---Nisha--- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 7
Posted: 10 years ago
So, I just started watching this show today. I am in the 2nd or 3rd episode and a bit shocked to be honest. Are the hero and heroine related...brother and sister? If I am not wrong Aaliya's mother calls Zain's father her bhaijan...her brother. Making them cousins.
More so, is cousin marriage legal? I honestly thought it was illegal in India.

Apologies if I come across as ignorant...I honestly don't mean to offend anyone, but I see my cousins as my brother and sisters. I may not love my cousins as much as I love my only brother, but they are still my brothers. It is unthinkable in my family for cousins (forget first cousins, second, even third) to marry. You are not even supposed to marry someone from your own town (gam as gujrati's call it) because all men in your town are considered your brothers. So I am having a hard time digesting this. Plus, I have never seen an Indian show with cousin marriage. So that is a shocker as well. I knew cousin marriages happened in middle east and some other places, I just never knew India was one of them.

I dont want to offend anyone so I should say this:
The whole objective of this thread is to try to understand other people and their customs. Its really was not meant to offend. If you dont talk about something then it will forever be alien to you. I could have kept my mouth shut and pretended as if it was completely fine by me but then I would have been lying. Or I could have just stopped watching this show and gone about my business, but then I would have just been ignoring this.
Edited by ---Nisha--- - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shorty123 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
In Islam first cousin marriages are allowed. Religous beliefs vary accordingly. Please try to respect other religions. Just because some cultures/religions are different to others then that doesn't mean one has the right to pass judgement on beliefs shared by other religions.
.GrangerMalfoy. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: shorty123

In Islam first cousin marriages are allowed. Religous beliefs vary accordingly. Please try to respect other religions. Just because some cultures/religions are different to others then that doesn't mean one has the right to pass judgement on beliefs shared by other religions.

I don't think she knew that. If she had she probably wouldn't have said so.

And yup, it's legal but only in Islam.
Edited by ASRaddictKKG - 10 years ago
---Nisha--- thumbnail

Passing judgement was not the intent. If I really wanted to pass judgement then this thread would have read differently. This was me explaining my perspective...where I come from.
It is just such a huge taboo that its hard to express yourself without offending atleast a little, I suppose.

MereMahiyaa. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
in our culture and Faith its normal mine niece married mine nephew soo dont it weird at all
i can understand you think it weird but it is not illegal in Europe or mine parents country Morocco

dont no about india and America
Edited by .SajnaVe. - 10 years ago
Yuvika_15 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
welcome to the forum! remember to introduce urself in the introduction corner thread: https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/3865038
shorty123 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Ok maybe I was a bit rash in my response. So I apologise if i sounded curt. However, it aggravates me when people come out with 'first cousin marriages are taboo'. Who decides which practices are deemed taboo and which aren't? there are many things that people from other cultures/religion practice which can be perceived as taboo but the general society does not because such practices are exercised by the West. Sadly, it is the West who dictate which practices should be perceived as taboo and what should be considered as normal.
Pizzaologist thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
Hey welcome to the forum. It's good to see Arhi/Arshi fans here 😃
I understand where you're coming from. To be honest i felt the same at first but now i find the whole concept really cute- that may be because i don't have cousins my age. 😛 My mother's family oppose cousin marriages but my fathers family love it. 😆😕

I'm not sure whether it's illegal in the UK but i know for a fact that it's something considered as COMPLETELY WRONG. It's like incest... eventhough it's not technically incest but you get my point.. (i hope you do!)😆

I hope their chemistry allows you to think beyond the whole cousin thing. 😳

Cheers.

FromTheAshes thumbnail
Welcome to the forum dear.
Ur doubts are justified but in islam its normal.
---Nisha--- thumbnail

Ok maybe I was a bit rash in my response. So I apologise if i sounded curt. However, it aggravates me when people come out with 'first cousin marriages are taboo'. Who decides which practices are deemed taboo and which aren't? there are many things that people from other cultures/religion practice which can be perceived as taboo but the general society does not because such practices are exercised by the West. Sadly, it is the West who dictate which practices should be perceived as taboo and what should be considered as normal.

I am not looking at it from the West's perspective. I am looking at it from my perspective.
There was recently as thread in Rangrasiya about the male lead not being a virgin and how if the heroine had been a non virgin then everyone would have called her a s**t. In our (Indian) culture it is a taboo for a woman not to be a virgin until she is married, but that doesnt bother me at all. that is not a taboo for me.
Taboo is what is taboo to you.
Its hard to understand and accept something so very different from what you grew up with. Perhaps if I had known someone who had married their cousin then it would have been different. But I never knew anyone, never even heard of anyone. If you grow up with something then its normal. And what you dont grow up with, is not the norm and hard to understand.

The whole objective of this thread is to try to understand other people and their customs. Its really was not meant to offend. If you dont talk abotu something then it will forever be alien to you. I could have kept my mouth shut and pretended as if it was completely fine by me but then I would have been lying.
Edited by ---Nisha--- - 10 years ago