Was Rishi Kindama's curse fair?

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 10 years ago
Do you guys think Rishi Kindama's curse to Pandu was fair? Kshatriyas hunt, it's in their nature and it's not against Dharma for them. Pandu did not kill Kindama and his wife in their human form. For some bizarre reason, they took the form of deer. 😕 How was he to know that the deer he was hunting was human?

What do you guys think?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shivpriya thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Agree it wasn't his fault , he was mistaken. But Kindam cursed him impulsively, out of sudden shock. Bcoz he and his wife were attacked. His emotions overpowered him and he didn't have any time to analyse what was right what was wrong.

edited

Edited by mnx12 - 10 years ago
TheShySoul12 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
i think neither pandu was at his fault here..nor Kindam was because pandu doesn't know that Kindam and his wife were humans and kindam cursed pandu in a impulsively mode so i think none of them were at there fault ...
rasyafan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: shivpriya

Agree it wasn't his fault , he was mistaken. But Kindam cursed him impulsively, out of sudden shock. Bcoz he and his wife were attacked. His emotions overpowered him and he didn't have any time to analyse what was right what was wrong.

his wife had died and he was dying and was in extreme shock and pain so out of this shock he reacted and gave his shrap

but what was the fun of killing two innocnet beautiful animals who were enjoying themselves he had no right to interfere or take someone else's lives 😡

visrom thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
It has always been like that...whether it is Dasharatha or Pandu...anyone who shoots by hearing the sound is always cursed.
They shouldn't be over confident about their hearing sense...ok, they are skilled but one shouldn't shoot at an unseen target when they are not 100% sure. There is a chance of error or misjudgement. And when it's possible that there can be human lives in the path of the arrow, they shouldn't shoot for fun.
It's different in a sporting arena when people will steer clear of the arrow's path, but not in a jungle.
I think the curse can be justified - in Pandu's case as well as Dasharatha's case.
maha2us thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
@Good question, Janaki. But then whether in our day-to-day life or in the epic, we could say any number of actions are unfair. The rishi did something just out of his impulse. But Pandu could have been more careful in hunting. The kings those days were expected to do hunting wild animals since they were young because courage has to be fostered in them. Definitely they were expected to hunt but they were supposed to hunt deadly animals like lion, tiger or bear without being scared by those animals. How does it help hunting a soft animal like deer that also two deer which are mating and having pleasure? Interrupting the pleasure of others is no good.
bhas1066 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
hi
The main reason here was that he hunted an animals mating , who were in pairs leading to extreme pain for the other. This is wrong. Even in ramayana the hunter got cursed for killing one of a pair of swans even when it was his livelihood!! Here pandu is simply hunting for his pleasure , so the rishi gives him such a curse whence he will learn to discipline himself!!
By the way he did not hunt by the sound, he saw the deer mating and killed it. That is unacceptable.

One day Pandu, while out a-hunting, saw a deer covering its mate. That was
really a Rishi in the form of a deer. Seeing the deer in that attitude, he killed it with his arrows, before its
desire was gratified. Pierced with the king's arrow, the deer quickly changed its form and became a
Rishi, and said unto Pandu, 'O Pandu, thou art virtuous and acquainted also with the pleasure derived
from the gratification of one's desire. My desire unsatisfied, thou hast slain me! Therefore, thou also,
when so engaged and before thou art gratified, shalt die!' Pandu, hearing this curse, became pale, and
from that time would not go in unto his wives. And he told them these words, 'Through my own fault, I
have been cursed! But I have heard that for
the childless there are no regions hereafter.

Rishi Kindam took the form of deer because in human form his modesty prevented him to perform the act so as a deer he didnt have such inhibition.
413226 thumbnail

Originally posted by: JanakiRaghunath

Do you guys think Rishi Kindama's curse to Pandu was fair? Kshatriyas hunt, it's in their nature and it's not against Dharma for them. Pandu did not kill Kindama and his wife in their human form. For some bizarre reason, they took the form of deer. 😕 How was he to know that the deer he was hunting was human?

What do you guys think?

Good question. Pandu wasnt doing anything unexpected of a kshatriya. Hunting was a common sport those days. It is not clear if he was h unting merely for fun or for food. Deer could have been hunted for food. Even if not for food and as a sport a king is expected to hone his skills and it wouoldnt be sen as wrong if he hunts for sport.
was it common for Rishis to take animal form? I dont thnk so. Infact it is hard to understand how anyone could do so. Assuming they could, there appears to be nothing to suggest that Pandu knew about the Rishi in the animal form. Therefore Pandu did not deliberately kill the Rishi. He had only shot a deer which was nothing new for him.
As an exalted Rishi who had the ability to take on animal form at will Kindama's impulsiveness in cursing an innocent man seems to be uncharacteristic though as a human being in pain it is easy to sympathise with him.
413226 thumbnail

Originally posted by: bhas1066

hi
The main reason here was that he hunted an animals mating , who were in pairs leading to extreme pain for the other. This is wrong. Even in ramayana the hunter got cursed for killing one of a pair of swans even when it was his livelihood!! Here pandu is simply hunting for his pleasure , so the rishi gives him such a curse whence he will learn to discipline himself!!
By the way he did not hunt by the sound, he saw the deer mating and killed it. That is unacceptable.

One day Pandu, while out a-hunting, saw a deer covering its mate. That was
really a Rishi in the form of a deer. Seeing the deer in that attitude, he killed it with his arrows, before its
desire was gratified. Pierced with the king's arrow, the deer quickly changed its form and became a
Rishi, and said unto Pandu, 'O Pandu, thou art virtuous and acquainted also with the pleasure derived
from the gratification of one's desire. My desire unsatisfied, thou hast slain me! Therefore, thou also,
when so engaged and before thou art gratified, shalt die!' Pandu, hearing this curse, became pale, and
from that time would not go in unto his wives. And he told them these words, 'Through my own fault, I
have been cursed! But I have heard that for
the childless there are no regions hereafter.

Rishi Kindam took the form of deer because in human form his modesty prevented him to perform the act so as a deer he didnt have such inhibition.

This is news to me! Did he turn his wife also into a deer? Or perhaps it was a real deer and not his wife as I am not aware of any custom where it would be immodest to have the act with the wife.
bhas1066 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
yep
The rishi was not married.

I am a Muni of the name of Kindama, possessed of ascetic merit, because my feelings of modesty did not permit me to indulge in such an act in human society. In the form of a deer I rove in the deep woods in the company of other deer.

edited