Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

whitewitch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 10 years ago

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

^^^ Actually, Mahabharata has nothing about Duryodhan or Balarama's desires. It's there in Shrimad Bhagvatam.

In SB too, Duryodhan didn't make any request, nor did he know about it. It was Balarama who wanted to give Subhadra to him, since he was his favorite. Krishna didn't like the idea, and so he gave Arjun the idea of abducting & marrying her.

It was important, b'cos had Subhadra married Duryodhan, Krishna would have been forced to side completely w/ the Kauravas. As it is, he had to split his contributions, thanks to Samba forcibly marrying Lakshmanaa.

But one thing - Arjun had just 4 wives, which certainly didn't make him someone who's greatest achievement, aside from warfare, was marriage, as some critiques sometimes observe. It was common for princes to have 10 or even more wives - however many they thought they could handle. Leaving aside Krishna, Vasudev had 8 wives. Arjun's number - 4 - was barely 1 more than Bhima (3), 2 more than YNS (2). Of these 4, Chitrangada's son was like Bahlika - inherited his maternal kingdom, and took no part in the war, so was useless to him.

but after war when yudishter conducted ashawameda arjun was the protcter of horse. when the horse entered manipur babruvahana captured it.
a fight broke down between farther and son and he killed arjuna without knowing the reality.
later ulopi saves arjuna .
it was said ganga gifted a deadly weapon to babruvahana in order to take revenge of death of her son bheshma. and he used it against arjuna
BabyHimavari thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
in bengal... there is really a beautiful story about chitrangada... actually it is a dance drama writen by great rabindranath tagore... wanna share this story with all...
Chitrngad is the only child of the King of Manipura. Being the heir to the throne, she dresses like a man and is the protector of the land. Her people look to her to keep them safe. One day, she meets Arjuna and, seeing him in action as he hunts in the forest, she falls in love. Arjuna is impressed by her fighting abilities but all along believes her to be a man. Chitrngad believes he could never love her the way she is. She receives a boon from Kamadeva, Hindu god of love, and transforms herself into a beautiful feminine woman. When she meetsArjuna again, he can't help but fall in love with her. Though she believes that she has everything she wants in life, deep down she wishes that he could love her for her true self. When marauders come into her kingdom to take over the villages, Arjuna learns from the people of the kingdom that their princess is the greatest warrior around and they wonder why she isn't there to help protect them now. Arjuna is impressed by the story of this woman who seems to be his equal when it comes to fighting and longs to meet her. Chitrngad appears and saves her kingdom before revealing her true self to Arjuna. No longer in love with her just for her beauty, Arjuna marries Chitrngad. They have a son named Babruvahana.
this is the story of chitrangada from dance dramma chitrangada😊
source: wikipedia
Edited by ifians - 10 years ago
whitewitch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 4

Originally posted by: poseidon2

i always wonder why uloopi didnt restore the life of her own son iravan on his death ? why didnt she use the stone when it was the right time

it was predicted to win the battle pandavas need to sacrifice a man with all good qulites.
only 3 such persons were exsited
one lord krishna
two arjuna
three iravan
well other two can not be sacificed iravan was the obious choice.
but i too think why ulopi didnt use to save her own sons life
varaali thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2

how can you say that babruvahana was USELESS to arjun. i guess he was smart enough and not an emotional fool like iravan who sacrificed his life and in return got nothing.

arjun was highly biased and partial father. he took a terrible vow of killing himself after abhimanyu's death , not even thinking that it will devastate the pandavas forever. however on iravan's death i dont think he bothered also much.

so anyone who didnt participate in the war was USELESS ? some day some people will even say that lord balram was also useless and did nothing for pandavas.

Oh God- you do have a knack of taking words out of context isn't it?

What Vrish meant is that Babruvahana was only a biological son of Arjuna. When he was three years old, Arjuna transferred all his rights on the child to his grandfather. Legally and socially, Baruvahana was his maternal grandfather's heir - not Arjuna's.

So according to you Iravan - the brave son of Uloopi was an "emotional fool"? So what should a loyal son do- not do his father's bidding?

Arjuna specifically asks Iravana- (when the latter meets him for the first time) - should there be a war, I want you to fight alongside me in that war. Can there be a greater honour for a son of Arjuna?

Sorry- Iravan was not an emotional fool- it seems to you are one.
Edited by varaali - 10 years ago
varaali thumbnail
Barbareek is a highly questionable story. It is not in the main MB.
It is one of those legends which got added over a period of time and it's popularity was because of its gruesomeness. There are several gaping loopholes in that story and it's authenticity can certainly be questioned.
varaali thumbnail
Arjuna does indeed mourn Iravana's death.

The reason he was so worked up with Abhimanyu's death was the manner in which the young lad was killed. Had Abhimany been killed in a fair fight, Arjuna would not have taken it to heart so much.

Yes he did take a terrible vow- but that was when the battle was at its peak and emotions were running high.

Second- Bhima does not crawl back to the fallen draupadi during their Swargarohan. Here is the relevant section from the MB

As those mighty ones were proceeding quickly, all rapt in Yoga, Yajnaseni, falling of from Yoga, dropped down on the Earth. Beholding her fallen down, Bhimasena of great strength addressed king Yudhishthira the just, saying, O scorcher of foes, this princess never did any sinful act. Tell us what the cause is for which Krishna has fallen down on the Earth!'

Bhima asks the same question when each of his brothers also fall down.

There's nothing to suggest that Arjuna was more partial towards one wife over another. If it were so, why Would Draupadi- according to Yudi- be more devoted to Arjuna than the others?

varaali thumbnail

fighting for kingdom and property was the basic aim of mb war. such fights happen even today among brothers.
people fight for property and wealth for what ? to keep that wealth for their own sons and grandsons. but if in the fight , you sacrifice your own sons , then what is even the use of the victory.

If that had been the case, no warrior from the younger generation would have participated in the war. But they did. They were following the Kshatriya Dhrama- which to them was more important than property or wealth.
varaali thumbnail

Originally posted by: Atiratha

Dont blame each other.. It was Arjuna who was emotional..
Look at him upon hearing Abhimayu's death! Make oath n crying.. He didn't even bother about Iravan's death. And why blamed somebody for that? Its a war, and Abhimanyu penetrated enemy's defence!

Example, we're playing football, i managed to reach the last line of enemy's defender, let's say there were 4 of them!can I expect them to face me one on one?
"C'mon u fool I'm just a single striker here, and you are 4 + 1 goalkeeper!act like a true gentleman! Let me face the goalkeeper alone!"
They'll laugh at me for sure! And who'll get THE RED CARD if I was injured due to enemy's tackles?
Guess what? Not even any of the 4 defender & 1 goalkeeper, BUT THE DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER FAR BEHIND WHO LET ME PASS ALONE AND BLOCKED THE MOVEMENT OF MY TEAMMATES :V

And how many SON, HUSBAND, FIANCEE, FATHER did Arjun kill everyday in Kurukshetra? Majority of them are infatries on foot, while Arjun was on his chariot! Why suddenly only his own son became important?

@blue: If tomorrow FIFA comes up with new rules that a striker with a ball can be met with only one defender, you will then follow that rule, isn't it?

Similarly, rules were set for the MB war too. And according to those rules multiple warriors cannot attack a single warrior.

This was Dwapara Yuga Kauravas- vs- Pandavas.

Not Arsenal vs Manchester Utd.
Manojie thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: .Vrish.

^^^ Actually, Mahabharata has nothing about Duryodhan or Balarama's desires. It's there in Shrimad Bhagvatam.

In SB too, Duryodhan didn't make any request, nor did he know about it. It was Balarama who wanted to give Subhadra to him, since he was his favorite. Krishna didn't like the idea, and so he gave Arjun the idea of abducting & marrying her.

It was important, b'cos had Subhadra married Duryodhan, Krishna would have been forced to side completely w/ the Kauravas. As it is, he had to split his contributions, thanks to Samba forcibly marrying Lakshmanaa.

But one thing - Arjun had just 4 wives, which certainly didn't make him someone who's greatest achievement, aside from warfare, was marriage, as some critiques sometimes observe. It was common for princes to have 10 or even more wives - however many they thought they could handle. Leaving aside Krishna, Vasudev had 8 wives. Arjun's number - 4 - was barely 1 more than Bhima (3), 2 more than YNS (2). Of these 4, Chitrangada's son was like Bahlika - inherited his maternal kingdom, and took no part in the war, so was useless to him.

Thanks for correcting me! This is the result of watching TV shows and them distorting it 😆
Vr15h thumbnail
IPL 2024 Participants 2 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

how can you say that babruvahana was USELESS to arjun. i guess he was smart enough and not an emotional fool like iravan who sacrificed his life and in return got nothing.

arjun was highly biased and partial father. he took a terrible vow of killing himself after abhimanyu's death , not even thinking that it will devastate the pandavas forever. however on iravan's death i dont think he bothered also much.

so anyone who didnt participate in the war was USELESS ? some day some people will even say that lord balram was also useless and did nothing for pandavas.

By USELESS, I meant that Babruvahana was not morally obligated to take part in the war, and therefore didn't, for whatever reason.

Actually, when Arjun asked Chitravahana - Chitrangada's father - for her hand in marriage, the condition under which it was given to him was that since Chitrangada was his only child and he had no sons, her son would be his grandson in terms of legal succession. As a result, Babruvahana was not considered a part of the Pandava dynasty. As Varaali mentioned, the duties of doing Arjun's last rites would have been Parikshit's, but not Babruvahana's.

He was an independent ruler, and could have decided to join the war on his father's side, like Iravana. I don't hold it against him that he didn't - not everybody had an interest in who won, and even some who did, like Shalya, were tricked into joining the wrong side. So Babruvahana was dear to Arjun, which is why the latter encouraged him to fight him, rather than simply surrender out of filial loyalty, even though Arjun valued those rulers who simply submitted.

About Balarama, not only was he useless to the Pandavas, he was even pro-Kaurava. While in Udyog Parva, it's mentioned that he told both Duryodhan & Arjun that he didn't favor either side, in Shalya Parva, when he arrives @ the scene of Bhima-Duryodhan's battle, it's mentioned that he actually urged Krishna to join the war on the Kaurava side. Balarama was otherwise a fine character, but his one weakness was his blind love for Duryodhan, which probably rivalled Gandhari's.