Karn was made for Draupadi

rasyafan thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Hey friends

Today I was reading about Karn and I read that he had all the qualities, Draupadi was looking for in a husband. πŸ˜†

I thought to share this with you guys.

Draupadi and karna

The problem with Draupadi was that she was as flawed as Kunti but with loads of EGO inside her. (It seems to me that it was karna's fate to have such flawed women in his life even though his quality as man was what women always desire in a son or a husband)

It is said that when Draupadi was once praying for a husband, she asked that her husband be:

1) Righteous and good

2) Strong and brave

3) A great warrior

4) Good looking

5) Handsome

Lord Shiva told her that no one man can have all the 5 qualities. But as usual Drupadi highly stubborn and egoistic would not relent, Lord Shiva granted her wish. Except she had to be the wife of 5 brothers- each Pandav brother had one of the qualities she desired.

Yudhistra (righteous and good)

Bheem (strong and brave)

Arjun (a great warrior)

Nakul and Sahdev (good looking/handsome).

However it is said, Karna had all these 5 qualities- he was after all technically the eldest of Kunti's son .

When he went for her swamwar (where a woman is allowed to choose her husband, yes it was very liberating experience back then in ancient India too), where Pandav were dressed as Brahmins or Priests. She insulted him by calling him a mere son of a charioteer who DARED to think of marrying a princess, being true to her egoistic nature (after all she considered herself to be very EDUCATED and she believed that she knew everything about karna, another case where her arrogance was at best, as in reality karna was of Royal Blood and eldest brother of 5 Pandav, so in short was the perfect husband for her, Krishna here too played his spoiler game by misguiding Draupadi) πŸ˜†πŸ‘

Krishna had asked her not to select Karn but go for Arjun. But Shiv had given her boon for having 5 husbands so her marriage would never have taken place. Her fate was already decided in her previous life. 😑

in the name of Dharm Krishna had cheated many people πŸ˜‰ and lied too πŸ˜† but as they say ek dharm ya sach ke liye 100 jhoot bhi bolna pada to achcha hai ...πŸ˜ƒ

Edited by rasyafan - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

_BacknForth_ thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
I have heard the same account, and I totally agree πŸ˜ƒ

But firing this topic could become a very big debate with no outcome, you know!

People will divide into Karna-Draupadi and Arjuna-Draupadi groups... and there are so many versions of it, that there'll be a fight on things like who really loved Draupadi, whether there was something b/w Karna/Draupadi, did he really hate her etc. etc. and I don't wanna go into that! It could turn ugly πŸ˜†

P.S. Krishna had ulterior motives no. Unhe toh itihaas banana tha as it was pre-written. How could he have let anything falter! πŸ˜‰
Justlikethat1 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I have to disagree though.. Karan was neither righteous nor was he fair.. the first point itself rules him out.

If he had been fair, he would have seen why Dronacharya made the comment during the skills display about how a third party person should not come uninvited. If he was righteous, he would never have wanted to side with Duryodhana..

Being fair and righteous also means stopping a known error from happening. Karan was never brave enough to stop Duryodhana from his bad deeds.

I cannot consider him brave, not after what he does with Abhimanyu and with Draupadi during the vasthraharan.

Handsome and goodlooking... Well, that is in the eyes of the beholder. To Draupadi, Arjun was the most handsome that day.. Hence there is nothing wrong that she chose him and not Karan.

It has been a fashion in this age to make an anti hero into a tragic character thus justifying his deeds and actions or make him a mahaan when he is not.. I think Karan's character had all the required backstory to make him a person to raise from the ashes.. But in truth, Karan did not have all qualities that you specified. He was sadly a person who would let his jealousy, his bitterness, his anger and his past rule over what is right and correct.😊
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Justlikethat1

I have to disagree though.. Karan was neither righteous nor was he fair.. the first point itself rules him out. Yup, I agree. Karna may have had his good qualities, but he did not have ALL the qualities Draupadi wanted. After all, how can the words of Lord Shiva come false? He said no human man could have all those qualities, so it's impossible for Karna to have all those qualities, it's quite simple. πŸ˜†

If he had been fair, he would have seen why Dronacharya made the comment during the skills display about how a third party person should not come uninvited. If he was righteous, he would never have wanted to side with Duryodhana.. Yup, I always wondered what Karna was trying to prove by coming uninvited to the skills competition. It was for the Princes of Hastinapura only. Neither Dronacharya nor Bhishma invited anyone else, even from other kingdoms, so for Karna to intervene and show off his own skills was nothing but pride and conceit. He just wanted to show off that he could do everything Arjuna could do.

Being fair and righteous also means stopping a known error from happening. Karan was never brave enough to stop Duryodhana from his bad deeds. Nor was he brave enough to stop the Kauravas from killing Abhimanyu so unethically. Nor was he brave enough to stop the vastra haran from happening. In fact, he was the one who told Duryodhan that Draupadi should be disorbed.

I cannot consider him brave, not after what he does with Abhimanyu and with Draupadi during the vasthraharan. Yeah, it's quite ridiculous how some people still think Draupadi and Karna were in love with each other. 🀣 There is nothing in the epic to prove that they had feelings for each other. In fact, Draupadi hated Karna for what he said during the vastra haran, and Karna hated Draupadi for her rejection in the swayamvar.

Handsome and goodlooking... Well, that is in the eyes of the beholder. To Draupadi, Arjun was the most handsome that day.. Hence there is nothing wrong that she chose him and not Karan. Yeah, people can't criticize Draupadi for considering Arjuna more handsome. People have their tastes, and it's not a crime to like one person over another. πŸ˜†

It has been a fashion in this age to make an anti hero into a tragic character thus justifying his deeds and actions or make him a mahaan when he is not.. Sadly, that is very true and I hate it when this is done, especially in our religious puranas which are not story books for people to decide on their own who was right and wrong. πŸ€” Religious puranas are meant to teach people how to live the ideal life, but unfortunately in today's society, people hate idealism. They like flawed characters, they are enchanted by flawed character. They believe in fairytale "opposites attract", thereby pairing up characters in mythologies who are not meant to be together. It's preposterous how many Draupadi-Karna fans there are, even after knowing that Karna was the reason behind her molestation. I've even met some Sita-Ravan fans, who think Ravan is the most tragic character in the world and that Sita did the biggest mistake by refusing his love. 🀒 I think Karan's character had all the required backstory to make him a person to raise from the ashes.. But in truth, Karan did not have all qualities that you specified. He was sadly a person who would let his jealousy, his bitterness, his anger and his past rule over what is right and correct.😊

Word Count: 1

Sabhayata thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Rasyafan
I am confused as to whether Krishna asked draupadi to refuse to karan or draupadi did that on her on.I dont clearly remember what is there in the original.But in Jaya:retelling of Mahabharata by devdutt patnaik draupadi refuses karan from her own free will and not becuase of krishna.Infact krishna points this out as a reason for her suffering that she refused to marry karan and choose to marry arjun who didnt only share her wih his brother's but also didnt protect her.So i am confused as to whether krsihna actually asked her to refuse to karan or not
As for Karan and draupadi,draupadi as made for the pandavs and for destruction of kuruvansh that is why she was born from the yagya fire not for karan but to be pandavs common wife and destroy kuruvansh so neither she nor karan ere made for each other.Although karan would have been an ideal husband for her for all the reasosn krishna stated
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Draupadi was an incarnation of Maha Kali, who was born to assist Lord Krishna (who is Maha Kaal) to destroy all the arrogant Kings of India. That is why they are considered brother and sister though they shared no blood relation. Draupadi is believed to be an incarnation of Goddess Parvathi's Kali roop, and since Krishna was an incarnation of Vishnu, they shared a sibling relationship on Earth too.
Draupadi was not "meant" for anyone. She had a sole purpose in being born, and that was destruction. Once she achieved her purpose, her incarnation ended. She was married to the Pandavas because of the boon she got from Lord Shiva in previous birth, but otherwise her sole purpose was the destruction of arrogant Kings.
Edited by JanakiRaghunath - 11 years ago
Justlikethat1 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
@ Janaki.. I have no words to add to your reply⭐️ I concur completely.. It is laughable that those who make Ravan a hero also question Lord Ram on his decision to send Sita to the forest. It was something that would have taken so much strength from this husband who loved his wife is forgotten.

Draupadi always considered Krishna as her brother and apart from the fact that she was supposed to cause Kuru Vansh's destruction, it was specifically to marry Arjuna that her father wanted her born. He wanted to take revenge on Dhrona for the humiliation he undergoes.. Draupadi's father, the king of Panchal, Draupada and Dhrona are childhood friends.

In a spur of the moment, Draupada promises Dhrona, half his kingdom during his time at the gurukul.. After many years, Dhrona is a poor brahmin who is unable even to get an ounce of milk for his son Ashwathama.
He goes to Parashurama hearing that the great sage is giving away all his wealth. Unfortunately by the time he reaches there, Parashurama has given away everything. He asks whether Drona needs the power of his Tapasya or his Astra skills and Drona gets the Astra skills.. But again, his poverty is still an issue.
His wife (sister of Kulguru Kripacharya) reminds him of Draupada's promise and Dhrona goes there with her and his son.. However Draupada, who is now King, insults Dhronacharya.. Dhrona decides to teach Draupada a lesson.

Seeing that Arjun is the greatest student he has, he asks for Draupada as his Guru Dakshina.. Duryodhan first volunteers and fails but Arjun brings Draupada tied to a chariot. Drona gets his revenge but he magnanimously lets Draupada have his kingdom back.

Losing his pride, Draupada comes home with revenge at heart. He does yagna and Draupadi comes out as he wishes for a daughter who would wed Arjuna, the only person capable of facing Drona..

So again, I agree that Draupadi was never inclined to wed Karna. She was always supposed to be the wife of Pandavas.. By destiny and by choice😊
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
@ Justlikethat1,
Yes, I agree with you. Draupadi was born to destroy the Kurus and marry Arjuna. These were her father's deepest desires when he did the yagna from which she was born.

I opened a topic about Draupadi being an incarnation of Maha Kali. Check it out! It's pretty interesting what I found.
enlightenme thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
in many versions of mahabharat there is a chapter where Draupadi admits of her secret love for Karna. called 'Jambul Akhyan'. Karna was offered Draupadi as wife by Kunti or Krishna, to side with the pandavas along with the offer to become the king during the kurukshetra war, but he refused because he was indebted to his evil friend. (Just type Draupadi's secret and google.)
Many authors have explored this part of the story (I mean the Karna - Draupadi angle) like in the 'palace of illusions' by chitra banerjee devakuni. Where entire mahabharata is told from the sight of Draupadi. Where plight of Draupadi is described that how she lived with each brother a year. when she would come to live with the next brother memories of the previous brother would assail her thoughts.

There is also a reason why Draupadi was married to 5 bothers in those days. its because Kunti clearly read the desire in Yudisthir's eyes for Draupadi hence she got her married to the 5 brothers to avoid quarrel over a woman because the strength of Pandavas was in their unity, they were incomplete without each other.

There are many versions of Mahabharata with different interpretion. there are many undercurrents in the story, of mahabharata if you ask why kunti and madri's were not pandu's son. why did they have of bear children from the devtas then the reason is very obvious that maharaj pandu was impodent.

I really don't know whether Draupadi loved Karna or not. But, the fact is if Draupadi would have been Karna's wife then there would have been no vastra haran and no kurukshetra and no mahabharat. And to add I would say these two characters faced the hightest amount of humiliation and its really sad they both took active part in each other's humiliation.
Manojie thumbnail
Anniversary 20 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I've heard fantasists say Sita loved Ravan, and chose Ram because he won the war. 🀒

In my opinion it's the same. People make up their own versions of everything. Look at this Mahabharat which has Karan jumping off a mountain to save a child. It isn't written anywhere that happened. What we have to follow is what is written in the core puranic texts.

Interpretors will say whatever they want. I interpret Shakespeare as an English Literature student. Maybe the story IS just as it's written not the deeper meaning people are trying to find within the story.