..

In case of Ruhi, I agree with your point.
mrym_rauf thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Really nice post!! I really liked how u analysed the children's situation whether they have right to make decisions on their own or not!
Comment from my side is that indeed children are so pure in heart that they follow only the language of world, at least what I think n have observed,
So coming towards Ruhi, she did a right thing, cz Ishita is the only one from where she gets true essence of love, I know her Daadi also loves her, but ishita is the one who is always there for her!
So, I think children indeed make decisions but it depends on their elders that they value their children's decision or not!
naq5 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
children are actually more righteous & understanding & intelligent than what we think. πŸ˜‰we as adults make mistakes knowingly while they make them in ignorance. most of the fights & miseries in this world have been caused by adults not children . and children are well capable of taking their own decicions. n well the kind of decicions adults take that i am seeing i think they r not better off than children.
i am actually happy with what ruhi choose. she wants to actually start a new life with ishita forgetting all the hurt both her parents have given herπŸ‘πŸ‘. And with the number of divorce cases happening these days on even just the pretex of loosing interest in each other(heloo mr n ms set of parents ur children havent yet lost interest in both of you n need you together) i seriously think if adults are actually capable of taking decisions for their kids n themselves.

-Imu.M- thumbnail

Originally posted by: PyaarDostiHai

To some degree, you are right in that adults often underestimate children and what they know about the world.

But that doesn't mean children are capable of making decisions for themselves.Ruhi reacted the way she did only because she understood that ishitha made her happy. Children cannot get morals and cannot differentiate between right and wrong on their own. And the idea that they will resort to stealing or lying is true, but only because they have seen someone else do such things.

I personally don't think its a good idea to not teach young children. Once they're a little older you can stop enforcing your opinions but until then... Well they need guidance

Hope that responded well to your post. I wrote this in a bit of a rush...

Why cannot children get morals or differentiate between right and wrong? What's to say that we do not come with a priori knowledge? Knowledge that comes from within we already have it in us. For example, we grow up being taught a lot of things by our families etc but when we grow up we realise that what we been taught was not accurate therefore we 'decide' that the truth is something else right? Just because children don't have the right words to explain does it mean that they can't think of the right thing?

If children couldn't differentiate between right an wrong then could Ruhi have decide that the right love was coming from Ishita and not from the others? Could Ruhi have differentiated the different types of love?

Thank you for commenting I really liked reading your comment :)
aadk thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
A really sensible post! 😊 Am a silent member of this forum,but this post of yours somehow is making me want to reply.
We often hear cases of sexual harassment of children.Many of the innocent children who are the victims of this disgusting act by the adults often sense something wrong by the very touch of the adult.And the parents many a times ignore these things when the children come upto them with these incidents. A child' mind is free of any pre-conceived notion.The way how a child senses something unpleasant,something wrong still intrigues me.We as adults claim to have seen a much bigger portion of the world and still live among those very people who commit the worst of the sins and we are clueless of their acts!

Your reference to priori knowledge reminded me of the concept of absolute morality.When a child says 'Its my seat...I was there first!' or 'You lied to me?How could you?",here the child is unknowingly referring to something that is unquestionably right- a self evident truth.As we grow,many a things get added into the list of the 'rights' and many more into the list of the 'wrongs',some of which are self evident truths,some by our conscious judgement,some by what we are taught and some by just our instincts. We are not right when we say that a child is completely ignorant of the world and we become all protective about the kids and believe that we as adults know the best interest of the child. Its just that we as adults need have the right amount of sensibilty to be considerate of the views of a child and at the same time slowly open up the kid under our protective wings to the world around.
-Imu.M- thumbnail

Originally posted by: aadk

A really sensible post! 😊 Am a silent member of this forum,but this post of yours somehow is making me want to reply.

We often hear cases of sexual harassment of children.Many of the innocent children who are the victims of this disgusting act by the adults often sense something wrong by the very touch of the adult.And the parents many a times ignore these things when the children come upto them with these incidents. A child' mind is free of any pre-conceived notion.The way how a child senses something unpleasant,something wrong still intrigues me.We as adults claim to have seen a much bigger portion of the world and still live among those very people who commit the worst of the sins and we are clueless of their acts!

Your reference to priori knowledge reminded me of the concept of absolute morality.When a child says 'Its my seat...I was there first!' or 'You lied to me?How could you?",here the child is unknowingly referring to something that is unquestionably right- a self evident truth.As we grow,many a things get added into the list of the 'rights' and many more into the list of the 'wrongs',some of which are self evident truths,some by our conscious judgement,some by what we are taught and some by just our instincts. We are not right when we say that a child is completely ignorant of the world and we become all protective about the kids and believe that we as adults know the best interest of the child. Its just that we as adults need have the right amount of sensibilty to be considerate of the views of a child and at the same time slowly open up the kid under our protective wings to the world around.

YES! wonderfully written πŸ‘πŸ‘ maybe the instinct of a Kid is a strong one that we may often underestimate. I personally don't feel that children should be controlled with the argument that they're ignorant, they don't know what's right and wrong yet etc. But that same kid from young age can often even decide if her/his father or mother is a good or not. Their mind is much more stable and understanding of experience that we acknowledge I think!