7 things you did not know about the Mahabharat

rasyafan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8xchKyn7eEg[/YOUTUBE]

1. Mahabharat was originally known as Jaya:

Originally composed by Veda Vyasa, the narrative of the Kurukshetra War between the Pandavas and Kauravas was first known as Jaya. The work was later expanded by two of Veda Vyasa's disciples, with Ugrasrava producing the Mahabharat as we know it today.

2. The Mahabharat was written in a cave in present-day Uttarakhand:

According to legend, Sage Vyasa narrated the story of Mahabharat to Ganesha in a cave located around 3kms from Badrinath, which is today known as "Ganesh Guha."

3. The first battle of Kurukshetra was fought between Bhishma and his Guru Parashuram:

When Bhishma refused to marry Amba because of the vow he had taken, Parashuram called him to battle - an epic combat between guru and disciple on the battleground of Kurukshetra, which would be a foreshadowing of the massive war much later. The battle ended without a clear victor, thus Parashuram decided to bless his student and went on his way.

4. The snake bites Bhima received actually cured him:

Energy wise if you're vibrant beyond a point, then the cobra's venom works in a completely different way on the system. You might have heard traditionally, some of the Siddhas use this. If somebody is poisoned then they will take many bites from the cobra and they will recover. One famous case in history is Bhima. He was poisoned and then put in a river where snakes bit him repeatedly and he recovered from the poison that he had eaten.
- Sadhguru

5. Atri Maharishi was the one who persuaded Dronacharya to lay down his arms during the battle of Kurukshetra:

Atri, one of the Saptarishis, played a very important role in bringing peace when the Kurukshetra war happened. When he saw a matchless warrior called Dronacharya who went about in indiscriminate slaughter, Atri went and stopped him. It was Atri who reminded Dronacharya of his dharma and made him withdraw from the war. So Atri brought peace or helped to stop the most brutal war that this land has ever seen.
- Sadhguru

6. Duryodhana's wife Bhanumati was actually a devotee of Krishna:

Once Krishna was Duryodhana's guest in his palace. In the night Duryodhana had planned to get Krishna a little drunk and get some kind of commitment from him. His friends came and everybody drank too much and they all went out of control. Krishna maintained his cool and he went about meeting everybody, charming everybody. Bhanumati also in this whole enthusiasm consumed more than she should. So Banumathi lost control over herself and she just came and fell on Krishna, expressing her desire for him. So Krishna just held her like he would hold a baby, carried her to Gandhari's chambers and handed over the girl to her. Next day morning she was absolutely grateful to him for having done this and from then on she was like a devotee of Krishna.
- Sadhguru

7. Bhima was almost killed by occult processes:

According to the story, Shakuni and Dhushasana had planned to kill Bhima through black magic with the help of a tantric named Maha Agori. However, Bhima came to know what was happening and thwarted their plans just in time.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

daenerysnow thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
The 2nd point of the narration to Ganesha by Vyasa being told in a cave was illustrated in Peter Brooks Mahabharata which if you have not seen, I recommend do go and watch it.,my adoration for the epic only increased after seeing it, its style is theatrical giving it almost a realistic feel as oppose to the tv serial shot, and the aesthetic is cut down to very basic elements so as to minimize distractions that a more luxury indulgent, richer set or costume would present, and the message of Dharma is etched clearly throughout via the dialogue. What's more the actors hail from various countries so its interesting to see its universal effect in this way. The quality of acting is impressive (the actor for duryodhan excels, he gives a powerful and compelling performance), I also liked their choice for Draupadi, and we get to see the final plight of yudhisthira toward the end ..its altogether a unique approach to depicting the story that one might take time adapting to it. Both br chopras n peter brooks versions though radically different in from each other in their own ways play out the essential meanings that comprises the Mahabharata.
sorry for the deviation! Very interesting facts. From which source did you find them?
shivpriya thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: rangeeni

The 2nd point of the narration to Ganesha by Vyasa being told in a cave was illustrated in Peter Brooks Mahabharata which if you have not seen, I recommend do go and watch it.,my adoration for the epic only increased after seeing it, its style is theatrical giving it almost a realistic feel as oppose to the tv serial shot, and the aesthetic is cut down to very basic elements so as to minimize distractions that a more luxury indulgent, richer set or costume would present, and the message of Dharma is etched clearly throughout via the dialogue. What's more the actors hail from various countries so its interesting to see its universal effect in this way. The quality of acting is impressive (the actor for duryodhan excels, he gives a powerful and compelling performance), I also liked their choice for Draupadi, and we get to see the final plight of yudhisthira toward the end ..its altogether a unique approach to depicting the story that one might take time adapting to it. Both br chopras n peter brooks versions though radically different in from each other in their own ways play out the essential meanings that comprises the Mahabharata.
sorry for the deviation! Very interesting facts. From which source did you find them?

Completely agree with u. Its a simple yet amazing depiction of MB. wish the makers of star plus MB had seen Peter Brooks version and took some inspirations fr its simplicity
Edited by shivpriya - 11 years ago
rasyafan thumbnail

Originally posted by: rangeeni

Hi here is the link of the above which I found and loved:-

http://blog.ishafoundation.org/inside-isha/happenings/7-things-you-didnt-know-about-mahabharat-2/

Yes I have heard great reviews about Peter Brooks Mahabharat a theater work Malika sarabhai played Draupadi and many foreign, I think, French Artists played that play. Yes, saw just a bit of that great work. Heard that they have shown it with a difference and people loved it. There was a huge article about that when this had been played for the first time I think it was Paris or somewhere don't remember it was a long time back. Read that Article. They were praising their work. Always wanted to watch one can watch in youtube as well. May be one day I will watch it. 😆

rasyafan thumbnail

Originally posted by: shivpriya

Completely agree with u. Its a simple yet amazing depiction of MB. wish the makers of star plus MB had seen Peter Brooks version and took some inspirations fr its simplicity

I wish the same. But they are more interested in showing ancient fashion and 6 pack abs rather then an beautiful epic. Not interested in watching fashion show but still I watch it 😕
daenerysnow thumbnail
@Rasyafan, definitely watch it from start to finish, if you love the Mahabharat as much as me, u won't be dissappointed, its more art than drama. Georges corraface as Duryodhan was great. You notice that there is a certain amount of restraint even in the acting, music is toned down so that the power of the words come to fore.
Thanks so much for link.
@Shivpriya, thanks, the starplus makers have resorted to more elaborate means regarding the look yet that's fine too, every maker has their own visions of storytelling, but I agree in a way that Indian producers might take a leaf or two ie. Consider the superfluous use of music as if emotions are totally reliant on sounds, what to speak about the overacting in some of the actors .. this is where Pbrooks Mahabharata was effective via its silence which invites contemplation rather than artificially forcing one to conjure feelings. It simplified almost everything, turning the story into a play was a terrific concept, the story itself felt more accessible via the earthly as opposed to otherworldly look of characters, especially Krishna being shown as an ordinary being, slightly balding all on the exterior, which in itself is an amazing idea suggesting the idea that perfection comes from within. Krishna in human form, ordinary attire, walking amongst us whilst all knowing, the perfect man, obscure to those who can't see Him, and the actor played the Lord convincingly.
fatssrilanka thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 2
Thanks for the lovely post.
enlightenme thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
ya few of them I know like the 1st one mahabharat was 1st jaya, then it was Vijaya, then bharat and at the end it changed to mahabharat..

I also know about the story of king cobra and bhim it increased and improved his strength, it was something planned by duryodhana to kill bhim when they were kids.

The bhisma and parshuram war we had already seen in the show.
rasyafan thumbnail
@Rasyafan, definitely watch it from start to finish, if you love the Mahabharat as much as me, u won't be dissappointed, its more art than drama. Georges corraface as Duryodhan was great. You notice that there is a certain amount of restraint even in the acting, music is toned down so that the power of the words come to fore.
Thanks so much for link.

You are most welcome and Thank you Rangeeni I will definitely watch it since you are saying so higly of this Play. Yes I love Mahabharat both Ved Vyas ji's and BR chopras they both are outstanding art created by great people.
daenerysnow thumbnail

Originally posted by: rasyafan

Great, looking forward to your thoughts on it! I tried watching poor versions of Mahabharata but never managed to commit right through, and just when I thought there couldn't have been a worse version after Sanjay Khans one, Ekta kapoor came up with a most repugnant edition that the less said about it the better,
By far Br Chopras, and Peter Brooks are the best adaptations of Vyasa writings. I'm open to this new one too, theyve created a visual impact that works in favour, capturing through a panoramic lens every aesthetic detail, fabricating a world inhabited by larger than life characters, that a sense of grandeur is evoked but unfortunately it won't get v far simply using luxurious materials at its disposal:, granted its a visual delight to be allowed to immerse oneself in such a inducingly lavish environment inhabited by idealistic characters decked to the maximum, but its difficult to integrate the essence of the epic when the focus is divided, or to even seam the two, seems like, quite a stretch to overcome, the tendency to overdo , a need to overcomplicate things via flowery language and somehow there is a loss in not only coherency where the materialistic aspects are given extraneous importance, but the substance is lacking, they seem to concernd more with the surface level /physical appearance of things,; id like to point out that Br chopras differs from new one in this respect because although it still made ample use of elaborate materials lt nevertheless managed to sustain the soul of Mahabharat never losing sight of its direction.
Again I applaud Peter Brook in reluctance to overwhelm the physical senses and cutting back to draw us further into the meaning behind words n gave space for thought allowing one to ponder via more modest means that is befitting of the purity of what Mahabharata at its core is about.