Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

chirpy_life19 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 10 years ago

Originally posted by: dhvanisoni

Since people are talking about incest marriages I would like share something.

I took an immunology course in my last year at the University and gained some detailed knowledge about why is it that the cousin marriages and/or sibling marriages produce weaker offspring or have defects, pregnancy losses and in some cases even cause stillbirths (mom giving birth to a dead baby).
Here is the info if somebody is interested: ( I have tried to write it in the simplest way possible)

There is something called HLA in our bodies which are somewhat like immune cells which help fight disease. These HLA antigens are also used to determine how compatible a donor's organ (say for example, a kidney) is in case of transplants. The more common the HLA antigens the better the recipient will survive.

But, when it comes to pregnancy its kind if the opposite. The more different the HLA antigens are of mom and dad, the better survival rate of the baby. This is because mom's body first recognizes the baby HLAs different and develops an immune response to it. In order to protect the baby the cells at the barrier between the mom n baby produce chemicals to fight back. This prepares the baby to fight back diseases in outside world as well.

Also, another interesting finding is that the more diverse the HLAs are of a male and a female the more attracted the female is to the male's body odour. So, a women is by nature attracted to a man that has least common HLAs and thus producing an offspring that is more viable.

Thanks for sharing this!Got to know something new.😊

Consanguineous marriages are major responsible risk factors for Bipolar disorders. This marriage system has been reported as an important factor in the appearance of autosomal recessive diseases and congenital anomalies, including hydrocephalus, postaxial hand polydactyly and bilateral cleft lip cleft palate, bipolar disorders, depression, dysferlinopathy, reproductive disorders, sterility, infant mortality, child deaths, spontaneous abortions and stillbirths etc. Also there are reports indicating positive association between consanguinity and Down syndrome,heart and lung disorders.
Edited by Cool-n-Fresh - 10 years ago
Stalwart. thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Actually cousin marriages belong to recent past...around 1000 years...

I don't think this was present during Dwapar Yug.

Folk and regional tales add on later to epics depending on the customs of that period.

For eg. In Mahabharat we find wives of slained Yadava rulers committing Sati which was not a practice at that time.We don't find Satyavathi,Ambika,Ambalika,Kunti,Kauravas Wives committing Sati.So practice of Sati was definitely a later addition to the main epic.

I feel Cousin Marriages is also one such adulteration.

amukta thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
@ krirrishnaa. ..from kuru clan Maadri commits sati and dies along with Pandu.
@ rasyafan ..About cousins marriage I was wondering before Dwapurayug may be in Satyayug what about Prajapathi Dakshs(manasa putra of Brahma) daughter Khyati marrying Bhrigu also manasa putra of Brahma..same bloodline same damn Gotra.πŸ˜•.big confusion to me ...Later Kashyap son of Marichi again manasa putra of Brahma marrying Aditi and Diti daughters of Daksh...same Gotra same bloodline...total confusion 😲
So now cousins marriage ..biologically now we all know it is not good and you get weak children and may be also physically challenged kids..but morally when some communities do marry cousins as they think it is right and is the practice in that part of the country how can we say it is wrong..Muslims marry cousins from fathers and mothers side...Rules are different from north and south too.

Edited by amukta - 10 years ago
devashree_h thumbnail
Actually, not just South India, even Maharashtrian communities follow cousin marriages. The girl has to be Mama's daughter and the boy is Bua's son. I have seen many such marriages in Mumbai. But I have my reservations. People should avoid such marriages between close relatives atleast keeping in mind the health of kids from such marriages.
chirpy_life19 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: amukta

@ krirrishnaa. ..from kuru clan Maadri commits sati and dies along with Pandu.

Madri committed Sati out of Guilt but not that it was a custom.Madri believed she is responsible for Pandu's death, as he had been cursed with death if he ever had intercourse. He died while performing the forbidden act with Madri; she blamed herself for not rejecting him, as she knew of the curse.
KHUSHI-99 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
This thread is so appropriate.I have been discussing with so many people
Arjuna and subhadra?????????????πŸ˜•
Krishna -Pandavas(brother,kunti is Krishna's fathers sister)
Krishna-balram -subhad(siblings)
From above 2 we get:
Pandavas-Subhadra(BROTHERS AND SISTERS)
Thus Arjun(pandav) marrying Subhadra
Brother marrying sisterπŸ˜•?????????????????
And that means now Subhadra(Sister) pregnant with Arjun's(brother's child)??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????🀬
afterlife. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Thanks for the thread. Even I wonder how Jadavas let it happen! I'm a Bengali and in our culture cousin marriage or marrying someone part of the family is really a taboo. Got to know from this thread that in AP n TN this custom is still prominent, may be in Vedic age it wasn't a taboo like nowadays. Its still a mystery for me.