Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

saishyama thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
I cannot accept karna as a tragic hero or a very righteous person...
He may have had all the good qualities and yes fate had played a cruel blow on him...
But having said so ill fate does not give anybody a birthright to forsake all virtues and embrace all vices..
He was insulted many times even by the Pandavs, by Draupadi , by Shakuni etc. , but as the saying goes if everyone starts demanding an eye for eye , the whole world will go blind...
Even the Pandavs were insulted n number of times , yet Yudhisthir and Lord Krishna kept attempting to make peace till the water rose above the head..
What to say of others even Krishna was teased as the son of a cow herder , but he never took offense despite being the all powerful God...
Maybe Karna's hatred and animosity towards the Pandavs , towards Draupadi can be justified ,they ill treated him , considered him of low caste but does disliking someone give us the right to wrong someone... Yes the Pandavs did think low of Karna but did that justify his humiliating their wife , calling her a vaishya , killing his competitor's unarmed son...
It is very rightly said when we want to outbeat someone, rather than pulling the other person down , pull yourself up..
Yes dronacharya refused to teach him but that was not Arjun's fault then why breed animosity against him? Yes he was cursed , but then while once it was due to his own folly and that too a curse given by the guru whose even curse cannot be for his own shishya's disadvantage while the second time he was cursed for a mistake.. Well then even Arjun was cursed by an apsara without any fault but since he was a devotee of god even the curse proved beneficial to him...
As for disadvantages , even the pandavs were put to many.. They were raised single handedly by their mother in a hostile environment without the protection of a father...They were exiled , plotted to be murdered , humiliated and so on .. still to the ver end they remained humble to their jyeshth pita...

As for friendship to Duryodhan , Karna was indebted to duryodhan and hence bound to him just like maybe bhishma.. But a true friend is one who correctly advises the other not one who avenges his own wrongs in the name of friendship .. He may have not left his side but should hav atleast once tried to reason out with him..

In the end I would say that a person's qualities are to be tested in the worst of times not the best..
rasyafan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Kya hua sneha πŸ˜†
S.n.e.h thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: rasyafan

Kya hua sneha πŸ˜†

itane sare bade bade comments padhake...comments pe commets padhake...karn aur draupadi story ko leke puri confuse ho gayiπŸ˜†...phir socha baad me aaram se padhu
Edited by snehalS - 11 years ago
lovesunshine thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Karna was righteous in a way...he never left duryodhan's side because he wanted to return back the favours what duryodhan did for him..

karna was alone and duryodhan for his ulterior motive accepted him as his friend and gave him anga kingdom..He was karna's only friend..

The pandavs including arjun always mocked karna being a suta putra..

also he was denied the right of education of archery by guru drona.. drona always wanted arjun to be the worlds biggest and the best archer ever...and so he even made poor eklavya give up his thumb for that..

In a way the whole world was cruel to karna including his mother kunti except duryodhan...

I also agree it does not mean that karna should have called all those abusive names to draupadi and encouraged the vastraharan..or participated in abhimanyu's merciless killing...

Karan was not thinking about whether what he did in these two instances was right or wrong while doing it..he only was thinking abt the service he was offering to his friend duryodhan..

later when he thought abt what he did he expressed his remorse for it...but what was done was done..

Karna was not bad just could not control himself and broke boundaries of all sorts in the name of helping his friend duryodhan..

But that does not mean the pandavs or yudhisthir were righteous..

if you compare the doings of karna and yudhisthir...

karna abused draupadi who was the common wife of duryodhan's enemies..whereas yudhisthir let outsiders abuse and molest his own wife and his brothers wife too..he is more of a villain for me...😑

I am not supporting /justifying karna here ...whatever he did to draupadi was entirely wrong and horrible..but just when you compare it with yudhisthir he is better..

Karna helped others but yudhisthir never even helped his own wife when keechak was molesting her...yudi remained quite in the viraat darbar because for him completing the agyat vaas was more important than saving his wife..

yudhisthir always desired the throne oh yes he did..karna never desired the throne..only one thing he wanted was respect in the society and to be better archer than arjun...

the killing of abhimanyu was one more thing where karna did wrong that no one can justify ..

But yudhisthir also lied about aswathama being dead in order to defeat dronachraya..

I still feel karna is better person than yudi ..just that yudi knew how to control his emotions towards his loved ones, he displayed this during the dice game after he sold one by one all his brothers and wife and he showed self control draupadi vastraharan and keechak episode by not doing anything or allowing his brothers to do anyhting..and let outsiders harrass his wife ..and in the end he got to be the king..

whereas karna got carried away in love and friendship for duryodhan and tried to help him in every possible way even if he was doomed after that..
.Brooke. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Nice post.I agree with your points.
Justlikethat1 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: lovesunshine

Karna was righteous in a way...he never left duryodhan's side because he wanted to return back the favours what duryodhan did for him..

karna was alone and duryodhan for his ulterior motive accepted him as his friend and gave him anga kingdom..He was karna's only friend..

Karna used Duryodhan just as Duryodhan used Karna.. To avenge himself for Dronacharya's slight, he took up Arjun as an enemy without reason. With Duryodhan, Karna was not a friend, just a partner in crime.. There is nothing worthy about a friend who does not guide the other properly. Karna egged Duryodhan to do many things he should not have. That is no righteousness.. Just a blind hate and the need to stay in the good books.

The pandavs including arjun always mocked karna being a suta putra..

also he was denied the right of education of archery by guru drona.. drona always wanted arjun to be the worlds biggest and the best archer ever...and so he even made poor eklavya give up his thumb for that..

And for Drona's mistake, it is right to blame the Pandavas?πŸ˜• How? Yes.. Karna was to the Pandavas a Suta Putra. Everyone knew that he was the son of Adirath. To barge in, into a filled arena where the Princes of Hastinapur were showcasing their skills and then mocking Arjuna's skills is no way to go about showing off your own skills.
It would have been better if Karna had been a little more humble and less bitter.. He challenged a prince without seeing that there is a strict protocol in this case and that he was outnumbered.. To think that he would be treated with respect after the disrespect he showed in there is going about it the wrong way.

In a way the whole world was cruel to karna including his mother kunti except duryodhan...

The world was cruel to everyone.. Not just Karna.. The Pandavas did not have a happy childhood that fortunately Karna did.. Pandavas with their mother had to go and live at the mercy of their fahter's brother and were at every point of time taunted in the palace. They had to live hiding from everyone in fear of their life..
It is not like everyone in MB had a great life.. Maybe Duryodhan.. but he ruined it himself. Compared to the others Karna was not any different

I also agree it does not mean that karna should have called all those abusive names to draupadi and encouraged the vastraharan..or participated in abhimanyu's merciless killing...

Karan was not thinking about whether what he did in these two instances was right or wrong while doing it..he only was thinking abt the service he was offering to his friend duryodhan..

Really? He was offering his service to Duryodhan by killing a 16 year old boy ? And he was doing further service by taking pleasure in seeing a woman get molested as he heckled the brute on? I cannot comment further on that..

later when he thought abt what he did he expressed his remorse for it...but what was done was done..

He was filled with remorse before his death.. During life, it did not stop him from doing one sin after the other. I am glad he atleast understood what he did wrong before he died.

Karna was not bad just could not control himself and broke boundaries of all sorts in the name of helping his friend duryodhan..

Sorry. From my PoV, every bad deed done is because of vices and emotions breaking their boundaries. It is important how a person acts after doing that bad deed. Do they realize their mistake and take steps to correct the wrong? When did and what did Karna do to ever right the wrong he did? He never did apologize for his mistakes nor did he try correcting it.. There is no excuse for his behavior.

But that does not mean the pandavs or yudhisthir were righteous..

No. Pandavas were not always righteous but they were at most times. Nobody would say Pandavas were saints. They had their faults but they also had a lot of strength to correct the wrongs they did. That is what made them better human beings.

if you compare the doings of karna and yudhisthir...

karna abused draupadi who was the common wife of duryodhan's enemies..whereas yudhisthir let outsiders abuse and molest his own wife and his brothers wife too..he is more of a villain for me...😑

Yes. Yudishtir was totally wrong at that time. Whatever his excuse, he was way wrong and he repented for his mistake for over 13 years and later by losing his kith and kin.. He did not forgive himself for his mistake either. How can two wrongs be a right. Yudhistir was wrong in his place and Karna was wrong in his. Yudhistir atleast made amends. Karna never did.

I am not supporting /justifying karna here ...whatever he did to draupadi was entirely wrong and horrible..but just when you compare it with yudhisthir he is better..

Sorry. Disagree based on reason above. No one can take a lesser blame in that scenario. Neither Karna nor Yudhistir were better. Both were wrong and completely wrong that day.

Karna helped others but yudhisthir never even helped his own wife when keechak was molesting her...yudi remained quite in the viraat darbar because for him completing the agyat vaas was more important than saving his wife..

Unfortunately, I think that was exactly what Yudhistir did. He was trying to save his wife and 4 brothers from being recognized and killed in the palace. Killing of Keechak would have easily made it obvious that Bheem was around for Bheem was one of the few rare people who had the strength to kill Keechak. It was a prudent decision taken for the benefit of his family.
It is another thing that Draupadi was able to make Bheem kill Keechak and then concoct a story about 5 devas who were her husband. It is her good luck that people believed her. But this death still made a substantial doubt in the minds of Kauravas who were soon trying to get the Pandavas come out in the open by warring with Virata. At times it is good to have some patience and foresight. Yudhistir had that.

yudhisthir always desired the throne oh yes he did..karna never desired the throne..only one thing he wanted was respect in the society and to be better archer than arjun...

Yudhistir did not desire the throne of Hastinapur. That fact in itself is incorrect. All Pandavas every wanted was a life of security and independence with dignity. That is why they accepted Indraprastha without a question. That is why Yudhistir was opposed to war right from the beginning.

If he was so throne mad, Yudhistir could have gathered his friends and could have bet the Kauravas very after the game of dice. He did not. If Yudhistir was throne mad, he would have not wanted peace to be brokered when the 13 years completed. He would not have asked Lord Krishna to give anything for peace..

All Yudhistir and Pandavas needed for a home of their own. When that was denied, they fought for it and came out victorious.

In contrast, Karna was indebted to Duryodhana because of the throne of Anga..

the killing of abhimanyu was one more thing where karna did wrong that no one can justify ..

But yudhisthir also lied about aswathama being dead in order to defeat dronachraya..

Yes. Yudhistir lied. But he did not make the five Pandavas stand around Ashvatama and kill him when he had no weapon now, did he? He did not kill a 16 year old boy who was fighting with his chariots wheels without even giving him an outside chance now, did he? He did not do that to Dronacharya either. He lied and he knew he was wrong. I do not think he was proud of that fact and nor did he let Drupada go unpunished for his insolence in killing his Guru/

I still feel karna is better person than yudi ..just that yudi knew how to control his emotions towards his loved ones, he displayed this during the dice game after he sold one by one all his brothers and wife and he showed self control draupadi vastraharan and keechak episode by not doing anything or allowing his brothers to do anyhting..and let outsiders harrass his wife ..and in the end he got to be the king..

I agree to disagree.. Although I do not consider the Pandavas to be totally good people, they had a very right sense of fairness and goodness that Karna never had. Pandavas were human too.. Just because Karna is romanticized does not make him a hero in my eyes. So Agree to disagree

whereas karna got carried away in love and friendship for duryodhan and tried to help him in every possible way even if he was doomed after that..

It was chamchagiri and not friendship in my opinion and a mean streak with evilness that made Karna get carried away.. 😳 Just my POV

my answers in Bold... I agree to DisagreeπŸ˜ƒ
lovesunshine thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
i agree to disagree too... i am not saying karna is the hero ..but yudhisthir is also not the hero either...

for me a person who keeps quite and does nothing is the worst kind of a person without a backbone..😑 n yudhisthir is that...after draupado's cheerharan, bheem , arjun, nakul sahadev all took vows to kill dushahshan, duryodhan , karna and shakuni...but yudhisthir just sat there with mouth shut just like manmohan singh..😑

even in the war not much was contributed by yudhisthir...majority people were either killed by arjun bheem, satyakai and the others...

how can one person stake ones wife and brothers to fulfill kshatriya dharm? is not protection of vulnerable the biggest dharm of all?

sorry i dont like the silent observer types ..n yudhisthri is one..

also karna did not do chamchagiri, he always argued with shakuni as he did not like his chhal kapat tactics...he was against shakuni's plan of burning the pandavs alive in laakh griha. from time to time he tried to stop shakuni..but duryodhan apporved shakuni's every move..

when karna got to know that he is the eldest son of kunthi , he still chose to side with duryodhan..beause he knew if he sided with the pandavs and he was sure they would win, yudhisthir would make him (karna) the king as he was the eldest brother..n karna due to his indebtness to duryodhan would give him back his kingdom...

so he prefered to side with duryodhan and accepted his death..

besides he knew he had wronged draupadi...and he felt him going on the side of adharm and dieing is the best possible punshiment he could get..
Edited by lovesunshine - 11 years ago
rasyafan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: snehalS

itane sare bade bade comments padhake...comments pe commets padhake...karn aur draupadi story ko leke puri confuse ho gayiπŸ˜†...phir socha baad me aaram se padhu

🀣 I know the feeling itne dhanurdhar hen hamare forums me that you go mum when they nikalo baal ki khaal but I really am impressed with these guys such in depth knowledge about Mahabharat and other sacred texts I feel so proud of these guys.

Don't worry take your time and if you don't understand something then ask here you will get replies form many people πŸ˜† and in great detail.

But do get involved this forum is very very interesting πŸ‘

413226 thumbnail

Originally posted by: Justlikethat1

Yes. Yudishtir was totally wrong at that time. Whatever his excuse, he was way wrong and he repented for his mistake for over 13 years and later by losing his kith and kin.. He did not forgive himself for his mistake either. How can two wrongs be a right. Yudhistir was wrong in his place and Karna was wrong in his. Yudhistir atleast made amends. Karna never did.

Yudi had every reason to repent those 13 years as it was because of him that they were in that state of homelessness and also draupadi with her loose hair was a constant reminder of the humiliation she had to endure because of that dice game.

All the same it did not make Yudi try and protect Draupadi's honour when it was in danger during those 13 years. It was Bhem who came to her rescue.

Unfortunately, I think that was exactly what Yudhistir did. He was trying to save his wife and 4 brothers from being recognized and killed in the palace. Killing of Keechak would have easily made it obvious that Bheem was around for Bheem was one of the few rare people who had the strength to kill Keechak. It was a prudent decision taken for the benefit of his family.
It is another thing that Draupadi was able to make Bheem kill Keechak and then concoct a story about 5 devas who were her husband. It is her good luck that people believed her. But this death still made a substantial doubt in the minds of Kauravas who were soon trying to get the Pandavas come out in the open by warring with Virata. At times it is good to have some patience and foresight. Yudhistir had that.

Where was that patience and foresight when he staked his brothers and wife ? πŸ˜•

Yudhistir did not desire the throne of Hastinapur. That fact in itself is incorrect. All Pandavas every wanted was a life of security and independence with dignity. That is why they accepted Indraprastha without a question. That is why Yudhistir was opposed to war right from the beginning.
Isnt that what Karna too wanted inthe first place? A life of dignity! He was a kshatriya by blood and a devas son. He was aware of his capabilities though not knowing the truth of his birth and would feel frustrated by the confinements of social norms that were stiffling his potentials.

In contrast, Karna was indebted to Duryodhana because of the throne of Anga..
Karna wasnt indebted because of the throne as such but because of the acceptance and dignity that Duryodhan bestowed on him. It was because of the opportunity that Duri gave that karna got a chance to show his skill as a warrior instead of sitting quietly as a charioteer's son. Duri recognised the potentials of a great warrior who could compete with Arjuna and it was a politically correct move on his part to get Karna on his side.

My comments in blue. Each character in MB had his own reasons and compulsions for what he did.
413226 thumbnail

Originally posted by: rasyafan

🀣 I know the feeling itne dhanurdhar hen hamare forums me that you go mum when they nikalo baal ki khaal but I really am impressed with these guys such in depth knowledge about Mahabharat and other sacred texts I feel so proud of these guys.

Don't worry take your time and if you don't understand something then ask here you will get replies form many people πŸ˜† and in great detail.

But do get involved this forum is very very interesting πŸ‘

Actually come to think of it lets see why Draupadi was attracted to arjuna more than the other Pandavas?In all probability it was because of Arjuna's skill as an archer that helped him to win the contest. At that time Draupadi had rejected Karna becuase of his birth but must have later realised how skilled he was. It is not very difficult to imagine that Draupadi could have secretly felt attracted to the Arjuna's arch rival Karna πŸ˜‰