Shakuni and Manthara

shivpriya thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Just noticed some similarities between these two. Shakuni and Manthara both have been responsible for triggering two greatest epics- Mahabharat and Ramayan respectively. Both had some physical disabilities. Both were cunning and skilled in brain-washing. Both were not direct members of the families they ruined! Both did it for the benefit of their own sister/queen/relative etc. Shakuni wanted revenge for his family/sister, while Manthara did it out of jealousy and also care towards Kaikeyi. Though I do not like them at all and I think they are the real culprits for causing so much of destruction, but I still believe they owe the respect and credit for bestowing on us- these 2 great epics which are now an integral part of our knowledge and cultural heritage. Agree? 😉

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

rasyafan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: shivpriya

Just noticed some similarities between these two. Shakuni and Manthara both have been responsible for triggering two greatest epics- Mahabharat and Ramayan respectively. Both had some physical disabilities. Both were cunning and skilled in brain-washing. Both were not direct members of the families they ruined! Both did it for the benefit of their own sister/queen/relative etc. Shakuni wanted revenge for his family/sister, while Manthara did it out of jealousy and also care towards Kaikeyi. Though I do not like them at all and I think they are the real culprits for causing so much of destruction, but I still believe they owe the respect and credit for bestowing on us- these 2 great epics which are now an integral part of our knowledge and cultural heritage. Agree? 😉

agreed 😆 nice observation 👍🏼
Edited by rasyafan - 11 years ago
lovesunshine thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
i agree...
just that in the end Manthara felt real remorse for her acts...but shakuni till he died did not feel any remorse for what he did...

thats the difference between a woman and a man..women are greater 😊
amukta thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
You won't believe I was just thinking of this and looks like you read my thoughts.Both evil characters created by Ved Vyas and Valmiki.They are made for each other .Who knows May be Mandira. From Tretayug is born in the form of Sakuni in Dwapar Yug ..anything is possible..just imagining .
Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Manthara wanted Bharat to be the king and was jealous of Ram. Same in Shakuni's case, Duryodhan and not Yudhishthir. Everyone's aware of the difference between Bharat and Duryodhan 😆
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: lovesunshine

i agree...
just that in the end Manthara felt real remorse for her acts...but shakuni till he died did not feel any remorse for what he did...

thats the difference between a woman and a man..women are greater 😊

It doesn't say in any popular sources of Ramayan that Manthara felt remorse. It's a folk story that she did, but as far as Valmiki was concerned, she hated Ram till the end of her life.

Btw, I would keep away from gender biases like "Women are greater", since there are men in this forum too. 😳 We don't want to hurt anyone. Both genders are equal.
lovesunshine thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Manthara was very conscious of her appearance becoz she was hunched back.

Read this folk story related to her -
Queen Kaikeyi's bedroom was like heaven on earth. Located at the top of a tower with open balconies on either side, the bedroom was open to the night air. Practically all of Ayodhya could be seen from the tower. Once Manthara had finished washing her mistress's hair, Queen Kaikeyi dismissed her for the night. With her duties finished, the hunchback dragged herself back to her living quarters. These days Manthara spent most of her time caged within Dasaratha's palace. The walls of the palace looked as though they were made from beautifully sculpted ivory and were encrusted with rare jewels. So beautiful! At this time of night, the royal hallways would be as dark as the inside a cave if they were not illuminated by oil lamps. The flickering flames of the lamps reflected off of the rubies in walls and sparkled with a divine beauty that surpassed even the night sky. All these luxuries served not to cure Manthara's depression, but reinforce it. Manthara was Queen Kaikeyi's personal maid and a gruesome hunchback. She often cursed the gods for her woeful karma. No crime committed in a previous life could have warranted a punishment like this! She lived in the finest of palaces but was nothing more than a poor maid. She looked after the most beautiful woman in Ayodhya"Queen Kaikeyi, whose divine features made men swoon"but was herself a hideous malformation. When she got to her room, Manthara rolled into her cot and went to bed--more depressed than ever.

The next day, Manthara was asked to look after the children as they played in the large courtyard. She reluctantly abandoned her usual chores to do so. The space was lined with lush grass and beautifully maintained. Dasaratha, who but five years ago longed to have a single son, now had too many sons to count. Manthara observed as they ran and played. They fought epic battles using their imaginations, play arrows, and wooden swords. When two of Dasaratha's favorite sons, Rama and Bharata, began getting too rough, Manthara intervened. Angry that a petty servant was giving him orders, Rama shot her in the back with a play arrow, and cursed her hideous form. Distraught and bawling, Manthara ran to her living quarters. Rama was awestruck. He had no idea his actions carried so much weight. Wrought with remorse, he swore to always show kindness to all beings, no matter how small or unimportant they may seem. Back in her room, Manthara's sadness had given way to rage. All her life, she had been treated poorly because of her form. Through no fault of her own she suffered. She decided to seek revenge upon all those who tormented her. She focused her thoughts on the little boy. Surely, as Dasaratha's favorite son, Rama would potentially inherit the throne. "Is there any justice in this world?!" wondered Manthara. Just then she remembered the words Kaikeyi had told her in confidence. As part of the marriage agreement, Dasaratha had secretly promised Kaikeyi that her son would succeed the throne. Only a handful of people were aware of the agreement. Manthara's mouth widened with a dark grin. Her plans for revenge were coming along nicely.

Author's Note: I spent a lot of time doing research trying to find out what the ancient palace inside Ayodhya might have looked like. I did numerous Google searches and Google image searches. The closest things I could find were the palaces in India that still exist today. Most of these were built around 1000 A.D. Rama, however, was believed to have been born in 7000 B.C.E. I then decided it would probably be a good idea to look at artistic renderings of the palace. I figured that surely Indian traditions (especially ones so religiously meaningful) were recorded and passed on. I used these images to describe the long decorated hallways that Manthara was walking through. Most of the content for the story was based on the Buck version of the Ramayana. After his exile, Rama instructs Lakshmana to be kind to every creature, no matter how small. He recalls the time he shot Manthara with the play arrow and realizes that this may have been the reason she harbored a hatred for him. I wrote a character essay for Manthara earlier. Unlike in that story, I wanted the reader to feel sympathy towards Manthara. I wanted to make the emotional motivations for her actions extremely clear.

courtesy - https://sites.google.com/site/ayodhyastorybook/home

TheShySoul12 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
totally agree ...Nice observation dear...
maha2us thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Manthara had to reasons to regret what she did and so could have felt remorse but Shakuni had no reason to regret what he did. Whatever Shakuni did was accepted by Dury. Dury was brainwashed in a pliable age which is not the case of Kaikeyi. What Manthara did totally backfired because Bharat was totally not interested in the throne. And so Kaikeyi lost the love of Bharat. There is also a scene in which Shatrugan beat up Manthara mercilessly and Kaikeyi could do nothing for her. People in the palace really hated her. How would she have got through life if she didn't feel remorse when Ram became the king again? Shakuni never had to feel the same situation. What would have happened if he were beaten or if he had to live in the city with Yudi as the king? Sahadev ended his agony because he killed Shakuni even as Shakuni was running away from the battle field.
@Lovesunshine: That story related to Manthara is part of Ramayan written by the Tamil poet Kamban
Edited by maha2us - 11 years ago
S.n.e.h thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
i get the POV ...where we can assume Shakuni or Manthara one of the culprits for causing Mahabharat and Raamayan to happen...
but i will not respect them at all for this...they dont owe any respect at all...it will be like ...we should be thankful to Duryodhan and Dusshasan for Draupadi's vastraharan...otherwise Mahabharat nahi hota...and we would not have Geeta told by Krishna...