Dianne thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago

While I acknowledge that Simran's character is definitely projected as a courageous woman in the face of life's obstacles, for me, I also see some instances that I would describe as being weak and cowardly.

We know that she is a success in her career field, bold and determined to fight for justice, especially where others are concerned, an obedient daughter and a role model sister.

But other than that, I wonder if her actions in her own personal life can really be described as being a 'strong woman'. Love is the most passionate emotion of all, when you love someone, you will do all in your power to ensure that person stays in your life. In a real life situation, if a man decides to cheat on his wife, is she a strong woman if she just leaves him to his own devices? If she just accepts in and silently looks on, hurt and despaired, while he engages in a torrid love affair?

I think her character portrays alot of sophistication by not getting into a verbal of physical battle with anyone, even though she has been provoked beyond words by Kiran and Abhi's mother. Did she ever, for once, stand up for herself? But sophistication itself, while an admirable trait, it is still not strength.

She has let herself be a doormat for Abhi, she has allowed herself to be walked on, used and gotten rejected. She knew she had developed renewed feelings for Abhi before he got married to Neha, just she was a coward and hid those feelings....so she sacrificed her love and her need for another woman to benefit. How stupid is that? What did she gain from it? In the end, Neha still accused her of the worst, Radha thinks she killed her daughter and now Astha is throwing it back on her face.

Is it also of good character for Simran to be a constant presence in Neha and Abhi's marriage? We know that no one in their right mind would accept that. An ex wife is just that...an ex...in the past.....when a man remarries, his loyalty and devotion should be to his new wife. Neha really and truly should not have to put up with Simran's constant phonecalls and visits to and from their house. I think she tried, but any woman in that situation would have a hard time dealing with a meddling ex.

I also did not like that fact that she renamed Gudiya as Astha. If one has a much loved child, and that child is taken away, won't you want to preserve the identity of that child? Do you think another child will replace her? By renaming Gudiya as Astha, it is an insult to the real Astha's birth.

It would be a good change for Simran to show a little backbone and stand up for herself some more.