Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Shona* thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 17 years ago

Originally posted by: jprasad

I think John Abraham is good looking and if he ever came to me for help well his good looks would give him an edge over everyone including my non existent doggy.

๐Ÿ˜† JP!!! omg ur just too good.๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

waise I agree with all points that Aparna di & Tanaz raised. Good looks do matter in jobs that require a lot of contact with influential people/customers, etc ... Office jobs or telemarketing jobs dont require them too much ... but looking professional & well groomed can always help.๐Ÿ˜Š

sk91 thumbnail

I think John Abraham is good looking and if he ever came to me for help well his good looks would give him an edge over everyone including my non existent doggy.

That was really funny. ๐Ÿ˜†

I think it depends on both. You don't have to look like a model but you just have to be presentable. Seriously if you show up to an interview in jeans you're not gonna get the job. Other wise as long as you don't act like an idiot you can probably get most places. However I'm not in any working industry so I can't really say.

In parking tickets it has been debated in the news that pretty girls are given just warnings when they should get a ticket since they flirt with the officer.

So meh, it can really swing anyway.
insouciance thumbnail

Originally posted by: abhijit shukla

Oh Buffie,
How do I disagree with thee...let me count the ways!
FIrst of all you have to have something to work with in a glamour shop. Like they say, beauticians are beauticians, not magicians.

Yup,I never said a mediocre looking woman can be metamorphosed into an Aishwarya Rai..But makeovers do help,and it helps everyone....It might not make an ordinary looking woman  a siren overnight,but there is definitely going to be an improvement,atleast as much its needed to be called "glamourous"

Atleast they can look as good as Pooja Bedi,and isnt that enough๐Ÿ˜•

Second, Priyanka is decidedly beautiful...in par with Madhubala and Rekha, Madhduri and Smita Patil..she has just gone overboard with collagen in the lips, is all.

Didnt you tell me,beauty is in the eye of the beholder๐Ÿ˜›..Personally i find Tara Sharma and Dia Mirza and Vidya Balan more pretty than the Priyankas,the Esha Deols and the Sohas...I maintain my stance that Priyanka is very ordinary looking,but has a great body and good height and most importantly the devil's luck

Finally it is not all-or-none in looks/talent department, a looks will not get an idiot a job as a GM but between two marginally talented candidates a 'hottie' as you describe it, is more likely to get a coveted position.

insouciance thumbnail

OMG๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

Aparna_BD thumbnail

Originally posted by: Buffie

Yup,I never said a mediocre looking woman can be metamorphosed into an Aishwarya Rai..But makeovers do help,and it helps everyone....It might not make an ordinary looking woman  a siren overnight,but there is definitely going to be an improvement,atleast as much its needed to be called "glamourous"

Atleast they can look as good as Pooja Bedi,and isnt that enough๐Ÿ˜•

I agree with Buffie here Abhijeet. If you see one show called "make over" that comes here in the US they take ordinary, plan looking people and transform them into glamorous, attractive looking women.

So its possible to make the most plain looking person look good with advice on beauty, make up, dressing sense and learnt "style" !๐Ÿ˜Š

Rindam thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I think one has to look sharp, not glamourous to gain an edge, it is a bonus (if all other criteria apply, experiance, acumen and fit into the team)-

Post the interview stage I've seen many technical people ( I couldnt talk for PR or customer support folks) not really dress-up to work.

But I do know a BIL who dresses up like nuts, stark white shirts well ironed and his tie (very boring ones) and trousers. All this ironing business takes well beyond half hour. Immediately on getting to the hospital he heads to his room to change into scrubs ๐Ÿ˜†, within ten minutes ๐Ÿ˜†.

I myself as a customer would go an experianced doctor and it would be a bonus if he or she was pleasant. But I'd pick an old crusty doc who was among the best than a good looking hottie who is good but not the best.
RandomSquared thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
looks do matter, but its more like how you marry ur looks. Like your attitude is what matters more. If you carry urslef confidently, ppl notice u Edited by Desi Pride - 17 years ago
insouciance thumbnail

Originally posted by: abhijit shukla

BTW, it is my personal bias that I find only intelligent people beautiful/attractive (It is necessary but not sufficient). Hence Priyanka and Vidya...they come off as good looking and fairly intelligent. I am in no position to judge Diya (I have not given her an IQ test) but for some reason, she doesn't. Thhis is just my bias though.

and that was exactly my point๐Ÿ˜†...People do not look only at looks..they do look at the smartness too...I too find Priyanka chopra to be a very affable girl,who is quite down to earth and "real" in her interviews(unlike Ash and Kareena)....I do like her,but I wouldnt call her beautiful.....ANd isnt it more important to be called grounded,talented etc rather than to be called beautiful....

Priyanka Chopra today is more successful than girls like Diya (and both priyanka and diya started off togerher)..and that's mainly because of her acting prowess(priyanka's a great actress).......Looks alone do not matter,infact even to be called bautiful,it needs something else too๐Ÿ˜‰(as in your case where you look at intelligence)

people look at the entie personality these days,and a not so conventionally good looking person can have a great personality(a ka SRK)...and we have so many good looking men/women who couldnt make it big,even in movies(like jugal hansraj and kumar gaurav)....Looks perhaps might give an extra edge in fields like modelling and movies,but to sustain the success,one needs to be talented/hard working and focussed

Makeovers have done wonders as in the cases of ordinary looking people like the indian idol,fame gurukul contestants....

Edited by Buffie - 17 years ago
Aparna_BD thumbnail
Buffie we aren't discussing what eventually matters. I agree its nature, intelligence that matters yada yada yada !!!

We are talking of does good looks open doors for you which an average looking person finds it difficult to get that door to open.

I do say "Yes " !

Reminds me of your fav show and the one i liked to at the start.............yup !! JJKN !! Although the mean behaviour of people towards Jassi was an exageration but a reality.