MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 10 years ago
Han? but the film was not touted to be religious in the first place? 😕
MakhannMalaai thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 5

Originally posted by: Amara_B

My problem with MSAH was never the fact that Mahnoor was dressed skimpily, or that there was an item song. I hated the fact that they duped Afridi into agreeing to a film that was pitched to him as 'wholesome entertainment' and then went ahead and incorporated completely unwholesome content into it.

I think it's extremely unethical to manipulate the information you choose to reveal to the subject of your film, in order to get them to give you the green light, and then throw all that out of the window and just do what you want to do irrespective of how much it goes against the subject of your films nature.

Everyone knows Afridi is a religious guy, who likes to stick to his principles. Hence it's not too far a stretch of expectations to believe Humayun would take this into account when producing a film that (1) talks about how Afridi inspires people and (2) uses both Afridi's name and image as it's biggest selling point.

When someone agrees to let you use their name and image you take on the responsibility of ensuring that name/image is not tarnished in any way, and have an obligation to produce content that is truthful to the nature of that name/image.

By choosing to incorporate those things into the film Humayun, went against everything an ethical and professional individual would do. Especially as the film would have been fine without those things, they were merely incorporated to make the big bucks. Which makes it even worse.

I have never had much respect for Humayun because he's always come across as a pervert, a 'jack the lad' who has zero respect for women. But after this movie I can categorically say that I do not like the man at all.

It's not about dressing a certain way or producing a certain type of film. It's about having the decency to act in an ethical and moral fashion.

If Humayun made a film with Mahnoor in a skimpy outfit, and an item song, that did not use the name and image of a man who is not ok with such things as it's biggest selling point, I wouldn't have cared at all. I wouldn't have watched it, but I wouldn't have cared either. As I'm sure most people wouldn't have.

I hate Khuda Ke Liye for similar reasons. Except Khuda Ke Liye is 100 times worse because it actually manipulates Islamic facts to serve it's own purpose. Which is quite horrifying.

There are ways of doing things, and Humayun Saeed and Shoaib Mansoor always choose the unethical ways.

I'm very sorry but whatever you're saying does not make any sense to me..

I think the film was good and did not manipulate anyone or anything.. It was not made on Shahid Afridi.. the protagonist wanted to be like Shahid Afridi the player and not Shahid Afridi the person.. did you watch the movie?
Amara_B thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: -MakhanMalaai-

I'm very sorry but whatever you're saying does not make any sense to me..

I think the film was good and did not manipulate anyone or anything.. It was not made on Shahid Afridi.. the protagonist wanted to be like Shahid Afridi the player and not Shahid Afridi the person.. did you watch the movie?

I'm not saying the film was about Afridi or religion, I'm saying the films biggest selling point was Afridi's name and image. When someone gives you permission to use their name and image under certain guidelines, you are morally and ethically obligated to adhere to those guidelines and be mindful of avoiding [potentially] tarnishing the image of said individual.

That's just human decency.

If the movie used Wasim Akram's name and image, there wouldn't be an issue because he has a different set of values, a different image, a different way of life, and most probably wouldn't be bothered with his name being associated with item songs, and revealing clothes.

The bottom line is. If you request the use of someones name and image, and they grant you permission after setting certain guidelines, you should be responsible in how you use that persons name and image. I.e. do not associate it with anything you know said person would not be happy with.

It's just basic manners.
Edited by Amara_B - 10 years ago