Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

413226 thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

Originally posted by: maha2us

Even though, Krna saida a woman would be happier if she had multiple husbands, I am finding what you say is all true. As you all say, it was not easy for Draupadi in her life with five husbands. And things for her was not the same as is the case of a polygamous king. Probably the king with more than one wife could decide on any day, with whom he would spend the night and no one would care what he did. Whatever way his other wives felt, they would have no voice. Especially he would show partiality towards the woman who gave ,ale heir. But this luxury was not given to Draupadi. She had rules to follow that she had to spend equal time with her husbands and also she had the responsibility to see that there was no dissension among the brothers. Again the epic indicates in more than one place, she had to be the 'mother' of Nakula and Sahadeva. All this is something very difficult. And after all this, what happened in Duryodhana's sabha. She would have definitely found it painful if she was forced to accept Karna also as her husband which the other Pandavas could have foced her to do if it were known he was their elder brother. Interestingly we are not told how she felt, when it was known to her husbands that Karna was their elder brother.

Dis karna say that? I dont remember reading that 😕 And of course it wouldnt be easy for a woman as for a man in a polygamous relation as it was a patriarchal society! Women were treated as properties or means for political alliances and instrument for producing babies ( heirs to throne) and as a means of pleasure rather than as an equal human being.
maha2us thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Karna did say that. I have specified the contest anyway when he said that. The source is the original Mahabharata.
I can conclude the arrangements which Draupadi would have to follow was not easy for her and she had to make a lot of adjustments. At the same time, probably she was happier also because there were five husbands for her who were full of love for her and had been caring, compassionate, gentle, tender and understanding to her..Things were rosy for her till the day the disrobing in the Sabha happened.
413226 thumbnail

Originally posted by: maha2us

Karna did say that. I have specified the contest anyway when he said that. The source is the original Mahabharata.

I can conclude the arrangements which Draupadi would have to follow was not easy for her and she had to make a lot of adjustments. At the same time, probably she was happier also because there were five husbands for her who were full of love for her and had been caring, compassionate, gentle, tender and understanding to her..Things were rosy for her till the day the disrobing in the Sabha happened.

Draupadi was an intelligent , beautiful and proud woman. She would have been happier to have had the right or freedom to make her own choice instead of having decisions thrust down her throat. That is something which no woman likes even though the husband ..in this case husbands.. may be compassionate and gentle or tender ..when it suits them.