Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rasyafan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

Originally posted by: dhvanisoni

Since people are talking about incest marriages I would like share something.

I took an immunology course in my last year at the University and gained some detailed knowledge about why is it that the cousin marriages and/or sibling marriages produce weaker offspring or have defects, pregnancy losses and in some cases even cause stillbirths (mom giving birth to a dead baby).
Here is the info if somebody is interested: ( I have tried to write it in the simplest way possible)

There is something called HLA in our bodies which are somewhat like immune cells which help fight disease. These HLA antigens are also used to determine how compatible a donor's organ (say for example, a kidney) is in case of transplants. The more common the HLA antigens the better the recipient will survive.

But, when it comes to pregnancy its kind if the opposite. The more different the HLA antigens are of mom and dad, the better survival rate of the baby. This is because mom's body first recognizes the baby HLAs different and develops an immune response to it. In order to protect the baby the cells at the barrier between the mom n baby produce chemicals to fight back. This prepares the baby to fight back diseases in outside world as well.

Also, another interesting finding is that the more diverse the HLAs are of a male and a female the more attracted the female is to the male's body odour. So, a women is by nature attracted to a man that has least common HLAs and thus producing an offspring that is more viable.

Wow that's important information you have provided I think people should be taught about this and in schools as well we should have it in our biology subject so that people refrain from marrying relatives with whom they share same blood.

Do you think our sages rishi munis had some knowledge about it??? May be not about HLA but they invented a fantastic system of gotra and varn to keep incest away. Last night I was thinking that there is no other more better way to keep from marrying your blood relatives especially after 7 generation then gotra and varn system. These are excellent systems that even after million of years still exist and working and we can trace our blood relatives and clans wowowowow πŸ‘

Modern science will go to lengthy process of matching blood of the man and woman to find out whether they are relatives, if that is possible. But you just mention your gotra kul varn caste suurname and viola you have your history along with ancestors entire info πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜† Mahan hen hamare rishi muni bhi aaj unki tapasya kitni mehtvpoorn sabit ho rahi hai in each field πŸ‘ koti koti pranam to them 😊

Thanks for such an important information.
rasyafan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: anuramesh26

Actually you cannot marry a person from the same gothra, irrespective if the person is your relative or outsider. So automatically a woman's gothra changes to her husbands' after marriage. And moreover, one is allowed to marry their maternal uncle's (mamaji) daughter or son. And paternal aunt's (bua ji) daughter or son. This was / is the hindu custom. Hence arjun and subhadra's marriage was correct.

If they have same pitra gotra then marriage cannot take place within same gotra but in guru gotra marriage takes place like in our community of Arora our gotra is kashyap and I am arora I married an arora who's gotra is same kashyap and from centuries aroras marry aroras within same gotra kashyap but our surnames have to be diffeent like mine is chauthani my husbands is rajpal aroras are many chawla sachdev mahrotra malhotra it works like this but in south india you are right such marriages take place as girl's gotra changes or girl is marrying into ddifferent gotra but blood is same of both girl and boy. Different beliefs are prevalent in different communities.

Subhadra was a yadav a vrishini and they do have such marriages both Krishn and Subhadra married their first cousins and had chidlren.

Edited by rasyafan - 10 years ago
Sweet_Krishna thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
When I inquired my South Indian friends regarding the cousin marriage and even uncle - niece marriage, they said it was practised to keep the family property ( land and wealth ) within the clan. So that essential means that even maternal uncle is a part of the clan.But what is surprising is that property is more important than anything elseπŸ˜•. Moreover, there were indeed some tribes in those days who practised inbreeding mostly to keep their bloodline pure like shakyas, yadavas etc.
Even today Yadavs marry among Yadavs only.
The laws of Manu and Vedas do not support such marriages but I guess these close knit societies had their own norms..

For most of the North Indians, excluding seven generations from paternal side and five generations from maternal side takes precedence over gothra and pinda.
We are the same gothra from paternal and maternal side but we are not sapinda and we observe the 7 generation exclusion.
chirpy_life19 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

A priest in a temple near our house mentioned that the gotras etc. are read before wedding to ensure that the bride and groom donot get related to each other from their great great grand fathers.If any such relation is present the girl and boy will be considered as brother and sister hence marriage is impossible! according to the Vedic Dharma.
He said in warrior class marriages the Gotra Muni of the Bride and Groom must be different.

It is said our Shastras indicate that marriage is a Sambandha - Sam = New,Bandha = Relation...It is aimed at acheiving a new relation but cannot develop when there is a blood relation.

Edited by Cool-n-Fresh - 10 years ago
chirpy_life19 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Best Example for the above mentioned relation is Sita Ram Vivaah.😊
Edited by Cool-n-Fresh - 10 years ago
who am i??? thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Marriages between brothers kids or sisters kids is incest.
But marriage between kids of brother and sister is followed still in india. So in this case kunti and vasudev are siblings and there kids Arjun and subhadra are very much legible to get married. In south india Arjun is subhadras bava ,they have bava mardallu relationship and such marriages are very much accepted.
413226 thumbnail
am really shocked that this is also practiced in some parts of india

In south India basically in north it is strictly banned I am sure you must have heard of Khap who kill anybody if they marry within gotra or inter caste in the name of honour killing in fact in our villages all the chidlren girls or boys are considered siblings therefore marriage within a village is also not aloud.
The khaaps have taken it to the other extreme. They wont allow girls and boys to mingle, they wouldnt allow marriges within the same village ...how the heck are the young ones to get to know ach other in that case? Perhaps it is a way to check that love marriages do not occur.
413226 thumbnail

Originally posted by: poseidon2

well maybe the highly pious chromosomes of the dwapar yug showed affection only towards mausi and chacha and discriminated against bua and mama.\

however the paapi chromosomes of this ghor kaliyug definitely dont discriminate against bua and mama and treat all 4 first cousins at the same level.

ghor kaliyugπŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺπŸ€ͺ

Yes they only understand the God made genetic codes and not the man-made social codes πŸ˜†
413226 thumbnail

Originally posted by: dhvanisoni

Since people are talking about incest marriages I would like share something.

I took an immunology course in my last year at the University and gained some detailed knowledge about why is it that the cousin marriages and/or sibling marriages produce weaker offspring or have defects, pregnancy losses and in some cases even cause stillbirths (mom giving birth to a dead baby).
Here is the info if somebody is interested: ( I have tried to write it in the simplest way possible)

There is something called HLA in our bodies which are somewhat like immune cells which help fight disease. These HLA antigens are also used to determine how compatible a donor's organ (say for example, a kidney) is in case of transplants. The more common the HLA antigens the better the recipient will survive.

But, when it comes to pregnancy its kind if the opposite. The more different the HLA antigens are of mom and dad, the better survival rate of the baby. This is because mom's body first recognizes the baby HLAs different and develops an immune response to it. In order to protect the baby the cells at the barrier between the mom n baby produce chemicals to fight back. This prepares the baby to fight back diseases in outside world as well.

Also, another interesting finding is that the more diverse the HLAs are of a male and a female the more attracted the female is to the male's body odour. So, a women is by nature attracted to a man that has least common HLAs and thus producing an offspring that is more viable.

Its amazing how nature seems to have an innate understanding of whats beneficialand whats not.
When close relatives get married there is more probability of similar genes being carried in corresponding chromosomes as possibility of having inherited it from a common ancestor is higher. Normally when the genes are dissimilar the dominant gene (usually on with the beneficial trait ) gets expressed in preference to the recessive (usually the non beneficial trait). In blood relatives as chances of both the genes being recessive (homologous recessive) is higher the probability of the unwanted trait being expressed in the baby is increased. Therefore, mothers side or fathers, it makes a lot of sense to treat cousins ( seen as eligible spouses) equally from a scientific POV to avoid genetic diseases. In short, it is in the interest of the future generation of that family to avoid marriagesbetween close blood relatives from maternal as well as paternal side.
...Diala... thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
MB happened in North and these rules that we follow today were with all possibilities followed more strictly then.. Only possibility I see is Kunti being given away as adoption might have erased her relationship with Vasudeva.. But her paternal and foster fathers were related too πŸ˜•..