suku_07 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago
OMG countdown is going on 🤣
Suvika. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Originally posted by: deepali.rock

What were u doing here at 2am last night?

bad dream. could not sleep after that
suku_07 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Suvika.

Now ok ??
suku_07 thumbnail
Suvi ji, Deepu Check twitter...I am following you now 😉
deepali.rock thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 3

Originally posted by: Suvika.

oh..happens..
Slept in afternoon?
Suvika. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

Before you all start reading the chapter I want to tell a couple of things.

1. The descriptions in this chapter are going to be a little stark. So please be prepared.

2. Medically, I have tried to make it sound as accurate as possible but I did take a few creative liberties to soften the story. My dearest doctor friends, please don't come after me with dandas.

Chapter Three

"Helloo?"

"Hello, Kaka? It's me."

Anxiety added extra tremor in HK's voice. "Ashu beta, what happened? You went to that hospital? Is that our Nidhi? You saw her? I was waiting for your call for such a long time now. Could not even sleep.."

"Kaka, kaka..yes. Nidhi is here."

HK didn't bother to control his outburst. He just held the phone closer to his ear and cried. "Say that again Ashu. This old man is not hearing things, is he?"

Ashutosh swallowed and tried to clear his clogged throat. His eyes continued to stare at Nidhi as if afraid to blink. She was still sleeping. In fact hadn't even stirred in the last few hours. Only the thought of HK waiting for his call made him move away from the bed. He had left Pune in a hurry with a garbled explanation to HK and a promise to call him at the earliest.

"Kaka, Nidhi is here. She is alive. I spoke to the doctor. He said..he said I can take her home in a day or two."

"Oh God is indeed great! It's a miracle Ashu. Truly a miracle. I am going to go to the temple right away. I will tell the pandit to do an abhishek in both of your names. When are you going to bring her home? I should.."

"Kaka..please. Your BP will shoot up again. Please relax."

Ashutosh could actually see HK laughing and crying as he paced the kitchen. "Oh to hell with my BP. Nothing will happen to me now. Can I talk to Nidhi? I want to talk to her. Give the phone to her na beta."

His eyes sought his wife's sleeping face once again. A kind of stunned disbelief still evident in them. "She is sleeping now. Doctor gave her some injection. Once she wakes up.."

"Ok..Ok..don't stress her too much. When are you going to bring her home?"

"I will inform you after I talk to the doctor again. Now get some sleep."

"Sleep? Forget sleep. I am going to decorate the whole house now. I am going to get your room all cleaned up. Air her clothes, cook her favourite dishes..there is so much to do. I don't even know where to start.."

Ashutosh sighed and ran a tired hand over his face. "Kaka..please. Take your BP tablet now. I can't handle it if.."

That brought down HK's hyper excitement and he visibly tried to calm himself down. "Fine. Fine. I will take the tablet. You don't worry about me. You just bring her home soon."

"Kaka, she had a head injury. Doesn't remember the last few years. Doesn't remember our marriage or.."

That held HK silent. But only for a few moments. "Oh, you don't worry about that. God has given you a second chance. Now both of you can start fresh once again. Bring her home and she will be back to normal in no time."

Ashutosh could hear sounds in the background. "Kaka, what are you doing?"

HK huffed a bit. "I am throwing away all your bottles."

Seeing Nidhi stirring in her sleep, he hastily cuts in. "Kaka, I will call you again. OK?"

"Yeah yeah. OK. Bring her home soon. God bless both of you beta and God bless Armaan too. If he hadn't seen Nidhi when he did.."

"Talk to you later kaka. Bye." Ashutosh sat on the bed and took her hand once again in his. Her breath shuddered out as she once again settled into deep sleep. He debated with himself for a while before taking his phone out once again.

"Armaan."

"How is she?" No preliminaries.

"OK. Sleeping. I am planning to bring her back to Pune tomorrow or the day after."

"Her memory?"

"No." A few beats of silence and then, "Armaan..thank you."

"I didn't do it for you Ashutosh."

"I know."

"Take care of her." Ashutosh didn't respond to that.

Ashutosh, why don't you also join us? Otherwise it will be all oldies.'

Yes beta, why don't you come? It is only for two days na.'

Aunty, mom..you guys go on. Nidhi has exams. I will stay and keep her company.'

See Rukmini, your son's priorities have already changed.'

What changed Nandini? My son's world begins and ends with your daughter. And it has been that way since I don't know how long!' Both women looked on at their children indulgently.

What say Alok? Want to have my daughter as your daughter in law?'

Well, the way I see it, either Nidhi becomes my bahu or Ashutosh becomes your gharjamai. Completely your choice.' Laughter rang all around and with a final wave the couples got into the cab.

Ashutosh..papa..Ashutosh..meri mom Ashutosh..tell them to wake up. Why aren't they moving Ashutosh?'

Nidhi..' Ashutosh tried to pull her into his arms.

No. I want to go with them. I want to go. I want papa. MOM! PAPA!'

Nidhi..no. NIDHI..look at me..look at me. I need you. I need you with me. Our parents are gone. But I won't let you go. How will I survive Nidhi?'

Nidhi looked at his own tear filled eyes and fell into his arms with a loud wail. "Papa Ashutosh! Mere papa!'

Ashutosh wiped his eyes with the back of his hand. Shhh..Nidhi..I am there. I am there for you. We are there for each other. We will take care of each other.'

You won't leave me?' Nidhi's voice ended in a hiccup.

No my Lois. I would never leave you. Never. Never ever.'

Nidhi is MINE! I see you anywhere near her, I am going to tear you apart Armaan!'

Whoa..whoa..so much anger! This is not a Bollywood movie and I am not a badie here Ashutosh.'

Nidhi put her hand on both their chests and pushed them away from each other. Back off! Both of you. This is ridiculous! And stupid! And Juvenile! Ashutosh, let's go.'

Armaan smiled at her; the glint of adoration and admiration in his eyes plain for everyone to see. Nidhi, how was your exam today?'

Ashutosh snarled. Nidhi's hand on his chest the only thing stopping him from pouncing on Armaan once again. None of your damn business.'

Nidhi, let me know if you ever need any help. OK? Don't hesitate.' Armaan waited for Nidhi to nod and turn away before giving Ashutosh a derisive smile. Contrary to what you seem to think, Nidhi is not your property Ashutosh Mathur. All I need is one gesture. One gesture from her and I will take her away before you can blink.'

ASHUTOSH..NO!!'

"Nidhi..shhh..Nidhi I am right here. Relax. Open your eyes. Look at me. I am right here."

Her breath hitched in as she opened her eyes to the dim lights of the hospital room and Ashutosh's concerned face hovering close to hers. Why did he look so different? She struggled to pull herself up only to be held down by him gently.

"Shhh..you are pulling your IV line again." His voice was gentle; his touch soothing.

"Why..why did you have to hit him? You know how rich and influential his father is! What if it reaches your dad? You shouldn't have.."

Trepidation and wariness entered his eyes as he struggled with his push his own demons away. "Hit who Nidhi?"

"Armaan! You flare up whenever you see him. And you hit him.." She blinked and looked around as if noticing the surroundings for the first time. "What is this? Where am I?"

Ashutosh leaned close, his fingers reaching tentatively for her cheek. "Hey," he murmured in a voice that cracked. "It's OK. Relax. You got hurt. So you are in a hospital. But you are fine now. Doctor said I can take you home."

"Ashutosh."

"Yes, it's me. Ashutosh. Do you understand what I am saying?"

She nodded, her throat too constricted to say anything. He leaned down and pressed his lips to her forehead, and then he withdrew and carefully pushed her hair back with his fingers. "Got room for me to sit?" He asked.

She looked down at where his hip leaned against her bed and then hastily scooted against the rail on the other side. He settled onto the bed, his thigh pressed to hers. "How are you feeling?"

More images haunted her memory. Smoky, hanging on the edge of her recall. This time she saw his face drawn in anger. He shouted and she recoiled from the dark feeling that swept over her.

"Nidhi?" She yanked her gaze to his and tried to control her rapid breathing. "What's wrong?" She shook her head, unable to explain the brief flash that had unsettled her.

For a long moment, he simply stared at her, his gaze caressing her face as surely as if he were stroking her with his fingers. She absorbed it greedily, wanting this contact, the feeling of security he instilled just with his presence. She continued to study him in the dim light. He was large, much larger than she remembered. Broad shoulders on a six foot frame, washboard flat stomach and sleek black hair that desperately needed a brush and a cut. Midnight black eyes, serious and brooding. But she never remembered them to be that way before. Those eyes sparkled with laughter and became sharp and intense when he went into one of his thinking modes. Now it seemed as if all the laughter had been sucked out of him.

"Are you hurting? Shall I call the doctor?"

Ashutosh's urgent voice reached her. Her eyes fluttered open again, and this time, he was leaning close, his fingers reaching tentatively for her cheek. Instead of responding, she reached up and caught his fingers. They were so warm and strong around hers. He rubbed his thumb across the top of her hand and then brought it up to his lips in a gesture so tender that it deeply moved her.

"I had an accident?"

Again, he brought her hands to his lips and held them there, his mouth pressed to her knuckles. He trembled against her fingers as he kissed them. "Yes." His voice was hoarse as if he had been screaming.

"You came." The events of last night formed a hazy picture in her mind. Someone saying that she had been in a coma. Her, screaming for Ashutosh like a lunatic..and he had come.

He nodded jerkily. "I didn't know otherwise I would have come sooner." His fingers traced her thin face and arms repeatedly. "I just need to touch you. To have you here. To feel you again." Emotion clogged his voice, making it strained and raw. "I thought you were dead. I mourned for you, tried to get on with my life without you. And now, here you are. It's more than I ever hoped or dreamed."

Her breath caught and hiccupped roughly from her chest. Her insides twisted and squeezed. Tears burned like acid. "It's not that easy. I would never leave you so easily."

He bowed his head, lowering until his forehead touched hers. "I love you, Nidhi. I won't ever let you go again."

"There's a lot I don't remember," she said hesitantly.

As if sensing her turmoil, he pulled away. He stared down at her, his eyes suddenly troubled and guilty. He blinked and that expression was gone. Had she imagined it? Probably. What would he have to feel guilty over?

"It'll be OK." He soothed her. "Your memory will come back in time. The important thing is that I have you back."

Nidhi smiled and nodded, reassured. "Where is Kaka? How is he?"

That drew an answering smile from him. And it transformed his face. Gone was the serious gruff man, replaced by boyish charm. "He is fine. Hyper-excited that you would be coming home soon. Brace yourself because he is going to smother you with his pampering."

"I am hungry." She blurted.

He got up immediately. "OK. I think that's a good sign. I'll be right back. Don't move. OK?" And left the room after a quick look back at Nidhi..his wife.

"Where are we going?" Nidhi asked as Ashutosh picked her up and cradled her close.

He gave Nidhi a tender smile and ducked into the back seat of the Safari and laid her on the seat. He retreated, closing the door, and then walked around to the other side. He climbed in and picked up her head and pillowed it on his lap. The slamming of the front door signalled the driver getting in and then came the roar of the engine and the low hum underneath her back as the car maneuvered onto the road. "We are going home. Doctor said you are fine. Once we reach, you are supposed to take it easy and take rest and build up your strength."

It was probably the fifth time that she asked the same question but there was no impatience or weariness in his tone. He replied the same way he had done the first time she asked that question. She looked at the luxurious vehicle and frowned. "But this cab..is it not too expensive? Your business..can we afford.."

He smoothed her hair. "Yes. Business has shot up in the last few years. This is not a cab. This vehicle is ours."

"Ours? Really?"

He grinned. "Yup. Now rest. It will take about four hours for us to reach."

Her frown deepened. "Where are we? Are we not in Pune?"

Ashutosh swallowed and looked away. "We do live in Pune. But you were in a Mumbai hospital."

"But why was I in Mumbai?" She rubbed her throbbing forehead.

"Shhh..don't force yourself trying to remember. We will go home, you will build up your strength. Just concentrate on that for now." He had already called his friend, Dr Ranganath. Dr Dubey spoke to him over the phone and her case file which had all the details for her injury and treatment process was emailed to Ranganath before Nidhi was officially discharged.

Ashutosh looked down at her head now resting in his lap. When would she remember? Would she sleep now and wake up with her memory completely restored? Would she put it all together so soon? He realised that was what he feared most. Losing her..again..after getting her back.

Nidhi eyed the house from the window of the Safari as the driver came to a stop in front of main gate. "Where are we?"

Ashutosh got down from the other side and came around to hold the door open for her. "We are home."

She blinked. "This? This is your home?"

He extended his hand palm up. "Our home. Come."

She waited for recognition to hit her, but she stared numbly as if it were someone else's house. Not her own. It was a beautiful house, and she could certainly see it as a place she would have loved. There was a front porch and the lawn was complete with a swing and potted ferns and flowered plants.

"How long did we live here?" She whispered.

"We moved in here about a year after we got married."

Nidhi stumbled and would have hit the ground if not for his quick reflexes. "Ma..married? We..you..we are married?"

Ashutosh frowned and then sighed. He should've known she was too dazed the previous day to remember what he told her. "Nidhi..come, let's get you inside first."

She caught hold of his collar. "No. Tell me. Are we married? When did we get married? How can I forget something like that? Have I gone mad? Ashutosh tell me..is there something wrong with me? How can I forget our marriage? Ash.."

Ashutosh pulled her into his arms and hugged her tight, cutting off her words. "Shut up Nidhi. Just shut up." His voice was low as he gritted out. "You are not mad. Your memory will come back. You just need to relax and rebuild your strength. That's all."

"Nidhi beti.."

Nidhi turned her head to see HK running towards them as fast as his legs would carry him. A tremulous laugh escaped her as she stepped away from Ashutosh's arms and took a couple of steps towards HK. "Kaka!"

Tears were running down HK's cheeks unashamedly and he hastily wiped them away before cupping Nidhi's cheeks. "Beti..Bhagwaan ka laakh laakh shukr hain..I never thought I would see a day like this." He took her hands in his and squeezed them. "Ashu..why are you looking at me like that? Bring her inside. I have your room ready. She can rest for a bit and I will get some soup for her."

"Tomato soup with fried bread kaka?"

HK laughed and cried some more. "Yes. Tomato soup with fried bread."

Ashutosh came into the dining area and wearily plopped himself into one of the chairs. HK came out of the kitchen immediately. "She is asleep?"

Ashutosh nodded. Tears pricked his eyelids, and he sucked in a big breath to hold them back. HK came closer and stood staring at his down-bent head. "How is she really Ashu?"

He closed his eyes and tried to speak. "Weak. She..was in a coma..for..six..six months kaka. I thought she was..dead and all the while she was.." He choked back a sob, ashamed to be breaking down in front of HK and hid his face between his bent arms on the table, his grief muffled by his shirt.

Whoa whoa..slow down and no running off as yet. This FF is different. It needs your contribution to take the story forward. I will be waiting for your suggestions for the next chapter along and the reviews for this one.

Edited by Suvika. - 10 years ago
jayasree.rao thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Tasha1994

update ????????????????????

6PM IST
suku_07 thumbnail
Me off to read the chapter...😆
deepali.rock thumbnail