Which is actually the CLASSIER family?

Marybarton thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 10 years ago
Both families are entertaining and I am loving them. But thought it might be fun to have some discussion. They represent a little bit of the ridiculous in each other's culture for entertainment, but I don't think they are offending either community. Please respond with your take. This is just my POV:

Team Bhalla:

Caring, protective and rather unassuming family that has been hurt badly by a betrayal. Has good intentions, but bad executions. How? They love Ruhi, but are quite careless about when she goes off alone in the streets, in the park, how she sleeps, etc. Raman with his hurt heart has gone off to Mumbai leaving Ruhi behind to be taken care of by an old mom. Here, Mihir was right, she cannot be the active, attentive woman that Ruhi needs. As a doctor, Ishita has every right to be concerned with this overdose and had to act quickly to save the child. In real life, they would be reported to child-protective-services. I really don't see Ishita's attention toward Ruhi has desperation, though it is unfortunate that every woman is expected to want to be a mother in Ekta's show. But that is the story creating the romance, so we have to take it.

Mama Bhalla doesn't have much education but she does not care to learn here and there either (e.g. English). Not that English is the be all end all, however, that's how it is shown. She is a little too fond of her drinks, I guess this is for Mrs. Iyer's benefit. She fits some Punjabi stereotypes for entertainment. The children among them are pretty much vagabonds and irresponsible. They are without much education as evidenced by Romi-I-objectify-women-Bhalla and Dolly-I-create-drama-for-my-own-selfish-needs Bhalla. She actually thinks Dimple is a good pick because she dresses well. After model wannabe Shagun, we have well-dressed Dimple. Airheads picking airheads for a thinking man like Raman.

Coming back to Romi. THERE ARE TOO MANY ROMIS IN THIS WORLD AND NOT ENOUGH RAMANS!!! I KNOW TOO MANY DESI ROMIS, CANNOT NAME A SINGLE RAMAN. Okay, rant over, back to the point. The younger sister is just a spare with no lasting impression. The dad is a nice guy with no real say. He is disappointed in Raman most likely for changing into this mean character after Shagun's leave.

Their only prize is the oldest, Raman, who sucked up all the family talent and left none for the kids after him LOL 🤣. He is more like his dad but with a strong will (maybe his dad will show more will soon). Unlike his family, Raman neither loud, nor proud. He's a very polished, well-spoken man whose patience with his family's eccentricities deserves a reward. Before he was just an awkward nerd which means, once again, Bhalla family did not really raise him to face the world and its evils. They were just happy with a well-performing model student.

Mama Bhalla loves all her chicks, but has no idea how to take care of them. She firstly found Raman a girl who was not worthy of him in education or ideals. Shagun was introduced by her mom as "a wannabe model who they are just seeking to marry off to a guy who will carry her load 😆 financially," and Mama Bhalla still did not see what is wrong with the picture. She takes a little of the blame here for failing to protect her unassuming son...even though Shagun takes the cake for blame. Raman fell for beauty and learned the hard way that there's more to love. I love when that happens to men 😈 muhahahaha. They marry for looks and bam it hits them like a hot frying pan in the face that they should have cared to search within a little more 😆.

Team Iyer:

Dad worked for the government's health department (hint: educated) and therefore not loaded. Probably never took a bribe. Happy to have two daughters, no backward ideas about OH-WOE-IS-ME-NO-SONS. He is an honest, working man, now retired. He's quite nice and a typical Indian dad in many GOOD ways. 😃 Mom is well-spoken in Hindi, Tamil and English and in touch with technological advances like the internet. MODERN and TRADITIONAL in all the right ways. These hint that they are both better educated than the Bhallas, which I think is an important point to notice even though the Bhallas are way richer thanks to Raman now. They are actually a very classy family. As the saying goes, money can't guy class ⭐️

They raised one older level-headed daughter who does not get into fights with her useless mother-in-law and one dentist. Both women are well-adjusted and have calm, sharp temperaments. They are also very open-minded about their daughter being a doctor and therefore on-call at anytime - including late night.

Mother is a little like Mrs. Bennett and does really desperate things to get her married that gets very embarrassing. But she did give her daughter the freedom to chose for herself and doesn't blame her for Subbu's cowardice. Some of her antics are understandable because she is worried about Ishita being looked down upon for not being able to have children.

But she forgets that her daughter is an independent, working woman who can stand on her own two feet and there is no need to feel down just because of women like Subbu's mother. 😡 Her motherly pride is hurt and she knows Ishita is a prize and she wants to show the world for looking down on her wonderful daughter. That is understandable from a mother's POV. Played by the best actor in the show, this is a character whose ridiculous antics I find very funny. Though it real life, she could be a pain for a daughter, she is a loving mother and Ishi knows that. Otherwise, they are a quiet family who made few troubles for the neighbors other than that flooding incident.

I personally side with the Iyer family despite what Raman says. They are neither gold-diggers, nor unclassy. Raman making fun of Ishita's looks and her status went a bit for me (even though he did not know better). He will soon see that the Iyers are much more balanced than his own. Ishita actually does not actually have to settle for a divorced man with a child and a crazy family. She would actually be marrying down if she does that. Her inability to carry a child is not her fault and she doesn't need to compromise for that. Raman and Ishita only work because they have a strong attraction that will turn to love and because Ruhi is adorable.

What do you think?

Edited by Marybarton - 10 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Sofna thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3
Iyer family any day...very accurate points u have made regarding both families.
But the Iyer win hands down, because of the connectivity they share & sense of broad mindedness! It would take some amazing parenting to have such innate faith in both their children, considering they are daughters. That is why both their sisters are well grounded & not so easy to rattle...their actions speak for their parents upbringing!!!

And the Bhalla family are just money with no class... Shagun was actually a favor in disguise...@least she impacted one person ... bcz the father despite being a goody two shoes hasn't really had much difference made to his family.
Marybarton thumbnail

Originally posted by: Sofna

Iyer family any day...very accurate points u have made regarding both families.
But the Iyer win hands down, because of the connectivity they share & sense of broad mindedness! It would take some amazing parenting to have such innate faith in both their children, considering they are daughters. That is why both their sisters are well grounded & not so easy to rattle...their actions speak for their parents upbringing!!!

And the Bhalla family are just money with no class... Shagun was actually a favor in disguise...@least she impacted one person ... bcz the father despite being a goody two shoes hasn't really had much difference made to his family.

Well said! I added a little something more:

Ishita actually does not actually have to settle for a divorced man with a child and a crazy family. She would actually be marrying down if she does that. Her inability to carry a child is not her fault and she doesn't need to compromise for that. Raman and Ishita only work because they have a strong attraction that will turn to love and because Ruhi is adorable.
napstermonster thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 7
Mary Barton, I am so glad to see you here--missed you a lot--I wonder if you recall me at all from our posts and writings from our IPKKND days!
In response to your query:

I think the story might move forward, resulting in a cessation on the outright war going on right now. And the way that might happen is actually via the respective fathers--I feel that Mr Iyer is the calm one in that house, the one Ishita most closely resembles, and he is educated and knows his daughter, intervenes when he needs to, and gives her space when she needs that. He is also sensible enough to try and be friends with his neighbour, but of course, we will need to see what happens with the whole arrest thing.

Mr Bhalla seems to be the man Raman most closely resembles--i see nothing of his mom or Romy the Retard or the Eldest Sister Of Evil in him. Mr Bhalla, on the other hand--he seems equally level headed, but he is a man who is clearly very upset with who his son has become.

They clearly have unresolved issues, and I see this as an important point to explain--surely given what we know about Shagun, any father would support his son, when he's been so betrayed. There is more there, clearly-- for a typical Indian family, to have a father totally ignore a son is unusual, especially when he is the victim.

Mr Bhalla wont even speak to Raman--i find that curious. I also think Raman's money, which is such a source of pride for the mother is a problem, actually, for his father, aside from how his son has changed as a result of that money.

On the other hand, while I find Mrs Iyer hilarious, I find very little difference between her and Mrs Bhalla. They have the exact same personality, one is just better at accented English than the other. But if you see the way they interact, and the fact that they are both pitting their kids' potential marriages against each other as some kind of twisted competition--just because Mrs Iyer is funnier doesnt make her the better mother.

She has the better kid, but is, herself, not a better mom than Mrs Bhalla. Ishita just happens to make her look better.

I find Mrs Iyer's desperation to be ugly, because it discounts how humiliated her daughter is by her actions--I would have appreciated it if she had backed off for about an hour between checking Raman's bank account and sticking Prateek into Ishita's face. There is little to choose between her and Mrs Bhala, who is basically looking for any breathing girl to marry Raman, anything else be damned.
Marybarton thumbnail

Originally posted by: napstermonster

Mary Barton, I am so glad to see you here--missed you a lot--I wonder if you recall me at all from our posts and writings from our IPKKND days!

In response to your query:

I think the story might move forward, resulting in a cessation on the outright war going on right now. And the way that might happen is actually via the respective fathers--I feel that Mr Iyer is the calm one in that house, the one Ishita most closely resembles, and he is educated and knows his daughter, intervenes when he needs to, and gives her space when she needs that. He is also sensible enough to try and be friends with his neighbour, but of course, we will need to see what happens with the whole arrest thing.

Mr Bhalla seems to be the man Raman most closely resembles--i see nothing of his mom or Romy the Retard or the Eldest Sister Of Evil in him. Mr Bhalla, on the other hand--he seems equally level headed, but he is a man who is clearly very upset with who his son has become.

They clearly have unresolved issues, and I see this as an important point to explain--surely given what we know about Shagun, any father would support his son, when he's been so betrayed. There is more there, clearly-- for a typical Indian family, to have a father totally ignore a son is unusual, especially when he is the victim.

Mr Bhalla wont even speak to Raman--i find that curious. I also think Raman's money, which is such a source of pride for the mother is a problem, actually, for his father, aside from how his son has changed as a result of that money.

On the other hand, while I find Mrs Iyer hilarious, I find very little difference between her and Mrs Bhalla. They have the exact same personality, one is just better at accented English than the other. But if you see the way they interact, and the fact that they are both pitting their kids' potential marriages against each other as some kind of twisted competition--just because Mrs Iyer is funnier doesnt make her the better mother.

She has the better kid, but is, herself, not a better mom than Mrs Bhalla. Ishita just happens to make her look better.

I find Mrs Iyer's desperation to be ugly, because it discounts how humiliated her daughter is by her actions--I would have appreciated it if she had backed off for about an hour between checking Raman's bank account and sticking Prateek into Ishita's face. There is little to choose between her and Mrs Bhala, who is basically looking for any breathing girl to marry Raman, anything else be damned.

Of course I remember you. I agree that the moms are the same. They have both gone nuts after their shocks. For Mama Bhalla that is Shagun and for Mama Iyer that is Subbu. They behave the same way with each other. Raman actually also makes his mother look good by indulging her. He's a good son to her most of the time. He always gives into what his mom wants him to do, who she wants him to marry, how she wants him to feed and take care of Ruhi.

Npadz thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I agree, the Iyer family is definitely classier. The Bhallas' eldest daughter clearly has little morals as she feels it's fine to humiliate the Iyers and get the parents beaten up by the police, despite knowing the truth about how Ishita saved her niece's life!
But saying this, the Mrs Iyer is really annoying. If not for her, the families wouldn't be fighting like this. Yes, the Bhallas disliked the Iyers before but the hatred really intensified after the whole payslip thing. If not for that, they wouldn't have suspected that Ishita kidnapped Ruhi and would have treated the situation with more calm.
renugowda thumbnail
yes it is Iyers.,,,,,,,,,,,,Raman Family has money but no class.U can make out by seeing his mom,bro and sis
hagen thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I FEEL RUHI IS MORE CLASSIER THAN BOTH THE FAMILIES.I LOVE RUHI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
priyatnl thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 3
just one point
if you remember how raman's father had congratulated ishitha's father I felt he will be the peacemaker of house
he will make Mrs bhalla agree when she objects to the rishta with iyers
I feel ishitha may marry Raman only for ruhi
rainbowgirl thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
well EK has gone for the baap of clichs with both families. The Bhallas are typical low IQ loud mouthed partying kinds & Iyers as educated god fearing humble people 🤢 Personally i don't find anything interesting or classy about these two 🥱
Like Napstermonster said Mrs Bhalla & Mrs Iyer are forever pitting against each other with their respective antics which is borderline annoying. I find Mrs Iyer more irritating as she speaks atrocious tamil 🤢
Edited by rainbowgirl - 10 years ago