Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-Spice- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 10 years ago

Originally posted by: poseidon2

oh well , then by the same logic if 2 sisters go in different homes so obviously they are also no more a part of the same family. then how do you find it acceptable

We need not accept it for ourselves .. She / he just wrote what's happening in some parts of the country..
rasyafan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: -Spice-

I think more than relationship they used to consider 'gothra' .. Means bloodlines I think.. Don't know the exact translation.. U cannot marry within a Gothra ... Possible only if the guy's n girl's gothras are different... N after marriage the girl belongs to he hsband's Gothra...

As for Arjuna's n Subhadra's marriage not sure abt the rules at that era or is something is mentioned in the Puranas

yes gotra means a lot in hindu marriages there are two type of gotras pitra gotra and guru gotra
pitra gotra is where the ancestor is thru same bloodline

and guru gotra is where the guru is ancestor like kashyap gotra here the ancestor is rishi kashyap, or bhardwaj gotra also follow their gurus

in pitra gotra we cannot marry in same gotra but in guru gotra we can mary in same gotra like people who are aroras their gotra is kashyap so aroras marry with aroras but their surname would be different like chauthanis or sachdev chawla or mahrotra etc

but this also depends upon different communities. In south India cross marriages are aloud like a sister's daughter can marry her's brothers son a brother's daughter can marry sister's son this is cross marriages in south indian communities are aloud.

Like in muslims even parallel marriages are aloud which is not aloud among hindus.

Subhadra and Arjun were first cousins in subhadra's communities this was aloud in yadav clans. where as in kuru clan it was not aloud from which Arjun came.

Shri krishn also married one of his first cousin I have mentioned above. As he was a yadav he was aloud to do that he also kidnapped her with help of Balram 😆😆😆 so they married.

India is a country of millions of communities each follow their own traditions their own rituals that is why there is a lot of confusion 😕😕😕

shivpriya thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
it might be an acceptable practice among royal families, in order to avoid fusion of the royal blood with other caste/status. like Gautam Buddha had married yashodhara who was his bua's daughter. they belonged to the same Shakya clan and that clan preferred marrying within their clan only. though this example is more recent as compared 2 Mahabharata, but I thought it could be the same reason during MB dyz.
rakshaanra thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
in Fiji, cousin marriages happen in South Indians as well as Moslems

we always consider our cousin brothers as our blood brothers, tie rakhi
and get gifts,

But I always had this doubt re Arjuna: Subhadra

on the other hand see Kansa and Devaki, they were cousins but Kansa did NOT marry her, rather he was addressing her as sister throughout
rasyafan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: rakshaanra

in Fiji, cousin marriages happen in South Indians as well as Moslems

we always consider our cousin brothers as our blood brothers, tie rakhi
and get gifts,

But I always had this doubt re Arjuna: Subhadra

on the other hand see Kansa and Devaki, they were cousins but Kansa did NOT marry her, rather he was addressing her as sister throughout

it all depends how you take your relationships after all.but in case of Kans and devki they were cousins from same blood line Though Ugrasen was not biological father of Kans but was considered his father. Devki was Ugrasen's younger brothers daughter. therefore even if Kans was real son of ugrasen then also there could never have been a marriage alliance between them.

Kans's mother was seduced by a demon after he took ugrasen's form her husband then kans was conceived I don't know how Ugrasen adopted him or if he ever forgave his wife but it's sounds like an interesting story 😆
rakshaanra thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: rasyafan

it all depends how you take your relationships after all.but in case of Kans and devki they were cousins from same blood line Though Ugrasen was not biological father of Kans but was considered his father. Devki was Ugrasen's younger brothers daughter. therefore even if Kans was real son of ugrasen then also there could never have been a marriage alliance between them.

Kans's mother was seduced by a demon after he took ugrasen's form her husband then kans was conceived I don't know how Ugrasen adopted him or if he ever forgave his wife but it's sounds like an interesting story 😆

mindblowing story yaar!

they should start a serial : Kansa the Mama...⭐️

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: poseidon2

oh well , then by the same logic if 2 sisters go in different homes so obviously they are also no more a part of the same family. then how do you find it acceptable

I am not talking about my belief, I am talking about what the Vedas condone in terms of cousin marriage. Even though sisters may go to different houses, the marriage between their children is not condoned because a mother's sister is like one's own mother, making her children one's own siblings, but a mother's brother is never considered one's father, so his children too are not considered one's siblings.

But this does differ from region to region. This is more prominent in South India now.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: rakshaanra

That is because Kamsa and Devaki were the children of two brothers, so they were considered siblings. The children of two brothers or two sisters can never marry in any sect or community of Hinduism. It is only the children or a brother and sister who can marry.

There is actually a verse in the Bhagwat Purana, when Kamsa is about to take Yogmaya from Devaki, in which she asks him to spare the girl since she is like his daughter-in-law, and when she grows older he can get her married to his son.
Sweet_Krishna thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
As far as I know, Vedas do not sanction cousin marriages.And we see these incidents in mahabharat. I do not recall any such things in Ramayan. The thumb rule in our society is that boy and girl should not be related to each other for seven generations on the paternal side and for five generations on maternal side.This is what our pandit says has been ordained in scriptures.And if this is violated then those families are boycotted.
And for us ,mother's siblings whether uncle or aunt are considered as mother. We address maternal uncle as "mama" or "maatul" ( like mother ) and maternal aunt as "mausi" ( like mother ) so they all represent our mother. Hence their kids are our siblings.
May be in South India and some societies different practices are followed.

413226 thumbnail

Originally posted by: JanakiRaghunath

Cousin marries were very much acceptable in the olden days. It is only in recent times that cousin marriages have become taboo, so it may be a bit difficult for some people to see it in mythological shows, but there are many examples of it in several puranas. The Vedas too condone it, except for certain cousin marriages. The marriage between children of two sisters or two brothers is absolutely prohibited, because they are seen as siblings, but the marriage between children of a brother and sister is acceptable, because once the sister is married off an goes to another home, she or her children are no longer considered a part of the "family" so the marriage between her children and her brother's children is acceptable.

In fact, cousin marriages still happen in some parts of India, especially in the South. They are prominent in states like Tamil Nadu and Andhra Pradesh. Some of my own cousins married each other so it's not taboo in our family.

MB is full of contradictions. On one hand we have examples of high tech pregnancy and births in the form of cloning, IVFs, surrogacy which demand deep knowledge in genetics while on the other we have customs that go exactly contrary to what genetic experts would advise- to shun marriages amongst close relatives to prevent recessive disorders in the progeny. sisters getting a different surname after marriage does not change their genetic make up! Changing of the surname is just a man made custom and has no scientific basis for considering it "proper" to marry amongst blood relatives with dissimilar surnames!
Even if it was being done in ancient times presumably due to ignorance I wonder what the excuse is for continuing it in this age when there is sufficient knoweldge and evidence for its adverse effects. Could it simply be due to the fact that people find comfort in following the beaten track 😕