did constant rejection make gandhari a weak woman

BLR_babe thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago
to day when i saw the seen between dhrit and gandhari .. this thought came to my mind ..
did constant rejection and later on fear of rejection make gandhari a weak women who couldnt make her husband or her children listen to her and respect her ..
is the intial rejection and constant fear of upsetting her spouse the reason she could dare speak against her husband with conviction ..

what do you guys say ?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

daenerysnow thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Gandhari may have suffered from extreme repression under the oppressive power of husband and son combined, in the way that her love for them would subdue her unexpressed reproaches to their cunning and crafty plottings, Perhaps she felt weary n helpless as she was attached to her relations, whilst aware of righteousness and ultimate duty but succumbed to her duty as wife and mother to support them even though she knew that they made bad choices. She was trapped, but she did love them regardless, ultimately she chose the path of darkness, she sensed it coming for her maybe even as she tied the bandage over her eyes, she was surrendering not only to her husband in that moment but to every choice he would make thereafter, her struggle became akin to all the others who had to fight for Hastinapur whilst their heart was with Dharma but on a different level, she was obliged to serving her ignorant husband, desirous of his happiness but mindful of her own fatality in the middle of darkness. this duality of being torn in two is the root cause of so many of these characters sufferings where good and bad don't exist separately. I don't think she was weak per se, if you consider her values, she was unlike her brother, son and husband, virtuous, principled, knowledged, but if you consider the choices she made based on her attachment as wife and mother then she was weak for them. In general her case was hopeless, she wouldn't have been able to influence her highly irritable, angry and ignorant son onto the right path, nor her self-delusional husband who had his own agenda of what constitutes duty.
Justlikethat1 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Gandhari, though very strong and perfectly fair seems to have had very less influence on her husband as well as her son.. In contrast, we have Pandu who listened to Kunthi and there are many times when Kunthi has advised and was also completely obeyed by the Pandavas.

Most probably, it was the case of Shakuni's growing influence on Dhridhrashtra and Duryodhan.. Gandhari could never be close to her husband or her sons. She does advice Dhridhrashtra when things went over the head, like during the vasthraharan etc., but her influence was not substantial enough to stop Dhridhrashtra or Kauravas from plotting..

While it seems apparent that Kunthi, due to many reasons had to be the person who took the decisions in her children's life, Gandhari sadly did not have the entire right. Dhridhrasthra and with his blessings Shakuni took over the care of her children, leaving her to worry and rue the fate of her near and dear ones..

Still she was there with Dhridhrashtra as he learnt the death of every one of his sons during the Kurushetra war.. She never left his side during his times of distress..
gil-99 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
hello guys...frankly speaking in mahabharatha everyone has got their own meaningful rights...
If dhiru wanted the crown he has his own right,and if what vidur done that in the crowning ceremony of not giving the crown to dhiru is not justified at all and eventhough it is justified then the timing is wrong...and pandu,if he so likely loves his brother a lot then why cant he give away the throne simply saying i dont need or he will assist his brother...everyone is fighting for their own rights...
Pandu fighting for her sisters rights...as far of mahabharatha, pandavas also made same level of
mistakes...Let me ask something...duro was the biological son to the ruling emperor and he was the eldest one and he is good in features unlike blind like his father then where the seperation comes from...
draupadi didnt laugh at duro but his youger brother...which is not supposed to be done atleast not in public...and whatever happened in the war atleast kauravas fighted directly unlike pandavas...with the help of krishna they tricked and won the war...i remember something"all is fair in love and war" but here it goes beyond that level...and moreover i see in this forum a big discussion of like scolding everything and arguing...This is an epic and just a soap opera ...so enjoy the acting of the individual actors and the settings can be admired and the music is good,the costumes are well designed...and many more interesting things to see so enjoy and leave it guys...this is a pleasant forum
gil-99 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
basically gandhari is not a weak women and also diru is not male dominant character...he has his own sorrows and wounds and that too they are deep and so it takes time to heal...that is dhiru is reacting so far and as per my knowledge...both diru and duro listened to gandharis words...and duro is not a devil like person...if saguni is playing games in hastinapur then what krishna also did is the similar act ...but he took pandavas side as his sister is married to arjun...
gandhari always portayed as a honourable character in mahabharath not a weak character...she was lovable wife and also a mother to her children...
basically from day 1 both pandavas and kauravas didnt have good terms...then if it so then how can be kauravas can be alone blamed?
particularly talking about dice game it was pandavas who attempted every time in the game by loosing everything at the same time in the game...so everyone has to be blamed...a kind request dont talk any characters as a vamp and for god sake this is an epic and all the characters had their importance...just try to admire or atleast stop criticizing the characters...
BLR_babe thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
i didnt mean weak as in a doormat .. but being so virtuous and understanding lady she couldnt influence or stand against shakuni , her husband or son ...
this thought also came to me by reading this article

which describes panch kanya which includes kunti

she was a very devout and lovely wife and mother .. i am not trying to tell anyone is evil .. all of the characters possessed human emotions .. so they did act according to what felt right to them ..

Edited by BlrBabe - 11 years ago